• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I was finally able to get some BCBS today from a store near work (all of the normal places I get my beer from sold out on Friday). I was talking to the clerk and I guess they were the last store being delivered to, so most of the people had already came by and left time they got their delivery. Worked out for me.

I've really grown fond of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. My first was I wasn't so sure. The flavor was too familiar with baking chocolate or something to that degree. Very one dimentionaly like my least favorite stout
Guiness

Anyways I've really warmed up to it, and now I'm tasting all those wonderful layers of malted barley. It's just so refreshing to drink.

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. Best chocolate stout I've had.

Nothing wrong with that, regular will be easy to find here. She waited for it just like everyone else.

Enjoy that Proprietors, it is a delicious cinnamon and coconut bomb!
A local bar managed to get ahold of a keg of last year's Proprietor's back in August and it was pretty amazing.

I understand this year it's a bit different. Cocoa and cinnamon in addition to the coconut. I'll be saving it for a pretty special occasion.

Trying the Modern Times Monsters Park Imperial Stout tonight (the normal, not barrel-aged). I wasn't fond of the first sip but as it's warmed up it's gotten a lot better. I'd prefer a bit more roast but it's a nice sipper, didn't realize it was 12% either!

PG2G, you see the info for their upcoming sour release? The peach and nectarine sours are super tempting ugh.

Trying the Modern Times Monsters Park Imperial Stout tonight (the normal, not barrel-aged). I wasn't fond of the first sip but as it's warmed up it's gotten a lot better. I'd prefer a bit more roast but it's a nice sipper, didn't realize it was 12% either!

PG2G, you see the info for their upcoming sour release? The peach and nectarine sours are super tempting ugh.
Being a reader of Mike Tonsmeire's blog, I'd have pretty high expectations of the sours coming out of Modern Times. Wish I could get ahold of them myself. They've got the rough recipes posted, but the blend of microbes and barrel character is something I'd never be able to properly replicate.

If any of you guys get a taste, let us know how they are.

EDIT: In other sour-related news. I'm coming up to the end of this last batch of berliner weisse. It was really tasty fresh, but some extra time on the Brett and a little cold conditioning is making the pineapply esters pop right out. I think I'm pretty much just going to need a batch of this going at all times. It's just too good.

PG2G

I drank the BA Rye revision of Monster's Park last night. Its a good beer but the lack of carb kinda kills it. They did acknowledge that it was undercarbed, so hopefully they will resolve whatever in the process was the issue.

And yeah, the peach and nectarine sours sound awesome. I'll probably just suck it up and do one of each even though I hate flander's red. It's the holidays after all lol

ShinAmano

So I have the opportunity to snag either a 2013 or 2014 Dark Lord. Anyone know anything about these? I have heard good things but really know nothing outside of them being hard to come by.

Wtf. Local store has tons of 2012 Old Guardian, one bottle of 2013 oak smoked old guardian, and Old Stock Otsuchi 2012. All I wanted was BCBS. This is better.

So I have the opportunity to snag either a 2013 or 2014 Dark Lord. Anyone know anything about these? I have heard good things but really know nothing outside of them being hard to come by.
It's huge and sticky sweet with all of the stuff you expect in a gigantic stout. Better beers exist but the exclusivity is pretty cool. It's definitely worth trying if you get a chance.

Personally, I thought 2013 was better than 2014 when relatively fresh. I haven't tried either with more than a little age on them. A little time in the bottle to mellow is probably advantageous. So if it's either/or, I'd probably do the 2013.

fijim

Banned

Yeah, it is a very sweet stout, lots of dark fruit going on. I think the fact that it isn't a really roasty chocolatey stout makes some people think it is bad, but I think it is still a great beer, just unique.

13 and 14 are both sweet and are both good years. I would avoid 2012. 2011 is the best year in recent releases.

I would go for it, it is a very limited beer and a fun one to try with friends.

ShinAmano

Cool yeah I am trading a pretty sought after local beer to acquire one (Trickery by Hardywood)...a surprising amount of people here in richmond seem to have bottles of Dark Lord...I need to figure out how to get three Floyd's stuff here without driving to Chicago ;)

Thanks for the info.

VYWfFnGl.jpg

Gone for a week and lookit that... new beer.

La Tormenta is a sour dry hopped with Citra, Mosaic and Equinox. Yum.

fijim

Banned
Cool yeah I am trading a pretty sought after local beer to acquire one (Trickery by Hardywood)...a surprising amount of people here in richmond seem to have bottles of Dark Lord...I need to figure out how to get three Floyd's stuff here without driving to Chicago ;)

Thanks for the info.

If you are afraid about a fair trade, keep in mind that Dark Lord is released every year. It's limit 3 or 4 per person, and it is not barrel aged. 25,000 + bottles released.

I don't think I would trade a limit 1, barrel aged, only brewed once beer with a small bottle count for a bottle of Dark Lord, unless I had extras of that beer. (But of course I don't live too far from Three Floyds so it is less special for me).

I don't know how limited Trickery is, but it sounds pretty good :)

So apparently Bowling Green, KY will not be getting any BCBS at all this year. The distributer decided not to give any to the market even if it is one of the biggest in the state. Bastards. Oh well, plenty of other goodies found today.

Got four bottles of Dogfishhead Olde School, a bottle of Dogfish One Thousand, Stone Enjoy by 12-16-14, and Founders Big Lushious. Nice complements to the Old Guardian bottles I found yesterday.

I hear the new Enjoy By is among the best it's been. I'm gonna have a look around but I'm afraid I've already missed it.

It only just showed up today in my town. I thought it had come and gone or wasn't coming around here, so I was happy to see it.

I thought the July this year was particularly good. Hope this one measures up to that.

Still a metric ton of the current Enjoy By at the Whole Foods by my house. So many other things available that it just doesn't interest me. Much like 99% of Stone's offerings honestly.

Seth C

Is it worth the drive to buy a bottle? :)

Haha. You don't have to buy my beer. If you come by you can drink all you want for free. The first beer will be my double IPA bumped down (100% more volume, 50% more malt) to about 6.5%. It will be nice to be able to brew two kegs and keep one in cold storage.

Halfway through this:
*googles* I need this.

Haha. You don't have to buy my beer. If you come by you can drink all you want for free. The first beer will be my double IPA bumped down (100% more volume, 50% more malt) to about 6.5%. It will be nice to be able to brew two kegs and keep one in cold storage.
Soon. We are only a few hours away. A nice night of food and drinks could be fun once things settle down here.

Enjoying the bottle of 2013 Oak Smoked Stone Old Guardian I found the other day. I think the 23 months of aging have just made the smoke flavor that much stronger. Really, really heavy on the smoke, for better or worse.

HiResDes

*googles* I need this.

Soon. We are only a few hours away. A nice night of food and drinks could be fun once things settle down here.

It's not all. It's sweet, then sour, and then a bit bitter at the end. The malt flavor is quite strong, and the fruitiness (kind of a tart apple/pear) only comes through at the tail end of the beer. It's not very strong in its X-mas flavorings almost to a fault. There's this slight spiciness that you can only detect on small sips, but overall this is a very typical belgian strong in almost every facet. Good representation of the style, but not a seasonal.

C+

It's not all. It's sweet, then sour, and then a bit bitter at the end. The malt flavor is quite strong, and the fruitiness (kind of a tart apple/pear) only comes through at the tail end of the beer. It's not very strong in its X-mas flavorings almost to a fault. There's this slight spiciness that you can only detect on small sips, but overall this is a very typical belgian strong in almost every facet. Good representation of the style, but not a seasonal.

C+
Damn. Well, saves me money then.

Still bitter about Merry Maker not being around here.

HiResDes

So far The Beer That Saved Christmas is my favorite, and I think it's underrated on beeradvocate mainly because it's so interesting style purists don't know what to make of it.

G-Pink

Having a can of Stack Brewery's newish Twist n' Stout, probably the best Oatmeal Stout I've ever had. They're based out of Sudbury, and just started on distribution to LCBOs in Northern Ontario.

iBVNghdq8AxOh.JPG

Very toasty and sharp (floral even) on the nose, with a sip bringing the obvious chocolate, coffee, and oatmeal, mingling together nicely. Even has a little tobacco to it, really nice.

So far The Beer That Saved Christmas is my favorite, and I think it's underrated on beeradvocate mainly because it's so interesting style purists don't know what to make of it.
I liked that one, but not enough to buy it again. I left happy with the bottle, but it is pretty pricey. Christmas Bomb tasted better, but was more expensive.

I still need to get some St. Bernardus Christmas Ale. That is my most desired holiday beer because their quad is the work of God.

Seth C

*googles* I need this.

Well, if you're feeling up to it you should come say hi December 21. A friend of mine (Kevin at Beer Trappe) got a few BCBS kegs. So on that date they will have BCBS, Coffee, and Barleywine all on draft. Flights will be available.

Well, if you're feeling up to it you should come say hi December 21. A friend of mine (Kevin at Beer Trappe) got a few BCBS kegs. So on that date they will have BCBS, Coffee, and Barleywine all on draft. Flights will be available.

I shall have to see what my work schedule is. :)

HiResDes

I really really want to try the coffee, but as far as regular BCBS I think I might prefer barrel aged Rasputin ever so slightly.

I really really want to try the coffee, but as far as regular BCBS I think I might prefer barrel aged Rasputin ever so slightly.

If the 2014 coffee is anything like the 2013, it will be a kick in the ass. VERY strong coffee flavor if I remember right. Like, eye opening strong.

DiscoJon

Banned
Any PNW'ers, there is ton of BCBS 2013 floating around Bellingham at various places here in town. $6.50ish a bottle depending on where you go.

Zia

Don't frequent this thread because, while I love beer and know enough to discern bad from good and good from great, I'm not really A Beer Person in that I have no interest in talking about beer.

That said, thought I'd swing by to say Founder's Breakfast Stout is in fact the real deal. Selfishly buying the BF a case for Christmas.

Noyaux is legit. One of the few Cascade beers I love.

Any PNW'ers, there is ton of BCBS 2013 floating around Bellingham at various places here in town. $6.50ish a bottle depending on where you go.

That's because Elizabeth Station somehow got 85% of all BCBS sent to WA last year. It's a pretty touchy subject in the PNW forums at BA.

DiscoJon

Banned
That's because Elizabeth Station somehow got 85% of all BCBS sent to WA last year. It's a pretty touchy subject in the PNW forums at BA.
Really? Wow. I only saw a few 2013 bottles there yesterday. No 2014 bottles. I was out of town for their Black Friday event. The real place to get beer in Bellingham are the two food co-ops. The main store down town always gets in rad stuff. I counted twenty bottles of BCBS 2013 at the newer co-op last night.

overcast

I tried the Narwhal (seasonal Sierra Nevada). Shit was delicious but incredibly dense and dark. My God, 1-2 max for a night. Good thing it comes in a 4 pack.

I really do love dark beers though. Glad I found that. Going to grab another 6 pack this weekend at some point.

soma27

Long time lurker to this thread (and the lego one). Saw that some of you are having trouble getting bcbs. I have followed some of the recommendations on here to much happiness before, so figured I would offer.

I have 2 extra 2014 barleywine and 2 extra regular bcbs I was able to pick-up if someone would like to trade. I haven't before (so you would have to give me a heads-up on packing) and I can add in some rarer ny/nj available ipas (singlecut, carton, etc) to fill a box.

Shot me a pm if interested. Would be looking for beers not available in ny, mostly to share with my brother-in-law who is huge into beer.

fijim

Banned
I tried the Narwhal (seasonal Sierra Nevada). Shit was delicious but incredibly dense and dark. My God, 1-2 max for a night. Good thing it comes in a 4 pack.

I really do love dark beers though. Glad I found that. Going to grab another 6 pack this weekend at some point.

Keep a bottle or two to age. I just had a Narwhal from 2012 and it was awesome.

Whole Foods in socal is having a 20% off bombers sale this weekend so I swung by earlier, picked up a bottle of Pliny for less than four dollars and a bottle of Lindemans Cuvee Rene for nine. Drinking the Cuvee Rene now, every time I have it I'm reminded how good a gueuze this is for the price/availability. Fuck capped and corked bottles, though. Took me forever to get that annoying cork out.

Top Bottom