• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Eusis

BeerAge...where is your rage, yo.

Shown during the Super Bowl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHU_9ec94c
Seems sort of absurd for a company buying up the kind of breweries that'd make a pumpkin peach ale. But I guess they just want to get every demographic they can, and which one's more inclined to watch the Super Bowl rather than turn their nose up to it?
They're probably all drinking Bud Light instead anyway, not Budweiser.

Eusis

It's expected. Funny they spent the money to make the statement.

Besides like Blue Moon, what else do they own?
Blue Moon is Coors's. But last I checked they created Shock Top and that has equally "odd" flavors! They also bought Goose Island awhile back.

Blue Moon is Coors's. But last I checked they created Shock Top and that has equally "odd" flavors! They also bought Goose Island awhile back.
Also, recently, 10 Barrel and Elysian. The latter of which actually does make a pumpkin peach beer, as it turns out.

codhand

ryaSFf.gif

injurai

Banned
Which year is it? The date should be on the neck label of the bottle. I grabbed the three pack of 2011, 2012, and 2013 bottles and that was a fun comparison. The sweetness definitely mellows out as it ages. I still haven't gotten a 2014 bottle of it though, but I need to. Love that beer, and it is what turned me onto Belgian quads.

I don't usually look at years, maybe I should? I've had it twice, the first on tap then the second just this weekend. I've only ever seen it in those large bottles, so you either have to plan to do yourself in like I did, or crack it open for others.

I really need to try more Quads. For whatever reason there are a bunch of ale styles that don't seem all that popular in the states. I'm not really a PA/IPA guy which seems to be all the rage right now. Does anyone even make a Lambic state side?

I don't usually look at years, maybe I should? I've had it twice, the first on tap then the second just this weekend. I've only ever seen it in those large bottles, so you either have to plan to do yourself in like I did, or crack it open for others.

I really need to try more Quads. For whatever reason there are a bunch of ale styles that don't seem all that popular in the states. I'm not really a PA/IPA guy which seems to be all the rage right now. Does anyone even make a Lambic state side?
I don't know of any brewery in the US doing lambics in the traditional fashion. There are a few doing takes on blended gueze, though. And plenty putting out some really good sours of other kinds.

For quads, go get some Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus Abt 12. And take your time drinking them, as the flavors change a bit as it warms up. Someone on here suggested the Rochefort 10 at room temp I think, and it is great even at that. Personally, I like it just slightly chilled, but not ice cold.

PG2G

There are a handful of breweries that are making spontaneously fermented beer in the US. Jester King and Allagash are two that I can think of off hand, though there are others.

fijim

Banned
damn those look intimidating! what's the order gonna be?

please save some of each and blend them together

So I did a blend as you suggested and I think it was the better than any of them alone!

The Mikkeller Black makes a great base, it's huge and malty. The Tokyo adds a nice fruity sweetness to it, and the Dark Horizon just helps smooth it out.

There are a handful of breweries that are making spontaneously fermented beer in the US. Jester King and Allagash are two that I can think of off hand, though there are others.

New Glarus is doing it as well.

Hair of the Dog releases bottles of Cherry Adam next Friday at the brewery.

And yet again. It's flat. Ugh.

Fix it ghetto homebrew style!
GR1009505.jpg

Seriously though, I've transferred growlers to CO2 flushed 2L bottles if I knew I wasn't going to get to them in a reasonable time. Works great. There's something extra classy about drinking a great beer out of a plastic soda bottle.

overcast

My friend found this at Total Wine for 19.99. We're splitting the cost and we'll have a game of rock/paper/scissors for the glass.
1_99895920_3.jpg

He's getting the Rare Vos, I'm getting Three Philosophers and we're splitting that other one. Great deal, no?

My friend found this at Total Wine for 19.99. We're splitting the cost and we'll have a game of rock/paper/scissors for the glass.
1_99895920_3.jpg

He's getting the Rare Vos, I'm getting Three Philosophers and we're splitting that other one. Great deal, no?
For $20, a fantastic deal. Enjoy.

injurai

Banned
1_99895920_3.jpg

My eyes just got wide.
I want that glass.

Visiting the Bay Area this weekend (just in time for Beer Week but I doubt I'll brave any of the events except maybe the SARA one if I'm still around) and so far just had a pour of Prairie Funky Gold Amarillo which was delicious and a Cellarmaker Hop Making sense which is incredible. Cellarmaker's been killing it with these IPAs/pale ales, only had a few but this one's maybe the best I had so far. Tons of Nelson, Mosaic, and Amarillo and it just tastes like straight-up peach/mango puree.

I just got paid 45 bucks to sample some horrible new mass light beer.

I need some craft brews to wash the horrible taste out of my mouth

Bacon

Finally got my hands on the Green Tea IPA. It was... an interesting combination and I think the flavors worked together, but i don't think it's for me. It is something that I think people should try out for themselves though, it's pretty much unlike any other beer I've ever tried before.

ShinAmano

Finally got my hands on the Green Tea IPA. It was... an interesting combination and I think the flavors worked together, but i don't think it's for me. It is something that I think people should try out for themselves though, it's pretty much unlike any other beer I've ever tried before.
Basically my thoughts on it as well.

t-ramp

Anybody pick up Hopslam this year? Last year I bought a single, but $25 for a six-pack is bullshit. I ended up just getting a mix-and-match sixer tonight, plus a Rochefort 8 and some coffee beans, for less than that.

Jarnet87

Anybody pick up Hopslam this year? Last year I bought a single, but $25 for a six-pack is bullshit. I ended up just getting a mix-and-match sixer tonight, plus a Rochefort 8 and some coffee beans, for less than that.

Don't think its hit South Florida yet. It doesn't last long when it comes in but I'll grab a bottle if I see it.

Funky Buddha Last Snow hit this week, I'm done buying these hyped up coffee porter/stouts. I just dont like coffee enough to fully enjoy these beers. The coconut is interesting but I was hoping for the chocolate and other flavors to come through more then coffee. Same thing with MBCP. A good porter but not worth the $15 a bottle because it's largely coffee with a hint of smokiness and maple.

Stones Enjoy by 2-14-15 was good.

It falls into a the category of "I really liked it, but don't feel compelled to have it again."

Exactly how I feel about it. Well put.
There are quite a few like that. It is a category I kinda like because I don't feel bad when they go away, but feel good that I got to try them.

The worst category is the "Damn, that is good. I want that whenever I want it. But you find out it is a one time release or stoopid limited so you won't have it again unless you shell out for it or are damn lucky."
At the same time, that also makes them feel special.

Then there is the "God that is good, but is ridiculously overpriced and I will never spend my money on it again but glad I spoiled myself at least once."

The worst category is the "I spent how much on this mediocre (or worse, terrible) beer?"

Had a release for it at my local spot this afternoon. I'll get a draft or two of it when it comes around, but I've never had any inclination to pay the rates they want for it bottled.

EDIT: Oh and I brought a bottle of my pomegranate black berliner along to share with some of the regulars. Had three people tell me it's the best homebrew they've ever had. And this is in a group that has some folks that fancy themselves as pretty respectable homebrewers. Made me feel a bit proud of myself, I must say.

Stone Punishment.

I can still vividly remember the horribleness.

Well, the name was appropriate. But I was terrified of it just based on description. And then I saw the price tag. I never bothered trying it, and I feel I missed nothing.

The last two ridiculously expensive things I got were the barrel aged Old Rasputin and Mikkeller Raspberry Trippelbock. The Old Rasputin was awesome, but the price has stopped me from ever getting it again, no matter how yummy it was.

The Mikkeller tasted like a sour raspberry soda. A $16 single serving of sour raspberry soda. I love raspberry, but in this beer it was definitely not my thing. I am actually a little upset I even bought it, and it has made me question getting anything Mikkeller again. Well, after that and Santa's Little Helper by them, I am hesitant. I have quite enjoyed their Beer Geek stouts though.

t-ramp

Stone Punishment.

I can still vividly remember the horribleness.
I was at a restaurant a couple months ago that had either Crime or Punishment (can't remember which) on their bottle menu for $10. I thought it was amusing that it was still around, and at a nearly 50% discount to boot.

See, I grabbed it again cause it tasted so good to me. Really refreshing.

How much better is that Old Rasputin aged version? I love Rasputin normally.
I thought it was phenomenal. But ask yourself this: is one 500ml bottle of it worth the price of 9 12oz bottles of the regular one?

Do it if you want to splurge, but your money can go further with regular version.

overcast

How much is it? 20 something? Yeah I couldn't do that.

I think 15 is the absolute max I would pay for an individual beer right now.

injurai

Banned
I hold the belief that most things are worth it to have once. Maybe not all the time, but the experience and exploration of something new and different is often worth it.

overcast

I agree to a point. I love experimenting. Cap has to be set somewhere for me with the money I have though.

Side note, I need to try some more Ale Smith. Fucking loved the Speedway Stout. I'm planning on grabbing one of their Bloody Valentine's to celebrate Valentine's Day.

I hold the belief that most things are worth it to have once. Maybe not all the time, but the experience and exploration of something new and different is often worth it.
I agree to a point.

I agree to a point. I love experimenting. Cap has to be set somewhere for me with the money I have though.

But this is how I am. Anything over $12 for 750 ml gives me pause. Anything $15-20 better be something crazy good for me to go for it. The expensive 12oz bottles are a rare treat for me, like 120 minute or something.

I am all for trying new things. But when I think that for the price of one serving of the super rare stuff I could get a lot of individual bottles of multiple things to try.

injurai

Banned
Obviously I mean within responsible confines of your budget. I can't go around buying new and premium experience for everything. But it's a good ideal to not lose track of what is important in life. Which I think are experiences and memories.

overcast

Yeah, I'll buy like 1 (maybe 2) $10-12 four or 6 packs a week. Helps to have a friend grab his own 6 pack and share to get those experiences.

Like this week I'm considering a Modern Times 4 pack, since I've tried only the coffee one.

Zona

Had this at a bar last night where it was on draft. Very smooth, sort of nutty, a hint of sweetness, and just the smallest alcoholic bite at the end. As the DD I was entirely pleased with my choice of the nights one beer.

injurai

Banned
Had this at a bar last night where it was on draft. Very smooth, sort of nutty, a hint of sweetness, and just the smallest alcoholic bite at the end. As the DD I was entirely pleased with my choice of the nights one beer.

Not sure if it's the light, but the color of that beer is fantastic.

HiResDes

my recent haul

Elevator Three Frogs IPA

Young's Double Chocolate Stout (which I still think is the most refreshing beer on the planet)

Founder's Russian Imperial
Are you gonna try the Moerlein Double Stout, I might have to take one for the team and cop it.

injurai

Banned
Are you gonna try the Moerlein Double Stout, I might have to take one for the team and cop it.

I've never seen those up in Columbus, but I'm heading down near Cinci today. I usually see Moerlein in stock down their. So I'll grab it if I get the chance.

HiResDes

Also since you're around help me settle this debate. What's the best brewery out of Founder's, Bells, and Great Lakes? Who are you picking?

injurai

Banned
Also since you're around help me settle this debate. What's the best brewery out of Founder's, Bells, and Great Lakes? Who are you picking?

Ahh the trinity. This is a hard one. I feel I need another full year to hit up all the specialties/seasonals they each have. I've spent 10 minutes now looking over their beer selections...

Bell's Probably wins the numbers games, I'd need to taste test to hand out style awards.

Top Bottom