• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

codhand

called it..

well you're right about the run ons, and punctuation, but he is just a blogger with a day job, responding to a paid writer of a poorly researched article, shitting on a 500 year old german tradition, so i dont mind the errors too much, plus it made me laugh

edit
also as you can see, im a big fan of the run-on sentence! fuck periods ;p

I do need to try some gose soon. The one that is apparently the most popular around here is The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose. It is cheap enough, so might grab a can and give it a whirl.

Heading to Bend tomorrow for the long weekend with a quick stop in Portland for dinner and some Cherry Adam from the Wood bottles at Hair of the Dog.

too cold for Gose! :p

Yeah, it's really meant to be a warm weather beer. Probably won't stop me from having one at Holy Mountain tonight, though.

codhand

yeah, i'm not too picky about what i drink in winter but if i had to pick three i want nothing to do with (nov-feb) it'd be Goses, Berliners, and Kolschs, it just dont feel right

injurai

Banned
Just realized my Founders Imperial Stouts are from 2013. Not sure If I should save it or not. Are they typically aged this long before reaching shelf?

edit: well too late, having the last one. Not sure if it's Founder's bottles or something about the fluid dynamics of their Imperial stout. But it pours like shit, and it's already all over my hands when I pop the cap... step up your bottle game Founders.

Just realized my Founders Imperial Stouts are from 2013. Not sure If I should save it or not. Are they typically aged this long before reaching shelf?

edit: well too late, having the last one. Not sure if it's Founder's bottles or something about the fluid dynamics of their Imperial stout. But it pours like shit, and it's already all over my hands when I pop the cap... step up your bottle game Founders.

Never had an issue like that with anything Founders. I am not sure what happened.

And it looks like there is a new badge on Untappd. All Hopped Up. Level up for every 5 beers you drink with 65 IBUs or higher. Too bad it isn't retroactive like some of the other badges seem to be.

Never had an issue like that with anything Founders. I am not sure what happened.

And it looks like there is a new badge on Untappd. All Hopped Up. Level up for every 5 beers you drink with 65 IBUs or higher. Too bad it isn't retroactive like some of the other badges seem to be.

Funny thing is that tons of beers on Untappd don't list their IBUs...

injurai

Banned

I think it's the fluid dynamics of the stout. It's like it's homing towards my mouth, this glass just doesn't want to hold it.

I think it's the fluid dynamics of the stout. It's like it's homing towards my mouth, this glass just doesn't want to hold it.

So you are saying you have developed a drinking problem?

8gemgd7.gif

:)

Funny thing is that tons of beers on Untappd don't list their IBUs...

Maybe that is something they are going back and fixing.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Can somebody explain untappd again. More why I should do it.
You do you but:

I like seeing what my friends are drinking where, what they thought, etc. Ive worked out more than a few trades this way and found taps on around town that I wouldnt have otherwise known were on.

I also like going back and seeing what I thought of stuff and looking up when/where I drank some whales in the past with the dates and locations of checkins.

Can somebody explain untappd again. More why I should do it.

It's a social network for beer. It's fun to see what friends are drinking locally and around the world depending on your travels and who you're friends with. It's been super helpful when I was in Japan, Mexico, Europe, Canada and other parts of the US to see what's nearby on tap.

Lotto

codhand

funny stuff.

I'm Iwazaru on untappd, I put a fake name when I made it. I mostly forget to log the stuff I drink and if I do log it I end up doing it much later x_x I wanna be more active on it though.

Also, I'm going to that Firestone Feral One Liberation event for Valentine's Day. I ain't one for sours but I don't have anything else to do, should be fun.

killer7 reference? nice

Drpunch

Neo Member
I just joined Untappd, seems like a total waste of time, but what the hell...Name is HiResDez

I just sent you a request, drpunch.

Birthday weekend, looking forward to cracking my last Westy 12 in the coming days. Really pissed I didn't buy more when I had the chance.

BearPawB

Banned
Quick question for the brewers out there. Only my second time brewing a beer. How important is a secondary fermenter? Last recipe didn't call for one. This irish red ale does.

Juanfp

Yeah, no problem. It might taste a bit different, but considering it's mass produced and pasteurized, there shouldn't be any safety concern.

Thanks, later a I will try it. Was kinda worry because where I live we don't have Guinness and this one I bought when a travelled and I found 2 cans yesterday very hidden in my kitchen shelf.

Quick question for the brewers out there. Only my second time brewing a beer. How important is a secondary fermenter? Last recipe didn't call for one. This irish red ale does.
Almost never necessary. There are a number of reasons that are commonly cited as rationale for transferring to a secondary vessel, but pretty much all of them have been debunked on a homebrew scale.

Just go ahead and leave your beer in the primary fermenter for the full duration.

andylsun

Not important for ales but important for lagers. I dry hop in the primary once fermentation has finished.

Tunic

Sipping on a bottle of Black Raven's Birdserker Triple IPA while playing Majora's Mask 3DS. Having a great Sunday afternoon!

Lotto

killer7 reference? nice

heh yeah, love that game.

The Firestone Walker Feral One event was pretty awesome. I would probably go to the next one given the chance. All the beers there were pretty fantastic and they had food pairings at each tasting station. Personal favorite from the event had to be the Helldorado which is a Imperial Blonde Ale paired with gouda cheese, yum. Most of the sours were surprisingly inoffensive to me and really good even. Bretta Rosé and Bretta Weisse also managed to impress me even though I said earlier in this thread that I didn't like heavy brettanomyces beers, but it's probably just because I haven't explored too much of them.

Didn't know what to grab at the store so I snagged at 32 oz bottle of Lagunitas Sucks.

Lagunitas never lets me down.

Sucks is really damn good. Good choice.

Had an Expedition Stout tonight and really liked it. Nice and smooth and not too thick. Ending the night with a bottle of London Balling.

torontoml

So I haven't ever really branched out trying lots of beers. But I had a couple glasses of Delirium Tremens last week at the airport and fell in love with it almost immediately. Now my issue is I can't get it where I live. I found a liquor store in Edmonton (4 hours away though) that will order it in but I can't decide if 24 of them is worth over $200 to me.

Drpunch

Neo Member
So I haven't ever really branched out trying lots of beers. But I had a couple glasses of Delirium Tremens last week at the airport and fell in love with it almost immediately. Now my issue is I can't get it where I live. I found a liquor store in Edmonton (4 hours away though) that will order it in but I can't decide if 24 of them is worth over $200 to me.

Is this Edmonton, Alberta? It's readily available here at most decent liquor stores if you're referring to the same Edmonton.

torontoml

Yeah, well that's good to know, but I'm in Fort McMurray. Long way to go for some beer and if I'm going to Edmonton to get it I won't just be getting a few bottles.

andylsun

So no more beer for me until Easter. Every year I give up drinking beer for Lent. No religious reason, more for health and a bit of self-control.

Doesn't mean I won't be brewing up a storm though. Pilsner, Belgium Golden Ale and a Octoberfest all planned for brewing.

Tried my Oxygenation Stone on Sunday with my new Bavarian Lager starter. Yes I know the stir bar will knock the dissolved oxygen out of solution, but I wanted to test it. Looks like it worked really well and can't wait to use it on a full batch.

Shacker

Neo Member
It's been a while since I checked in, but last week was an amazing beer week. I wish I could share more than my words.

A friend was visiting from Northern California and on Thursday night, a few of us hit Belmont Station where we enjoyed Goose Island, Bourbon County on tap as well as Pliny the Elder and Barely Brown's Imperial IPA, Forklift, which in my opinion, is tastier than Pliny. Go ahead and beat me up.

Then we moved on to Cascade Brewing just a couple miles away on the east side of Portland. There's nothing like them on the planet 'cept them. They craft the most unbelievable sours. I'll just say their Barrel Aged Chocolate Bourbonic Plague is the Nigel Tufnel amplifier of beers. UNTAPPD doesn't have a high enough rating to do it justice.

On Saturday, we hit the Festival of Dark Arts, a Carnival of Stout at Fort George Brewery in Astoria, OR (home of Goonies). I'm too old to say this but it was AMAZEBALLS. Here are just a few of the stouts we sampled. There were over 60 on tap.

Trinity Brewing, Chocolate River
Fort George, Bourbon Barrel Cavatica
PFRIEM, Belgian (it was dark!)
Deschutes, Abyss 2014
Fort George, Coffee Girl (very coffee wow yum)
Great Divide, Espresso Oak-Aged Yeti
Mill City Brew Werks, Tripwire (this was a favorite)
Pelican, Mother of All Storms (blend - 2011, 2012, 2013 - another favorite)
Stone Brewing, 2011 Russian Imperial (another favorite)
Firestone, Velvet Merkin Anejo (aged in tequila barrels - this one was complex and fun)
Firestone, Parabola (amazing)
Sierra Nevada, Narwhal
And more... I tried to keep track, but it was difficult for obvious ABV-related reasons.

There was a blacksmith, glass blower, still art area, fire dancing, bands playing - it was crazy. You had to have pre-purchased tickets to gain entry this year and as a result, it was much easier to move around. Also, the weather was phenomenal for the Oregon Coast in February, so that didn't suck.

Cheers!

Top Bottom