• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

That's funny because I came home from spin class at 6 pm and my wife brought me a shower beer to enjoy as I took a long hot shower. It was a slow ride ipa. Shower beer needs to be in the can! Safety first people.

Switched over to an oyster stout brewed by the Wyoming Brewers Guild....nom nom.

OH SHIT!! Top of the page! I'm going to Belgium in June...any pro-tips from folks who have visited (or live in) that part of Europe? Please and thank you.

Where in Belgium?

Moeder Lambic and Cantillon in Brussels are absolute can't miss spots.

I haven't had Doris yet, but I'm a big fan of BORIS

Just finished the bomber of Doris. It got better as it went on. Really good flavor and not as syrupy as some other imperial stouts. Really glad I got the bottle now, but like I said before, I don't feel compelled to seek it out. Now, if it is available and there, I might grab more, but I won't jump through hoops for it.

Tomorrow night will either be Boris or Enjoy By.

Where in Belgium?

Moeder Lambic and Cantillon in Brussels are absolute can't miss spots.

We have places from Air BnB in Brussels and Bruges, but the country is so tiny that we feel like we can take day trips by bike or train anywhere (just about). Both of those breweries are on my list already. I've read that Luxemburg has a newly thriving beer scene, so we night hop over there for a day.

We have places from Air BnB in Brussels and Bruges, but the country is so tiny that we feel like we can take day trips by bike or train anywhere (just about). Both of those breweries are on my list already. I've read that Luxemburg has a newly thriving beer scene, so we night hop over there for a day.

Sounds like fun. Moeder Lambic is a bar though.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Well, if you're willing to travel a bit, you could visit De Struise Brouwers in Vleteren and Dochter v/d Korenaar in Baarle-Hertog. Both fun places to visit and fantastic beers can be had. If you're in Antwerp, I'd say avoid Kulminator and head for Gollem, Den Engel or 't Pater's Vaetje instead. Also, although the Ardenne region hosts some great Trappist breweries such as Chimay, you have to look harder then in Vlaanderen to find decent beer pubs. Then again, nature-wise the area is much nicer. Belgian supermarkets usually have pretty nice selections (especially the Carrefour megastores) and in Antwerp you could arrange with the owner of Belgiuminabox.com to pick up some of his wares - pretty sick collection and saves you (high) shipping costs. Of course this being an interesting option depends on how much stuff you are willing to drag back home ;)

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
that would be epic

Ronald, the brewer at DvdK, is the friendliest dude ever. Extremely enthousiastic about showing the brewery and talking about the process of trying to finesse his beers. I think you can visit if you have a minimum of 8 people together. Or just ask when groups are coming and if you can join. The Noblesse VSOP is almost reason alone to drop by :)

codhand

Ronald, the brewer at DvdK, is the friendliest dude ever. Extremely enthousiastic about showing the brewery and talking about the process of trying to finesse his beers. I think you can visit if you have a minimum of 8 people together. Or just ask when groups are coming and if you can join. The Noblesse VSOP is almost reason alone to drop by :)

that's really fuckin cool

what's up with this sudden Gose popularity? am i late to the party or are people suddenly wanting to drink this style of beer?

No it's been a pretty recent trend given that the style was more or less dead until a few years ago. I love the style and I'm glad it's popular and I get why. It's cheap to make, sounds exotic (salt AND coriander?? what will they think of next?) and especially with the addition of fruit flavors easy to market. I think Westbrook's Gose is the first mass-produced version that got people really hyped, followed by Anderson Valley. I know Boulevard and Victory are on the bandwagon too.

That said, I'd like to see berliner weisse get some more love as far as six-packs go. distantmantra, have you heard anything more about de Garde's plans to can Bu Weisse? I would name my firstborn Bu and my second Desay to get my hands on those.

what's up with this sudden Gose popularity? am i late to the party or are people suddenly wanting to drink this style of beer?
They're getting popular with drinkers because they're tasty and becoming more available.

For breweries, the fact that the bill of materials is really cheap and it's still somewhat exotic (sours are expensive, right?) means that breweries can charge a sizable premium and make really good margins.

codhand

Homebrew IPA with columbus, chinook, and simcoe

mad deec

imag1198wnupj.jpg

Mitch

Banned
That looks really good, damn. Trying to stay away from the beer for a while to lose some weight and this thread isn't helping lol
I know the feeling.

I'll limit myself to 3 or so beers a week. Can't do away with beer altogether!

PG2G

That looks really good, damn. Trying to stay away from the beer for a while to lose some weight and this thread isn't helping lol

Yea I've been on a steady uptick in weight since I got into beer. Recently purchased an exercise bike so the new routine is to bike for an hour daily and cut back on the weekday drinking.

We'll see how long it lasts lol

injurai

Banned
Yeah... winter doesn't help either. I still have a pretty high metabolism but It's slowing just this year. Need to do something about that.

Mitch

Banned
I just eat healthy and limit my alcohol intake. Although being sedentary really makes me feel like a flabby bum. Now I really want a drink.

skynidas

Banned
i started drinking "craft" beer when i was like 17, back then I drank everything i wanted and didn't gained weight. 5 years later...my metabolism is starting to slow down a little bit and i have gained a few kgs, but not too bad, guess i should enjoy while i'm still young.

Mitch

Banned
Didn't start drinking craft until mid 2012. I was a pretty big guy up until then, and all I ever drank before that was Blue Moon, Shiner and Rolling Rock. Plus all the crappy party beer.

Yeah, track my calories and try to keep on a regular run schedule. It's no big deal as long as you make room to fit it. But at 300+ calories, those 12% beers can be rough.

It's one of the reasons I've taken to brewing lower gravity beers for the most part. I can pour a pomegranate berliner or a English dark mild when I want it since it's a lot easier to work that 120 calories in.

I don't like beets. Too minerally and kinda remind me of blood.

Engine House No. 9 in Tacoma has a Rhubarb wild ale they do from time to time. Killer good.

Mitch

Banned
Going to do a Saint Arnold Pumpkinator ice cream float tonight. Bought some Pumpkin Patch slow churned ice-cream and figured they'd go well together.

Milchjon

2h and 2 burgers after my last beer, I still have a lingering taste of hops on my tongue.

Gonna sue the German brewer's association for depriving us of that experience for far too long.

overcast

I don't drink enough beer weekly to gain significant weight from it. It's a treat like once or twice a week.

When I party I'll have a lot while also drinking hard liquor. Mostly shitty beers at parties of course.

andylsun

I only drink at weekends for health reasons but stop drinking completely for lent. My body notices the difference in this six week period
Home brewing under 4% ABV is a great plan. Normally I end up with 5-6% (1.050 starting gravity) beers

Chris R

Going to go beer free for March to help with the weight loss, figure why not send out February by cracking into my other bottle of Deal with the Devil. So tasty and strong, I'll be sad to see it go :(

t-ramp

Found the Two Hearted Ale in the area. Chose it over the Oberon and some other 4% Bell's beer.
Oarsman, maybe? I like all three, but you made a good choice.

I'm drinking Stone's Smoked Porter with Vanilla Bean now - the flavors come together well, I like it.

Also picked up a Toppling Goliath Tsunami Pale Ale and that Cocoa Molé porter from New Belgium, which should be interesting.

overcast

I saw Two Hearted on tap today. I was way too full to have it, a bit disappointed really...
Beer off the tap is wonderful, so if it's a good beer it's probably a revelation off the tap.
Oarsman, maybe? I like all three, but you made a good choice.

I'm drinking Stone's Smoked Porter with Vanilla Bean now - the flavors come together well, I like it.
Yeah, Oarsman. There was another one I forgot already.

I love Stone's Smoked Porter, heard the Vanilla one is great. I've been meaning to try it. Any other Bell's I should keep an eye out for?

HiResDes

I've only ever had two Hearted on tap oddly enough. It's a year round mainstay at several bars because of popularity. One of the most sessionable seven percent beers I've had.

Top Bottom