• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Bacon

So I went to the Naugatuck Valley Brew Fest last week and the goose island guys were there serving the bourbon barrel stout (first time I've had it), and no one was drinking it. The guys that were serving it were dumbfounded. My dad and I probably made 20 trips to that tap because it was so damn good and there was never a line. At the beginning they were only serving 1 ounce pours because they thought they would need to ration it, but by the end of it they were giving out full 4 ounce pours. I was in absolute heaven.

Now I'm on the lookout for the boubon county in bottles because it was so good. Apparently its hard to find? I dunno, I'll update if I have any luck.

So I went to the Naugatuck Valley Brew Fest last week and the goose island guys were there serving the bourbon barrel stout (first time I've had it), and no one was drinking it. The guys that were serving it were dumbfounded. My dad and I probably made 20 trips to that tap because it was so damn good and there was never a line. At the beginning they were only serving 1 ounce pours because they thought they would need to ration it, but by the end of it they were giving out full 4 ounce pours. I was in absolute heaven.

Now I'm on the lookout for the boubon county in bottles because it was so good. Apparently its hard to find? I dunno, I'll update if I have any luck.
Depends on where you are. Around here, it's a one day per year thing. In the wetter areas of distribution, you may find it on the shelf for a few weeks. The lesser-bottled variants do not stick around like that, though.

Today is the traditional release day for it. There have been some reports of stores selling it early and of course some places have to wait a bit longer for delivery. Keep an eye out if you want some. Now's the time.

Bacon

Depends on where you are. Around here, it's a one day per year thing. In the wetter areas of distribution, you may find it on the shelf for a few weeks. The lesser-bottled variants do not stick around like that, though.

Today is the traditional release day for it. There have been some reports of stores selling it early and of course some places have to wait a bit longer for delivery. Keep an eye out if you want some. Now's the time.

I'm in ct. There's a grocery store around me that sells hundreds of different kinds of beers. Gonna try my luck at that one tonight after I get home from work.

fijim

Banned
Got a 4-pack of regular Bourbon County, plus 2 bottles of Barleywine and 1 bottle of Proprietors. Missed out on Vanilla Rye, but didn't feel like driving around all day to hunt one down. Got to try the Coffee & Vanilla on draft so I don't feel like I missed out too much.

Had BCBS on tap today, but truck hunters got all the bottles in Omaha before they could open the boxes.

Buddy back home in Seattle got me a couple bottles today. Rock.

6 of the stout and 2 of the barleywine. Considering that many places in Denver got shafted out of having any of the barleywine at all I feel pretty good about it.

Just pick up a couple bottles of the Country Boy double barreled shotgun wedding. It's not quite as good but it's way more rare so you can feel special.

I got a bottle of Infusion Brewing's BA stout. Relatively new Omaha brewery. Only 600 bottles. Planning on taking it back home to share with friends.

Seth C

I got a bottle of Infusion Brewing's BA stout. Relatively new Omaha brewery. Only 600 bottles. Planning on taking it back home to share with friends.

And isn't that more enjoyable, really? BCBS shows up on tap several time every year here so I don't concern myself too much.

Bacon

In case anyone is deathly concerned about my search for bcbs - I found it and bought three 4 packs of it! They didn't have any of the variants left when I got there but that's ok.

And isn't that more enjoyable, really? BCBS shows up on tap several time every year here so I don't concern myself too much.

It's way more enjoyable. Back home we've got KDS and variants, BBomb and variants, etc. and they're available for weeks.

I don't stress out over BCBS at all.

Seth C

It's way more enjoyable. Back home we've got KDS and variants, BBomb and variants, etc. and they're available for weeks.

I don't stress out over BCBS at all.

Exactly. A couple bars in town order multiple kegs of KBS and put one in immediately and hold on till later. Plus being in the heart of bourbon country, the local breweries do bourbon barrel stouts as well as anyone in the world. I'll drink those year round. No worries.

I remember in CT being able to get four packs of BCBS in Jan and Feb.

To be fair, that was here just a few years ago. The 2010 BCBS I have was left at a friend's house and given to me. 3 or 4 years ago no one gave a shit. Now people follow the delivery truck.

mcfrank

2014 BCBS is way better to me than 2013 was. I really only loved the Barleywine of the 2013 batch, but so far this years offerings are off to a good start. Now to track down a bottle of vanilla.

Biggest beer/liquor store in the area put their BCS behind a pay wall/Beer Club Membership. Conveniently announced 2 weeks before the BCS release. Entire allocation went to the members. Yeah, I'm not paying $250 a year for the "right" to buy your limited release beers. Place won't see another dime from me. No wine club or bourbon club, just beer. At least they put it on tap for the poor saps not privileged enough to join though... They can keep it. Got mine somewhere else.

Cr0wn0

Whole foods got a giant allocation this year. Had Coffee/Vanilla/Barleywine/Regular(Raffled off 12 Vanilla Rye). People lined up the night before but I was able to go in later in the day and get a 4 pack of barleywine and regular stout. My wife was shopping near a total wine and I asked her to stop in and see what they had. The distributor had mistakenly given them an allocation of 2013 BCBS. So Ive got a 2013 and 2014 this year.

fijim

Banned
This is why we can't have nice things.

It is very difficult to score some BCBS, you have to wait in line for hours and even then you are not guaranteed to get one of each variant. Usually you are forced to pick 2-3 options from the 5 available in Chicago. However, every year it seems the hoarders make out like bandits.

Here are some people's haul pics from a Chicago beer group...

FmSmskf.jpg

Badgerst3

Had it for the first time in so cal last pm. I am a mild beer enthusiast and it was great.

My quest to locate any 4 packs today has been in vain.

Did find it on tap in 2 spots-

Breakfast stout is a solid sub-10% coffee stout. Really nice.

I've been loving Schells Fresh Hop (!!) Equinox Pilsner while in Nebraska. So crisp, so clean, so much fresh hop.

Breakfast stout is a solid sub-10% coffee stout. Really nice.

I've been loving Schells Fresh Hop (!!) Equinox Pilsner while in Nebraska. So crisp, so clean, so much fresh hop.
Yeah. Breakfast Stout is a bit strong ABV compared to other beers, but lower for a stout. The nice in between, and oh so tasty.

Actually, having one now before leaving for dinner. Had to grab the last bottle here before my father in law did.

codhand

Seen people charging 35 for bcbs, lol.

Got one beer text from store owner

"Getting a new goose island burbon porter- Black Friday release.. Limited quantity. Let me know if u intrested"

Very limited, much demand rare goose porter!!!

Smh

ShinAmano

This is why we can't have nice things.

It is very difficult to score some BCBS, you have to wait in line for hours and even then you are not guaranteed to get one of each variant. Usually you are forced to pick 2-3 options from the 5 available in Chicago. However, every year it seems the hoarders make out like bandits.

Here are some people's haul pics from a Chicago beer group...

Cunts the whole lot of them. Not for getting the beer, but for posting bragging pics of it.

One guy said he was out waiting in line and driving around for over 17 hours straight, put over 150 miles on his car.

I'm sorry, but what the fuck is wrong with that guy.

No wait, I'm not sorry. What the fuck is wrong with that guy.

My wife and I would have a long uncomfortable talk about life if I ever did anything like that for beer. Hell, I'd have that same talk with myself.

I'm sorry, but what the fuck is wrong with that guy.

No wait, I'm not sorry. What the fuck is wrong with that guy.

My wife and I would have a long uncomfortable talk about life if I ever did anything like that for beer. Hell, I'd have that same talk with myself.
The real question is how much is for himself, and how much of it is to trade to people who actually want it but couldn't get it because he bought it all?

The real question is how much is for himself, and how much of it is to trade to people who actually want it but couldn't get it because he bought it all?

I was thinking that as well. Stop buying shit and sending it away. I don't care if you're "helping spread the love" with your "trade partners," you're making it harder for people locally to get local beer.

I was thinking that as well. Stop buying shit and sending it away. I don't care if you're "helping spread the love" with your "trade partners," you're making it harder for people locally to get local beer.

That is what bothers me so much about speculators and hoarders in any hobby. They say "I am doing a service. People are willing to pay this much, so I am providing it."

No. They are not. They are deliberately removing the option for many people for their own means, making it more difficult for others. Fuck those people. I ran into that shit all the time when a new system launched when I worked at EB Games. I see it happen all the time when I go to the LEGO store to feed my other hobby.

But, greediness and capitalism override rational and fair thought for many people.

Blarg, another year without BCBS. Went around to like all the local places in northern VA halfway though blackfriday and got told people were lined up for it on opening. I guess I don't have the effort left in me for that kind of thing.

But hey, at least I only got laughed at one time this year asking about it, so there's that. Getting real tired of that kind of thing and makes me not not want to even try looking for stuff.

codhand

Blarg, another year without BCBS. Went around to like all the local places in northern VA halfway though blackfriday and got told people were lined up for it on opening. I guess I don't have the effort left in me for that kind of thing.

But hey, at least I only got laughed at one time this year asking about it, so there's that. Getting real tired of that kind of thing and makes me not not want to even try looking for stuff.

i laugh at anyone charging more than $25 for the stuff, it helps me cope.

My girlfriend is terrible at keeping secrets. She went back home to Chicagoland to visit with her familyfolk for the holiday. I'd told her I kinda wished I'd have gone with her so I'd have a crack at finding a Proprietor's. Turns out she went out in the cold and found one for me. It was supposed to be a Christmas gift, but she just couldn't wait to tell me.

She also brought back another four bottles of regular BCBS. So it looks like I'll have a slightly embarrassing amount of that. I'm not so upset about drawing four bottles from the Chicago market, but had I known that was coming, I might have forwent a little at home here.

It's not going to be trade fodder, at least. The people I tend to share with aren't the kind of people who would ever go stand in line for beer. I'll just have a little more I can spread around this year.

fijim

Banned
My girlfriend is terrible at keeping secrets. She went back home to Chicagoland to visit with her familyfolk for the holiday. I'd told her I kinda wished I'd have gone with her so I'd have a crack at finding a Proprietor's. Turns out she went out in the cold and found one for me. It was supposed to be a Christmas gift, but she just couldn't wait to tell me.

She also brought back another four bottles of regular BCBS. So it looks like I'll have a slightly embarrassing amount of that. I'm not so upset about drawing four bottles from the Chicago market, but had I known that was coming, I might have forwent a little at home here.

It's not going to be trade fodder, at least. The people I tend to share with aren't the kind of people who would ever go stand in line for beer. I'll just have a little more I can spread around this year.

Nothing wrong with that, regular will be easy to find here. She waited for it just like everyone else.

Enjoy that Proprietors, it is a delicious cinnamon and coconut bomb!

i laugh at anyone charging more than $25 for the stuff, it helps me cope.

I'd be fine with even that at this point since I've never been able to get any at all. What I'm not fine with is paying resellers any price since they are one of the reasons why anything good is harder to get normally.

Also it was kinda funny going into total wines at like 2pm on Friday and seeing posters about BCBS when all of them said they sold out from people waiting for it on opening. Seems like a waste of printed materials.

injurai

Banned
I've really grown fond of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. My first was I wasn't so sure. The flavor was too familiar with baking chocolate or something to that degree. Very one dimentionaly like my least favorite stout
Guiness

Anyways I've really warmed up to it, and now I'm tasting all those wonderful layers of malted barley. It's just so refreshing to drink.

Top Bottom