• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

codhand

431jauvc.png

It's everywhere.

nice willett bro!

dekline

nice willett bro!

Thanks man. Surprisingly good at only 2 years and 107.7 proof.

Yeah, it was all over Minneapolis last weekend. Still a bit much at $16.99 a 6 pack, but considering Ballast Point and Surly Abrasive were bot $1 more, I guess hops are expensive...or something...

Abrasive is expensive as fuck. Great beer though. Surly does gouge their beer prices often which is a shame. Thankfully new glarus isn't far.

PG2G

Looks like Mikkeller buying out Alesmith's old brewery in SD. Hopefully their prices will be more reasonable without them relying on contract brewing.

Kjellson

Are there any Belgians here? I'm going to Belgium this summer (basically just for the beer) and I'm looking for cool bars with cool beers in Brussels, wondering if anyone got any recommendations. Hyped!!

Are there any Belgians here? I'm going to Belgium this summer (basically just for the beer) and I'm looking for cool bars with cool beers in Brussels, wondering if anyone got any recommendations. Hyped!!

I'm not Belgian but I've been to Brussels twice. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of Belgium can chime in but this is what I'd recommend.

Go to Cantillon. Only like 7 euro for a self-guided tour and two pours, plus you can buy more pours/bottles at the end. It's incredible, even if you somehow don't like sour beers you should still check it out just for the amazing old equipment.

As far as bars go, off the top of my head:

Moeder Lambic (both locations): great selection, kinda pricy for rare bottles but you can get Cantillon on cask here
Au Bon Vieux Temps: pretty cute and last I checked you can get Westy here
La Fleur en Papier Doré: cafe where Magritte and friends used to hang out, they serve Oud Beersel lambic out of a box

Not sure how long you'll be there but if you're not there long don't bother with Delirium Cafe, good selection but the worst combination of tourist-y and bro-y lol

There's some great stuff to do outside of Brussels, are you visiting any other cities?

Kjellson

I'm not Belgian but I've been to Brussels twice. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of Belgium can chime in but this is what I'd recommend.

Go to Cantillon. Only like 7 euro for a self-guided tour and two pours, plus you can buy more pours/bottles at the end. It's incredible, even if you somehow don't like sour beers you should still check it out just for the amazing old equipment.

As far as bars go, off the top of my head:

Moeder Lambic (both locations): great selection, kinda pricy for rare bottles but you can get Cantillon on cask here
Au Bon Vieux Temps: pretty cute and last I checked you can get Westy here
La Fleur en Papier Doré: cafe where Magritte and friends used to hang out, they serve Oud Beersel lambic out of a box

Not sure how long you'll be there but if you're not there long don't bother with Delirium Cafe, good selection but the worst combination of tourist-y and bro-y lol

There's some great stuff to do outside of Brussels, are you visiting any other cities?
Thanks a lot for the tips! I'll check them out! The Cantillon one sounds interesting!

I'm also glad you warned me about Delirium, as that was the only place I have looked up so far. Also, their website sucks, lol.

As for the cities, me and my brother decided recently about the trip so we haven't actually decided where we're going, but I assume Brussels since it's the capital and all. If we decide to go somewhere else I'll ask in this thread!

Are there any Belgian beers/styles you like in particular? Some breweries are much easier/feasible to visit than others.

Belgium is pretty small so you can easily take the train to other cities for day trips. Bruges is gorgeous and has some great beer, haven't personally visited Antwerp or Ghent but they sound great too.

Kjellson

Are there any Belgian beers/styles you like in particular? Some breweries are much easier/feasible to visit than others.

Belgium is pretty small so you can easily take the train to other cities for day trips. Bruges is gorgeous and has some great beer, haven't personally visited Antwerp or Ghent but they sound great too.
Just as PhoncipleBone said, the Dubbels and so on are really great. Had a few of the this weekend, and I would love to have more.

PG2G

People always talk bad about Delirium, is it really that bad? Curious because I've never been.

I understand going to breweries and cafes and having a more relaxed experience. I just feel like a place with more of a social/party atmosphere has its place, especially at night time.

I've only been once and in the afternoon so I can't really comment on what it's like at night time. Still, it was kinda packed and full of people not really used to high-ABV beer drinking way too much of it. Obviously the beer list is huge and extensive and that's cool but I didn't enjoy the environment at all. I just think there are better places to spend the time/money if you're not in Brussels long.

People always talk bad about Delirium, is it really that bad? Curious because I've never been.

I understand going to breweries and cafes and having a more relaxed experience. I just feel like a place with more of a social/party atmosphere has its place, especially at night time.

Delirium Cafe in Brussels? Fucking predatory tourist trap that attracts a bunch of Euro-bros who want to get drunk. Avoid like the plague. Funny enough, the one in Tokyo is better.

Cannot wait to go back to Brussels in June. Moeder Lambic and Cantillon ahoy. Aux Bon Vieux Temps is cool, and honestly Cafe Mort Subite has a nice vibe even if it is right off the Grand Plas and the beer isn't the best.

codhand

Delirium Noel is good stuff, underrated

the original does catch flack, tbh i haven't had it in years either. I remember it tasting like a sweet, brown-sugary, quad.

pxleyes

Banned
Yeah, it was all over Minneapolis last weekend. Still a bit much at $16.99 a 6 pack, but considering Ballast Point and Surly Abrasive were bot $1 more, I guess hops are expensive...or something...

That's dirt cheap! It is $26.99 a 6-pack if you can find it here in Orlando.

Jamesways

New Belgium Cocoa Mole back in the Twin Cities market.

Glorious beer. Spicy, complex, not too heavy. One of my favorite of their specialties. Glad they revived it.

Got a four pack of Double Crooked Tree, Stone Enjoy By 3.14.15, and Prairie Apple Brandy Barrel Noir. Damn was the Prairie good. More chocolate flavor to my tongue with a subtle brandy flavor aftertaste. Really good.
Gonna try the other stuff this weekend.

HiResDes

So I left my phone over my girl's house so no pics today, but I'm currently enjoying a four pack of Ten Fidy...And I must say it is living up to every single bit of the hype. Feeling like it might edge out Old Rasputin as my stout standby, well if weren't 14.50 for a four-pack. I also scored the Stone Green Tea thing and a bomber of Biere De Mars.

Jarnet87

So I left my phone over my girl's house so no pics today, but I'm currently enjoying a four pack of Ten Fidy...And I must say it is living up to every single bit of the hype. Feeling like it might edge out Old Rasputin as my stout standby, well if weren't 14.50 for a four-pack. I also scored the Stone Green Tea thing and a bomber of Biere De Mars.

I still have some Ten Fidy from '13, which most people say isnt as good as last years. Haven't really been drinking stouts lately. Still like them, though I would rarely drink them any other time then at night.

Dogfish had some really interesting stuff that I wnated to try, but wondered if anybody had an opinion on, these three especially:

I got a bottle of Sah'tea as a going away present from a coworker last summer. I quite liked it. It was one of those that I was very happy with and enjoyed, but don't feel compelled to get again. It is worth trying at least once.

Also, glad that Ten Fidy lived up to the hype. It has been a very long time since I had it, and I always toy with getting a four pack every time I hit the store, but the price puts that in the "only when I treat myself" category. Of course, the pack of Double Crooked Tree I got the other day was the same price, but that was a limited release.

Speaking of which, enjoying that one now. Really good double IPA, and yes, it is kicking my ass in a good way.

Never heard of that Des, but it it edges out Rasputin it's gotta be great.

It is thicker and heavier than Old Rasputin, but the price is pretty high for a widely available beer. Definitely get some and try it though.

dekline

Dogfish had some really interesting stuff that I wnated to try, but wondered if anybody had an opinion on, these three especially:

I remember drinking these several years back. I enjoyed Theobroma, but I don't remember a thing about Sah'tea. I say go for it. You're either going to love or hate a dogfish head anyway.

And you're right about ten fidy. Really tasty stuff.

HiResDes

Thanks a bunch guys, gonna grab them next time and give some impressions. The mouthfeel is definitely superior to Old Rasputin, I'm also getting just a touch of smoke, which isn't as present in Old Rasputin.

Been a while since I had Ten Fidy but yeah it's a great stout, prob my favorite mouthfeel of the non-barrel aged imperial stouts I've had. I'd love to try one of those 32oz "crowlers" with barrel-aged Ten Fidy you can get at the brewery sometime though, sounds fantastic.

Getting drunk off a four pack of 10.5% stout is pretty far from embarrassing IMO lol. That's like 2 bombers worth, most people would be put on their ass.

I know. I could probably down a four pack of it if I wanted to, but I would wind up being awake all night long and have a bad nights sleep. Too much alcohol makes me wired. I usually just stop at two and give it a few hours to get out of my system before bed.

overcast

I found the Ten-Fidy at Bevmo but couldn't put down that much for it. Anything else they make good? (May still get that next week though).

Top Bottom