• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Chris R

Big words.

I wouldn't say it if I didn't think it was true. Shit was legit.

I'll have to see if I can't find a bottle of it, or if it's just on tap.

edit: Looks like it might still be around in bottles. It reviews poorer than the Stone but I think that's just a distribution issue. The spice I got from it was so nice where I was searching for the spice in the Stone bottle.

injurai

Banned
I had this on draft before, it's a little too cloying for me, but certainly quite tasty

You and you're english major. I had to look this one up. I really haven't many beers that I found to be too sweet, more often it's that I'm in the mood for something else. I'll probably end up getting it on my next run.

Man, the variety of cheap American lager my buddy has in his beer fridge is kind of absurd. I was helping out with a project this evening and managed to work my way through a Kirkland's Light Beer, a Big Flats Light, a Natural Light, and a Milwaukee's Best Ice. The Kirkland isn't actually that bad considering they're 48 cans for $20. The Milwaukee's Best Ice was pretty awful, though. A weird harsh graininess with an unsettling fart-like smell. Couldn't quite finish it.

So I saw a New Belgium Salted Belgian Chocolate Stout in the store today. Was thinking of picking it up. Any thoughts?
You know, I'll typically drink anything Perennial has a hand in sight unseen. That said, I did not care for that particular beer all that much. It was kinda weird and pretzel-y.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Bourbon County
Juliet
Matilda
Sofie
Big John
Pere Jacques

... Everything else is passable, but not all that special, their more traditional offerings are quite middling IMO.
All great suggestions, but I doubt his supermarket will have any of those.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
16181022923_cc5a9842dd.jpg

Time to compare last year with this year!

Milchjon

Is that Equinox? Weird hops, there really is a note of green bell peppers to it. Had two beers with it, not a huge fan (yet).

2013 was better than 2014, IIRC. Fun beers either way.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Equinox indeed. Can't say I ever had a beer with those hops. '13 was better then '14 IMO, not to say '14 was weak though, I like it a lot. I'll get back to how the '15 holds up!

fijim

Banned
Going up to Chicago this weekend from Florida.

Any recommendations on local beers or beers I wouldn't be able to get down here?

In general look for beers from Thee Floyds, Pipeworks, Spiteful, Half-Acre, Revolution, Penrose, Off Color,

Those are all great breweries nearby.

Specific beers you might be able to find:

Surly Abrasive, Furious, Doomtree
Spiteful IPA, Messenger IPA
Pipeworks Ninja Vs Unicorn
Half-Acre Senita, Diasy Cutter,
Revolution Anti-Hero, Straight Jacket, Bean Gene, Very Mad Cow
Founders Blushing Monk

For good liquor stores check out The Beer Temple, West Lakeview Liquors, Binny's (any location, but the Lincoln Park location is best).

That Not your Father's Root Beer should not be too hard to find, however you should know it really is just a malt liquor that tastes exactly like Root Beer. If that sounds good to you, pick it up, but IMO it is a novelty item that I equate with drinks like Smirnoff Ice. It really does taste just like Root Beer though.

If you want Bar/Brewery recommendations, or liquor store recommendations for a specific part of Chicago or suburbs, let me know and I can help you out.

Going up to Chicago this weekend from Florida.

Any recommendations on local beers or beers I wouldn't be able to get down here?

Go to the Binny's in Lincoln Park (they have a tasting room so you can drink and shop at the same time).
http://www.binnys.com/page/Binnys-Taplist#lptl

You can walk across the street to Goose Clybourn and enjoy what they have on tap too.
http://www.gooseislandbrewpubs.com/clybourn-beers/

Go to Paddy Long's for the bacon board and Bomb sandwich (seriously, it's worth it) and some more good beers on tap. http://www.paddylongs.com/paddy-longs-food/menu/

Another beer recommendation is Perennial. Hit the Half Acre and Revolution tap rooms. They're not too far apart.

Kjellson

bread with a mornay sauce

2_NY_Torst.jpg
Looks cool. Thanks for the tip!

Another NY question, anyone have any good beer stores with bottles I can bring home after the trip? I live in a country with only one store chain that are allowed to sell alcohol, so I'm a noob to alcohol in regular stores, lol.

HiResDes

Which Chicago pizza joint do y'all ride for?

Pequods, Lou's, Art of Pizza, Giordano, Gino East, or some other unknown hidden treasure?

terrible

Banned
16181022923_cc5a9842dd.jpg

Time to compare last year with this year!

I kind of wish I kept some 2014 but it wouldn't really be fair anyway, the freshness factor alone would kind of skew it. I was a bit underwhelmed with the 2014 anyway if I'm honest. I love Belgian IPAs but it was only ok to me after having it a few times. I'm hoping the new one is better, we should be getting it soon here.

Pequods, Lou's, Art of Pizza, Giordano, Gino East, or some other unknown hidden treasure?

My wife grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, and she swears by Gino's East. It may be the years of eating there as a kid and nostalgia fueling it, but she still swears by it. I went there once many years ago when visiting her parents, and it was pretty damn good. I can't vouch for the others because i haven't tried them.

On a beer related note, I got a bottle of Barrel Aged Bigfoot (Sierra Nevada Barleywine aged in whiskey barrels) tonight. Expensive as hell ($19 a bottle), but damn was this thing brutal. Another of those that I am really, really glad that I had it, but don't feel compelled to ever seek it out again.

injurai

Banned
This Chillwave Double IPA is great. Either I'm starting to find better IPAs or finally getting passed the taste of hops. Either way I'm really enjoying it.

Calderc

*Butts in from Scotland*

S'up guys? You're all making me incredibly jealous. The UK has no doubt stepped it's game up lately but I'm still looking at some of this stuff longingly.

Guess my pickup if some Thornbridge Jaipur X last night will have to do!

Link

The Autumn Wind
Went down to the Ommegang brewery for the release of their new Game of Thrones beer, I'm a huge GoT fan too so picked up some goodies:
I was pretty disappointed with Iron Throne, Take the Black Stout, and Fire and Blood, especially compared to the rest of Ommegang's output, but I loved Valar Morghulis, and a dark saison sounds super intriguing, so I'll definitely be picking this up when it's out.

injurai

Banned
They've all been "safe beers" appealing to a more general market. Just like the Hobbit beers.

Not a bad thing. I'm sure their seasonals and year rounds have a lot more "research" put into perfecting their brew as well.

Love Ommegang, and I love dark beers and Saisons. So hopefully this recent one delivers.

lmao, poor guy just wanted to combine his two favorite things

Saw someone asking for beer recommendations for Chicago so I have to throw out Local Option, as a brewery you can spot the odd beer all over the city, but they've also got their own pub (bout a 10 minute walk from the zoo) which has a ton of great beers and pretty awesome food as well.

I was pretty disappointed with Iron Throne, Take the Black Stout, and Fire and Blood, especially compared to the rest of Ommegang's output, but I loved Valar Morghulis, and a dark saison sounds super intriguing, so I'll definitely be picking this up when it's out.
I never tried Black Stout, but agree that Valar Morghulis was the best of the series.

Chris R

Think $32 is about inline with the price in Alaska

I paid $30 per bottle for my pair. The price did drop a bit before it went away...

Well maybe not all the way away, the Anchorage Brewing Company is finally opening their tap room next Saturday :D

And the beer is very good, just don't know if I enjoyed it $30 worth. Really complex flavors.

fijim

Banned

Pequods is great, many locals say it is the best because it is unique with the burnt charred crust.

I really like Lou's personally, I think they would be my first choice.

Giordano's has a thicker breadier crust. Lou's has a more buttery crust that is more crispy on the bottom. I like them both but give the nod to Lou's

Gino's is great. Another one I like is Guillivers, but that is way on the north end of Chicago.

I enjoy Connie's as well, many people write it off as touristy and low quality (and they do have chain locations that may qualify as such) but the original Chinatown location is great and I still like it.

This TenFidy is good. Who ever recommend it, thank you.
You are welcome. Many others recommended it as well. I don't think anyone has spoken ill of it except for the price. But it is worth the high price.

Having a good night tonight. Had some sake at dinner, then once home had a Plead the 5th Stout and ending with Chillwave double IPA.

t-ramp

Picked up a Jolly Pumpkin Biere de Mars yesterday. Bottled 2/28 of last year... looking forward to trying it. Also grabbed the regular version of Stone's Old Guardian. Has anyone here tried both the regular and extra hoppy variety of this year's release?

injurai

Banned
You are welcome. Many others recommended it as well. I don't think anyone has spoken ill of it except for the price. But it is worth the high price.

Having a good night tonight. Had some sake at dinner, then once home had a Plead the 5th Stout and ending with Chillwave double IPA.

Yeah man, Chillwave is good. That and TenFidy has been the best overall pickups I've had in a while. Great way to start spring break. Tastebuds are alive.

Yeah man, Chillwave is good. That and TenFidy has been the best overall pickups I've had in a while. Great way to start spring break. Tastebuds are alive.
It's been a year or more since I had some Ten Fidy. Anytime I go in determined to get some, there is always some new limited release to tempt me instead.

overcast

My friend and I were gonna go half/half on the Ten Fidy next time he comes to town. So within 2 weeks. Really curious on it.

Almost got the Oberon tonight, but went with Old Rasputin.

Top Bottom