• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Kjellson

Funny you should say that, was talking with a guy from New York and mentioned Heady Topper. He said there is a little cheese and wine store in the city that sells cans of Heady for $11 a pop. Didn't get a name unfortunately. Was checking out MIA Brewing in the Doral since it officially opened a few weeks ago. Gonna check out J. Wakefield Brewing in a couple weeks, they just opened as well.
I guess that they won't have many of those left when I get there, but if you ever find out please do tell. I might have a quick look if I'm nearby.

Speaking of New York, can anybody suggest some great bars and stores in that city? It's absolutely huge and I feel like I'm totally lost while googling around a bit.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Friend tipped me off on this. Hope it's good!

4AMi3Bi.jpg

PG2G

I guess that they won't have many of those left when I get there, but if you ever find out please do tell. I might have a quick look if I'm nearby.

Speaking of New York, can anybody suggest some great bars and stores in that city? It's absolutely huge and I feel like I'm totally lost while googling around a bit.

Never been, but Torst is run by the Evil Twin dude and actually as a Michelin star.

http://m.yelp.com/biz/tørst-brooklyn

Will be a must stop for me.

Xun

I had my first Kölsch (Früh) tonight.

Beautiful stuff, although I'm a little baffled as to how some could even consider this an ale.

I understand it shares a lot with ales, but it's definitely more of a lager to me.

Milchjon

I had my first Kölsch (Früh) tonight.

Beautiful stuff, although I'm a little baffled as to how some could even consider this an ale.

I understand it shares a lot with ales, but it's definitely more of a lager to me.

Well, AFAIK Kölsch originated from attempts to approximate a lager.

Still, it's an ale.

Never had a Kölsch I liked. Still looking, as all these Colognians are always so sad when I tell them that I much prefer Alts :D

Milchjon

Ooooh. I am intrigued. Of course, the last raspberry beer I had was the Mikkeller one and I was not impressed. But Founders rarely steers me wrong.

I love Raspberry Imperial Stouts.
Framboises are really good too. Had a few more standard (Pale) Ales with Raspberries, but neither worked out to well. Samuel Smith fruit beers in particular were nearly undrinkable.

codhand

I know codhand wasn't impressed. I didn't really like Rubaeus much, so I'm not planning on picking up Blushing Monk. I actually don't know if they're supposed to be that similar or not, though.

i may have gotten a bit carried away ;)

but yeah, for me, Founder's big beers? pass.

KBS
Breakfast Stout

If you don't like Rubaeus, you will not like Blushing Monk.

I had my first Kolsh recently as well. It was underwhelming to say the least.

Mmm sounds like a good Kolsch

Kolsch (and Lager and Pilsner, etc.) is not a poor man's beer. When made well, they're fantastic. And I say this as someone who loves saison more than other styles.

PG2G

Thanks! Looks cool.

They "only" have 21 on tap and no bottles it seems like, while other places has loads of bottles. Luckily, I haven't had any of their current ones!

Hmmm not sure, I'd expect a place like that to have tons of bottles. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Kolsch (and Lager and Pilsner, etc.) is not a poor man's beer. When made well, they're fantastic. And I say this as someone who loves saison more than other styles.

Hell yeah. I love saisons but please realize the majority of kolsch/pils here in the States aren't even close the real deal. Not trying to sound like the idiots who are all like "GUINNESS IS SO MUCH BETTER IN DUBLIN FRESH FROM THE TAP OMG" but go to Cologne and hop/stumble from brewery to brewery and your life will change. No beer I've ever had as been as crisp, mineraly, refreshing, and quaffable as a proper kolsch. By far one of the best cities I've ever been to for beer and beer culture.

Also, Bubbavelli, Swami's is the real deal, along with their Ponto Session IPA. Just be sure to look at the bottom of the can to see when it's from, I've seen plenty of months-old cans floating around my area which is a shame because they're such fantastic deals when fresh.

fijim

Banned
I know codhand wasn't impressed. I didn't really like Rubaeus much, so I'm not planning on picking up Blushing Monk. I actually don't know if they're supposed to be that similar or not, though.

It's not really the same, this one uses a Belgian yeast strain, much more raspberry, and it's stronger. I don't think it tastes similar at all really.

I had the 2011 and it was amazing, way better than Rubaeus. Haven't had the 2015 yet.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
A supermarket close to me started carrying some Goose Island beers. I saw an IPA and a wheat beer (312 Urban). And some empty shelves so perhaps they have some other GI stuff too soon. Rather reasonably priced too (€2-€2,50 a bottle). Any particular beers from this brewery you guys recommend?

HiResDes

A supermarket close to me started carrying some Goose Island beers. I saw an IPA and a wheat beer (312 Urban). And some empty shelves so perhaps they have some other GI stuff too soon. Rather reasonably priced too (€2-€2,50 a bottle). Any particular beers from this brewery you guys recommend?
Bourbon County
Juliet
Matilda
Sofie
Big John
Pere Jacques

... Everything else is passable, but not all that special, their more traditional offerings are quite middling IMO.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Thanks guys! I forgot to check what the other shelve labels are going to hold, I saw Goose Island but don't know what else of the brewery they're gonna offer.

Bourbon County
Juliet
Matilda
Sofie
Big John
Pere Jacques

... Everything else is passable, but not all that special, their more traditional offerings are quite middling IMO.
I really like Juliet. Nice dry sour with that berry-like fruitiness you sometimes get from wine-barrel aging.

Bourbon County pretty much started the craze for bourbon barrel aging. It's still a pretty good yardstick for the style. Very bourbon-forward. Needs a couple of years on it for the best experience.

Big John is also very good. I've heard people say that it's the beer that they make Bourbon County from. If that's true, it's more complex and subtle without the bourbon. Also ages really well. I had a bottle from 2011 back in the fall and it was outstanding.

Milchjon

I really like Juliet. Nice dry sour with that berry-like fruitiness you sometimes get from wine-barrel aging.

Bourbon County pretty much started the craze for bourbon barrel aging. It's still a pretty good yardstick for the style. Very bourbon-forward. Needs a couple of years on it for the best experience.

Big John is also very good. I've heard people say that it's the beer that they make Bourbon County from. If that's true, it's more complex and subtle without the bourbon. Also ages really well. I had a bottle from 2011 back in the fall and it was outstanding.

Pretty sure I read that the base beer for Bourbon County was specifically devised for the aging and was never released on it's own as it wouldn't be a great beer on its own.

fijim

Banned
Pretty sure I read that the base beer for Bourbon County was specifically devised for the aging and was never released on it's own as it wouldn't be a great beer on its own.

That's correct. They call it Cook County Stout, however Big John is made from that same base beer. They just add cocoa nibs to Cook County Stout and then you have Big John. Night Stalker is another beer made from the same base beer, but dry hopped.

So while you can't taste the actual base beer used in Bourbon County, you can get pretty close with Nigh Stalker and Big John.

Fremont had a big dinner party a while back where they let people try the base beer for Bourbon Abominable (Bbomb). I wasn't able to go but a friend said it was really sweet and definitely needed time in a barrel.

HiResDes

I had an aged Big John and I must I found it to be an overall better balanced beer than BCBS. If they still made I might not ever buy regular BCBS again. Perfect description of Juliet and Big John btw.

Lunar15

Going up to Chicago this weekend from Florida.

Any recommendations on local beers or beers I wouldn't be able to get down here?

Top Bottom