• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

HiResDes

WmtzCk0.jpg

Guys this beer is incredible. It's slightly boozy, but it has this incredibly delicious and complex flavors. I get a bit of molasses, honey, dark fruit, and maybe like cardamon. Anyway it all comes together in this amazing brew with a winey, Trippel like body. Please if you have the means check this out. I've had two bottles and I'm feeling quite buzzed already.

Watcher

Drinking a stone Master of disguise. Its ok im pretty underwhelmed but hey ill take it. Would rather have a regular imperial stout

It is $11 for one bottle. I have been tempted a lot by it. Still waiting for Christmas Bomb though.

Yeah a store near where I'm staying right now has that, Christmas Bomb, Pirate Bomb, and normal Bomb so I might pick one of them up for Thanksgiving. Really enjoyed the original Bomb but for the prices I can get a small bottle of gueuze or something and I'd rather shell out for that.

Had 3F Oude Geuze today for the first time in a couple years and damn I'd forgotten how tasty it is. It was bottled this year but was so funky and complex, wish I had some Tilquin to try it side by side with so I could finally decide my favorite.

Drinking a stone Master of disguise. Its ok im pretty underwhelmed but hey ill take it. Would rather have a regular imperial stout

I was just caught off guard by the coffee taste. Definitely a mind fuck beer because of the flavor in a golden beer.

Yeah a store near where I'm staying right now has that, Christmas Bomb, Pirate Bomb, and normal Bomb so I might pick one of them up for Thanksgiving. Really enjoyed the original Bomb but for the prices I can get a small bottle of gueuze or something and I'd rather shell out for that.

Had 3F Oude Geuze today for the first time in a couple years and damn I'd forgotten how tasty it is. It was bottled this year but was so funky and complex, wish I had some Tilquin to try it side by side with so I could finally decide my favorite.
Pirate Bomb was nuts. Wish I could find more.

HiResDes

Also gotta recommend this. It's aged in French cognac barrels and smells like a Brandy Alexander that's been bittered in some manner. I'm pretty much drunk now, but this is giving me more traditional a Stout notes, but with a spicy slightly boozy finish. As far as I can tell French cognac barrels are like more delicious Bourbon barrels. I get a hint of coffee, French cognac, cinnamon, and malt on the backend

Love you!

Also watched Birdman in between. Was slightly drunk during the movie.

Hey, just enjoying going through my growler of Blackout Stout. It isn't as heavy as some other stouts, so it is easier to drink a lot of it. And that is dangerous. I don't think this 64oz is going to last me long. I predict Monday night before it is done by my hand.

Now to debate about what to get a growler of for Thanksgiving. They have Breakfast Stout, Lucky Bastard, and Double Bastard for growler fills. Probably something else to come in at the last second. I am thinking a growler of Breakfast Stout will be the winner for my father in law and I to polish off on Thanksgiving day and Black Friday.

I'm going to be in Omaha for thanksgiving visiting my wife's family's. Fortunately I've befriended the guys at Beertopia so they've been putting stuff away for me when I stop by on Wednesday.

Also bringing some Cowiche fresh hop cans for the Hawks game on Thursday night. #onlyWAbeer

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
New England Brewing has Fuzzy Baby Ducks on growler pour today. Ugh, and I am stuck waiting for the cable guy to get here (switching from Frontier back to Comcast for better internet speeds). Hopefully the installation is fast so I can make it over before they kick.

Looked at the price of getting a growler of Breakfast Stout for Thanksgiving, and it is slightly cheaper to just get it in bottles, so I went that way. Got some Breakfast Stout, St. Bernardus Abt 12, Victory Harvest Ale, London Balling, and Rochefort 8. I still have a few bottles of Founders Imperial Stout and Backwoods Bastard that I was saving as well.

I think that might be enough for two people across two or so days.

EDIT: I checked the bottle date for the Abt 12. Best by March 2018. That means it was bottled March 2013, so it has been aging for some time. Woe is me. Someone aged my favorite quad for me.

PG2G

I'm not sure if I'm ready for BCBS this year. Seems like its gonna be worst than last, lol. A bunch of local bars will have it and variants on Wednesday. Now I'm debating whether I deal with traffic on the worst day of the year or stand in line for 6 hours on Friday.

I really just want to try the Vanilla, I think BCBS is awesome but I can live without it.

Man, the places I've asked around at aren't making me quite as confident that I'll get any BCBS this year. I'm getting a lot of answers of "hopefully" rather than last year when they had signs up. Managed to get eleven bottles altogether from the four stores in town last year. Now, I'm not so sure.

Man, the places I've asked around at aren't making me quite as confident that I'll get any BCBS this year. I'm getting a lot of answers of "hopefully" rather than last year when they had signs up. Managed to get eleven bottles altogether from the four stores in town last year. Now, I'm not so sure.

Main place I hit is saying they should be getting it, but can only do individual bottles instead of 4 packs. Grr. I am not buddy buddy enough with them yet. Last year I knew the guys at all three places I went to and they would let me buy 4 packs instead of individuals. Same with KBS.

Hope they get it Wednesday though since I have the day off.

BCBS Untappd badge this year. Any variant, any year. Just check one in before Christmas.

I was at a brewery tap house today talking to the brewer/owner. He's got a keg of regular BCBS 2014. The distributor "suggested" he charge $8 for a 4 oz. pour. He said "fuck that, man."

BCBS Untappd badge this year. Any variant, any year. Just check one in before Christmas.

I was at a brewery tap house today talking to the brewer/owner. He's got a keg of regular BCBS 2014. The distributor "suggested" he charge $8 for a 4 oz. pour. He said "fuck that, man."

Crossing my fingers that someone around here gets it on tap. They had KBS for a bit and W00tstout 2.0. So I am thinking they might.

I've still got one bottle of 2013 BCBS and 2013 Coffee BCBS, so I won't be too bummed if I don't get any this year.

Besides, way too many phenomenal local BA beers recently. KDS and the variants, BBomb and Coffee Cinnamon Bbomb, etc.

Seth C

Wouldn't surprise me. The Beer Geek Brunch Weasel apparently runs over $300 for the keg. Insane, but it is delicious. Thankfully the 6 ounce pour for $5.50 is enough to satisfy my craving.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Crossing my fingers that someone around here gets it on tap. They had KBS for a bit and W00tstout 2.0. So I am thinking they might.

Lost River should have it Friday. Ive come up the last couple times for it. Last year they were even selling people who ordered it an extra take home bottle for a few $ more.

Winos usually gets a keg too, but waits for the Lost River hype to die down a bit before they tap it.

It's definitely best when it is as fresh as possible, and I would say it is one of (if not the) best citra single hopped beer on the market. Plus, the label.
I agree, it's good. Just not worth losing your shit over. Could be I'm just not the biggest fan of Citra.

Left work early. Went to Mellow Mushroom to try Zombie Dust. Then back home for cleaning before the in laws arrive tomorrow. I only had a swallow of Blackout Stout left in the growler. Then had West Sixth Christmas, followed by Against the Grain's London Balling. Ending the night with a St Bernardus Abt 12 bottled in March 2013.
Fantastic and relaxing way to close out the night.

Seth C

Left work early. Went to Mellow Mushroom to try Zombie Dust. Then back home for cleaning before the in laws arrive tomorrow. I only had a swallow of Blackout Stout left in the growler. Then had West Sixth Christmas, followed by Against the Grain's London Balling. Ending the night with a St Bernardus Abt 12 bottled in March 2013.
Fantastic and relaxing way to close out the night.

Did you like the Christmas Ale? I thought it was way too heavy with the nutmeg.

Did you like the Christmas Ale? I thought it was way too heavy with the nutmeg.
It tasted like Christmas. I couldn't place the spice itself, but it was christmasy.
I enjoyed it, but am not compelled to get more. Apparently they almost went through a whole keg in one day at the Liquor Barn here. I only bought one can to test it.

I will probably get a pack of the St. Bernardus Christmas Ale this week or next. And I want to try more Christmas stuff this year. Any particular ones you recommend that are easily available available in KY?

And hoping to secure a bottle of Christmas Bomb tomorrow.

For the last year or so, I have thought that St. Bernardus Abt 12 was superior to Rochefort 10. But that was when drinking them ice cold. But, these last few months, I have tried the Rochefort 10 at just slightly chilled, and it has been so much better.

Tonight, I finally tried the Abt 12 at around the same temp, and I am torn. Both benefit greatly by not being so cold, but I think the Rochefort benefits the most from it. It becomes more complex and smooth. The Abt 12 stays smooth but is fruitier. I really don't know if I could pick one over the other for the superior Belgian quad.

I think one night soon I shall have to do both in the same night to test.

Seth C

It tasted like Christmas. I couldn't place the spice itself, but it was christmasy.
I enjoyed it, but am not compelled to get more. Apparently they almost went through a whole keg in one day at the Liquor Barn here. I only bought one can to test it.

I will probably get a pack of the St. Bernardus Christmas Ale this week or next. And I want to try more Christmas stuff this year. Any particular ones you recommend that are easily available available in KY?

And hoping to secure a bottle of Christmas Bomb tomorrow.

Definitely nutmeg and also some cinnamon. Not my sort of thing. I don't enjoy nutmeg. I'd make recommendations but as you might be imagining at this point, I don't care much for Christmas beers.

But yeah, it sells like hot cakes. I was at the brewery a week ago having a glass to try it out and it was ridiculous watching people walk out with it by the case. I do really like the Christmas ale can-shaped glass though.

Definitely nutmeg and also some cinnamon. Not my sort of thing. I don't enjoy nutmeg. I'd make recommendations but as you might be imagining at this point, I don't care much for Christmas beers.

But yeah, it sells like hot cakes. I was at the brewery a week ago having a glass to try it out and it was ridiculous watching people walk out with it by the case. I do really like the Christmas ale can-shaped glass though.

Really, the only other Christmas beer that I liked was Sam Adam's Gingerbread Stout. But I like gingerbread, and it tasted like it in liquid form. The only Christmas brew that is a must try for me is St. Bernardus, but mainly because their quad is godly. And well, Christmas Bomb because I really liked Prairie Bomb and Pirate Bomb when I tried them the other month. I might as well complete the set.

The Beer That Saved Christmas is pricey, but I am intrigued.

If I try a few other Christmas beers I might just realize that they aren't for me and go back to quads and stouts mainly for the winter months. Those do a fine enough job of warming me up.

HiResDes

That Prairie is the real deal I drink that one in the picture and gave the other to my trustworthy buddy to store in his basement cask to age.

Seth C

Really, the only other Christmas beer that I liked was Sam Adam's Gingerbread Stout. But I like gingerbread, and it tasted like it in liquid form. The only Christmas brew that is a must try for me is St. Bernardus, but mainly because their quad is godly. And well, Christmas Bomb because I really liked Prairie Bomb and Pirate Bomb when I tried them the other month. I might as well complete the set.

The Beer That Saved Christmas is pricey, but I am intrigued.

If I try a few other Christmas beers I might just realize that they aren't for me and go back to quads and stouts mainly for the winter months. Those do a fine enough job of warming me up.

To be fair, I DO like Gingerbread Stout, but it's so different than typical Christmas beers. I don't like "Christmas spice" the same way I don't like "pumpkin spice" so beers that go that route just aren't for me.

Country Boy is doing a limited bottle release Friday, Double Barrel Shotgun Wedding. The regular one is a brown ale aged on vanilla beans. Smooth, clean, and delicious. This one is a double brown with the vanilla beans and aged in bourbon barrels. 11.2%

Top Bottom