• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

codhand

stop drinking all them shitty american christmas beers
barf.gif

scaldisnoel.jpg

samichlaus-1.jpg

PetrusWinter9Bottle.png

feuilienchristmas_large.png

st.-bernardus-Christmas.jpg

Jqb0wbL.png

2600997866_3debee79d5_b.jpg

Seth C

stop drinking all them shitty american christmas beers
barf.gif

scaldisnoel.jpg

samichlaus-1.jpg

PetrusWinter9Bottle.png

feuilienchristmas_large.png

st.-bernardus-Christmas.jpg

Jqb0wbL.png

2600997866_3debee79d5_b.jpg

I don't drink shitty beers. I've had the Petrus, Carolus, and St. Feuillien. Don't like them at all. Basically, if something at all "tastes like christmas" I'm not going to like it. The spices that are added to make it taste seasonal are just a huge turn off to me. It doesn't matter what the quality of the underlying beer is. I also can't stand eggnog. Even. Small amount of nutmeg is a huge turnoff for me.

Like I said though, there are exceptions like the sam Adams Gingerbread Stout, but it's not a traditional Christmas beer.

I don't drink shitty beers. I've had the Petrus, Carolus, and St. Feuillien. Don't like them at all. Basically, if something at all "tastes like christmas" I'm not going to like it. The spices that are added to make it taste seasonal are just a huge turn off to me. It doesn't matter what the quality of the underlying beer is. I also can't stand eggnog. Even. Small amount of nutmeg is a huge turnoff for me.

Like I said though, there are exceptions like the sam Adams Gingerbread Stout, but it's not a traditional Christmas beer.

I'm also not a big fan of spiced things. Isn't just Christmas but any seasonal thing that is spiced.
Eggnog is great though, don't even like it alcoholic.

codhand

Basically, if something at all "tastes like christmas" I'm not going to like it.

i agree with this, which is why i like all the ones i posted, they dont have the overt "hey im spiced!" quality that american ones tend to have.

theSlacker knows what's up, egg nog, while gross to think too hard about, is in fact delicious.

#teamnog

Seth C

i agree with this, which is why i like all the ones i posted, they dont have the overt "hey im spiced!" quality that american ones tend to have.

theSlacker knows what's up, egg nog, while gross to think too hard about, is in fact delicious.

#teamnog

Well, there is also a certain heavy malt profile that I'm currently turned off by. I'm not sure what it is, but the specific type of sweetness that you'd find in a bock beer turns my stomach. A lot of what you posted has that paired with some nutmeg.

Seth Mikkeller's X-mas seasonals aren't overly spiced at all.

That's true, but I rarely buy their bottles. Just way too expensive to be worth it, in my mind. I'd have them on two though, where I could spend $6 on a half pint and that would be enough for me.

codhand

yeah the belgian ones tend to be caramel sweet, full and malt heavy, which probably gives off an allspice quality, i agree theyd pair well with nutmeg foods, but they dont strike me as a spice rack blast of say, Stone 11-11-11.

finally tried BA narwahl last night, great BA stout, but man i need smaller bottles, was hoping it was a 4pk and not a huge 750. at 14% it packs a wallop.

Seth C

yeah the belgian ones tend to be caramel sweet, full and malt heavy, which probably gives off an allspice quality

Which is odd because I do love quads, but I can't drink doppelboch and tens to stay away from scotch ales and wee heavys and that entire range and anything in that range.

codhand

Which is odd because I do love quads, but I can't drink doppelboch and tens to stay away from scotch ales and wee heavys and that entire range and anything in that range.

yup, makes sense. they are quad similar but sweeter.

i love me a good german doppleboch too

holy shit though, that Sam Tripel Bock i had recently would probably rank as your least favorite beer ever, based on your qualifiers

Do they not? I feel like I've seen them but I don't recall seeing them recently. Odd considering they do most of their brewing in Cincinnati now.

Guys at all the stores I frequent said that the distributer for this area doesn't order the Sam bombers for some reason. Maybe they got burned one year. So that means no Fat Jack or Merry Maker for me. They do get everything else Sam Adams though.

Part of that one is that I got terribly sick drinking good German doppelboch. I can do one at most, but my stomach can't handle anymore.

Can your stomach just not handle it, or is it a psychological thing where you equate those beers with being sick? I got crazy sick one night after having Weyerbacher Unfiltered Double Simcoe. After that, any time I saw a bottle in a store I started feeling queasy because I associated the beer with feeling horrible.

fijim

Banned
Shiner Holiday Cheer is actually a good Christmast beer, great flavor from the spices but still very drinkable.

Great Lakes Christmas is a nice Christmas beer but I can't drink too much, I could stand drinking one or so over the season but I wont pick up a 6 pack because I get sick of it fast.

The Petrus Winter Ale is very nice, but make sure you have a few people to help with the bottle.

Stille Nacht is just an amazing beer year round :)

Seth C

yup, makes sense. they are quad similar but sweeter.

i love me a good german doppleboch too

holy shit though, that Sam Tripel Bock i had recently would probably rank as your least favorite beer ever, based on your qualifiers

I've had that, and you're right, I dislike it.

Guys at all the stores I frequent said that the distributer for this area doesn't order the Sam bombers for some reason. Maybe they got burned one year. So that means no Fat Jack or Merry Maker for me. They do get everything else Sam Adams though.

Doesn't surprise me, actually. I recall Fat Jack sitting around on shelves for months and months until retailers had to discount it. I think Sam Adams sort of did this to themselves, though. They market as an accessible, affordable, every-man beer. So then people don't want to pay bomber prices for their specialty stuff. Then they go crazy with off the charts expensive stuff like Utopias and their barrel room collection and people are just left feeling a bit meh.

Can your stomach just not handle it, or is it a psychological thing where you equate those beers with being sick? I got crazy sick one night after having Weyerbacher Unfiltered Double Simcoe. After that, any time I saw a bottle in a store I started feeling queasy because I associated the beer with feeling horrible.

It's a bit of both. I never loved the overly sweet bock and scotch ale style beers, but after getting sick at bock fest I just try to avoid doppelbocks altogether. I didn't throw up or anything, and I've consumed much more alcohol on other nights, but all that sugar just left me feeling ill for almost two days.

Chris R

I can imagine. Isn't it getting brewed in larger quantity next year though? Hope you didn't spend TOO much.

150 cases last year, probably closer to 2k this year (no concrete numbers just yet)

$30 a bottle so kinda spendy, but I'm hoping it's good. Not going to crack into one for another month or so :( Never had anything close to 17.x% abv before so I'm sure it will be a kick in the pants when I do pop one open.

No BCBS in Bowling Green area. Maybe this weekend they said.

Wino's Depot said no Double Barreled Shotgun Wedding is coming, even though I saw a keg of it sitting next to her that I am assuming was going to be for their store.

Pick ups for the day: 2 Christmas Bombs, The Beer That Saved Christmas, Alpha Klaus, and Even Less Jesus. Almost got Founders Big Lushious, but decided not to. I could have stocked up on Christmas Bomb since every store I stopped at had tons. If it were Pirate Bomb I would have.

Seth C

No BCBS in Bowling Green area. Maybe this weekend they said.

Wino's Depot said no Double Barreled Shotgun Wedding is coming, even though I saw a keg of it sitting next to her that I am assuming was going to be for their store.

Pick ups for the day: 2 Christmas Bombs, The Beer That Saved Christmas, Alpha Klaus, and Even Less Jesus. Almost got Founders Big Lushious, but decided not to. I could have stocked up on Christmas Bomb since every store I stopped at had tons. If it were Pirate Bomb I would have.

I really liked Even Less Jesus.

First thing after we landed in Omaha was go to Beertopia, cause I'm in charge of Thankagiving beer.

62GNpv9.jpg

4-pack Founders Breakfast Stout
4-pack Founders Harvest (FRESH HOP!!)
6-pack ZipLine NZ IPA
6-pack Schells Equinox Fresh Hop (!!!) Pilsner
Funkwerks Tropic King
Infusion Barrel-Aged Russian Imperial Stout (local and limited)

Should be enough for my brother in law and I to last through Monday. Wife might have a stout.

I probably went VERY overboard with beer for the weekend. It is only my father in law and I having it, but if we don't finish it just means more for me later.

And he is bringing some Irish Whiskey and some good scotch too.

I blame seth for todays pickups

What Dogfish Head beer is that? Don't recognize the label.

Don't have quite as good a Thanksgiving lineup as you guys, stocked up on Anderson Valley Gose (blood orange and regular), Lagunitas IPA for my dad, and I'll probably just drink the Grassroots Arctic Saison by myself tonight cuz I'll be too full tomorrow and I don't want to share :p

Tried Christmas Bomb a couple days ago, enjoyed it but honestly I prefer the normal Bomb. Wish I hadn't hesitated and bought Pirate Bomb before it sold out ugh. At least I got a glass of Blaugies/HF La Vermontoise which was just fantastic!

First thing after we landed in Omaha was go to Beertopia, cause I'm in charge of Thankagiving beer.

62GNpv9.jpg

4-pack Founders Breakfast Stout
4-pack Founders Harvest (FRESH HOP!!)
6-pack ZipLine NZ IPA
6-pack Schells Equinox Fresh Hop (!!!) Pilsner
Funkwerks Tropic King
Infusion Barrel-Aged Russian Imperial Stout (local and limited)

Should be enough for my brother in law and I to last through Monday. Wife might have a stout.
I was just there. Picked up some Rubeaus, Le Freak, Lucious, Carpe Brewem Nibbed in the Barrel Oatmeal Stoutand Brown Shugga' (Not Pictured). 180\- from last weekend. It was a good haul.

P4UAm4Fl.jpg

Also, DM, if you need more Le Terroir, pretty sure Whole Foods still has it.

Didn't know there was a beer thread until now!

I'm a relatively new beer enthusiast. I still have a lot to learn! I live just outside of Portland, Oregon so I'm pretty much surrounded by craft beer culture.

My favorite style of beer are Barrel Aged Stouts. I just drank a Ale Smith Barrel Aged Speedway Stout last night it was absolutely incredible!

Didn't know there was a beer thread until now!

I'm a relatively new beer enthusiast. I still have a lot to learn! I live just outside of Portland, Oregon so I'm pretty much surrounded by craft beer culture.

My favorite style of beer are Barrel Aged Stouts. I just drank a Ale Smith Barrel Aged Speedway Stout last night it was absolutely incredible!

PNW for life.

:brofist

andylsun

I just brewed a Christmas beer.

Brewed a Brown Ale (Brewing Classic Styles recipe). Due to Windsor yeast stalling at 1.020 I needed to do something - it was sickly sweet.

Soaked 3lb of cranberries in port for a week and then pitched it into the fermenter. Fruit Crime.

5 days later I have Port and Cranberry Brown Ale.

The cranberries helped counteract the sweetness and there's a nice hint of port at the end. It's actually really good!

Going to take it to the office Christmas Party where my kegs usually get kicked in less than an hour

Edit: There's a beer called Even More Jesus and one called Even Less Jesus? I have to have that....

Finally got the Grassroots Arctic Saison open, the twisty part of the cage snapped off so I had to track down some wire cutters to get it off lol. That hassle aside it's fucking delicious. Lots of brett, nice and tart, super refreshing, like a more tart seizoen bretta. Whoever manages to put something like this in cans first is going to make a killing.

Seth C

I wasn't offended or anything. I was just acting ridiculous :p . I know people in the PNW can be quite pretentious when it comes to beer...especially with a brewery on every block haha.

To me it's just more funny that you guys don't seem to realize half the country has caught up. :p

PG2G

150 cases last year, probably closer to 2k this year (no concrete numbers just yet)

$30 a bottle so kinda spendy, but I'm hoping it's good. Not going to crack into one for another month or so :( Never had anything close to 17.x% abv before so I'm sure it will be a kick in the pants when I do pop one open.

You in Alaska I assume? Is it really just sitting on shelves? Saw someone on BA post a haul that included two A Deal with the Devil also, lol.

What Dogfish Head beer is that? Don't recognize the label.
Beer Thousand. Their latest novelty beer.

I had a little get together with a couple of beer-positive friends this evening. Nothing too fancy. Destihl Flanders, Flossmoor Pullman, Freestate Barleywine, and a couple of homebrews from each of us. Throw in some boardgames and it was a pretty decent evening.

Seth C

Beer Thousand. Their latest novelty beer.

I had a little get together with a couple of beer-positive friends this evening. Nothing too fancy. Destihl Flanders, Flossmoor Pullman, Freestate Barleywine, and a couple of homebrews from each of us. Throw in some boardgames and it was a pretty decent evening.

Sounds like a great evening. I'd come to that party for sure.

codhand

The Beer Thousand was good. 10 hops, 10 malts, 10%.

Happy Thanksgiving bros, remember to crack open some good shit today. My Autocrat keg just kicked :( sadness.

Chris R

You in Alaska I assume? Is it really just sitting on shelves? Saw someone on BA post a haul that included two A Deal with the Devil also, lol.

Yes, in Anchorage.

It is just sitting on shelves. First place I went to (asking about BCBS) had ~100 bottles but it's the biggest store of the booze chain here. The second place I went to had 3 unopened cases and a few loose bottles sitting out.

I'm bummed that the ABC tasting room hasn't opened yet :( http://www.adn.com/article/20140907/anchorage-brewing-co-building-forever-home I bet they would have it on tap.

Seth C

Last night I went to a new brewery in town that a fiend is opening (with a group of others, of course) on Saturday. Its called Ethereal and is one of the anchors in the distillery district in Lexington. They've got a really great space and all four beers they had on tap were good. They are going to be focusing a lot on saison and sours to differentiate themselves from the other breweries in town. Should be good, and since they are less than a mile from my place I guess I'll just need to go on bike rides more often!

So, looks like I've got plenty of regular BCBS for this year. Not so much luck with the varietals. The one place I waited in line had Coffee and Vanilla Rye. Both ran out with the guy right ahead of me. Got one Barleywine, at least.

Top Bottom