• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Finally found a sixer of Anderson Valley's Blood Orange Gose. I sure wish this had come out a bit earlier when it was really hot out because this is insanely refreshing. I might slightly prefer the regular gose but the blood orange flavor is used really well. Seems like a perfect shower beer!

Seth C

Founders Harvest is a fresh hop.

Guessing there probably aren't many if any hop farms down south. Starting to see fresh hops in Michigan and Minnesota. Most of the big name hops are proprietary and only grown out here in the PNW.

Do you get Deschutes? Chasin Freshies is in bombers and Hop Trip is in 6-packs.

All the local breweries did a fresh/wet hop beer this year. We have hop growers in Kentucky, so they use those. Not enough for any bottling though. It's all fairly small batch.

Bah! That sucks. Any fresh hop in KY? I had Founders Harvest. Was that fresh hop?

Sierra Nevada Celebration should be around. It's really good. Short of great, but really good.

PG2G

Waxed Bbomb bottles at Fremont today. Got two for free!

zMyYPNa.jpg

Plus a Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout from Reuben's Brews' release yesterday.

Where's the Dark Star and variants??

Sierra Nevada Celebration should be around. It's really good. Short of great, but really good.

Saw that tonight in a 12 pack. Almost got it, but was in the mood for a quad after several days of stouts. Grabbed a bottle of Straffe Hendrik Brugs Quad on the recommendation of the clerk at the store. He was on the money with that. Really, really good.

Where's the Dark Star and variants??

That was so last month. ;-)

They're down in the garage, if you really want to see them.

r3A3Umkl.jpg

There you go.

Spice Wars KDS is gray wax, regular KDS in the middle, Coffee KDS on the right with blue wax. 2013 Bbomb and Rusty Nail hanging around, too.

Seth C

Saw that tonight in a 12 pack. Almost got it, but was in the mood for a quad after several days of stouts. Grabbed a bottle of Straffe Hendrik Brugs Quad on the recommendation of the clerk at the store. He was on the money with that. Really, really good.

Next time then! For the price it's hard to beat really. A 6 pack of a really good IPA for under $10 is always nice.

fijim

Banned
FoBAB 2014 recap:

The beer lineup this year was just crazy: Pictures of program

Long line to get in, but it moved fairly quickly and I got in about 10 minutes after the session started. The Goose Island booth had the longest line, but thankfully they brought tons of beer so stuff lasted most of the night. Most beer had almost no line, with the exception of Goose Island and Barrel Aged Abraxas.

Highlights from the night:

- Goose Island Bourbon County Proprietors 2014
- Goose Island Bourbon County Vanilla Rye 2014
- Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee 2014
- Off Color Wild Turkey Barrel Aged Dino'smores
- Side Project La Fosse
- Side Project Raspe
- Goose Island Vanglorious
- Goose Island Nuthulhu
- Revolution E Norma Gene
- Perennial La Boheme
- New Belgium Oscar Worthy Coffee
- Transient Artisan Ales Wild Turkey Sour Brown Ale
- Goose Island Bourbon County Barleywine randalled through coffee beans.
- Haymarket Clare's Thirsty Ale
- Bells' Wild One
- 4 Hands Volume 2
- Lake Effect Brewing Cerise De Michigan

and so much more... lots of awesome stuff I missed too like Barrel Aged Abraxas, Chocolate Rain, Black Note, Bourbon Barrel Dark Star and Bourbon Abominable by Fremont, Great Divide Barrel Aged Yeti, FW Abacus 2013, Lost Abbey Veritas 013, and way too much else...

Milchjon

Just had a Sichuan pepper/ginger/habanero/orange peel/lemongrass/coriander 7.7% wit.

Shit was darn delicious, but a litre bottle for concert pregaming is killer.

PG2G

Damn, guess I need to consider going to FoBAB

That was so last month. ;-)

They're down in the garage, if you really want to see them.

r3A3Umkl.jpg

There you go.

Spice Wars KDS is gray wax, regular KDS in the middle, Coffee KDS on the right with blue wax. 2013 Bbomb and Rusty Nail hanging around, too.

Haha nice.

My parents are currently at MSP airport in Minnesota waiting to fly back home to Seattle. He just texted me a picture of Surly Darkness on tap at the airport. Damn.

So, I brewed a beer about a month ago with those local hops I found. It's mostly terrible. Grassy and muddy. Clearly not flavoring hops of really any sort. Oh well. I only blew like $9 worth of grain on it.

In better news, I made a Belgian Dark Strong last week that's been blowing foam out the top for the last four days. That Wyeast Trappist 3787 (allegedly from Westmalle) is a monster. I was waiting for it to die down to add a couple of pounds of candi syrup, but it doesn't show any signs of slowing.

So, I finally pulled the blowoff hose to clean it today and take a gravity. It's dropped from 1.078 to 1.017, so I went ahead and added the syrup. I'm gonna go ahead and just let it come up to whatever temperature it likes until it quits. Hopefully, it'll be in a state to keg it up by the end of next week. Then I'll let it sit and mellow until Christmastime.

The gravity sample was already really nice, though. Spicy and malty with just a little chocolate note. I think it'll be real tasty once it comes together.

Seth C

So, I brewed a beer about a month ago with those local hops I found. It's mostly terrible. Grassy and muddy. Clearly not flavoring hops of really any sort. Oh well. I only blew like $9 worth of grain on it.

In better news, I made a Belgian Dark Strong last week that's been blowing foam out the top for the last four days. That Wyeast Trappist 3787 (allegedly from Westmalle) is a monster. I was waiting for it to die down to add a couple of pounds of candi syrup, but it doesn't show any signs of slowing.

So, I finally pulled the blowoff hose to clean it today and take a gravity. It's dropped from 1.078 to 1.017, so I went ahead and added the syrup. I'm gonna go ahead and just let it come up to whatever temperature it likes until it quits. Hopefully, it'll be in a state to keg it up by the end of next week. Then I'll let it sit and mellow until Christmastime.

The gravity sample was already really nice, though. Spicy and malty with just a little chocolate note. I think it'll be real tasty once it comes together.

Sad to hear yous didn't turn out well either. I think those hops just aren't very well suited to brewing anymore. As it ages it does get more tolerable though, and also I've found cutting it with just a bit of my cider helps balance/cover the flavor a bit.

Sad to hear yous didn't turn out well either. I think those hops just aren't very well suited to brewing anymore. As it ages it does get more tolerable though, and also I've found cutting it with just a bit of my cider helps balance/cover the flavor a bit.
They may have just gone too wild. Seems like they're moderately potent as bittering hops. But without being able to actually test them easily, it's not really worth using them, I think.

I put some gelatin in the keg this afternoon to help it drop clear a bit better. Maybe that'll brighten it a bit. I'm not sure though. If it gets down to the point where I need the keg, I won't feel too bad about dumping it.

Wait. What? I just randomly got I Believe in IPA level 16 and Photogenic Brew level 23 tonight. What the hell?

Yeah, I noticed my dad got a level 50 Land of the Free badge today. WEIRD.

There was unpdate today, they upped a lot of badge levels that will be retroactive. Get ready to LEVEL DA FUCK UP.

Plus a mead badge, a wit badge, barleywine badge, and a Czech badge.

Drpunch

Neo Member
Yeah, I noticed my dad got a level 50 Land of the Free badge today. WEIRD.

There was unpdate today, they upped a lot of badge levels that will be retroactive. Get ready to LEVEL DA FUCK UP.

Plus a mead badge, a wit badge, barleywine badge, and a Czech badge.

Shit, I'm so hyped now, gotta max everything out again. It's almost like untappd has superseded my beer addiction...

I don't get untappd.
Drink beer. Tell others what you are drinking. Then use info from others to get ideas on what you might want to try next.

Then add a leveling up system to make you want to drink more or try different things.

It is really simple and fun in my opinion. Nothing too serious. Just fun.

It's Facebook but for beer. What's not to get?
But without the memes, politics, or invites to play games and quizzes.

overcast

It's Facebook but for beer. What's not to get?

Drink beer. Tell others what you are drinking. Then use info from others to get ideas on what you might want to try next.

Then add a leveling up system to make you want to drink more or try different things.

It is really simple and fun in my opinion. Nothing too serious. Just fun.

But without the memes, politics, or invites to play games and quizzes.
Well, it has the leveling system. It might be helpful to keep track of what I lilke.

Well, it has the leveling system. It might be helpful to keep track of what I lilke.

The leveling system is what I like most. As sad as it sounds, it does alter what I buy week to week.

One thing I do not like about Untappd is seeing all this stuff that others drink that I do not have access to.

I'm about to get a lot of level badges...

I will admit that I checked in a few I hadn't checked in for in the last few weeks. I didn't check in because I knew it wouldnt add anything to the badges, but with the new levels I knew it would help. Felt good to get that Level 50 Home of the Brave.

I'm really curious to see how many will go straight to 50...

*raises hand* But only on American beers. I really do need to branch out globally. It seems the only country other than USA I get stuff from is Belgium, and even then I am stingy. But damn, do I love those Quads.

My IPA badge is definitely going to go nuts the next time I drink one. Glad I have a fridge full of barleywines also.

My stout badge will level up quite a lot I think. And I do need more barleywines. I still never hit level 10 on that. IPA and Stouts are the ones I leveled up the most.

Drpunch

Neo Member
The badges and levels and shit make it a lot of fun and interesting to see what and how much you really drink. I also enjoy seeing what other people drink, especially stuff I can't access. Always cool to see new stuff.

Seth C

My stout badge will level up quite a lot I think. And I do need more barleywines. I still never hit level 10 on that. IPA and Stouts are the ones I leveled up the most.

Looks like I'm currently sitting at level 10 on Heavy Weight, I Believe in IPA, Pucker Up, Pale as the Moon, Lager Jack, Land of the Free, and Photogenic Brew. "Only" level 9 on Belgians.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I also hit level 50 Home of the Brave as soon as I checked in a beer tonight. Will be curious what I hit on IPA and Pale Ales next time I check in one of them. Probably not as high as I think, since I have tended to branch out after I capped out the badges.

Looks like I'm currently sitting at level 10 on Heavy Weight, I Believe in IPA, Pucker Up, Pale as the Moon, Lager Jack, Land of the Free, and Photogenic Brew. "Only" level 9 on Belgians.

I am curious to see how high my Heavy Weight badge shoots up. My I Believe in IPA badge shot up a ton, which was expected. But I toned down on IPAs once I hit level 10. Same with stouts. Well, I toned down on trying random stuff just to level up a badge. I just stuck to breweries and beers that were reliable with the occasional branch out to new stuff.

But, I still am working valiantly to get to get to the Legendary badge. Right now at 321 unique beers.

As far as Photogenic Brew badges go, I hit level 10 a long time ago, but still kept doing it for fun. I don't share a photo of the beer anymore, but instead find a pic that I feel fits what I am drinking. An imperial stout? That makes me think of the Empire, which means Darth Vader pictures. Backwoods Bastard? Then why not a picture from Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil to go with it?
That is the fun I am having with it now. Finding the right pictures.

Tonight? I did a check in for Molotov Cocktail. I think of setting things on fire when I hear molotov cocktail. So I used this:
PbOjVDt.png

elfinke

Only just discovered this thread, hidden away in Community! I've caught up on the last few pages and see there area a few homebrewers in here, is that true? What are your setups? Favourite recipes?

I'm just about to bottle my third brew for the season (here in Australia) - a wheat-based Mango beer (based on the very excellent Matso's Broome Brewery beer), having already brewed (can and a kilo recipes) a basic mid-strength pale ale and a dark ale.

As soon as the mango beer is bottled I've got a dark English Bitter + Molasses recipe to give a go to. Should be right for a few weeks then, with a bit of everything to choose from!

Aw man. I try to check in something distinctive for the top level badges. Now the next American beer I drink is going to cap me out. I was not anticipating this. I'll have to dig up something interesting.

Only just discovered this thread, hidden away in Community! I've caught up on the last few pages and see there area a few homebrewers in here, is that true? What are your setups? Favourite recipes?

I'm just about to bottle my third brew for the season (here in Australia) - a wheat-based Mango beer (based on the very excellent Matso's Broome Brewery beer), having already brewed (can and a kilo recipes) a basic mid-strength pale ale and a dark ale.

As soon as the mango beer is bottled I've got a dark English Bitter + Molasses recipe to give a go to. Should be right for a few weeks then, with a bit of everything to choose from!
Always happy to see another brewer. I brew in a smallish apartment and I'm slowly accumulating way too much gear. Right now I'm on a 5-gallon RIMS setup. Boil on the stovetop with some help from a 1500W heatstick. I use a soft-sided collapsible cooler for managing my fermentation temperatures and package in a two-keg mini-fridge setup.

Like a lot of homebrewers, I'm always wanting to try new things, but I do have a couple of recipes that I fall back on. I do a really simple pale with 92% 2-row and 8% crystal 40 at about 1.045 (or if I'm feeling extra lazy, just use plain pilsner liquid extract). Hop it to about 40 IBU with some generous late additions using whatever I've got around (Apollo and Simcoe are a nice combo).

Late this summer, I did land on a really excellent two-week Berliner Weisse that's gone over phenomenally well with my friends. I've brewed it three times in as many months. It just goes that fast. Super simple. Half pilsner malt, half white wheat malt at ~1.035. Sour it hot in a carboy for a few days, then boil with a touch of hops and pitch in a bunch of White Labs Brett Brux Trois. I also put in a gallon of watermelon juice the first two times, but it's good all on its own.

St. Bernardus Christmas Ale is out in the wild. I meant to try it last year, and I won't let it pass me by this year.

Also saw Victory Harvest Ale, which is another fresh hop. I am curious because I love Dirt Wolf by them, but not as big a fan of their other IPAs.

As for tonight, I got a bottle of London Balling. Always down for a good barleywine.

Top Bottom