• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Seth C

i love that Stone prices these releases so reasonably, i hope that never changes.

I suppose it also matters how many layers of profit have to be added to it per state, but I'd say a sixtel of that keg runs around $130 which would mean they would lose money at $3 a pint. Even if it's $120 for a 1/4 their cost is $2 a pint and I can't imagine it's cheaper than that.

$3 a pint is dirt cheap for that beer, either way you cut it.

Milchjon

As is the case in any other domain, New England is dominating.

And stuff like The Alchemist isn't even in there due to their criteria.

Maine
3qmW8DL.png

Seth C

Stone also makes a ton of beer that goes all over the place. They're not some tiny brewery who is struggling to stay afloat.

So does Founders but that keg of KBS cost the bar $250.

I'm not really concerned with whether Stone makes money. Obviously they do, but I doubt the gas station is turning a profit on it.

A friend of mine is driving across the country this week helping someone move and wanted to know some good beer he should be looking out for that are really regional. Is around Rapid City, South Dakota and is heading to the northern VA/DC area. So basically going though SD, MN, WI, IL, IN, and OH. Have him looking out for some New Glarus stuff while going though WI and something from Three Floyds while in IN, as we don't get anything from either over in VA. Any other suggestions/recommendations?

In OH check out Jackie O's, FatHeads, Brew Kettle, & MadTree. If he's anywhere near Athens it would be worth his while to hit the Jackie O's brewpub.

In OH check out Jackie O's, FatHeads, Brew Kettle, & MadTree. If he's anywhere near Athens it would be worth his while to hit the Jackie O's brewpub.

Cool thanks for the recommendations. Sadly, for him I guess, he is just passing though and hasn't been able to make any real time at any brewpubs on his trip.

I just want more 375ml bottles, 750s are too much most of the time.

Interestingly, Stone's one-off collaborations like Mint Chocolate Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout, Green Tea IPA, etc and some special releases like Smoked Porter w Vanilla Beans/Chipotle used to come in 12oz bottles but they switched to 22oz bombers relatively recently. Neither are particularly good deals for consumers compared to six-packs but I preferred the smaller serving size for things that I wouldn't really want to drink a whole bomber of. 750ml bottles are usually too much for me but damn if a bottle of Hottenroth or Cuvee Rene doesn't disappear instantly once I open it.

edit: fuck it, please bring that Green Tea IPA back in bombers please please please

DiscoJon

Banned
So does Founders but that keg of KBS cost the bar $250.

I'm not really concerned with whether Stone makes money. Obviously they do, but I doubt the gas station is turning a profit on it.

The mini-mart (it's more like a bodega not a gas station, they've got all kinds of stuff there) I got the growler fill at does a flat fee of $12 for all fill-ups, no matter what beer it is. They had the Stone that I got and few other "higher end" beers, but at the same time they had 3 local brews on tap that they probably got for dirt cheap. I'd be willing to bet they are making a very small profit or breaking even on the small growler filling station they have.

Headed down to Portland on Tuesday for the day. Gonna check out the new Fat Heads outpost along with my regular stop at Hair of the Dog. Maybe Breakside, too.

lemme guess...a washington beer
comeon.png

Yessir. Regular KDS won silver at GABF this year. Fremont just released Coffee and Spice Wars variants last Friday.

And hey now, you guys gush incessentaly about a bunch of midwest beer I don't get. It's only fair.

pretty sure when you sell your company to AB InBev no fucks are given.

much better buy than Blue Point at least.

You've never been to Bend, I take it. The owners don't seem to give a fuck, but people in Bend will.

10 Barrel's standard lineup is middle of the road. They do some small batch stuff that's not bad, and their Crush series of Berlinerweisses are awesome.

codhand

You've never been to Bend, I take it. The owners don't seem to give a fuck, but people in Bend will.

10 Barrel's standard lineup is middle of the road. They do some small batch stuff that's not bad, and their Crush series of Berlinerweisses are awesome.

yeah, i meant the owners are unconcerned with what the people of Bend think or else they wouldnt do it

and, yes ive been to Bend, and Portland, and Seattle, i know they love some beer. this sort of thing has only been increasing in frequency though, even if it's unusual for Bend. much more depressing to see 10 Barrel go than Blue Point, that's for sure.

They actually disabled the comments on the announcement video. Not surprising.

I know some people who work at 10 Barrel. Wonder what they'll do, if anything. They just announced the head brewer for their Portland pub yesterday, too.

codhand

They actually disabled the comments on the announcement video. Not surprising.

I know some people who work at 10 Barrel. Wonder what they'll do, if anything. They just announced the head brewer for their Portland pub yesterday, too.

im sure if you ask 10 Barrel theyd be quick to say nothing will change except for having a wider distribution. time will tell

im sure if you ask 10 Barrel theyd be quick to say nothing will change except for having a wider distribution. time will tell

I bet they'll offload production of their 6-pack beers to ABInBev (Apoclypse IPA is already everywhere in WA and OR) and focus more on their smaller stuff in-house.

fijim

Banned
AB InBev bought 10 Barrel out of Bend, OR. WHAT THE FUCK.

http://www.brewbound.com/news/anheuser-busch-inbev-to-acquire-10-barrel-brewing

Bend is so ridiculously anti-corporate. I can't image how the community is going to react to this.

Crazy for a beer town like that. But if Goose Island is any indication, they will be just fine. GI has been releasing great new beers, and the quality has not dropped off at all on their special beers like Bourbon County and the sour "sisters" series. In fact their distribution footprint has increased, so more people are getting their beer. They are making more BCBS each year, and the quality has not suffered.

I think AB recognizes that these craft breweries know what they are doing, and it is best to let them continue doing that.

Grabbed a four pack of Backwoods Bastard (almost got more, but figured I would let others get some too) and the Arrogant Bastard Box. The bastard box is a steal for $21. Four bombers in the box, including one you can't find anymore? Damn good deal.

I was sad though. The place had a few bottles of Zombie Dust behind the counter, but said they were already bought. Dammit. I will try it someday.

EDIT: Enjoying some of the Backwoods right now. Might have to go get more. So yummy.

Tempted to grab more Backwoods and hold it for Thanksgiving. In laws are coming, and they are always wanting to try great beers.

Holding out hope that Liquor Barn still has Xocoveza at the growler station then. Then I can get a huge growler of it for Thanksgiving dinner. The guy told me today that if they run out of that, they have Double Bastard, Lucky Bastard, Imperial Biscotti Break, and Breakfast Stout coming in the next week or two for the growler station. So Thanksgiving will be very yummy here.

Tempted to grab more Backwoods and hold it for Thanksgiving. In laws are coming, and they are always wanting to try great beers.

Holding out hope that Liquor Barn still has Xocoveza at the growler station then. Then I can get a huge growler of it for Thanksgiving dinner. The guy told me today that if they run out of that, they have Double Bastard, Lucky Bastard, Imperial Biscotti Break, and Breakfast Stout coming in the next week or two for the growler station. So Thanksgiving will be very yummy here.

Hydro Flask growler. Keep it sealed and it will be just fine at Thanksgiving.

http://www.hydroflask.com/products/hydro-flask-insulated-water-bottle-and-beer-growler-64oz

Heck, a regular growler would probably be fine as well for a few weeks if you leave it closed.

Yeah especially with huge beers like those a normal growler should be fine for thanksgiving. I'm jealous of states with non-idiotic growler laws. California's slowly getting better but it's still such a huge pain even to fill growlers at breweries because you don't know if they'll accept even a blank growler if it's not their own. Whereas over in Texas places will even fill 2 liter plastic bottles ugh

Yeah especially with huge beers like those a normal growler should be fine for thanksgiving. I'm jealous of states with non-idiotic growler laws. California's slowly getting better but it's still such a huge pain even to fill growlers at breweries because you don't know if they'll accept even a blank growler if it's not their own. Whereas over in Texas places will even fill 2 liter plastic bottles ugh

Washington and Oregon's growler laws are pretty damn amazing.

Grabbed 2 4-packs of Backwoods, Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose, a growler of a local and a Rochefort 8 magnum (1.5L). Already had a magnum from '10 in the cellar, but I'll let this one go a few more years.

dekline

The liquor store here had a couple in stock a while back. I think the price was quite a bit higher per ounce than the regular bottles, which I didn't really understand.

That's a bummer. I remember the 11.2 ounce bottles being pretty expensive.

I have 44 bottles of Avery's barrel aged series in my fridge and Tweak is coming out in less than 2 weeks. I need somewhere to put this stuff.

It was $38. Pretty much every large format bottle I've seen is more per ounce. Nature of the beast.

Yeah, makes sense given the increased cost of shipping and glass. Magnums and 3L bottles are cool but a lot of it's novelty factor which is why Stone somehow sells those Double Bastard 3L bottles. I've heard that beers (and wine) age better in larger bottles but it seems like something that's hard to gauge accurately, anybody more familiar with the specifics? That said, I'd do terrible, terrible things for an aged (or fresh) 3L of Temptation and then drink it all by myself in one sitting.

Couldn't resist picking up another Crooked Stave Surette. Damn this beer is incredible, I know it says "saison" but it really tastes like a slightly lighter lambic. Everything I've had from CS has been amazing, I'd love to try their more limited stuff. Now I'm drinking a New Belgium Accumulation which isn't very good. I had it last year out of the bottle and thought it was OK so maybe it's because I'm drinking out of the glass but the "white" part of White IPA is overwhelming the mosaic and amarillo hops. Mostly just tastes like Froot Loops ugh

PG2G

Rumpkin and Pump[KY]n have finally made it to stores near me, when did you start seeing them? Either of them justify the price tag? Tweak sounds great, too.

I think both could use a year lol. Pump[ky]n tastes like straight bourbon. Haven't had a fresh rumkin yet.

I think both could use a year lol. Pump[ky]n tastes like straight bourbon. Haven't had a fresh rumkin yet.

Yeah I guess you get better bang for your buck with those ABVs but it's pretty intimidating, not huge on super boozy beers generally but it might be fun to age one until next Halloween or something. Really wish their sours would show up near me more often, though.

PG2G

Yeah I guess you get better bang for your buck with those ABVs but it's pretty intimidating, not huge on super boozy beers generally but it might be fun to age one until next Halloween or something. Really wish their sours would show up near me more often, though.

Only Avery sour I've seen is Rufus Corvus. Their BA series goes into distro depending on the number of cases they've made.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I picked up a couple of new Ommegang offerings yesterday. Upside Down Sour Brown and the latest Game of Thrones offering, Valar Morghulis. None of the previous GoT releases have really done much for me, but I've gotten some good feedback on this one, so we'll see. I plan to try them out this weekend.

Crazy for a beer town like that. But if Goose Island is any indication, they will be just fine. GI has been releasing great new beers, and the quality has not dropped off at all on their special beers like Bourbon County and the sour "sisters" series. In fact their distribution footprint has increased, so more people are getting their beer. They are making more BCBS each year, and the quality has not suffered.

I think AB recognizes that these craft breweries know what they are doing, and it is best to let them continue doing that.

This was an interesting comment I saw in an article concerning the situation.

Here is a quote left on facebook by the former National Sales Manager for Ninkasi Brewing, Marty Ochs:

“Good For Them, but how did you not see this coming? REALLY? Owners are the sons of a former A-B Wholesaler, Business was built as an investment piece from the get go, rebranding became non-descript to distance from location, they are only in A-B houses, A-B houses put a full court press on the brand for two years, AB internally was shopping for a brand for 4 years now, A-B is looking to solidify the I-5 corridor of distributor ownership (Olympic Eagle will fall soon!), and the cost of competing regionally as well as nationally is not possible without this sort of investment, see Reyes and the Laguinitas relationship. People thought Ninkasi would fall, but they cost too much, this was a smarter move.”

http://newschoolbeer.com/2014/11/anheuser-buschs-purchase-10-barrel-can-ruin-industry.html

Top Bottom