• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

dekline

Picked up this beauty. Boulevard's- Bourbon Barrel Quad (BBQ)

bourbonbarrelquad-100614.jpg

ooooo ima keep an eye out for this

Seth C

This is absolutely not the first step in them selling out to a gigantic brewing conglomerate. No sir. And even if they did, it's not like that will change how they operate their business. Quality will in no way change.

It's Southern Tier. Unless you like your beer with chocolate syrup or vanilla extract, you're not losing much.

Uh, weird question:

How do some of you drink so much beer?

I mean, I'm only a student and I work at a brewery, and I already feel like I drink too much. Yet looking at Untappd, I seem to be going almost slow compared to some. And from what I can see, you guys still lead a successful grown up life.

Not judging btw, just curious.

Most times when I'm out I drink flights -- especially when I'm at a brewery or a bar is doing a brewery night. Tuesday, for example, I had 4 different beers from Prairie but only drank about 18 ounces of beer (although about 4.5 of it was a 14% Bomb).

Seth C

Some of their normal beers are fine. They're known for their huge-ass sugar bombs, but that all-Mosaic pale they made back in the spring wasn't bad.

Don't get me wrong, they make fine enough beer, but the stuff they are known for gets old fast (and takes shortcuts) and the rest is...good but not irreplaceable in any way. I say that despite, in my early craft drinking days, loving Southern Tier. They just haven't been able to maintain my appreciate among the other "large" craft breweries.

You're correct. XXIV is 2012.

I've got a vertical of every year of BB Anniversary (XX through XXVI) that I'm thinking of doing for my buddy's 40th birthday next month.

I've also got a 2006 Abyss (first year), but I've decided that my wife and I are splitting that for our 10-year wedding anniversary in 2016.

So I was in the neighborhood of one of my local spots this afternoon and stopped in for lunch. Had occasion to try Fenrir Nr. 26 while I was there. Can not say I'm a fan, but how often do you get to try an IPA smoked over burning sheep shit?

Liquor Barn has Xcoveza on tap for growler fills. Might have to do that. They got in Zombie Dust earlier today, but sold out before I got there. Did grab the new Stone Enjoy By though.

ShinAmano

Heading to hardywood today...they are having three seperate stout releases. One aged in apple brandy barrels ... tricky milk stout. One a hazelnut stout ...think nutella in a glass...and one variation of tricky aged in reservoir bourbon barrels.

Should be a good day for a stout fan.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I bought a lot of weird beer.

15481284796_2c75652037_z.jpg

• De Molen - Bergamot IPA
  • Omnipollo - Leon
  • Omnipollo - Mazarin
  • ’t IJ - IJbok
  • Hommeles - Dorstvlegel
  • 4 Pines - Pale Ale
  • ’t IJ - Dubbelbok
  • Ilkley, Rooie Dop & Oersoep - De Passie
  • Maximus - Volante
  • Cervezas Yria-Guinea Pigs - IPAporter
  • Oersoep - Into the Wild
  • Evil Twin - noma Oxalis
  • BBNo - 11:03
  • Dochter v/d Korenaar - Charbon

Just did my first mash using rice hulls. Holy crap. I'm never not using them again. I've never had my wort run so smooth or so clear. And this is on a mash that's half wheat.

Completely worth the thirty cents per batch.

Seth C

I'm drinking a wet hopped IPA, in Kentucky, for distantmantra. I had to choose between two. Went with Country Boy's 2nd Crop Wet Hop.

Tubie

I don't really like beer in general, but there's something about Sam Adams Octoberfest that I love.

12 of those in, pretty fucking drunk, 6 more to go!

Linius

jbsXFLMIQ14yF3_xs.jpg

Loving this one.

Also really happy that the local liquor store is stocking all kinds of beers all of a sudden. They finally designed a nice little corner for beers which used to be only wine and stronger alcohol. So now I have pretty much 25 new kinds of beer I've never had before to choose from. I'll be enjoying myself the coming months.

fijim

Banned
Had Double Barrel Hunahpu's last night..... one of the best beers I have ever had. Up there with Vanilla Bean Dark Lord, Murda'd Out Stout, Bourbon County Rare etc... and it might be the best out of those too.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
jbsXFLMIQ14yF3_xs.jpg

Loving this one.

Also really happy that the local liquor store is stocking all kinds of beers all of a sudden. They finally designed a nice little corner for beers which used to be only wine and stronger alcohol. So now I have pretty much 25 new kinds of beer I've never had before to choose from. I'll be enjoying myself the coming months.

The OG IJ beers (Natte, Zatte & Struis) are all pretty good stuff. Good development that your store got the memo beer is booming :)

Sotha_Sil

Had some NOLA Mechahopzilla to watch the LSU-Gata game on Saturday. It was quite enjoyable. (Picture from internet)

MechaCan_FrontBack.png

What's everyone's opinion on canned craft beer? The local brewery here in Baton Rouge, Tin Roof, only does canned beers. They've argued their point well (stays fresh longer, easier to package/ship/store/carry, cools quicker, lighter weight, recyclable *some areas of Louisiana don't recycle bottles*, and the snap-on holders are nice to use). I originally didn't buy their arguments, but I'm starting to come around to it.

Milchjon

In Germany, beer cans have a terrible reputation, as they're still associated with bottom tier beer and environmental impact.

It's probably the #2 topic we try to educate people on in our store/brewery tours behind the Reinheitsgebot shenanigans.

Link

The Autumn Wind
HWhat's everyone's opinion on canned craft beer? The local brewery here in Baton Rouge, Tin Roof, only does canned beers. They've argued their point well (stays fresh longer, easier to package/ship/store/carry, cools quicker, lighter weight, recyclable *some areas of Louisiana don't recycle bottles*, and the snap-on holders are nice to use). I originally didn't buy their arguments, but I'm starting to come around to it.
Nothing wrong with canned beer at all. It does actually keep it fresher. Just don't drink it from the can.

In Germany, beer cans have a terrible reputation, as they're still associated with bottom tier beer and environmental impact.

It's probably the #2 topic we try to educate people on in our store/brewery tours behind the Reinheitsgebot shenanigans.

It's not much better in the US, even people who are self-professed craft beer fans still frequently frown upon cans. It's hard to reverse decades of conditioning.

What's everyone's opinion on canned craft beer? The local brewery here in Baton Rouge, Tin Roof, only does canned beers. They've argued their point well (stays fresh longer, easier to package/ship/store/carry, cools quicker, lighter weight, recyclable *some areas of Louisiana don't recycle bottles*, and the snap-on holders are nice to use). I originally didn't buy their arguments, but I'm starting to come around to it.

So let's break it down. Can advantages:

1) Keeps out 100% of light, which prevents skunking
2) Easier to package
3) Saves on packaging costs, shipping costs because of lighter weight, etc
4) Cools quicker
5) Aren't super fragile and messy like glass bottles
6) Don't require bottle openers
7) Easier to hike with because of lighter weight, more acceptable to bring to beaches, etc

Can disadvantages:

1) Used to be associated with cheap beer
2) Tastes like a can if you drink it directly from the can (which no one should be doing)

Cans are great. More breweries should be (and are) using them

Jarnet87

Canned doesn't bother me. One of my favorite breweries is Oskar Blues and they do almost all of their stuff in cans. Cigar City, Bells, and Founders also use cans. When I buy Bells Two Hearted Ale I usually go can over bottle.

I think Oskar Blues also created the Crowler.

Linius

The OG IJ beers (Natte, Zatte & Struis) are all pretty good stuff. Good development that your store got the memo beer is booming :)

Yeah, it's Gall & Gall inside Albert Heijn. So a pretty small one. When I asked them a few months back why there's so much choice on their webshop and none in the store they said the store was too small. Apparently they reconsidered :p

They also have Jopen and 't IJ bock beer :D

Just finished brewing up the second batch of watermelon berliner weisse. Hopefully this one lasts a bit longer. I've got another empty keg right next to it, so I think I'll brew up those wild hops once this one comes out of primary next week.

dekline

I couldn't find that boulevard bourbon barrel quad, unfortunately. It was a toss up between the double-wide IPA and the two jokers double-wit so I went with the witbier.

Got a bottle of Christmas Eve In a New York City Hotel Room by Evil Twin, Founder's Harvest Ale, and Pirate Bomb by Prairie. Really excited about Pirate Bomb.

Seth C

Got a bottle of Christmas Eve In a New York City Hotel Room by Evil Twin, Founder's Harvest Ale, and Pirate Bomb by Prairie. Really excited about Pirate Bomb.

I saw that Evil Twin beer on tap last night but instead chose to have the Stone Xocoveza and Founders new imperial black IPA, Dark Penance.

I saw that Evil Twin beer on tap last night but instead chose to have the Stone Xocoveza and Founders new imperial black IPA, Dark Penance.

Absolutely loved the Xocoveza, and Dark Penance was good as well, but won't be getting it again. I think Stone Sublimely Self Righteous has spoiled me from other beers like that.

Seth C

Absolutely loved the Xocoveza, and Dark Penance was good as well, but won't be getting it again. I think Stone Sublimely Self Righteous has spoiled me from other beers like that.

Yeah, it was definitely a good beer but not my favorite black IPA by any means. I've had Sublimely at Stone's beergarden, but Country Boy's Heart of Dankness remains my favorite in the category (and it pushes 10%).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I could use some advice on American beer. My local go-to bottle shop has some American beers in. I've tried some stuff from Anderson and Anchor before, but most of the stuff is completely new for me. Most are reasonable priced (between €2,50 and €3,50) except the Rogue Chocolate Stout, which is €8. Anything in particular you guys recommend?

Anderson - Boont
Anderson - IPA
Anderson - Brother David's Triple
Anderson - Healch o' Hops
Anderson - Bourbon Barrel Stout
Brooklyn - Pale Ale
Brooklyn - Lager
Anchor - Old Foghorn
Anchor - Lager
Anchor - California Lager
Anchor - Liberty Ale
Rogue - Chocolate Stout
Rogue - Juniper Pale Ale <-- this sounds interesting?

HiResDes

I could use some advice on American beer. My local go-to bottle shop has some American beers in. I've tried some stuff from Anderson and Anchor before, but most of the stuff is completely new for me. Most are reasonable priced (between &#8364;2,50 and &#8364;3,50) except the Rogue Chocolate Stout, which is &#8364;8. Anything in particular you guys recommend?

Anderson - Boont
Anderson - IPA
Brooklyn - Pale Ale
Brooklyn - Lager
Anchor - Old Foghorn
Anchor - Lager
Anchor - Liberty Ale
Rogue - Chocolate Stout

Out of those I'd recommend the Anchor Liberty Ale and Anderson IPA first and foremost as those are pretty good representations of the style and are quite accessible if you like hops.

Anchor's Old Foghorn is pretty much THE entry barleywine that is readily available in most places in America. It's a staple and I think it's good to try different styles at least once, as long as they are represented well. With that being said, be warned it's quite boozy and is most definitely a sipper in every sense of the word.

Anderons's Boont is a very solid Amber, which is very season appropriate and pretty much evokes fall with it's auburn color and carmel, roasted malts, and slighty zesty finish.

Things I would readily avoid include:
The lagers (pretty vanilla, boring beers)
The Anderson Triple (poor representation of the style, flavorless in comparison to a well made Tripel)
Rogue Juniper Ale (the juniper character is the only notable part of this watery offering)
Anderson Bourbon Barrel Stout (Not too bad in taste, but just is a very weak Bourbon beer that lacks the punch that makes the style special)

Milchjon

I could use some advice on American beer. My local go-to bottle shop has some American beers in. I've tried some stuff from Anderson and Anchor before, but most of the stuff is completely new for me. Most are reasonable priced (between €2,50 and €3,50) except the Rogue Chocolate Stout, which is €8. Anything in particular you guys recommend?

Anderson - Boont
Anderson - IPA
Brooklyn - Pale Ale
Brooklyn - Lager
Anchor - Old Foghorn
Anchor - Lager
Anchor - Liberty Ale
Rogue - Chocolate Stout

I second the Anchor recommendations.

Anderson Valley can be good, but they suffer from the travel to Europe like few other beers we've had. Dunno if the Dutch importer is different, so maybe they don't take as long to Holland as to Germany.

I personally really enjoyed the Brooklyn Lager. I don't think it's much like the lagers you usually get in Europe, reminded me of tea.

A friend really loved the Rogue Chocolate Stout, I haven't tried it myself though.

The Juniper Ale is a huge letdown and probably the last thing I'd recommend on the list.

Top Bottom