• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

codhand

Anderson - Boont
Anderson - IPA
Anderson - Brother David's Triple
Anderson - Healch o' Hops
Anderson - Bourbon Barrel Stout
Brooklyn - Pale Ale
Brooklyn - Lager
Anchor - Old Foghorn
Anchor - Lager
Anchor - California Lager
Anchor - Liberty Ale
Rogue - Chocolate Stout
Rogue - Juniper Pale Ale <-- this sounds interesting?

Where do you live again?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
HiResDes, Milchjon, thanks for the recommendations! Guess I’ll pick up Anchor’s Old Foghorn (could be interesting to compare it with the Belgian barley wines I’m familiar with) and Anderson’s Boon since I really like Amber beers. I’ve also been growing on IPA’s so Liberty Ale and Anderson’s IPA’s sound good too. The Brooklyn Lager isn’t expensive so I guess I could try it since it isn’t exactly available all the time anyway. Too bad about the Juniper, it sounded like an interesting flavour to combine with beer.

codhand: I live in the Netherlands. Walhalla when it comes to the availability of quality Belgian and German beer and with an ever increasing and improving local craft beer scene, but American beer isn’t all over the place and when bottle shops are carrying, it’s pricey as hell. Slowly changing with stuff like Green Flash, Anchor, Anderson, Sixpoint, Rogue and other showing up every now and then.

Seth C

Your first bourbon barrel beer definitely should NOT be Anderson Valley's, or Kentucky Ale's Bourbon Barrel Ale for that matter.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Honestly if I were you I'd just drink more De Molen.

Got that covered :).

15534760016_c888e60a9a_n.jpg

But there's this saying here, wat van ver komt, is lekker, which roughly translates to 'what's from afar is sweet/rare' - it's interesting to try.

Got that covered :).

15534760016_c888e60a9a_n.jpg

But there's this saying here, wat van ver komt, is lekker, which roughly translates to 'what's from afar is sweet/rare' - it's interesting to try.
I agree completely with your Dutch phrase to the point that I'm heading to Belgium this summer to taste the sweet from afar at its source.

The juniper beer from Rogue goes one way or another. I've had it on tap at the pilot brewery in Eugene,OR and it was amazing and I've had bottles that were stored without refrigeration and they were cardboardy and dull. I recommend checking dates on the bottles.

HiResDes

The new Stone Stout is absolutely amazing on tap. Xovasac smells like roasted baked beans and semi sweet chocolate and was one of the most flavorful and yet ridiculous tasty stouts I've ever had evoking everything that might come to mind when you think about of Aztec chocolate.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I agree completely with your Dutch phrase to the point that I'm heading to Belgium this summer to taste the sweet from afar at its source.

The juniper beer from Rogue goes one way or another. I've had it on tap at the pilot brewery in Eugene,OR and it was amazing and I've had bottles that were stored without refrigeration and they were cardboardy and dull. I recommend checking dates on the bottles.

Oh, you'll have a blast in Belgium! Every big city usually has a couple of great beerpubs with fantastic selections and stuff you usually only see in bottles on tap. Even not specifically beer-oriented pubs usually have a great selection and the amount of bottles supermarkets are carrying is out of this world. Depending on where you go (Flanders, Ardennes) there's also a ridiculous amount of breweries to visit. I usually load up in a Carrefour or Delhaize when I get the chance, prices are way better then in the Netherlands (lower taxes I think).

I'll check dates on the bottles, see if it is somewhat fresh, probably not I'm afraid though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I harp on this beer to everybody, but I still think Faction Pale Ale is the best beer brewed in northern California. Give me Faction Pale over Pliny any day.

All bout that mosaic indeed.

Salaadin

I don't drink a lot of pumpkin beer but I think that saucony creek maple mistress is the best I've ever had. I almost don't want to try anymore.

Alright, going to do both Breakfast Stout 2012 and 2014 tonight to see how they compare. Been waiting for a night to drink a bottle of both. No matter what, I win.

I harp on this beer to everybody, but I still think Faction Pale Ale is the best beer brewed in northern California. Give me Faction Pale over Pliny any day.

All bout that mosaic indeed.

Faction's been killing it, especially with the pale ales and IPAs. Wish more of their beer would make it to LA.

Socreges

Banned
cantillon-gueuze-drapeau-belge-75cl.jpg

Delicious. Was wary before as the Lou Pepe Kriek fell flat for me (I'm convinced now there was something wrong with it), but now I'm a believer. Gonna have to see if they've got some left on the shelf. Worth cellaring?

Delicious. Was wary before as the Lou Pepe Kriek fell flat for me (I'm convinced now there was something wrong with it), but now I'm a believer. Gonna have to see if they've got some left on the shelf. Worth cellaring?

Definitely worth cellaring. From what I've heard Cantillon's regular gueuze really comes into its own after a few (or many) additional years. I've only had it fresh and love it (damn I wish I could find it on the shelf) but apparently it's far better with some additional aging.

PG2G

Definitely worth cellaring. From what I've heard Cantillon's regular gueuze really comes into its own after a few (or many) additional years. I've only had it fresh and love it (damn I wish I could find it on the shelf) but apparently it's far better with some additional aging.

You going to the Shelton Brother's Festival in November? If not, you should. Bottle list looks kinda crazy

Had occasion to try an Odell Myrcenary over the weekend. What a ridiculous beer. Not at all subtle. Their website says it's only 70 IBU, but I don't know if I've ever had a beer with such a sharp, bracing bitterness.

You going to the Shelton Brother's Festival in November? If not, you should. Bottle list looks kinda crazy

Ugh I wish, that tap/bottle list is ridiculous. I'm sure the Cantillon/3F lines are gonna be crazy but it'd be worth it, even disregarding the other breweries present. San Pedro's just a bit too far for the logistics to work out for me.

Socreges

Banned
Excellent. That's what I thought I'd heard, but I'd also heard low-ABV beers don't cellar well. Obviously more complicated than that.

Uh, yeah.
mk05T.jpg
That is someone's personal cellar?

Also, Le Terroir has finally arrived in BC!

Excellent. That's what I thought I'd heard, but I'd also heard low-ABV beers don't cellar well. Obviously more complicated than that.

Despite their low ABV lambics are one of your best bets for long-term aging, alone with, say, huge English barleywines and whatnot. Obviously there's variation from bottle to bottle and the kind of lambic it is (typical aging things like fruit fading, for example) but I've heard of bottles drinking well after 20 or more years. Not that I have the patience/money for that of course ;_;

And yeah, that's what Cantillon looks like. Stacks and stacks of bottles like that. They've apparently even been renting out old bunkers to further experiment with aging!

Socreges

Banned
Fascinating read. Remind me to visit Brussels in 20 years.

I've really got to figure out my cellaring situation. I've been using just my fridge for over a year now (W00tstout, Mirror Mirror, Singularity, etc), but it isn't sustainable as I add more and more, not to mention that the beer will change much more slowly under such cold temperatures, as I understand it.

Time to buy a beer fridge and fix it at 13/55, methinks.

PG2G

I'm planning to pick up a glass door True cooler, pretty cheap to done across on Craigslist. Probably you're done UV film on the glass

Though to be honest, Chris Lively's personal cellar is almost that insane. It's an incredible experience. He has bottles from the early 1900s.

I'm sure it is. That's just one cellar at Cantillon that you walk by on the self-guided tour through the brewery. Think about the stuff Jean doesn't let people see.

Favorite beer at the moment is Norwegian brewery Kinn Foreign Extra Double Imperial Russian Export Stout Porter called Svartekunst (dark arts). The blackest beer I ever saw, 750ml 10.5 abv. I generally prefer stouts, and atm this is the king of them.

Linius

Having a 'Willeke' from De Prael now, Amsterdam beer. It's a blonde beer basically (tripel), but not sweet. The brewery says it's a great beer for the dark days, and they're right. It's good!

Nose Master

I work for a beer distribution company near Milwaukee, and god damn it. Every single day someone requests a beer warm (rather than out of the cooler) because they think temperature fluctuation will affect the quality. I politely try explaining that it being warm (room temperature) will mildly affect it over a long period of time, but going from cold to room temperature and back again won't make a noticeable difference. It also happens repeatedly during distribution.

It's the worst. Also, I got a bottle of

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, and I'm pretty excited.

Bitches Brew is pretty delicious, one of the few times Dogfish Head succeeds with all that weird added stuff imo. Not sure I could drink a whole 750ml bottle of it but it's a damn tasty stout.

I missed out on it the first batch but Noble re-released their Nelson Showers and it's really good. I haven't loved the other Showers I've had aside from Citra but this beats even that one out. I still prefer Alpine Nelson but this is surprisingly close. I love nelson hops but when used badly the beers just become a weird oily mess. That's not the case here. All those tropical fruit and white wine flavors I love from nelson and it hides the alcohol way too well. Mosaic next please!

One time in college a housemate's minifridge got unplugged and he insisted that all his beer went bad because it got to room temperature and he gave it all away lol. Not that I complained, got some free Oberon and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale out of it.

Socreges

Banned
I work for a beer distribution company near Milwaukee, and god damn it. Every single day someone requests a beer warm (rather than out of the cooler) because they think temperature fluctuation will affect the quality. I politely try explaining that it being warm (room temperature) will mildly affect it over a long period of time, but going from cold to room temperature and back again won't make a noticeable difference. It also happens repeatedly during distribution.

It's the worst.
You don't want the beer changing temperature (ie, from cold to room temp) many times, though, correct? As an extreme, how about cellaring beer with many fluctuations over time, sometimes hitting room temperature?

I'll have to read up on the science behind it some day.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
You don't want the beer changing temperature (ie, from cold to room temp) many times, though, correct? As an extreme, how about cellaring beer with many fluctuations over time, sometimes hitting room temperature?

I'll have to read up on the science behind it some day.
You don't want a beer to sit at room temperature at all. But the fluctuation doesn't matter.

DiscoJon

Banned
Went to a Roundtable Pizza joint tonight and they had Stone Arrogant Bastard Bourbon Barrel Aged on tap. Very tasty! I think I still like the Oaked version better though.

PG2G

I gotta admit, I love the beer scene in Portland even more so than in San Diego. I fell in love with the places like BeerMongers and Tin Bucket that are combined taprooms and bottle shops where you can just grab a bottle from the cooler and have them open it up for you. Can't go wrong with how closer together everything is too.

Also doesn't hurt that BA Biscotti Break was available in a bunch of shops we went to :p

Glad you had fun in Portland. Our bottle shops are set up just like that in WA, but unless it's a rare bottle that's in-house only, I just take them home sO you don't pay a bottle fee. Id rather just a pint off draft while I shop.

I got to try Boneyard's Bone-A-Fide this past weekend. Never had a pale that I liked better.

Bone-a-Fide is amazing. If you come to WA make sure you try Bale Breaker's Field 41. It's better.

codhand

met the Stillwater guy Brian, he's a laid back, mild mannered bro living in Williamsburg, BK and traveling the world brewing awesome beers. he's a former IT guy, wtf i need to quit my job. haha

Seth C

I gotta admit, I love the beer scene in Portland even more so than in San Diego. I fell in love with the places like BeerMongers and Tin Bucket that are combined taprooms and bottle shops where you can just grab a bottle from the cooler and have them open it up for you. Can't go wrong with how closer together everything is too.

Also doesn't hurt that BA Biscotti Break was available in a bunch of shops we went to :p

For all the amazing breweries in San Diego, and there are many, damn everything is so spread apart. Makes it almost useless. Everything is a drive from everywhere.

Top Bottom