• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

fijim

Banned
Another Upland Sour Lottery is on. $25/bottle if you are selected to buy, can buy 2 of each bottle. At 5 beers, that's $250 on 10 bottles of beer. :| I want to enter to get them, but that's just too damn much I feel.

I have won it in the past, but I won't be entering new lotteries. Too much work, to either go out there and pick them up or find someone to proxy for you. Then $25 a bottle. And these are really sour so you need a group to drink them. I found I was just sitting on them and never drinking them.

I am excited to try the Sour Reserve I have though.

Don't you have to pay to enter the lottery and then pay again to buy the bottles?

Lottery is free

overcast

25 dollars for one beer is pretty insane.

Most I've done to this point is 14. I guess I can see if I had a job and probably a more refined palate.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
25 dollars for one beer is pretty insane.

Most I've done to this point is 14. I guess I can see if I had a job and probably a more refined palate.

Most of these "super sours" I've had all taste super similar to me. I recently had Persimmon Ship (a collab between Jolly Pumpkin and Upland) and it was like drinking a warhead candy. The novelty of sours is slowly wearing off for me, haha.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
They are 750 mL bottles, but I do think they are a little overpriced at $25.

It's entirely based on scarcity. They can charge that much because people will pay that much.

In other news, I'm drinking this right now:

lDamasceneCan.png

Good, still a bit heavy on the sour side, but still good. And a 4-pack is cheaper than 1 Upland novelty sour. :3

My favorite thing about Upland is their "Secret Barrel Society" that costs $250 and doesn't include any beer, just the guarantee of being able to purchase them.

fijim

Banned
There are good sours, and then there are Upland and Cascade who make the same sour base and dump some fruit in it and then charge exorbitant prices.

Yeah, I am pretty much over Upland and Cascade sours. They do have a few winners, but they are so expensive that I just tend to stay away now. There are better authentic sours sitting on the shelf (Jacobins Rogue, Rodenbach, Boon Kreik Marriage Parfait, etc..)

My favorite thing about Upland is their "Secret Barrel Society" that costs $250 and doesn't include any beer, just the guarantee of being able to purchase them.

Yeah, reminds me of the Bruery reserve/hoarders society as well. Pay big money for the right to pay for more expensive beer.

HiResDes

FULL WINTER BONANZA 2 LIST

Beers:
MadTree Lift
MadTree Happy Amber
MadTree PsycHOPathy
MadTree Gnarly Brown
MadTree Identity Crisis
MadTree BlackTart
MadTree Pilsner
MadTree Unhappy Amber
MadTree Thundersnow
MadTree Galaxy High
MadTree Experimental Pale Ale #002
MadTree Vernal Beckoning
MadTree Boysen Dunc
MadTree Funke Blue
MadTree Sprye
MadTree Lemon Basil Blonde
MadTree Pilgrim
MadTree Black Forest
MadTree PumpCan
MadTree Rubus Cacao
MadTree Gnappy (Pappy Van Winkle Gnarly Brown)
MadTree BBA Axis Mundi
MadTree Axis Mundi
MadTree Vanilla Axis Mundi
MadTree Coffee Axis Mundi
MadTree Chocolate and Pepper Axis Mundi
MadTree Belgo Axis Mundi
MadTree BBA Thundersnow
MadTree Olde Battering Ram
MadTree BBA Happy Amber
MadTree BBA Gnarly Brown
MadTree Dreamsicle

Locals and regionals:
Bad Tom Brewing - Fink Red Rye
Blank Slate Brewing Company - Long Way Home
Fifty West Brewing Company - BBA Head West
Old Firehouse Brewery - Winter
Warped Wing Brewing Company - Baltic Argonaut
Yellow Springs Brewery - BBA MAXXDOUT
Fatheads - Willet Rye BA Battle Axe
West Sixth Brewing - BBA Cocoa Porter
Land-Grant Brewing Company - Imperial IPA
Jackie O's Pub & Brewery - Wood Burner
Seventh Son Brewing - Oubliette
Fifth Street Brewpub - Scottish Reign
Columbus Brewing - Belgian Dark Strong
Hoppin' Frog Brewery - King Gose Home

OinfGr0.gif

codhand

fucking hell

i wish it would come in handy for me without having to fly to Belgium again :(

nah it applies to all beer

Beers:
MadTree Lift
MadTree Happy Amber
MadTree PsycHOPathy
MadTree Gnarly Brown
MadTree Identity Crisis
MadTree BlackTart
MadTree Pilsner
MadTree Unhappy Amber
MadTree Thundersnow
MadTree Galaxy High
MadTree Vernal Beckoning
MadTree Boysen Dunc
MadTree Funke Blue
MadTree Sprye
MadTree Pilgrim
MadTree Black Forest
MadTree PumpCan
MadTree Rubus Cacao
MadTree BBA Axis Mundi
MadTree Axis Mundi
MadTree Belgo Axis Mundi
MadTree BBA Thundersnow
MadTree BBA Happy Amber
MadTree BBA Gnarly Brown
MadTree Dreamsicle

Locals and regionals:

WZMsBnd.gif

see?

injurai

Banned

Beers:
MadTree Lift
MadTree Happy Amber
MadTree PsycHOPathy
MadTree Gnarly Brown
MadTree Identity Crisis
MadTree BlackTart
MadTree Pilsner
MadTree Unhappy Amber
MadTree Thundersnow
MadTree Galaxy High
MadTree Vernal Beckoning
MadTree Boysen Dunc
MadTree Funke Blue
MadTree Sprye
MadTree Pilgrim
MadTree Black Forest
MadTree PumpCan
MadTree Rubus Cacao
MadTree BBA Axis Mundi
MadTree Axis Mundi
MadTree Belgo Axis Mundi
MadTree BBA Thundersnow
MadTree BBA Happy Amber
MadTree BBA Gnarly Brown
MadTree Dreamsicle

Locals and regionals:

OinfGr0.gif

tumblr_m55oacxchx1qel90o0n.gif

See ya in another life brotha

codhand

There are good sours, and then there are Upland and Cascade who make the same sour base and dump some fruit in it and then charge exorbitant prices.

Cascade is more expensive than Upland with their recent price hike. I've had more Upland sours than Cascade. Also, while Upland can be hit or miss with these sours, I think saying they dump fruit in and call it a day is disingenuous.

Some sours they make--in addition to be entirely different from any other sours I've ever had-- don't feature any fruit at all, and many feature weird local ingredients that grow native in Bloomington.

I still like Cascade and Upland sours, but they are unquestionably high priced.

EDIT
Looking at the list of Upland beers on Beer Adv, I see what you mean, with their lambic series just being a base lambic with a different fruit added, whereas my experience is mostly with their Wild Ales, which have ranked on a scale of interesting to fantastic.

Here's Upland's Lightsynth wild ale description

"Lightsynth is 50% New Belgium Felix (ale aged in wine barrels), 40% Sour reserve, and 10% Cherry Lambic."

codhand

Some Cascade beers are really amazing to me though, like Bourbonic Plague, Manhattm, Sang Noir, etc

i second Sang Noir, i had a 2011 recently, super tasty

i have an apricot in the basement hoard section too. i should crack soon i know, prolly already faded the apricot.

PG2G

I bought 9 bottles of Track 10 today after drinking one last night lol. Though a few of them will go to lazy friends.

injurai

Banned
man I bought a bunch of light lagers, I don't know how people get into beer starting out on light lagers

there really isn't much there...

From a quick search it seems that it's going to officially hit Virginia February 2. That's just the street date so it might show up before/after but you should just ask your shop(s) when they're getting it in.

Just finished a bomber of El Segundo Hop Tanker that was bottled yesterday and uh damn that was delicious. Honestly though the ABV is just a bit too high at over 9%. Now I'm enjoying an Off Color Troublesome gose which I'm finding pretty disappointing. I know it's a blend of a wheat beer and a sour but I only taste the wheat beer :(

From a quick search it seems that it's going to officially hit Virginia February 2. That's just the street date so it might show up before/after but you should just ask your shop(s) when they're getting it in.

Thanks, yeah, I saw that date but was hoping for some real life recon. As well.

Lotto

I bought 9 bottles of Track 10 today after drinking one last night lol. Though a few of them will go to lazy friends.

Nice pick-up! I've only had Track 8 but that one sounds delicious too.

Went to a Russian River tap takeover last night. They had about 13 different '-tion' beers on tap + their regular stuff (Pliny/Blind Pig/STS Pils/Row 2, Hill 56/Dribble Belt.) Only tried about 3 of them though: Supplication, Sanctification, and Defenestration. Defenestration was actually my favorite of the three, it almost tasted like a hoppy tea, sweet and bitter. I've had Consecration before on tap elsewhere and have a bottle sitting in my cupboard but I didn't enjoy it that much, I found Supplication to be much better as a sour. Sanctification was actually my least favorite, so far all the brettanomyces beers I've had have been misses for me :(

Bacon

Yeah, I thought it was great. I saw it for cheapest at World Market today, I might grab a bottle next pay check.

They were already sold out at the store that I saw them at last weekend. Oh well.

I did pick up a 4 pack of Old Rasputin though. I've heard about how good it was for a while and it absolutely lived up to the hype. What an excellent stout.

Had a Founders takeover at my local bar.

KBS
Backwoods Bastard
Imperial Stout
Big Luscious
Porter
Dark Penance
Black Rye
Nitro Oatmeal Stout
Nitro Pale Ale
Red's Rye
All Day IPA

Place was a madhouse. Not a free chair in the place and elbow to elbow on top of that. I'm certain they were exceeding fire code. Managed to squeeze in the door, elbowed my way to the bar, and got a glass of KBS. Squeezed back outside to drink it on the curb out front.

Completely insane.

fijim

Banned
Order will be from left to right as pictured. I think I will blend some of the first three and compare it to Horizon Tokyo Black, since that is supposed to be a brew combining the elements of each of these beers.

So far Black is kicking my ass though...

edit 1: on to Tokyo, this one is hugely sweet and also a booze bomb. Don't think I will make it through more than 4oz of this.

Just put in a prodigiously long brewday yesterday. Imperial stout. Had to split the mash in two, drained eight gallons of wort that I had to boil down. Ended up with five gallons of 1.130. Seven hours later, my fermenter was already blowing off.

My pomegranate black berliner weisse is also just coming up to carbed so I'm sipping on that today. Tasty experiment, but the pomegranate is a little lost.

dekline

Sipping on some two hearted and abrasive ale right now.

Speaking of abrasive, the new surly beer hall looks great. I need to make a trip up there soon.

0407131929.jpg

love this beer, properly did me in

Which year is it? The date should be on the neck label of the bottle. I grabbed the three pack of 2011, 2012, and 2013 bottles and that was a fun comparison. The sweetness definitely mellows out as it ages. I still haven't gotten a 2014 bottle of it though, but I need to. Love that beer, and it is what turned me onto Belgian quads.

Edit: screw it. I have the day off tomorrow. Did two bottles of Olde School, now to finish the night with Golden Monkey.

Top Bottom