• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Chicago got a shipment of Geueze, LPK, LPF, LPG, and Mamouche. Sadly it somehow all sold out before I even realized stores had received it.

I didn't hear of one store announcing that they had it, yet it still sold out in one day. I guess people must have known it was coming and were ready to scoop it up.

The place that got LPK is a bar and most people think the bottles are in-house only, so they're still available. The one shop that got the 375s of Geuze sold out late last night.

I've got a couple Loons (Kriek, LPF, Iris) in the garage, and I'm going to Brussels this summer, so I didn't buy any at either place.

fijim

Banned
The place that got LPK is a bar and most people think the bottles are in-house only, so they're still available. The one shop that got the 375s of Geuze sold out late last night.

I've got a couple Loons (Kriek, LPF, Iris) in the garage, and I'm going to Brussels this summer, so I didn't buy any at either place.

Yeah, the distributor seemed to focus on bars and restaurant this time. To prevent hoarders from buying it up. I saw some pics of people finishing 3 Lou Pepe bottles in one sitting at a bar, that seems crazy to me but I understand why they do it.

Gueuze or Geuze bros

I think both are correct

Yeah, the distributor seemed to focus on bars and restaurant this time. To prevent hoarders from buying it up. I saw some pics of people finishing 3 Lou Pepe bottles in one sitting at a bar, that seems crazy to me but I understand why they do it.

People need to get a life.

I think both are correct

Yep.

Wiki said:
There is some debate on where the word Gueuze originated. One theory is that it originated from Geysa (geyser), old Norse for gush, as, during times of vigorous fermentation, Gueuze will spew out of the bunghole of its enclosing oak barrel. Another theory is that it originates from gueuze, the old Norman word for wheat (which makes up a portion of the lambic grist).

The most likely theory says that the name stems from the 'Geuzenstraat' (Geuzen Street) in Brussels where a Lambic brewery was established. The story[citation needed] is that when the French under Napoleon occupied Belgium and thus Brussels, a lot of Champagne was drunk in Brussels. Champagne was something rather new in Brussels in those days and had become a real hype. This beverage came in strong glass bottles (most beer at the time was supplied in barrels). One brewer, situated in the Geuzenstraat, had the idea to collect the empty Champagne bottles and to refill them with what was called lambic beer. He added a bit of sugar for a second fermentation and re-sealed the bottles with a cork which was similar to the Champagne cork. By doing so, he hoped to benefit a bit from the Champagne hype. The new beer was a success and soon obtained the name "from the Geuzenstraat" or gueuze. The bigger gueuze bottles are still very similar to Champagne bottles today.

Lunar15

I live in South Florida, and there's a new brewery opening up down here this weekend called Barrel of Monks. They're specializing in Belgians, so that's pretty exciting. I personally love belgians and most craft brew places down here do IPA's, ports, and stouts. It's a big deal for the craft brew scene down here since it's the former brewmaster from both Funky Buddha and Due South.

If anyone's in the Boca Raton/Delray area, I recommend checking it out on Saturday.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So is anyone up for a beer trade?

My friend and I have amassed a bunch of Zombie Dust, Gumball Head, Sunking, Upland Sours, and (soon) Not Your Father's Root Beer. Of course, there's a bunch of other stuff thrown in there...But we're trying to get some stuff from the East and West Coasts.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window

My friend and I have amassed a bunch of Zombie Dust, Gumball Head, Sunking, Upland Sours, and (soon) Not Your Father's Root Beer. Of course, there's a bunch of other stuff thrown in there...But we're trying to get some stuff from the East and West Coasts.

I'd be interested, mostly in the non 3 floyds stuff since ill be at Dark Lord Day next month. ill get my cellar list updated tonight and see if I have anything that interests you

fijim

Banned
I'd be interested, mostly in the non 3 floyds stuff since ill be at Dark Lord Day next month. ill get my cellar list updated tonight and see if I have anything that interests you

Just FYI, due to restrictions put in place by the Indiana Excise Police, with the event permit Three Floyds has, they will not be able to sell any packaged beer other than Dark Lord on Dark Lord Day. You will either have to go to nearby liquor stores or go on Sunday to get packaged beer from Three Floyds.

This is the first time this has happened as you have always been able to buy cases of Zombie Dust and many other beers on DLD. Three Floyds plans to organize with local liquor stores to make a good amount of their beer available around DLD.

sefskillz

Just FYI, due to restrictions put in place by the Indiana Excise Police, with the event permit Three Floyds has, they will not be able to sell any packaged beer other than Dark Lord on Dark Lord Day. You will either have to go to nearby liquor stores or go on Sunday to get packaged beer from Three Floyds.

This is the first time this has happened as you have always been able to buy cases of Zombie Dust and many other beers on DLD. Three Floyds plans to organize with local liquor stores to make a good amount of their beer available around DLD.

wow, thanks for the tip. snagged a case of zombie dust last year, would've been very disappointed not knowing this going in. thanks again!

sefskillz

Here's my list if anything jumps out. Probably won't get you excited, but we struggle for distribution here in TN :) There's a whiskey tab too if that's your thing.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/182mq8P225N_979SVrvIWj63vo923zj-meqHXFE5Ev88/edit?usp=sharing

ShinAmano

So I am pretty stoked...picked up in a trade:

Bruery
White Chocolate
Chocolate Rain
Grey Monday
Black Tuesday
Mocha Wednesday

I have never had anything from Bruery...pretty excited.

Picked up the new Stone Enjoy By. Glad to see it in 6 packs. Better bang for the buck.

Not here in southern KY yet. But I was happy to hear a few months ago that they would go 6 packs with this. I always like the Enjoy By series.

Tonight I had a Lagunitas Gnarlywine. Pretty good stuff. Not the best barleywine, but part of the appeal of Lagunitas is the price. They deliver good stuff for cheap and on a consistent basis.

ShinAmano

Not here in southern KY yet. But I was happy to hear a few months ago that they would go 6 packs with this. I always like the Enjoy By series.

Tonight I had a Lagunitas Gnarlywine. Pretty good stuff. Not the best barleywine, but part of the appeal of Lagunitas is the price. They deliver good stuff for cheap and on a consistent basis.

Agree 100%

I recently had Old Rasputin on tap, and it was with Nitro. I didn't like it as much. It made it feel almost lighter. Granted, it was a long time since I had regular Rasputin, so it is a tough judge. But my initial thoughts were the nitro version was not as good.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I live in South Florida, and there's a new brewery opening up down here this weekend called Barrel of Monks. They're specializing in Belgians, so that's pretty exciting. I personally love belgians and most craft brew places down here do IPA's, ports, and stouts. It's a big deal for the craft brew scene down here since it's the former brewmaster from both Funky Buddha and Due South.

If anyone's in the Boca Raton/Delray area, I recommend checking it out on Saturday.
This appeals to my interests.

codhand

I dunno, for me "beetus" criticisms are overblown in general, not just with Bruery. It is a 19% abv imperial stout, gotta know what to expect

That being said creme brulee kinda sux, although i wouldnt compare The Bruery to Southern Tier

My friend is a brewer at a new brewpub opening up here (Cincinnati) on 4/6. Taft's Ale House. Good lord is this place nice. I knew they were spending some coin but wow. This was an old church that they renovated.

2nd floor bar/dining area looking back towards the entrance. There is a bar on the 1st floor I didn't get any pics of.
16947167522_3520c70c38_c.jpg

Looking back towards the bar.
16947522301_d01e89d28c_c.jpg

Tanks. The brewing equipment is top-notch and the setup throughout the place is insane.
16741132897_ef5cc2f559_c.jpg

3rd level bar w/ a private dining room behind it.
16762265629_89833a6e67_c.jpg

3rd level dining areas on each side.
16760786538_be4a5065af_c.jpg

All beers will be $5 and vary in size based on ABV, etc. Launching with 10 house beers and there will be several guest taps. Nice food menu (tri-tip is the feature item). Already have bourbon barrels (Four Roses) filled w/ 2 brews so far and a sour culture in a foedor. Will be going to the friends and family opening next weekend.

Chris R

Man that looks so nice, and $5 pints are always a deal in my book (so sad that the only bar I frequent stopped their $3 pint specials)

Man that looks so nice, and $5 pints are always a deal in my book (so sad that the only bar I frequent stopped their $3 pint specials)

The $5 price across the board (at least on their beers, wasn't sure about guest taps but I'm thinking so) was a major point of emphasis for them.

The entire area around them is going through a major revitalization and there's a nice park a block south of them w/ a parking garage below it. And the street car that Cincy is building runs right in front of their building.

Tarkus

Just got a hold of this beer:
iu-12.jpeg

It's very nice and similar to their Torpedo. In fact, it is dry hopped using the same technique as Torpedo. It is pretty much a lager version of Torpedo. Kinda smells like my old college roommate's strong pot. 9/10

Booshka

i wish i could buy just one Hop Hunter, is it really that great to have six of?

Unless you can hold your alcohol real well, or are looking to get fucked up, probably best to have 3-4. That one is 7.0%, so 6 of em should last the whole day, or a weekend if you are responsible, but fuck that.

Local liquor store has a 6 pack of Stone's Enjoy By, so I am gonna tear through that tomorrow, get righteously blasted.

dekline

i wish i could buy just one Hop Hunter, is it really that great to have six of?

There's a nice little place on the Mississippi river here that has it on tap. It's a good beer, but six of them would have you nonchalantly pissing in public places.

I believe it's 6.2% abv btw.

PG2G

I am beginning to come to the conclusion that rum BA beers are awful. Anyone have any that are good and aged entirely in rum barrels?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Just saw a commercial that Sam Adams now has a session IPA and a double IPA. I like their Rebel IPA enough to give these a shot. Anyone tried them out?

I am beginning to come to the conclusion that rum BA beers are awful. Anyone have any that are good and aged entirely in rum barrels?
Innis & Gunn are the only ones I've personally tried. It's been a while, but I remember liking them

HiResDes

My friend is a brewer at a new brewpub opening up here (Cincinnati) on 4/6. Taft's Ale House. Good lord is this place nice. I knew they were spending some coin but wow. This was an old church that they renovated.

2nd floor bar/dining area looking back towards the entrance. There is a bar on the 1st floor I didn't get any pics of.
16947167522_3520c70c38_c.jpg

Looking back towards the bar.
16947522301_d01e89d28c_c.jpg

Tanks. The brewing equipment is top-notch and the setup throughout the place is insane.
16741132897_ef5cc2f559_c.jpg

3rd level bar w/ a private dining room behind it.
16762265629_89833a6e67_c.jpg

3rd level dining areas on each side.
16760786538_be4a5065af_c.jpg

All beers will be $5 and vary in size based on ABV, etc. Launching with 10 house beers and there will be several guest taps. Nice food menu (tri-tip is the feature item). Already have bourbon barrels (Four Roses) filled w/ 2 brews so far and a sour culture in a foedor. Will be going to the friends and family opening next weekend.
Holy shit

Top Bottom