• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

t-ramp

Huh, there's some buzz on BA and Twitter indicating that Toppling Goliath and their head brewer have parted ways. Interesting if true...

Huh, there's some buzz on BA and Twitter indicating that Toppling Goliath and their head brewer have parted ways. Interesting if true...

Things like that happen regularly in the beer world. The more important question is if TG has good people behind him to pick up the pieces and continue on.

I'm sure TG owns the recipes. When my dads friend left Deschutes to start Crux he didn't get to take Abyss, Mirror Mirro, Dissident, etc. with him.

Things like that happen regularly in the beer world. The more important question is if TG has good people behind him to pick up the pieces and continue on.

I'm sure TG owns the recipes. When my dads friend left Deschutes to start Crux he didn't get to take Abyss, Mirror Mirro, Dissident, etc. with him.

Yeah both of them should be fine. I can't imagine people ceasing to buy TG beers and the head brewer could piss in a barrel wherever he goes and people will still be filling counterfeit bottles to trade.

andylsun

Just picked up some wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast for a starter. Pack was made on 12 Feb, so it's only 2 weeks old. Two litre starter was fermenting within 6 hours on a stir plate. Crazy fast.

codhand

Drinking a Biere de Mars right now and it's hitting every cyclinder. This and La Roja are so damn good.

giphy.gif

Had a Ballast Point thing at my local spot. They finally managed to roll in a keg of Grapefruit Sculpin. It's a much mellower beer than I expected. I can see why it's got the reputation, though. Damn fine beer, that.

skynidas

Banned
guys, i have plans to open a beer bar. it would be on the little side of things, handled mostly by myself, here in madrid we only have one decent craft beer bar and there's a big market that needs attention.

I want to know from you guys that really like good beer, what do you look for in a bar? do you prefer moody/dark lightning inside? or more bright lights? things like that, i want your input!

the project is still in the planning/researching stages.

guys, i have plans to open a beer bar. it would be on the little side of things, handled mostly by myself, here in madrid we only have one decent craft beer bar and there's a big market that needs attention.

I want to know from you guys that really like good beer, what do you look for in a bar? do you prefer moody/dark lightning inside? or more bright lights? things like that, i want your input!

Offer short pours at a reasonable fraction of your pint prices.

Chris R

What I like is a great selection of beer on tap with a beer menu clearly showing the prices. Nothing worse than walking into a bar with ZERO prices on the alcohol.

Nice calm environment to sit and talk with friends. Not a big fan of extremely loud music. The option of half pouts and clear pricing is appreciated. Try and focus on local craft beer. It always drives me nuts when I go to a craft beer place somewhere else and it's the same stuff I can get back home.

Check out Digital Pour's setup. BierCab in Barcelona uses it:

http://www.digitalpour.com

I'll be in Madrid for a few days at the end of June, what's the one bar that is currently open there?

skynidas

Banned
Nice calm environment to sit and talk with friends. Not a big fan of extremely loud music. The option of half pouts and clear pricing is appreciated. Try and focus on local craft beer. It always drives me nuts when I go to a craft beer place somewhere else and it's the same stuff I can get back home.

Check out Digital Pour's setup. BierCab in Barcelona uses it:

http://www.digitalpour.com

I'll be in Madrid for a few days at the end of June, what's the one bar that is currently open there?

The one that is currently open is IRREALE, the address is "Calle de Manuela Malasaña, 20". The bar is okay but it's the best in Madrid right now, that's why i want to open something new and better.

Oh, and if you are going to Barcelona, definitely visit BierCab, it's the best beer bar in Spain, the beers are great and they have a beer shop next door that is also owned by them that is pretty good.

Ohnonono

Heya Beer GAF! It is Dragon's Milk and Theophan the Recluse tonight!

Also exciting, my wife got me tickets to a Beer Festival in March close to me! Can't wait to go taste great beer and get drunk in public!

Heya Beer GAF! It is Dragon's Milk and Theophan the Recluse tonight!

Also exciting, my wife got me tickets to a Beer Festival in March close to me! Can't wait to go taste great beer and get drunk in public!

You don't want to be that guy.

The one that is currently open is IRREALE, the address is "Calle de Manuela Malasaña, 20". The bar is okay but it's the best in Madrid right now, that's why i want to open something new and better.

Oh, and if you are going to Barcelona, definitely visit BierCab, it's the best beer bar in Spain, the beers are great and they have a beer shop next door that is also owned by them that is pretty good.

Awesome. And yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about BierCab. Going to Barcelona, Madrid, Toledo, Grenada and Malaga.

Also, did you send me an Untappd request? I think I deleted not knowing who it was. Send it again and I'll accept.

skynidas

Banned
Awesome. And yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about BierCab. Going to Barcelona, Madrid, Toledo, Grenada and Malaga.

Also, did you send me an Untappd request? I think I deleted not knowing who it was. Send it again and I'll accept.

In Malaga there's a recently opened beer bar called "Central Beers" (weird name) that is supposed to be pretty good. It opened like 2 weeks ago.

And request sent!

What I like is a great selection of beer on tap with a beer menu clearly showing the prices. Nothing worse than walking into a bar with ZERO prices on the alcohol.
Seconding this. I am glad everywhere around here puts prices on stuff.

Right now at a late lunch. Salad, slice, and a beer for $10. Not a bad deal. :)

Enjoying Country Boy Nate's Coffee Stout. Always a sucker for coffee beers.

codhand

skynidas, i think dark and dreary is never a good look. that's not to say there aren't cool bars with great beers, and no natural light, it's just a preference.

also lots of Loverbier, Ducato, Grado Plato, Borgo, Baladin and Carrobiolo

my advice would be, dont try to carry a bunch of US craft stuff just because you can, and embrace the awesome craft scene happening in Italy.

I've got a growler of Head Hunter IPA from Fat Head's Portland brewrry. Hoping to get a couple buddies over tonight to help drink it.

skynidas, i think dark and dreary is never a good look. that's not to say there aren't cool bars with great beers, and no natural light, it's just a preference.

Brouwers Cafe in Seattle has very little natural light (a skylight and a few second floor windows). Let me find some pictures online.

IMG_4182.JPG

Jarnet87

Got to try out Mikkeller 1000 IBU this weekend. had some bite to it. Was kind of expensive but I'd like to try out more of their beers.

J Wakefield Brewing is having a grand opening down in Miami. $60 for a ticket, unlimited 4 oz pours. Still kind of pricey but may go.

codhand

Just bought these two.

I have heard great things from both. I'll drink one of them tonight or tomorrow. The Bo & Luke was a little steep (€17.60) but i heard it was worth it.

i just had a 2012 bo and luke, shit was the most dissapointing thing i've had all year, i would try yours fresh because everyone swears by that beer.

Bells finally made it to a store near me so I picked up a few bottles. Got a couple Oarsman and Two Hearted and a bottle of Expedition Stout. Pretty fresh, the Two Hearted was bottled 2/3 so I'm looking forward to having it again for the first time in a couple years. Never tried Expedition so I'm excited for that.

No cans, unfortunately. Hopefully those will make it over soon. They also had Third Coast, Porter, Java Stout, and Oberon, not sure what other beers are gonna make it here.

PG2G

i just had a 2012 bo and luke, shit was the most dissapointing thing i've had all year, i would try yours fresh because everyone swears by that beer.

I thought it was pretty tasty for a smoked stout. Smoked stouts aren't that great in the first place though

fijim

Banned

One interesting concept I have seen is making the bar more like a coffee shop where people can come and do some work on their laptop and enjoy a beer. There is one in Chicago named Beermiscous.

Not sure if this idea would work for you, but if you are looking for something different it is something to consider.

Another awesome idea is the Kalamazoo Beer Exchange, this place has a real time beer stock exchange system which determines the prices of beers available. The more demand a certain beer has, the more it's price increases, while beers in low demand drop in price and become cheap. Every so often a market crash occurs and all of the prices plummet, then people rush to order beer before the prices stabilize. Pretty cool concept. It encourages people to try less popular beers and adds another element to the experience.

gC0QdRC.jpg

overcast

I tried the Bell's Double Cream Stout yesterday at Stone and was pretty unimpressed. Didn't really have much of an impact, not a whole lot going on flavor wise to where I thought it was flat.

That's true. I mainly want some Black Note. Other than that most Bells stuff will probably be a one time purchase.

Yeah I don't have much interest in Hopslam since I don't like really sweet IPAs for the most part. Black Note would be great, wouldn't mind trying some of that Planet series either.

Drank the Oarsman, which I'd had before a couple years ago and remembered liking. Ugh I'm not sure what happened, I remember this being a little more sour and with less of a grain aftertaste. It's still refreshing (not really ideal in this rainy weather here) but I won't get it again especially with Anderson Valley Gose available.

Now I'm on the Two Hearted. This held up to what I remembered, thankfully. It's a really solid IPA and I'd definitely pick up cans of it from time to time. Sure there are better local options but unfortunately freshness has become an issue, I can't find fresh Modern Times/Pizza Port cans recently for the life of me.

Excited to try the Expedition Stout later tonight, though. If there's a niche here that Bells can fill best it's solid stouts in six packs.

I remember coming across one of those stock exchange-y bars in Bordeaux even so I wouldn't be surprised if there's already one or two in Spain.

I personally like beer bars on the more quiet/well-lit side where I can chill with friends or just sit down with a book if I want. Honestly though if the beer list is good and the service is good I don't really care if it's a dive bar or super upscale. Focus on having a good relationship with Spanish microbrewers (maybe incorporate France and Italy too), a kickass tap/bottle list, some local cider/wine options, good snacks, and I'll definitely be there next time I'm in Spain!

HiResDes

If you want a Bells Stout with a lot going on you get the Expedition Stout, if you want one that's easy to drink and comforting you get the Double Cream Stout. It has about as much going on as Left Hand's Milk Stout, and though I love that beer on tap I don't buy it for its complexities.

Mitch

Banned
I need more Houstonians to go drinking with. We have such an amazing amount of great bars here. Local breweries are top notch as well, in my opinion.

Latest beer I bought:

From Southern Star Brewery up in Conroe.

codhand

i enjoyed that beer when i was visiting texas. nice canned stout

Expedition Stout is good stuff too, just dont try to age it.

EDIT
or maybe age the fuck out of it??

codhand

Wat? That is one of the best beers for aging. After 2-3 years it's amazing.

shit, it might be. the one i had saturday was a 2012, it was no bueno. i finished it, and i recall it being intriguing, but still poor. sometimes beers will do that typa shit tho, plus i dont know the conditions of this beer. temp location etc...

codhand

havent had that one, i like the Java, the Cherry Stout tastes artificial to me though

they have a great malt backing to all their beers, shit that at any other brewery would likely suck, is money in the bank at Bells
like the Midwestern Pale, and Amber Ale, normally i'd hear that and be like hell nah, but they're both really good.

EDIT
holy shit, someone on my untappd checked in 75 beers from some italian fest, that sets a new record by like 45 beers, lol guy must be annihilated, even with just sips...
skynidas, you ever heard of this beer fest?

fijim

Banned
shit, it might be. the one i had saturday was a 2012, it was no bueno. i finished it, and i recall it being intriguing, but still poor. sometimes beers will do that typa shit tho, plus i dont know the conditions of this beer. temp location etc...

I am guessing bad storage conditions or bad bottle. Usually that beer holds up quite well to aging, I have seen people do 6 year verticals on it and the oldest bottles are just starting to go with oxidation.

overcast

If you want a Bells Stout with a lot going on you get the Expedition Stout, if you want one that's easy to drink and comforting you get the Double Cream Stout. It has about as much going on as Left Hand's Milk Stout, and though I love that beer on tap I don't buy it for its complexities.
Okay, that makes a little more sense. I'll see what I end up grabbing this weekend. Probably going to hit up a Total Wine.

Yeah I tried the Expedition Stout last night and loved it. The bottle was fresh (February 2 of this year) and I can definitely see how it gets better with age but it was great fresh too. Really well balanced, not too harsh with the roast flavor, hid the alcohol really well. I definitely prefer it to Old Rasputin and Narwhal so it's nice to have it available in sixers now.

I had the Cherry Stout a couple years ago and didn't hate it, probably because I'm a sucker for sour cherries. Not sure I'll pick it up again though.

Top Bottom