• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Moppet13

I tried the Narwhal (seasonal Sierra Nevada). Shit was delicious but incredibly dense and dark. My God, 1-2 max for a night. Good thing it comes in a 4 pack.

I really do love dark beers though. Glad I found that. Going to grab another 6 pack this weekend at some point.
Did you try the bourbon barrel aged narwhal? I hesitated on picking it up and it sold out over night where I live.

Did you try the bourbon barrel aged narwhal? I hesitated on picking it up and it sold out over night where I live.

It is really, really good. Definitely worth trying.

But worth it for twice the cost of a 4 pack of regular Narwhal? I would say no. Maybe if the bottle were like $13-14, but not the $19 it was here.

Jarnet87

Went to Total Wine and they had just gotten in some brews from Evolution brewing in Maryland. One of the managers said their IPA and Double IPA were really good so I picked up a bottle of each. They had Founders Big Lushious at the counter but I passed.

Went to Total Wine and they had just gotten in some brews from Evolution brewing in Maryland. One of the managers said their IPA and Double IPA were really good so I picked up a bottle of each. They had Founders Big Lushious at the counter but I passed.

I got the last bottle of Big Lushious in town here. It was pricey, but Founders stouts are reliable, so I figured why not spoil myself.

HiResDes

Definitely my favorite new stout of the year, but Beer Geek Brunch Weasel is my favorite stout I had this year. I actually crave that beer.

Holy shit I've seen that like once, I never know which Mikkeller to get whenever I see them...Wish I had known it was good, shit is probably gone now : (

...I just read that's made using Civet dung, which is an awful process:

Kopi Luwak, also known as caphe cut chon (fox-dung coffee) in Vietnam and kape alamid in the Philippines, is coffee that is prepared using coffee cherries that have been eaten and partially digested by the Asian palm civet, then harvested from its fecal matter.[4][5] The civets digest the flesh of the coffee cherries but pass the beans inside, leaving their stomach enzymes to go to work on the beans, which adds to the coffee's prized aroma and flavor.[4] 1 pound (0.45 kg) can cost up to $600 in some parts of the world and about $100 a cup in others

Seth C

Holy shit I've seen that like once, I never know which Mikkeller to get whenever I see them...Wish I had known it was good, shit is probably gone now : (

Yes, but..

We do not use Kopi Luwak from Indonesia in Beer Geek brunch Weasel. We use the Vietnamese variety cà phê Chồn.We have been aware since we started using cà phê Chồn in 2008 that not all civet coffee world wide is produced with the best care and respect of the cats. Therefor we searched for and found one supplier of cà phê Chồn that treats the animals with respect and dignity.This is a link to our producer, whom we have been in close contact with since we started working with them: http://choncoffee.com/

One of the bars I frequent has it on tap right now, so I let myself enjoy a pour whenever I go. If you happen to find your way down this way, let me know and we will have a glass. Thankfully it's expensive, so it has stuck around a while. Considering it cost them over $300 for the keg, the price seems like a value.

KingGondo

Banned

I didn't know that... And I honestly don't care because it's so damn good.

Oh, missed the part about the abuse. Thought you were complaining about the dung part.

Yes, I would care if the animals were abused.

HiResDes

Yes, but..

One of the bars I frequent has it on tap right now, so I let myself enjoy a pour whenever I go. If you happen to find your way down this way, let me know and we will have a glass. Thankfully it's expensive, so it has stuck around a while. Considering it cost them over $300 for the keg, the price seems like a value.

Oh that's awesome that they cared enough to do their homework and find a humanitarian dealer.

Enjoyed a bottle of St. Bernardus Christmas Ale. It is a gift from God herself. I LOVE their quad, and this was incredibly similar but with a little bit of bite to it. It was more of a subtle change to the regular Abt 12 where it was still sweet, but not quite as sweet, but with some spice added in. Very, very nice.

I might have to get a 4 pack now.

Drinking this for the first time. Wooo boy.

b1148b98e73ae8feabb2224f4ad83fb6_640x640.jpg

overcast

Keep a bottle or two to age. I just had a Narwhal from 2012 and it was awesome.
Oh shit. Didn't even know this.
I didn't grab that, didn't see it.
Stout of the year for me is still that Stone Xocoveza
Ah. That's what my friend brought to my 21st. That shit was great. Haven't found it since. I love Ballast Point's Victory At Sea, but that may be old. Favorite one I tried thus far I think. That Modern Times Coffee Stout is close too.

Just the thought of mixing two 18% ABV beers for a black and tan sounds intriguing and scary.
In my case, it was actually kind of by accident. Back when I was a shadow of the beer nerd I am today, my sister used to work as front-house manager at a place that had a pretty good beer selection. I stopped in to visit with her one day. She was busy with something and told me to just wait a few minutes at the bar and told the bartender to just give me whatever I wanted. So I ask for a black and tan. He goes, "I've got you. Let me set you up with something."

So he mixes me up this monstrosity in a 26 oz mug and sets it down in front of me with a grin. Damn if it wasn't delicious, but I was no longer in the range of sober afterwards.

In my case, it was actually kind of by accident. Back when I was a shadow of the beer nerd I am today, my sister used to work as front-house manager at a place that had a pretty good beer selection. I stopped in to visit with her one day. She was busy with something and told me to just wait a few minutes at the bar and told the bartender to just give me whatever I wanted. So I ask for a black and tan. He goes, "I've got you. Let me set you up with something."

So he mixes me up this monstrosity in a 26 oz mug and sets it down in front of me with a grin. Damn if it wasn't delicious, but I was no longer in the range of sober afterwards.

Holy crap. 26ozs? I bet you werent feeling too well later either after that. That is brutal.

Holy crap. 26ozs? I bet you werent feeling too well later either after that. That is brutal.
Oh, I was feeling pretty alright for a little while. Then not too great at all a while after. That was pretty much the end of the day for me. The things we do when we're young and stupid, right?

ShinAmano

If you are afraid about a fair trade, keep in mind that Dark Lord is released every year. It's limit 3 or 4 per person, and it is not barrel aged. 25,000 + bottles released.

I don't think I would trade a limit 1, barrel aged, only brewed once beer with a small bottle count for a bottle of Dark Lord, unless I had extras of that beer. (But of course I don't live too far from Three Floyds so it is less special for me).

I don't know how limited Trickery is, but it sounds pretty good :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Trickery is delish :)

dekline

Drinking this for the first time. Wooo boy.

I need to buckle down and try this someday. I always pass on it because it just doesn't sound very good.

But a 99 on ratebeer and 92 on advocate can't be all bad, right? Maybe I'll pick up a 12 oz bottle for the hell of it. There's a place across the river here that sells 'em for around $10 a pop.

Had Founder's Big Lushious tonight. A nice hint of chocolate with a strong raspberry taste. It felt like drinking a fruity chocolate bar. That is what I expected, and that is what I got, all with it being nice and thick.

Really yummy stuff if you are into that, but really pricey at $17 for the bottle. Like bourbon barrel aged Narwhal, I dont feel it is worth the price they are charging, but I am still happy that I tried it and am satisfied. Just not enough to want to shell that much out for it again.

Washing it down with a bottle of Dogfish Head Olde School, which is worth every penny.

That's why I'm asking, because it's absolutely not Plato. Plato is the equivalent of the percentage of sucrose by weight in a solution. It can only possibly go up to 100°.

Best I figure, it's in some kind of brewer's points (sort of). A wort at 1.131 SG could easily make it to 13.5% ABV. I've just never seen that listed out as degrees. If that's the case, I just wonder when that style of notation fell out of fashion.

My wife is bringing back a couple Pretty Things beers from Boston. Cutie Pie Imperial IPA and Barbapapa Russian Imperial Stout. No Jack's Abby singles available this time, bummer.

Fugu

The theme of the week was Mikkeller.
u4Cx2xp.jpg

黒 and Texas Ranger were both excellent. The rest were alright as well but they didn't blow me away.

Well, I had high hopes for the Mikkeller Santa's Little Helper for a good Christmas beer. It did not deliver. Without the spices, this would be a solid ale, but damn do the spices drag it down a ton. Such a shame.

Bleh. Two mediocre/kinda crappy beers tonight. I might have to go buy another St. Bernardus Christmas Ale to make myself feel better tomorrow. That stuff is a gift from god.

man i should have warned you...I had that shit during Thanksgiving dinner, was very meh.

Which one? LOL. I am most disappointed in the Santa's Little Helper, since the other Mikkeller stuff I have had has been really good.

And the only reason I got 2XMAS at dinner was because I hadn't tried it before. They had Choklat on tap too, and I should have gotten that. Sure, it is sickeningly sweet, but that is what I like about it.

Seth C

That's why I'm asking, because it's absolutely not Plato. Plato is the equivalent of the percentage of sucrose by weight in a solution. It can only possibly go up to 100°.

Best I figure, it's in some kind of brewer's points (sort of). A wort at 1.131 SG could easily make it to 13.5% ABV. I've just never seen that listed out as degrees. If that's the case, I just wonder when that style of notation fell out of fashion.

Oh sorry. Yeah it's just specific gravity.

I'm talking about Santa's Little Helper.

Yeah. Huge disappointment. I just finished the bomber of it, but want to wash the taste of it out. Maybe that final bottle of Victory Harvest Ale will do it.

Saving the Stone Enjoy By for tomorrow, but tons of places have it on tap. Even for growler fills.

Of course, might still get more St. Bernardus Christmas while I can. That stuff is just too good.

Also, this week it seems that Evil Twin is putting out Molotov Cocktail Lite. An 8% or so variant to the full strength Molotov Cocktail. I am intrigued.

Top Bottom