• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

DiZDlSwl.jpg

Holy Mountain's first bottled release is the Pine Box anniversary beer. Great on tap, apparently it's slightly different in the bottle.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How do you like beer?
I can't even stand the smell, and it tastes bad.
Unless I'm drunk.

Serious answer...You just need to try more beers. It's easy to write it off when all you have tried is your standard college options. Once you've had great beer, you can stomach Bud Lite, Miller, etc at parties. You start to develop a palette, but it takes time.

The first beer I had that I liked was Magic Hat #9. From there, I just started buying single bottles of random shit to experiment. Find a local friend to explore with. :)

Serious answer...You just need to try more beers. It's easy to write it off when all you have tried is your standard college options. Once you've had great beer, you can stomach Bud Lite, Miller, etc at parties. You start to develop a palette, but it takes time.

The first beer I had that I liked was Magic Hat #9. From there, I just started buying single bottles of random shit to experiment. Find a local friend to explore with. :)

Where I'm from only two brands are on the top market so to say are they are both bad.
Sometimes I also see Heineken on local bar but people tell me it's worse the other so I never tried it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Where I'm from only two brands are on the top market so to say are they are both bad.
Sometimes I also see Heineken on local bar but people tell me it's worse the other so I never tried it.

Oh...I missed that you're from out of the USA. That makes it substantially harder. If it were possible, I'd gladly send you more delicious options!

injurai

Banned
I need that limited Madtree!

It's unique... you can really taste the blackberry. It's a bit acidic as result, but lacks the bitterness of an IPA. It's not particularly sweet either, thought the initial taste is almost like an unsweetened sparkling blackberry drink. The blackberry fades to reveal the base stout, which is dry. This is where a tinge of the bitter comes out. It "sweetens" up just slightly as you get used to it with all the flavors at play popping a bit more.

It's a bad beer to chug, it's one of the best beers I've had to play with on my tongue. Would recommend, it's a great specialty brew. There is a reason why these types of beers aren't mainstays though. It requires some contemplation while drinking.

Tarkus

I've been drinking Sierra Nevada Torpedo "extra IPA" for a few years now and I really think it's the greatest widely available beer of all time. 7.2 abv and nice piney Magnum hops smack you in the face throughout. It's very sessionalable and even chuggable. 10/10.

Bacon

I've been drinking Sierra Nevada Torpedo "extra IPA" for a few years now and I really think it's the greatest widely available beer of all time. 7.2 abv and nice piney Magnum hops smacks you in the face throughout. It's very sessionalable and even chuggable. 10/10.

No arguments here. One of the few beers I always go back to in a pinch whenever I don't know what to buy.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I've been drinking Sierra Nevada Torpedo "extra IPA" for a few years now and I really think it's the greatest widely available beer of all time. 7.2 abv and nice piney Magnum hops smack you in the face throughout. It's very sessionalable and even chuggable. 10/10.
This is one of those beers I struggled to get through a few years back that I have no problem drinking now. I guess I leveled up or something.

Tarkus

This is one of those beers I struggled to get through a few years back that I have no problem drinking now. I guess I leveled up or something.
You've joined the elite IPA palates.

They've changed the label of bit and opened a new brewery in Mills River, NC. Don't get huge and lose what made you great in the first place SN.
"You've got a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you."

Hi beer GAF, any opinions on best lite beer? I'm exercising and counting calories but I don't want to give up beer entirely.

Low ABV beers will generally also be lower calorie. I had the best luck just counting all 12 oz beers as 200 cal (~120 cal at 4% - ~240 cal at 8%) and limit your intake. You don't have to cut it out completely, because sometimes you need that 8% IIPA. Just my experience, but its much easier just to just nurse a single beer that you really want compared to being able to have two 12 oz pours of Guinness. Not really worth worrying about ~50 cal difference between a "normal" beer and those that call themselves "light."

fijim

Banned
Hi beer GAF, any opinions on best lite beer? I'm exercising and counting calories but I don't want to give up beer entirely.

Bell's Oarsman - 131 calories
Founders Session IPA - 147 calories
Abita Purple Haze - 128 calories
Stone Go To IPA - 135 calories
Firestone Walker Easy Jack - 135 calories
Lagunitas Day Time - 140 calories
Guinness - 125 calories

Generally, anything under 4% should keep you in the 130 calories or less range.

Berliner Weissbiers in general should be low in ABV and calories: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/87/

If you want something around 110 calories or less, that will be tough with craft beer. Some Berliner Weiss' may qualify. My calorie counting friend drinks Michelob Ultra for a healthy beer (95 calories).

Bell's Oarsman - 131 calories
Founders Session IPA - 147 calories
Abita Purple Haze - 128 calories
Stone Go To IPA - 135 calories
Firestone Walker Easy Jack - 135 calories
Lagunitas Day Time - 140 calories
Guinness - 125 calories

Generally, anything under 4% should keep you in the 130 calories or less range.

Berliner Weissbiers in general should be low in ABV and calories: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/87/

If you want something around 110 calories or less, that will be tough with craft beer. Some Berliner Weiss' may qualify. My calorie counting friend drinks Michelob Ultra for a healthy beer (95 calories).
Cool, thanks. I'll see what my local liquor store carries.

Jarnet87

Next month I'll be in Asheville, NC for a day. The plan is to hit up a bunch of the breweries as they are close by. Heard Wicked Weed and Green Man are two of the better ones in the city. Want to definitely hit those two, maybe one or two more and then two bottle shops Bruisin Ales and App Vintners. Don't have my own rental car otherwise I'd probably spend the next day checking out some South Carolina Breweries.

overcast

Yeah, those are good. Actually just had one a few days back, have a few waiting though. Need to try another to get a feel for it.

Got Stone's "Enjoy By 4.20" and it was great.

fijim

Banned
Seattle got a Cantillon drop of Geueze and Lou Pepe Kriek yesterday. First one in a long time.

Chicago got a shipment of Geueze, LPK, LPF, LPG, and Mamouche. Sadly it somehow all sold out before I even realized stores had received it.

I didn't hear of one store announcing that they had it, yet it still sold out in one day. I guess people must have known it was coming and were ready to scoop it up.

Top Bottom