• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

fijim

Banned
Drinking some 2014 Abraxas.... so good. Better than 2013 IMO.

PH0h4kf.jpg

(not my picture, too lazy to take one)

Had a group brew session with some of my homebrew buddies this weekend. Turns out one of the local distribution outfits has a Sabco BrewMagic just sitting in their warehouse and they let us come in and have a go on it.

That's a fancy bit of kit, to be sure.

fijim

Banned
I've had Abaraxas on tap twice this season, still hanging onto my bottle for when I've got enough people around to drink it.

Yeah, I decided I have too many bottles that I am saving for the right moment. Just going to start cracking some of them.

I use one of these so I can enjoy a bomber over a couple days. Does a great job and usually there is no noticeable difference in carbonation or taste after one day.

DK25ykI.png

Kjellson

Anyone here ever tried Brooklyn Hand & Seal? There is only one bottle left in my city and I'm thinking of getting it tomorrow. It's really expensive.

Milchjon

So uh... Has anyone else ever disliked someone based solely on their Untappd ratings?

Cause there's one guy (former customer) who's ratings are so consistently off IMO that I kinda want to defriend him.

I'm the Gaming Side of beers...

injurai

Banned
You're using it to cultivate a circle of people whom you put faith in their taste in beers. You're using the service to benefit yourself an others. Even if you knew him or where friends in real life I see no reason why you shouldn't stop following.

So uh... Has anyone else ever disliked someone based solely on their Untappd ratings?

Cause there's one guy (former customer) who's ratings are so consistently off IMO that I kinda want to defriend him.

There's this one guy I follow on Untappd who is weird. Really weird. Dude is at every beer event in the Seattle metro, and then is down in Portland regularly for pretty much everything (also flies to Santa Rosa for PtY release, Hunapahu Day in Florida, etc.). Never takes pictures, doesn't rate anything, just your hardcore stereotypical ticker type who check everything in. Sometimes he'll just check in tons of root beer. I've met him a few times, he rages if you don't share everything with him, and he is notorious for driving drunk.

Yet I won't unfriend him cause he's an amazing trainwreck to watch on Untappd.

He also must be from the St Louis area originally, cause his brother called him out on there for not coming to family dinner over Thanksgiving and instead sitting at a brewery.

codhand

Anyone here ever tried Brooklyn Hand & Seal? There is only one bottle left in my city and I'm thinking of getting it tomorrow. It's really expensive.

i have one i can pop soon and give impressions, ive heard it's good but not amazing.

i got the BK kriek too, so will probably do both in one night

Kjellson

i have one i can pop soon and give impressions, ive heard it's good but not amazing.

i got the BK kriek too, so will probably do both in one night
I actually already bought it but I'd still love to hear impressions as I probably won't drink it quite yet. It has 4.1 avg at Untappd which is really high.

Been sick for a few days but finally feeling OK again so I'm cracking into a Modern Times Protocosmos, which is their Galaxy-hopped IPA. I've actually never really had a galaxy hop-forward beer before, I think I had a pale ale that used it on cask in England but it was so mild I couldn't really get a handle on what the hop contributed.

Anyway, this is damn good. Not as good as Booming Rollers but I get why this hop is so hyped, really does seem to combine citra and mosaic. Modern Times has just been killing it and their release calendar for the year is just ridiculous. Plus their barrel-aged Monsters Park releases seem like they'll actually be carbonated this time so I might have to bite on the eventual online sales, you planning to PG2G?

PG2G

Been sick for a few days but finally feeling OK again so I'm cracking into a Modern Times Protocosmos, which is their Galaxy-hopped IPA. I've actually never really had a galaxy hop-forward beer before, I think I had a pale ale that used it on cask in England but it was so mild I couldn't really get a handle on what the hop contributed.

Anyway, this is damn good. Not as good as Booming Rollers but I get why this hop is so hyped, really does seem to combine citra and mosaic. Modern Times has just been killing it and their release calendar for the year is just ridiculous. Plus their barrel-aged Monsters Park releases seem like they'll actually be carbonated this time so I might have to bite on the eventual online sales, you planning to PG2G?

Yeah I'll be buying for sure. BA MP s very tasty, carb issues aside. Still need to dig into these sours some more.

Kjellson

Thought I'd like to share my current collection since it's pretty damn big.

nS0GkeX.jpg

From left to right:

Vielle Ville Saison - Birrificio Del Ducato
Oude Gueuze - Hanssens Artisanaal
D'uvaBeer - LoverBeer
Abraxxxas - Freigeist Bierkultur
Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Co.
Orval - Brasserie d'Orval
Baronen - Hantverksbryggeriet
Original Ritterguts Gose - Brauhaus Hartmannsdorf
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery
Glühkriek - Brouwerij Liefmans
Apple (Pomme) - Brouwerij Lindemans
Hand & Seal - Brooklyn Brewey
Osch Devon! - Jönköpings Bryggeri

The ones to the right is an awesome birthday present my brother gave me last week, a bottle with 12 beers from Danish brewery Midtfyns Bryghus. Six different beers, two of each kind.

Barley Wine
Wheat - Honey, Rasperry & Lime
Imperial Stout
Ale
Double IPA
Chili Tripel

If you want another good galaxy forward pale ale, look for 8bit from Tallgrass if you find yourself in the midwest at some point.

codhand

I wish! On my way to work now. Gonna be craving for one all day. :(

Thanks! About the Danish I actually have something dumb to admit. I kinda want to hold out on them until Untappd adds a Danish Brews badge. It's one if their suggested ones, lol.

they did.

edit i guess just dutch, not danish

i dont blame you, i'm ocd about those things too, they add badges, but don't give you retroactive credit...

Milchjon

Aren't people who rate most beers 2* and less on Untappd just regular alcoholics? Why keep drinking if everything's shit to you?

I love that the "lite" is still 8%. Is it legal to drink on trains? I'd ride the LA Metro a lot more if that was the case lol

Pretty good beer night tonight so far at a local happy hour. Had two pints of Hoppy Birthday (brewed by Green Flash I guess but still damn good), a sample of Tahoe Mountain Party Boy (a fantastic brett IPA) and a pour of Le Terroir.

Bacon

I love that the "lite" is still 8%. Is it legal to drink on trains? I'd ride the LA Metro a lot more if that was the case lol

Pretty good beer night tonight so far at a local happy hour. Had two pints of Hoppy Birthday (brewed by Green Flash I guess but still damn good), a sample of Tahoe Mountain Party Boy (a fantastic brett IPA) and a pour of Le Terroir.

On mta it's totally legal. You should see the inbound trains on St. Pattys day, it's a shitshow

Drpunch

Neo Member
Wow, randomly picked this up on a whim at the beer table in grand central on name recognition alone for my train ride home. It's phenomenal!

It's pretty good, I had the regular version single hop simcoe edition the other day which comes as a bomber. Pretty much put me on my ass. It was worth it though.

Kjellson

Why is it impossible to get Heady Topper outside of Vermont? Going to New York and the US for the first time in April and you would think that at least one store in the nation's largest city would have a can since everybody goes on about it. God damn it.

Why is it impossible to get Heady Topper outside of Vermont? Going to New York and the US for the first time in April and you would think that at least one store in the nation's largest city would have a can since everybody goes on about it. God damn it.
They can sell out their entire production in their home territory. They don't have any reason to go thinning the supply for the locals or dealing with multi-state distribution if they're happy with the size they're at. Not like they need the boost in reputation.

That said, there have been previous reports of some NYC bars sending people up to The Alchemist to buy cases and fill growlers for illegal secondary sales. Folks at the brewery weren't too happy to hear about that.

Not every beer is available everywhere. Distribution and such.

fijim

Banned

Because demand is so high, entering into a market like New York would be a huge issue. They would never be able to send more than a token amount which would mean it would be impossible to find unless you were personal friends with a shop owner. If they sent enough to actually have it available on the shelf, then the Vermont market and locals would get starved, many shops that get it now, would no longer get it. I am guessing they would rather focus on Vermont than make New York happy.

New Glarus is only found in Wisconsin. It used to be available in Chicago, but the demand was too high, they found that they were taking beer away from the local Wisconsin market to satisfy Chicago. So they deiced just to focus on Wisconsin and pull out of all other states. The positive thing here is that it is super easy to find New Glarus anywhere in Wisconsin.

Russian River used to distribute in WA but pulled out completely to focus on meeting demand at home in California. They've also stopped sending bottles to Oregon and are now draft only.

Jarnet87

Funny you should say that, was talking with a guy from New York and mentioned Heady Topper. He said there is a little cheese and wine store in the city that sells cans of Heady for $11 a pop. Didn't get a name unfortunately. Was checking out MIA Brewing in the Doral since it officially opened a few weeks ago. Gonna check out J. Wakefield Brewing in a couple weeks, they just opened as well.

Top Bottom