• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

dekline

Was surprised to see New Glarus so high on that list (19 and 25) when they dont even distribute out of state.

Yeah, that's impressive. Good for New Glarus.

It's not too surprising when I think about it. Every New Glarus concoction that I've sampled has been outstanding. Wisconsinites love it and so do Minnesotans. A small part of it may also have to do with the MN blue law, which we have the MLBA and MMBA to thank for that. Loads of people hop the river on Sunday to get a drink. This is great for Wisconsin, but not so much for Minnesota.

Having a bottle of the Country Boy Rum Barrel Aged Black Gold Porter tonight. I love that the bottle is as plain and basic as can be, and that the name is just a crappy printed sticker over the label. The bottle date and ABV are cheap stamps put on there. It makes it feel that much more special because they didn't make enough to try and print a fancy label.

jtNmB4sl.jpg

Overall, really enjoying it. As you sip it, it tastes like a regular, okay porter. But damn, is the rum aftertaste strong on this one. Glad that I like rum.

Off to Oregon next week. Lunch in Hood River (pFriem, Double Mountain) on Monday, a couple days in Bend helping out at Crux, then a stop at Block 15 in Corvallis before driving out to the coast for a night in Pacific City (Pelican) and then finally visiting de Garde in Tillamook on Thursday.

Link

The Autumn Wind
That reminds me, I keep wanting to try Brooklyn Black Ops, but the price tag keeps scaring me away.

Milchjon

Tried Mischief by The Bruery today, and while it didn't blow me away, it left me with two thoughts:

1.: It seemed like such a great beer to pair with food. Like a wine, but actually enjoyable. Can't wait to have more varied beers available to pair food with at a bearable price point, because...

2.: 22 Euros are more than I would ever have wanted to spend on a bottle of beer. 2005 me would probably slap me across the face for that.

Dunno if it was worth it. Was at a bar, in a big bottle, and I shared it with others. But still.

How is that new Modern Times? I'm still not back in LA yet but hopefully it'll still be around when I get back.

And damn, 22 euro for Bruery Mischief? I'm sure there's much better actual Belgian stuff you can get right? I guess bars near me sometimes charge 20+ dollars for larger bottles of stuff that costs less than 10 retail so it's not as exorbitant given the distance but still!

PG2G

How is that new Modern Times? I'm still not back in LA yet but hopefully it'll still be around when I get back.

And damn, 22 euro for Bruery Mischief? I'm sure there's much better actual Belgian stuff you can get right? I guess bars near me sometimes charge 20+ dollars for larger bottles of stuff that costs less than 10 retail so it's not as exorbitant given the distance but still!

Its good but 5.8% stouts ain't my thing, too watery. I prefer the big thick and strong stouts. Need to pick up my Modern Times Coconut

overcast

Nice, I also just picked up 'Adam'. I've heard good things from them so I can't wait to try it.
We should exchange opinions for sure.

How does that Modern Times Black House compare to the original. Love that one.

Edit: The Adam came out flat. No bubbles at all when I poured it.

Lotto

10974704_10155301414690713_9191554472962481839_o.jpg

(Not my pic)

Had some Grunion from Ballast Point last night. Wow, I don't remember it being this good when I had it in the tasting room. I'm glad they started bottling it. It reminds me of a Sculpin 'Lite' almost at 5.5% abv. It's more pricey than Sculpin though (15.99 vs 12.99!). Really love the logo design too, growing up in San Diego doing Grunion runs and seeing these little fish on a bottle is kinda cool.

Needed a beer tonight but this 5.8% might not be enough lol

Picked this up last night as well. I also have their two other special releases sitting in my fridge, Protocosmos and Booming Rollers, both IPAs (different hops, Galaxy and Citra respectively.) Booming Rollers is fantastic, really strong caramelly flavor that was unfamiliar to me in IPAs (or just too muted for me to really notice before), really enjoyed it. Protocosmos not so much, I couldn't pinpoint any flavors when I had it other than slight fruitiness and bitterness, I'll pay more attention when I pop it open maybe this weekend.

We should exchange opinions for sure.

How does that Modern Times Black House compare to the original. Love that one.

Edit: The Adam came out flat. No bubbles at all when I poured it.

For sure, I don't know when I'll pop that one open though.

Bacon

Heading to The Hop in Beacon, New York today with my family. Supposed to be a pretty good craft beer bar/restaraunt. I'll take some pics and share some thoughts later on!

PG2G

Just had my tracking change on two beer trade boxes I sent via Fedex to 'improper shipment - return to shipper'

Might have to take a trading hiatus once all my open trades are done lol. I'm gonna be mad af if I don't get the boxes back. Hopefully nothing too good broke.

injurai

Banned
Had some Grunion from Ballast Point last night. Wow, I don't remember it being this good when I had it in the tasting room. I'm glad they started bottling it. It reminds me of a Sculpin 'Lite' almost at 5.5% abv. It's more pricey than Sculpin though (15.99 vs 12.99!). Really love the logo design too, growing up in San Diego doing Grunion runs and seeing these little fish on a bottle is kinda cool.

Will keep a lookout. I see sculpin around right now, did I miss the Grapefruit Sculpin season?

Just had my tracking change on two beer trade boxes I sent via Fedex to 'improper shipment - return to shipper'

Might have to take a trading hiatus once all my open trades are done lol. I'm gonna be mad af if I don't get the boxes back. Hopefully nothing too good broke.

I've heard California is really cracking down on alcohol being shipped.

PG2G

There was the whole LAX customs thing where they are screening for beer. Belgium in a Box has actually put shipments to all of the west coast on hold as a result.

really? I Thought shipping alcohol in California was legal?.

It's illegal to ship alcohol via USPS. It's against the rules of FedEx and UPS but in a gray area where people do it. I've done it before and got through ok.

You get caught, they sometimes destroy the box. Sometimes they'll return to sender.

Random beer related joke from Furious 7. I will put in spoiler for those sensitive to them, but it is nothing too revealing.
Kurt Russell's character always keeps a keg of Belgian beer with him at HQ. We don't know what kind, but he says, "Those monks sure knew what the hell they were doing with beer."
To which Vin says, "I prefer Corona." Which of course Kurt had nearby just to schmooze Vin with.
But later, when shit was going down and bodies were stacking up, Kurt spoke the truth. "Dom, you need to hear something but you aren't going to like it. You really should try the Belgian stuff. You are missing out."
He is right.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Random beer related joke from Furious 7. I will put in spoiler for those sensitive to them, but it is nothing too revealing.
Kurt Russell's character always keeps a keg of Belgian beer with him at HQ. We don't know what kind, but he says, "Those monks sure knew what the hell they were doing with beer."
To which Vin says, "I prefer Corona." Which of course Kurt had nearby just to schmooze Vin with.
But later, when shit was going down and bodies were stacking up, Kurt spoke the truth. "Dom, you need to hear something but you aren't going to like it. You really should try the Belgian stuff. You are missing out."
He is right.
Heh, that's great.

Had the Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout. Damn that's good. This year's KBS seemed weak after it. $15/4pk is nice too. I'm sure this will have hype attached to it next year and be hard to find...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's illegal to ship alcohol via USPS. It's against the rules of FedEx and UPS but in a gray area where people do it. I've done it before and got through ok.

You get caught, they sometimes destroy the box. Sometimes they'll return to sender.

Maybe for private entities, but businesses are allowed to ship within California beer and wine. Wine clubs and the shipping that goes with it are huge business here.

Maybe for private entities, but businesses are allowed to ship within California beer and wine. Wine clubs and the shipping that goes with it are huge business here.

Yeah, businesses are different. That's also legal here in Waahington, but not what the original poster was talking about.

Where breh? About to check out this Jeffs Marathon spot to see if it's legit.

He tweeted that he got it in. Whether it's still there or not... Heard there should be more coming in next week. Country Fresh near Wyoming still had some yesterday. The 50 West sour is hitting some stores too. Going to Taft's tonight, looking forward to trying out the beers (and food).

injurai

Banned
4 Tiny cans. Kind of pricy but I got it for the novelty.

lowerdeboom1.jpg

6 pack of this. Finally came in stock.

NYFR_Blog.jpg

And to top it all off I grabbed the last Chillwave IPA while they still are around.

Taft's is the real deal. Everything was damn good (food included) and the building is insane. See this place getting some serious pub in the near future.

injurai

Banned
The Dragonfly IPA was a really lackluster pick. Our local brewery Rivertown had a Berliner Weisse called Divergent that I hesitated to get, but later found out was delicious.

Almost picked up oberon today, but I had already picked out too much.

How are you liking the Blacktart? Hopefully I'll pick up another round tomorrow when I head down to cinci. It's really nowhere to be found even in Columbus.

codhand

The Dragonfly IPA was a really lackluster pick. Our local brewery Rivertown had a Berliner Weisse called Divergent that I hesitated to get, but later found out was delicious.

yeah Upland's regular offerings are meh. when you consider Dragonfly IPA is over 15 years old it's a pretty cool accomplishment, it changed a lot over the years, flavorwise...

u retired from untappd already?

HiResDes

yeah Upland's regular offerings are meh. when you consider Dragonfly IPA is over 15 years old it's a pretty cool accomplishment, it changed a lot over the years, flavorwise...

u retired from untappd already?

I always forget lol. Also I haven't been drinking much since I moved in when my baby momma. Definition of whipped and miserable now.
Almost picked up oberon today, but I had already picked out too much.

How are you liking the Blacktart? Hopefully I'll pick up another round tomorrow when I head down to cinci. It's really nowhere to be found even in Columbus.

I went into it thinking it was going to be a sour, and not expecting a dark fruity complex stout. It's definitely not tart at all lol. Delicious, but definitely not what I was expecting. It tastes like Thundersnow a bit, but with some fruity and oakey notes added.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Fuck, Not Your Father's Root Beer sounds delicious.

Need to try Oberon.

Oberon is just Blue Moon in a different bottle to me. If you like one, you'll like the other.

This Root Beer is incredible. The 11% stuff on tap is also delicious as hell. So happy I snagged 2 cases before heading back to Indy.

HiResDes

Same style, but I like Oberon better, definitely has a better finish and mouthfeel to me...Even more refreshing than Blue Moon.

injurai

Banned
not sure how I fell about not your father's root beer...

my first impression was that it was a good "root beer"

but the sugar alcohol bitter root after taste is really detracting

PG2G

I thought NYFRB was awesome, really wanna try the higher ABV versions. Alcohol was nearly undetectable in the 5.9% version to me.

Top Bottom