• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I am beginning to come to the conclusion that rum BA beers are awful. Anyone have any that are good and aged entirely in rum barrels?

I really enjoyed Rum'kin and the 2 rum barrel aged Nebraska Brewing beers they put out this spring. I' apparently of the minority opinion that rum goes with beer better than whisky.

PG2G

I really enjoyed Rum'kin and the 2 rum barrel aged Nebraska Brewing beers they put out this spring. I' apparently of the minority opinion that rum goes with beer better than whisky.

Forgot about Rumkin, liked that more than Pump[ky]n. Maybe its just the ones I've had recently.

injurai

Banned
That creme brulee beer was way too sweet for me, I could barely finish it.

i'm really struggling on this last 3rd...
this is harder to drink than the most bitter of ipas....

edit: fuck it, I'm chugging this thing, never again. I should have headed everyone's warnings. An experience it twas.

Forgot about Rumkin, liked that more than Pump[ky]n. Maybe its just the ones I've had recently.

It's unlikely that you'll find it, but Black Eye is a rum barrel stout from Avery as well. It's part of their barrel series, so it was only brewed once and not much of it left Colorado. It's also 19% ABV.

Tarkus

Had two nice IPAs last night: Terrapin's Hopsecutioner and Sweetwater's Hop Hash. The former is a solid well-rounded brew at 7.2%. Hop Hash is a double at 7.8%, but it's bitterness was a bit much. IBU is 100. Both are Georgia breweries.

You guys tried that Bruery Or Xata, yet? You want a beer that tastes like cream soda, there you go. I'm glad I got a taste on draft. I'd never be able to finish a whole 750.

PG2G

It's unlikely that you'll find it, but Black Eye is a rum barrel stout from Avery as well. It's part of their barrel series, so it was only brewed once and not much of it left Colorado. It's also 19% ABV.

Actually remembered I got one of those in a trade and put it in the fridge yesterday :) Looking forward to trying it

Moppet13

Just took a trip to the Firestone Brewery, while driving around the area I was pretty surprised that a lot of their rarer beers were still on shelves. I found 2014 Parabola, 17th Anniversary, and Stickee Monkee. I can't find this stuff on shelves in San Diego without knowing the exact release dates it seems.

Took the Bolt Bus down to Portland yesterday for the Farmhouse and Wild Ale Festival. Lots of Ale Apothecary, de Garde, Jester King, Crooked Stave, Block 15, etc. beers were enjoyed. Then went to Upright, Hair of the Dog, checked out The Commons' amazing new space and then finally witnessed the bizarre Fat Heads PDX location. Then before going home I stopped in at Brouwers for some Russian River Deviation IX. It was a good day.

dekline

I stopped in the Bodega Brew Pub (WI) yesterday. Nice atmosphere, good food, and a tremendous beer selection. Once seated, you're given a binder the size of War and Peace with 400 beers to choose from that included info on the style of each beer, its origin, suggested food pairings, ABV%, serving size, and price. There were 15 beers on tap which is rotated weekly. I didn't browse the wall of liquor since we were short on time, but you can easily spend 30 minutes choosing a drink. While perusing the binder, I noticed a barrel aged beer priced at $68 per 22 oz pour. I can't recall the name of the brew because I blacked out from shock, but looking back I should have split one with my friend for the hell of it, just to see what it was all about.

Anyway, I gotta suggest anyone near or passing through the area to stop there for a bite to eat, but more importantly to imbibe in that gargantuan mountain of bevvies.

While perusing the binder, I noticed a barrel aged beer priced at $68 per 22 oz pour. I can't recall the name of the brew because I blacked out from shock, but looking back I should have split one with my friend for the hell of it, just to see what it was all about..

My 5 oz pour of Deviation IX last night was $10.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
weekend haul from asheville

VAeAp6kl.jpg

Tarkus

I'm finally going to try Pliny the Elder next weekend! I've heard so much about it but it has never been available to me. My buddies say it's the best. Anybody else had it?

I'm finally going to try Pliny the Elder next weekend! I've heard so much about it but it has never been available to me. My buddies say it's the best. Anybody else had it?

Yep, I've had it a bunch. Just some advice, though... lower your expectations. It's a really good beer but it is not life changing.

Yes, but based on the poster's comment I figured it needed to be restated.
Agreed. I didn't mean for my comment to come across as dismissive. It was more in agreement.

I still need to try Pliny though. But after finally having Zombie Dust after years of hype, your advice is sound about most hyped beers.

Tarkus

Yes, but based on the poster's comment I figured it needed to be restated.
I've always heard from friends that are from the west coast that Pliny is a legendary IPA. I'm actually more into plain IPAs than doubles. Victory's Hop Devil and SN's Torpedo are my favorites. Pliny always comes up in beer discussions around here (ATL) though.

Yeah Pliny is delicious especially when super fresh but not worth the insanity. Still it's really tasty, a bit old school and there are always equal/better options these days but that wasn't the case until pretty recently. If you like SN Torpedo you'll love Pliny, though.

Been having a few good days of beer drinking as I was in the bay area this weekend and got to try some great norcal stuff:

Rare Barrel Ensorcelled - damn good dark sour, happened to visit the day it was released and it was pretty crowded but not too terrible. I didn't get any bottles as $30 is a bit too much but I'm glad I got a pour. Also tried a berliner weisse with orange peel and vanilla which was ok.

Cellarmaker d'Donc - they haven't said what hops this uses but a great, juicy IPA as usual from Cellarmaker

Faction Spring IPA - hadn't had this but another fantastic IPA from Faction, tons of Amarillo

Faction Pale - solid as ever

edit: yay just found a Parabola at a nearby Whole Foods, only had it on tap before so I'm excited to try this batch.

BFM √225 Saison - whoa this was super funky, nice and tart too

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah Pliny is delicious especially when super fresh but not worth the insanity. Still it's really tasty, a bit old school and there are always equal/better options these days but that wasn't the case until pretty recently. If you like SN Torpedo you'll love Pliny, though.

Been having a few good days of beer drinking as I was in the bay area this weekend and got to try some great norcal stuff:

Rare Barrel Ensorcelled - damn good dark sour, happened to visit the day it was released and it was pretty crowded but not too terrible. I didn't get any bottles as $30 is a bit too much but I'm glad I got a pour. Also tried a berliner weisse with orange peel and vanilla which was ok.

Cellarmaker d'Donc - they haven't said what hops this uses but a great, juicy IPA as usual from Cellarmaker

Faction Spring IPA - hadn't had this but another fantastic IPA from Faction, tons of Amarillo

Faction Pale - solid as ever

edit: yay just found a Parabola at a nearby Whole Foods, only had it on tap before so I'm excited to try this batch.

BFM √225 Saison - whoa this was super funky, nice and tart too

Faction makes the best hoppy beers in the Bay Area, including Russian River.

Faction Pale is my favorite beer to see on tap anywhere I go.

Moppet13

Most beers will give a temp on the label but its typically 50-60F. Though I believe Firestone Walker says 40-45F
Firestone confuses me because their website says 40-45 but their bottles say 50-55... but I think typically you want around 50-55 for darker beers if im not mistaken.

Anyone try the silva stout from green flash yet?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Aging in the bottle is essentially simply letting oxygen work on the beer. Oxidative reactions slow with lower temperatures, and accelerate with higher temperatures, and the increases tend to be exponential.

But oxidation at higher temperatures tends to emphasize the worse characters. Different compounds taste differently when oxidized. That is why some beers taste like sherry, some like paper, some like caramel, some like toffee, some like maple syrup.

The only real beer that is different in terms of temperature is something that potentially still has bugs working in it. Keeping these cold will basically render the bugs useless and the beer will be much less likely to change.

Other than that, you can pretty much keep all beer you are aging at the same temperature. I prefer fridge temps. I find the aged character better than 55F+. It happens slower, which again I prefer.

fijim

Banned
Got a couple bottles of KBS. Very good this year, I thought it kind of sucked last year. (I still think it is overrated)

Not going to age any because in my experience this beer does not age well at all, although I heard someone say 2013 is tasting good right now.

Got a couple bottles of KBS. Very good this year, I thought it kind of sucked last year. (I still think it is overrated)

Not going to age any because in my experience this beer does not age well at all, although I heard someone say 2013 is tasting good right now.
I thought this year's was better than last, personally. I agree with you on the aging, though. There was a release thing at one of my local bars and a friend brought a five year vertical. Every one of them worse than I remember and none of them as good as a fresh draft pour.

fijim

Banned
I thought this year's was better than last, personally. I agree with you on the aging, though. There was a release thing at one of my local bars and a friend brought a five year vertical. Every one of them worse than I remember and none of them as good as a fresh draft pour.

Yeah, I don't go crazy over this beer anymore. I'll try to get a couple bottles or maybe a 4-pack and just drink them fresh. If I see it on draft, I'll order it. But I'm not waiting in line or driving all over town to hunt it down.

Bought a 5€ bottle of beer that's labbled as strong red lagger, to see if its better than the other beer's that are more avaible around here on bars.

Went by the store in town that was a honey pot for old stuff before, and they still have tons of 2012 Old Guardian there. They even had a bunch of bottles of North Coast Grand Cru, which looks like it is 3-4 years old now.

Yeah I've had some incredible Fred and Adam but the last couple bottles I got were flat. I'd love to try the bourbon aged versions sometime even if they're flat because they taste so damn good anyway.

Tried some great stuff the last couple days, had:

Faction Something Different - delicious, lots of citra

Faction Two Hop (Amarillo and Lemon Drop) - pretty tasty

RR Row Two Hill 56 - as great as ever

Bear Republic Tartare Rouge - damn this was amazing, too bad it was so expensive

Lagunitas High West-ified - wish I'd found bottles of this, pretty good bourbon barrel-aged stout, even if I didn't get much coffee flavor

The Alpine WA launch party was tonight at Toronado. Blah blah Green Flash Alpine isn't as good. Whatever. I had Hoppy Birthday. It was good.

Yeah I've had some incredible Fred and Adam but the last couple bottles I got were flat. I'd love to try the bourbon aged versions sometime even if they're flat because they taste so damn good anyway.

I've got a 2015 Cherry Adam from the Wood. Totally flat but at least it says so on the bottle.

The bottled Doggie Claws this past year was disgusting flat wort, but I had it on tap this past weekend at the brewery and it was amazing like it used to be.

Lotto

Anyone try the silva stout from green flash yet?

I was there for the bottle release, I live like 5 mins away from it, even saw Chuck Silva but didn't bother him. I found it to be pretty ordinary for a BBA stout (that is to say, it was still very delicious), I find AleSmith's BBA Speedway Stout to be a lot better. It hides the 11% alcohol very well which can sneak up on you if you're not careful though! Still a really enjoyable stout, my friend picked up a bottle that came with a pretty cool wooden batch card with tasting notes.

Grabbed Hair of the Dog "Fred" as well as "Adam". Interested to see how it turns out.

Nice, I also just picked up 'Adam'. I've heard good things from them so I can't wait to try it.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Was surprised to see New Glarus so high on that list (19 and 25) when they dont even distribute out of state.

Top Bottom