• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Would you recommend it? I need to figure out where I can get my hands on one.

It is definitely worth seeking out. Left Hand has a really good one. It tastes like a slightly thicker and sweeter Guinness to me. The other nice thing about the milk stouts I have tried is the ABV is usually around 5-6%, so it is a good dinner beer if you are out and don't want to get too drunk.

catabarez

It is definitely worth seeking out. Left Hand has a really good one. It tastes like a slightly thicker and sweeter Guinness to me. The other nice thing about the milk stouts I have tried is the ABV is usually around 5-6%, so it is a good dinner beer if you are out and don't want to get too drunk.

Is Left Hand regional or would I be able to find it easily?

fijim

Banned
Does not compute.

Maybe he meant thinner and sweeter than a Russian Imperial Stout. Milk Stouts have lactose added, which gives it that smooth"milky" character, and helps hide the roasted character in a typical stout. Often they are sweeter as well, but not always. I think the main thing is that it covers some of the roast, which makes it a good gateway stout. As a strong roasty stout can be off putting to a new beer drinker.

Craft beer people can be the biggest sticks in the mud when it comes to green beer on St. Patty's Day. Don't worry, a little green food coloring in your precious IPA is not going to cause the sky open up and rain kegs of Bud Light to wash away the entire industry. You can have fun, and drink good beer, like every other day of the year.

Sorry, local stores and homebrewers have been big on their NO GREEN BEER thing for a few days now.

codhand

hell i love Green beer

88969.jpg

Craft beer people can be the biggest sticks in the mud when it comes to green beer on St. Patty's Day. Don't worry, a little green food coloring in your precious IPA is not going to cause the sky open up and rain kegs of Bud Light to wash away the entire industry. You can have fun, and drink good beer, like every other day of the year.

Sorry, local stores and homebrewers have been big on their NO GREEN BEER thing for a few days now.

We get Mexican food every year on St. Patrick's Day (and Irish on Cinco de Mayo). I'll be having something yellow fizzy and adjuncted. Oh yeah.

Milchjon

How much are Firestone Walker Double Jack and Brooklyn Sorachi Ace (big bottles) in the US?

I assume they aren't totally cheap either, but the prices over here (12€/20€) still seem a bit steep...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Maybe he meant thinner and sweeter than a Russian Imperial Stout. Milk Stouts have lactose added, which gives it that smooth"milky" character, and helps hide the roasted character in a typical stout. Often they are sweeter as well, but not always. I think the main thing is that it covers some of the roast, which makes it a good gateway stout. As a strong roasty stout can be off putting to a new beer drinker.

The largest impact on "thickness" or "thinness" is left over sugars.

Others have some small impact, namely proteins like glucans, alcohol to a small extent, certain oils, but those play a smaller role.

So the sweeter a beer, the thicker the mouth feel.

Now obviously some sugars are sweeter than others. Lactose and the polysaccharides typically left over after a complete fermentation are on the low end of the sweetness scale. Short chain sugars tend to be more sweet, but also much more likely to be consumed during fermentation.

Anyway, I just think it is incorrect to say that a milk stout is thinner than normal stouts. They are typically thicker than normal stouts. A bit sweeter as well, for the reasons you stated.

HiResDes

Milk Stouts seem to be thicker than regular stouts, but not Imperial Stouts. They're almost porter like in comparison, especially Left Hand's, though the Nitro version does beefen up the mouthfeel quite a bit. But it tastes less complex in some manner as well.

Popped out to the bar for a glass before the crowds got too rowdy. Had a Moylen's Hop Craic XXXXIPA. Kind of an obnoxious name, but a rather credible sip. Nice and dry. Sharply bitter, but with a nice grapefruity juiciness that kept it balanced. I recommend it.

Also stopped by the liquor store on the way home. Got a new La Folie, the Barrel-Aged Bigfoot, and some Great Lakes Chillwave.

Kind of a pricey night, but whatcha gonna do?

ShinAmano

Picked up:
Surly Abrasive
Surly Pentagram
Anchorage A Deal With the Devil
Dark Horse BA Plead the 5th
18th St Coconut Hunter

A good day :)

Having the 2013 Ten Fidy now. Damn, it has been too long since I had this stout. It is probably for the best that I don't get it often, because I would get spoiled. Gonna have to get some 2014 cans and compare.

The place I found this still has a ton of four packs of the Jan 2014 release of Narwhal sitting around. Might grab some of those too.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
So, Spanish-Danish collaboration (Naparbier and To Øl) Persimmon-infused Saison with shitload of Japanese text (no idea what it says) - this beer has cosmopolitan written all over it :)

16235322943_8a23585691.jpg

skynidas

Banned
So, Spanish-Danish collaboration (Naparbier and To Øl) Persimmon-infused Saison with shitload of Japanese text (no idea what it says) - this beer has cosmopolitan written all over it :)

16235322943_8a23585691_z.jpg

I tried that one. It was decent. I am not a fan of most Naparbier beers but this one was good, probably thanks to To Øl.

Jarnet87

Having the 2013 Ten Fidy now. Damn, it has been too long since I had this stout. It is probably for the best that I don't get it often, because I would get spoiled. Gonna have to get some 2014 cans and compare.

The place I found this still has a ton of four packs of the Jan 2014 release of Narwhal sitting around. Might grab some of those too.

Had a couple people tell me that the 2014 version is better. Didn't bother picking up any, I've got some left over from 2013 and I don't drink stouts very often.

I prefer Oatmeal Stouts if I'm picking one type of stout, I like the smoothness and mouth feel the oats add, but I like to try all kinds.

skynidas

Banned
Skynidas,

What Spanish breweries should I be on the lookout for while over there?

hmmmm, to be honest there's not much. Naparbier, some people like it and it's the most popular one, but i'm not a fan. There's some other stuff that is interesting but nothing that I would recommend. The good thing is that in the bars and stores here, especially in Barcelona you can find a lot of good European stuff, a lot of belgians, mikkeller, to ol, amager is pretty good, and look out for some things from Italy, they come out with some pretty good stuff from time to time. UK breweries also have interesting things, beavertown, magic rock, the kernel is great with their IPAs.

But yeah, sadly i can't tell you something special from Spain, we are still in the early stages here with "craft beer", maybe try some randoms and see if you like them? But don't expect much. If you like wine there's some fabolous stuff here, like, really really good, and some other liquors that are great, and the food...you will have a great time with that.

hmmmm, to be honest there's not much. Naparbier, some people like it and it's the most popular one, but i'm not a fan. There's some other stuff that is interesting but nothing that I would recommend. The good thing is that in the bars and stores here, especially in Barcelona you can find a lot of good European stuff, a lot of belgians, mikkeller, to ol, amager is pretty good, and look out for some things from Italy, they come out with some pretty good stuff from time to time. UK breweries also have interesting things, beavertown, magic rock, the kernel is great with their IPAs.

But yeah, sadly i can't tell you something special from Spain, we are still in the early stages here with "craft beer", maybe try some randoms and see if you like them? But don't expect much. If you like wine there's some fabolous stuff here, like, really really good, and some other liquors that are great, and the food...you will have a great time with that.

I'm not looking for anything special, really. Just local craft breweries trying to make a go of it. I'm not a wine guy, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. My wife will be so happy, though.

The guys at de Garde have told me to visit Edge Brewing in Barcelona, and I've found some places in Malaga, Toledo and Granada. Just wondering if there is anything I've missed.

The only true craft beer wasteland that I'll be visiting in Spain is La Manga del Mar Menor (cousin's wedding). Good thing we're renting a car so I can stock up in Malaga and enjoy some good beer on the beach.

la_manga_-_location_photo_1.jpg

Tempted to see if Deal With the Devil is still left at my local store. I really want to try it, but $32 a bottle is just insane. I could get a ton of other beers for that price.

Tempted to see if Deal With the Devil is still left at my local store. I really want to try it, but $32 a bottle is just insane. I could get a ton of other beers for that price.

It's also really boozy and flat out dumb to drink on your own. Use that $32 on something else unless you've got some people to share it with.

It's also really boozy and flat out dumb to drink on your own. Use that $32 on something else unless you've got some people to share it with.

I have some bottle stoppers so I can save the rest for another night. The clerk at the store did talk about getting together to share a bottle, so might do that. But still, even half the price is still money that could go to other beers.

Chris R

It is boozy, but it hides it oh so well.

I wouldn't call it dumb to solo, twas rather fun, made for a great Saturday.

I did open the other bottle at a party though and people got around 5oz each.

edit: make sure it's at the right temperature when you drink it, should be ~55F (and in a snifter if you have one)

skynidas

Banned
I'm not looking for anything special, really. Just local craft breweries trying to make a go of it. I'm not a wine guy, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. My wife will be so happy, though.

The guys at de Garde have told me to visit Edge Brewing in Barcelona, and I've found some places in Malaga, Toledo and Granada. Just wondering if there is anything I've missed.

The only true craft beer wasteland that I'll be visiting in Spain is La Manga del Mar Menor (cousin's wedding). Good thing we're renting a car so I can stock up in Malaga and enjoy some good beer on the beach.

I've been to La Manga, that place is sooooo beautiful but yeah, the town that is nearby is really small and has nothing craft beer related. I stayed at La Manga Club and it was awesome, very relaxing.

And yes, good thinking about stocking up at Malaga, go to Central Beers, Arte & Sana and Hop Scotch, those are good places to go there.

And regarding the beers, maybe try Dougalls, La Quince Brewery, Zuloogarden and Bidassoa Basque Brewery.

Edge Brewing is good! I think an American is the guy running the brewery.

I've been to La Manga, that place is sooooo beautiful but yeah, the town that is nearby is really small and has nothing craft beer related. I stayed at La Manga Club and it was awesome, very relaxing.

And yes, good thinking about stocking up at Malaga, go to Central Beers, Arte & Sana and Hop Scotch, those are good places to go there.

My cousin's wife is from Malaga (sounds like there is a new craft brewery called Malaqa there), so we'll be stopping there for a couple days before heading out to the wedding reception site somewhere in La Manga. Then flying from Malaga to Brussels for two days.

And regarding the beers, maybe try Dougalls, La Quince Brewery, Zuloogarden and Bidassoa Basque Brewery.

Edge Brewing is good! I think an American is the guy running the brewery.

Yep, Edge is American-run.

Fremont has a cask of their Berlinerweisse with berries on right now. I had an Allagash sour on cask last year at Elysian and then cask lambic at Cantillon, but I don't think I've ever had a cask Berliner before. Huh.

skynidas

Banned
My cousin's wife is from Malaga (sounds like there is a new craft brewery called Malaqa there), so we'll be stopping there for a couple days before heading out to the wedding reception site somewhere in La Manga. Then flying from Malaga to Brussels for two days.

Yep, Edge is American-run.

nice! i'm sure you will have a great time. oh and btw, you probably know this already, but you are coming to Europe at the perfect moment, the Euro plummeted recently and apparently is going to keep going down, so your US Dollars are worth much more than like a year ago.

nice! i'm sure you will have a great time. oh and btw, you probably know this already, but you are coming to Europe at the perfect moment, the Euro plummeted recently and apparently is going to keep going down, so your US Dollars are worth much more than like a year ago.

Oh yeah, we're aware. Last time we were in Europe (Netherlands/Belgium) was in 2011, and the exchange rate wasn't nearly this good.

I was weak and got the Deal With the Devil. It better be good.

They also got in the Old Guardian Extra Hoppy variant. I will have to snag that next week.

Bacon

Having a pretty great ipa night. Loving this nice weather.

Went with bells 2 hearted, Firestone Union Jack and ballast point sculpin.

All were different enough from each other but still fantastic.

injurai

Banned
Do bottle stops work well with keeping a beer for a few days? I've never tried it. But there are a few large bottles I would get if only I could drink it over a two day period.

Do bottle stops work well with keeping a beer for a few days? I've never tried it. But there are a few large bottles I would get if only I could drink it over a two day period.

I am about to find out. They seem to work fine with the wine in my home, and a coworker at my old job used them all the time. But I just put the stopper in my Deal With the Devil bottle. Now to start drinking.

EDIT: Took my first sips. Damn. This is really smooth, and a lot sweeter than I anticipated. The alcohol is very well hidden.

Top Bottom