• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Also since you're around help me settle this debate. What's the best brewery out of Founder's, Bells, and Great Lakes? Who are you picking?
Oof, this is tough.

Bell's could nearly carry it on Two-Hearted alone and their specialty stuff is fun sometimes, but I'm just not going to reach for their porter over, say, an Edmund Fitzgerald or a Founders Porter, though if they released Roundhouse in bottles, they'd win a lot of points with me. If I had better access to their limited release stuff, I might have a different opinion, but as it is, they're third.

The other two are hard. After considerable deliberation, I'd put Founders second. Their regular lineup is dependable. All-Day IPA, Dirty Bastard, Founders Porter, Breakfast Stout... all great. Plus, they've got loads of fun and interesting one-offs and seasonal stuff.

For just a quietly dependable brewery, I gotta give it to Great Lakes. You don't hear a lot of noise around them, but Eliot Ness, Edmund Fitzgerald, and their Dortmunder are all easy to find, affordable, and each stand toe-to-toe with any other beer in their category. They win a shitload of medals and for good reason. You won't find as many wacky combos or weird-ass fruit beers, but if you want consistent quality, these guys won't let you down.

HiResDes

I'm not sure anymore, but I argued in favor of Bells that night, but their Stout game is not quite Founders level. Great Lakes has better beers in less popular styles.

Also since you're around help me settle this debate. What's the best brewery out of Founder's, Bells, and Great Lakes? Who are you picking?

Founders.

The Moerlein Double Stout was "meh". Little disappointed because their other limited releases were pretty solid. At least Emancipator is out now.

overcast

Double Cream Stout? Motherfucker.

Edit: February 23rd and Bell's should be popping up in Southern California. Impatiently waiting. Can any of you other Calfornians keep an eye on locations to grab it or locations for events?

injurai

Banned
Went to visit me mum this weekend. Found some Madtree Thunder Snow that I had left here. My past drunk self was very clever leaving this for my future self to discover. Bless up past self, I drink to you. God I'm good.

All this love for Bell's makes me want to get more by them. I have only had Two Hearted, which is great. I almost grabbed a bottle of Expedition Stout and a bottle of whatever their old ale was called. But I just grabbed a four pack of Founders Imperial Stout instead. I will get more Bell's eventually.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I love Two Hearted, but I don't think Expedition Stout is anything special.

EDIT - Oberon is pretty great too, if that's what you're thinking of.

I love Two Hearted, but I don't think Expedition Stout is anything special.

EDIT - Oberon is pretty great too, if that's what you're thinking of.

I forgot about Oberon. I have had that as well. The one I look at tonight was Third Coast Old Ale.

So Expedition isn't that great? I wanted some stout action tonight, and that was tempting me, along with a bottle of The Muddy. But I played it safe and got the Founders, which is always reliable.

Lotto

Double Cream Stout? Motherfucker.

Edit: February 23rd and Bell's should be popping up in Southern California. Impatiently waiting. Can any of you other Calfornians keep an eye on locations to grab it or locations for events?

Bell's is readily available in San Diego. I just picked up a Double Cream stout and Expedition stout the other day at my local wine/spirits shop. I was looking for their Java stout though but I think they ran out. They usually carry the latest in craft beers though, I'm just lucky to have them <10 minutes away from where I live. I saw Track #10 there for $17, probably gonna pick it up later this week if they still have it, oof the price though.

injurai

Banned
I forgot about Oberon. I have had that as well. The one I look at tonight was Third Coast Old Ale.

So Expedition isn't that great? I wanted some stout action tonight, and that was tempting me, along with a bottle of The Muddy. But I played it safe and got the Founders, which is always reliable.

I really like the Expedition. I think it is great, which is saying something different than it isn't special. I still find it unique but there are a lot of great stouts around. Go ahead and decide for yourself.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I really like the Expedition. I think it is great, which is saying something different than it isn't special. I still find it unique but there are a lot of great stouts around. Go ahead and decide for yourself.

agree. definitely worth trying. im a big fan

PG2G

I remember liking Founders Imperial Stout much more than Expedition Stout. Though last time I had a FIS it didn't impress, it was right after a Track #10.

NERsFpcl.jpg

My mom texted me this earlier tonight. She got it from our brewer friend who probably got it straight from Garret Oliver at Brooklyn...

Jarnet87

I remember liking Founders Imperial Stout much more than Expedition Stout. Though last time I had a FIS it didn't impress, it was right after a Track #10.

Ten Fidy is better then both. Breakfast Stout is hugely overrated, but KBS is legit. Someone mentioned Third Coast from Bells, saw it at this place yesterday and was tempted to get, never seen it before. I've had Founders Curmudgeon.

Went to Kush in Wynwood (near downtown Miami). It's this hipster restaunt/craft beer place. Had some rotating taps from local breweries and some other decent stuff tap/bottles. They also have a little waiting room with a ton of hard to find beers, some of which they just show off and dont even sell lol. Evil Twin, Mikellers, Prairie to name a few, shit you never seen in Florida, at least South Florida. Mark up on what they were willing to sell was pretty hefty, but that is to be expected.

oskar blues is good, never tried their imperial though

Oh, Ten Fidy is wonderful. I remember when I first bought a four pack of it. The clerk told me it looked like motor oil when you poured it. He was not wrong.

But as for Breakfast Stout by Founder's, I think it is fantastic. Yummy, easy to find when it launches, and reliable.

fijim

Banned

The Founders is better fresh, but it does not age well. Expedition on the other hand is one of the best stouts for aging. With a couple years on it is is amazing.

Ten Fidy is better then both. Breakfast Stout is hugely overrated, but KBS is legit..

Can't agree with this at all. While I could understand calling Breakfast Stout overrated in an area it is hard to get, for me I can buy cases of it at will during the season so it holds no "rarity" value. It is just simply a great coffee stout. If I had to fight to get it, then yeah I would say it is not worth it. But I think it has better coffee flavor than KBS.

KBS on the other hand is just pretty bland IMO. Maybe 2-3 years ago it was better, but the last few years I have been hugely disappointed with it. Especially considering how much of a hassle it is to score some. So many other barrel aged coffee stouts that blow it away: (Epic Big Bad Baptist, Bourbon County Coffee, Peruvian Morning, BA Speedway, FiftyFifty Java Eclipse)

HiResDes

I love Breakfast Stout too, especially on tap. KBS is just slightly too boozy for me in way that I think hinders its other flavors. I had one that was aged though and it was phenomenal. I befriended a guy partially because of his insane collection. I feel like an asshole lol.

I really just wanna try one of those Toppling Goliath Stouts more than anything.

fijim

Banned
I have had PsuedoSue and Golden Nugget, both were excellent.

I haven't had any of the stouts, and there is no way it is worth the trade ammo to try them. I am just hoping to get lucky a festival or event someday where one is available.

codhand

what he said. their IPAs have a unique quality i cant put my finger on. juicy i would say, not bitter. but an unexpected and different mouthfeel compared to most big famous IPAs.

The Founders is better fresh, but it does not age well. Expedition on the other hand is one of the best stouts for aging. With a couple years on it is is amazing.

Can't agree with this at all. While I could understand calling Breakfast Stout overrated in an area it is hard to get, for me I can buy cases of it at will during the season so it holds no "rarity" value. It is just simply a great coffee stout. If I had to fight to get it, then yeah I would say it is not worth it. But I think it has better coffee flavor than KBS.

KBS on the other hand is just pretty bland IMO. Maybe 2-3 years ago it was better, but the last few years I have been hugely disappointed with it. Especially considering how much of a hassle it is to score some. So many other barrel aged coffee stouts that blow it away: (Epic Big Bad Baptist, Bourbon County Coffee, Peruvian Morning, BA Speedway, FiftyFifty Java Eclipse)

I thought the Founder's Imperial Stout was better as it aged. At least the year old bottles that I had. It seemed to be a bit less sweet and sticky after some time. It is still great fresh, but I think I prefer it a bit older.

And I agree with your point about Breakfast Stout and rare beer in general. Ease of securing something does play a part in how I feel about it. Breakfast Stout has never been difficult to find wherever I live. It shows up, then is easily available for months on end. If anything, there are usually only a couple of months a year when I can't find it.

I have also noticed that anything that is supposedly rare disappears during launch, but if they get more people don't seem to care. Backwoods Bastard disappeared in a day or so here, but then about two weeks later places got tons of cases of it, and they have been collecting dust ever since.

I am curious how insane it will be to get KBS around here. I was only able to get it in CT because I knew the guys working the stores and they didn't advertise they got it, but I know here in KY it will disappear. Apparently Hopslam is showing up tomorrow, and they told me it will probably last an hour if they are lucky, since people will probably line up for it. That is just nuts. Just like when people line up for hours anytime they get Zombie Dust in.

M5ZjVm7.jpg

They're finally starting the roll out! March 3 for Iowa meaning they'll be just across the river from me. First we get Oscar Blues (finally) and now this, all in all a good year so far for beer drinkers in NE.

I've had Furious, Cynicale, Cacao Bender, Bender, Hell and Wet. Cynicale was nice, Furious was ok and Wet sucked balls, but Bender and Cacao Bender were really good. Hell is a solid lager.

What are the best lagers everyone's had? I definitely have trouble finding ones that are much better than the macro brewed affair.

Summit Pilsner, Firestone Walker's Pivo Pils, Ska's Mexican Logger, Surly Hell, North Coast Scrimshaw, Full Sail's Session, Avery's Joe's Pilsner, Sierra Nevada's Nooner Pils.

codhand

i definitely go for German

Weihenstephaner OG or Schlenkerla Helles are two widely avail lagers that are better than 90% of US craft breweries, doesnt hurt that theyre extremely affordable

Kloster, Mahr's, Ayinger

I pretty much buy any Kellerbier on sight

also, Jack's Abby which is New England only, they make only lagers.

fuck, i like Heineken, give me some skunk in my lagers and I'm happy, Becks included.

other US ones, (which all tend to be hoppier than German)

Pivo
Prima
Nooner
Elm City
Scrimshaw
Remain In The Light

This is pretty good. Hard to find though. Indian Pale Lager.

beers-fathom-primary-image.png

I'm not sure I buy the whole IPL thing. Don't get me wrong, I've had a few that I have really enjoyed, I just don't feel the lager yeast and cold ferment really add anything in such a big, hop-centric beer that wouldn't be there with a neutral ale yeast. I might have to try a side by side one of these days...

injurai

Banned
I'm not sure I buy the whole IPL thing. Don't get me wrong, I've had a few that I have really enjoyed, I just don't feel the lager yeast and cold ferment really add anything in such a big, hop-centric beer that wouldn't be there with a neutral ale yeast. I might have to try a side by side one of these days...

Admittedly I felt like I was cheating when I posted that. My lager game is weak. Or maybe it's the Breweries who need to answer for their weak game. Ales just seem more popular and better done to me.

andylsun

Admittedly I felt like I was cheating when I posted that. My lager game is weak. Or maybe it's the Breweries who need to answer for their weak game. Ales just seem more popular and better done to me.

I think lagers just have a bad rep due to the mainstream American lagers. I love a good Pilsner (Jack's abbey is ace, so is Mamas Little Pils from Oksar Blues), but it think most people think of ales when they think of craft beer.

Lagers are harder to brew and also kill your pipeline due to the longer time from grain to glass. Lagering tanks and the associated refrigeration equipment are expensive for a small brewery.

HiResDes

Thanks for the posts homies. Weistephaner is my previous favorite, but that's like the only one of those I've had. Brooklyn Lager is decent, but yeah I just need to go out and try some of these.

What are the best lagers everyone's had? I definitely have trouble finding ones that are much better than the macro brewed affair.

Chuckanut (Bellingham, WA), Heater Allen (Wilsonville, OR), Real Ale (Blanco, TX), Four Winds (Delta, BC Canada) and Jack's Abby (Framingham, MA).

Jarnet87

I like that KBS has less of a coffee flavor then Breakfast Stout. Im not a big coffee guy and I think that in most of the stouts/porters that have coffee in them it is too overpowering. I dont know if that is because they are putting a shit ton of it in the beer, or if its because coffee just comes out really strong.

Top Bottom