• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Socreges

Banned
Sometimes you need a no man, I just dropped fifty bucks on like four beers.
k9APflh.jpg
The gf used to perform that role, but then I got her into sours. Now she encourages me. :(

MvM1KQB.jpg

Quick trip to Portland yesterday. Had Pallet Jack, Blind Pig and Pliny at APEX. Pallet Jack was hands down better. Love Barley Browns.

Sampled a bunch at Cascade and then stopped at Breakside for some nachos and a pomegranate gose.

Personally, I think it's a little too woody when fresh. Needs some time to mellow out.

I am enjoying the woody taste actually. And the boozy taste is strong, yet it tastes sweet.

Still keeping two bottles for Thanksgiving to share with my father in law.

And liquor barn just got Lucky Bastard on tap. Supposedly they are getting Double Bastard soon.

I'm a bit late for stout day but after a busy past couple days and the cooler weather here I finally picked up the bottle of Big Bad Baptist sitting around in the store around the corner. I had a sample of it on tap last night and liked it so I decided to treat myself. Turns out the bottle is batch #15 from August 2013 so this one has a little age on it. It's still delicious but I liked it more fresh. This isn't oxidized or anything but it's lost some barrel taste. The heat has definitely faded a bit which is nice, lots of cocoa and dark fruit with a little tobacco. Either way I definitely understand the praise, especially given its fairly reasonable price. It's not on the level of, say, Parabola, but it's far better than something like Dragon's Milk.

Also got to try Green Flash's 12th Anniversary dry-hopped sour (which was ok, like a hoppy belgian pale that was slightly soured) and Bruery Rueuze (good but not complex enough). Oh, and Blind Pig, which I'd missed a lot!

Socreges

Banned
Stone is slowly making its way into Canada. I've seen their flagship IPA and Ruination appear just in the last couple weeks. This can only lead to good things.

... super expensive, though. Same with anything Lagunitas. Their success here despite the high markup probably encouraged Stone.

Socreges

Banned
Out of curiosity, how much do Stone and Lagunitas cost up there?
About $19 for a 6-pack while the average is $13 for craft beer.

If government stores in BC begin carrying them, we'd be looking at $17 or less. Mathilda/Sofie run $9.50 at private stores but about $8 at government stores, for example. The disparity there requires more explanation that I don't know would interest anyone.

About $19 for a 6-pack while the average is $13 for craft beer.

If government stores in BC begin carrying them, we'd be looking at $17 or less. Mathilda/Sofie run $9.50 at private stores but about $8 at government stores, for example. The disparity there requires more explanation that I don't know would interest anyone.

Damn that's pretty expensive. I can't remember if they date their bottles or not but how fresh are the IPAs by the time they make it there? For that price I'd hope they're fresh!

Drpunch

Neo Member
Damn that's pretty expensive. I can't remember if they date their bottles or not but how fresh are the IPAs by the time they make it there? For that price I'd hope they're fresh!

In Alberta, it's roughly $9-10 for a bomber and around $22 for a 6 pack. To be fair, aside from maybe Canadian breweries, this is the price for most things. I can't really complain though.

I almost bought that Born Yesterday last week. Instead I just grabbed Ballast Point's excellent Victory At Sea.

Tell me how it is.

I've had Born Yesterday on tap a couple times already. It's a damn good fresh hop with Mosaic, Equinox, etc. Not the best this fresh hop season (Barley Browns and Fremont win that) but really good.

Basically the rule of fresh hops is this: You always buy fresh hops over other beers. Those other beers will be there later. The fresh hops won't.

Judging by this and Untappd, I take it that you like fresh hops.

It's the best beer season on earth. Fuck yo pumpkins.

But seriously, I live about two hours from the greatest hop fields on the planet, so every single brewery out here (and some big guys from other parts of the country) makes the trek to Yakima to do a fresh hop beer, and they're glorious.

overcast

I've had Born Yesterday on tap a couple times already. It's a damn good fresh hop with Mosaic, Equinox, etc. Not the best this fresh hop season (Barley Browns and Fremont win that) but really good.

Basically the rule of fresh hops is this: You always buy fresh hops over other beers. Those other beers will be there later. The fresh hops won't.
I don't think I've had "fresh hops". I'll see if I can find either of those other 2 in California.

It's the best beer season on earth. Fuck yo pumpkins.

But seriously, I live about two hours from the greatest hop fields on the planet, so every single brewery out here (and some big guys from other parts of the country) makes the trek to Yakima to do a fresh hop beer, and they're glorious.
Never had a fresh hop beer before. I shall seek them out. Hopefully the Lagunitas gets here. They are quite reliable.

Most fresh hop beers aren't even packaged. Fremont, Old Schoolhouse, Three Creeks, Crux, Deschutes, 3 Floyds, Two Beers, Silver City, Hales, Lagunitas, Founders are the ones who actually canned or bottled theirs. Everything else is keg only. Unless you're in WA or OR and maybe CA, your fresh hop options are super limited.

Bah! That sucks. Any fresh hop in KY? I had Founders Harvest. Was that fresh hop?

Founders Harvest is a fresh hop.

Guessing there probably aren't many if any hop farms down south. Starting to see fresh hops in Michigan and Minnesota. Most of the big name hops are proprietary and only grown out here in the PNW.

Do you get Deschutes? Chasin Freshies is in bombers and Hop Trip is in 6-packs.

Founders Harvest is a fresh hop.

Guessing there probably aren't many if any hop farms down south. Starting to see fresh hops in Michigan and Minnesota. Most of the big name hops are proprietary and only grown out here in the PNW.

Do you get Deschutes? Chasin Freshies is in bombers and Hop Trip is in 6-packs.
I will look into those.

And Harvest was really damn good.

As for Lagunitas, Sucks showed up in KY for the first time the other week. Bombers only. Sad about that, because I got a bunch of six packs last holiday season while in CT and loved it.

Lil sumthin extra is still my favorite from them.

That is good as well. Nighttime is a good black IPA by them.

The really nice thing about Lagunitas is that almost everything they make is very solid and reliable, with occasional brilliance. They really don't have anything bad are subpar, and almost everything they make is inexpensive as well.

fijim

Banned
That is good as well. Nighttime is a good black IPA by them.

The really nice thing about Lagunitas is that almost everything they make is very solid and reliable, with occasional brilliance. They really don't have anything bad are subpar, and almost everything they make is inexpensive as well.

Yeah sometimes I wonder why I keep buying $12-20 bombers of recently hyped beer, when Lagunitas bombers are $6 and often taste better.

Time intensive, resources (barrels, wild bacteria, temperature sensitive storage space for 12+ months, etc.). Stuff you don't think about costs money.

Plus there just aren't that many places that do it, or at least that do it well. They can almost charge what they want for it if it's good enough.

Top Bottom