• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

andylsun

Went to the new Smuttynose restaurant and brewery in Hampton today. The food was surprisingly creative, lots of thing I have never tried before. A focus on vegan and vegetarian.

Had a flight of beer including smuttlabs Daily Brett. Had a few sours in the past and this was really nice. Not crazy sour or barnyard and the saison base worked well. Should be available in bottles.

Here's what was on tap today

VuXi33Yl.jpg

injurai

Banned
lowerdeboom1.jpg

Yup, this is good. Totally worth it. It's the most hipster I've ever felt drinking a beer. It's certainly a sipper beer. But I would highly recommend it.

Damn tasty beer there. Victory is always solid. And their prices are great on some of those BA 750s.

We don't get as much Victory stuff here in KY as CT got. But we at least get some of their stuff, like Dirt Wolf. Thank god.

I still pray that Weyerbacher comes to KY soon. They are the brewery I miss most since moving from CT.

HiResDes

We don't get as much Victory stuff here in KY as CT got. But we at least get some of their stuff, like Dirt Wolf. Thank god.

I still pray that Weyerbacher comes to KY soon. They are the brewery I miss most since moving from CT.
They're here in Cincy so they should be there too.

They're here in Cincy so they should be there too.

Nothing in southern KY. Everyone I talk to at the stores here knows nothing about them.
They were never had insane, "OMG I MUST HAVE THIS!" releases, but they were always reliable and relatively inexpensive. I think the two things I will miss the most from them are Imperial Pumpkin and Blasphemy. Oh, god, was Blasphemy brutal if you tried to finish a bomber of it. A bourbon barrel aged quad. I could handle their regular quad, which was 11.8% like Blasphemy was, but the added flavor of the bourbon aging just made it more brutal to me. I loved it every single time I had it, and always questioned my judgement the day after. To top it all off, a bomber of it was only $8 or so, so it also hit the relatively cheap sweet spot too.

ShinAmano

Yep. Group B.

Don't have any whalez bro to take with me, so I brewed something nobody's had before. It's a Belgian Dark Strong using Dr. Pepper instead of candi sugar. Hopefully it'll be mature enough in three weeks.

Nice, I'm Group A...would love to try some homebrew ;)

The guys I am coming with will have plenty of big tunas if not some whales ;)

codhand

Went to the new Smuttynose restaurant and brewery in Hampton today. The food was surprisingly creative, lots of thing I have never tried before. A focus on vegan and vegetarian.

Had a flight of beer including smuttlabs Daily Brett. Had a few sours in the past and this was really nice. Not crazy sour or barnyard and the saison base worked well. Should be available in bottles.

Here's what was on tap today

VuXi33Yl.jpg

what'd you think of the SmuttLabs offerings?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I gotta travel Anaheim for work in June. We're staying at the convention center...

Who on the West Coast wants to give me the best places to go in the evenings for amazing beer selections near there? :)

Tried the Sierra Hop Hunter-- reminded me of a pilsner, oddly. I'll try it one more time to so if my initial impressions are incorrect, but I think this is a pass for me.

PG2G

I gotta travel Anaheim for work in June. We're staying at the convention center...

Who on the West Coast wants to give me the best places to go in the evenings for amazing beer selections near there? :)

The Bruery, Noble Ale Works, and Bottle Logic are all within striking distance. As far as selection is concerned, The Bruery is one the best taprooms I've ever been too. Typically lots of undistributed beers (society exclusives) and one offs.

The Bruery also has an excellent bottle shop on the corner, Me K's.

andylsun

what'd you think of the SmuttLabs offerings?

Daily Brett and farmhouse ale were great but I'm realtively new to sours.

Ol Grundy Humper wasn't great and would pick something different next time. I'm not a huge barley wine fan. Should have gone for Kindest Find.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The Bruery, Noble Ale Works, and Bottle Logic are all within striking distance. As far as selection is concerned, The Bruery is one the best taprooms I've ever been too. Typically lots of undistributed beers (society exclusives) and one offs.

The Bruery also has an excellent bottle shop on the corner, Me K's.

Just text this to the guy I'll be out there with. He's already making plans to get us to the Bruery! Thanks mate!

Any killer food we should hit up with 20-30 min of the convention center?

PG2G

Just text this to the guy I'll be out there with. He's already making plans to get us to the Bruery! Thanks mate!

Any killer food we should hit up with 20-30 min of the convention center?

Can't help you too much with that, I normally get in the area and out.

If you're from somewhere that isn't very ethnically diverse, the nearby areas have a massive Vietnamese (Westminster, Garden Grove, Santa Ana) population and fairly large Korean (Garden Grove) so you've got some excellent options in that regard. You'd probably want to hit Yelp for actual recommendations though.

Bruxie (http://www.yelp.com/biz/bruxie-orange-3) is pretty well regarded among most people I know

pablito

Finally had Heady Topper over the weekend from a trade. It was good, but a little mellow for my taste. While I'm glad I tried it, I'll say that I'm so glad I didn't go to this surprise Heady Topper thing in Cali last year. Expensive to get in, and I think you just got a 4 oz pour. I would have been so mad lol.

Moppet13

I believe beachwood brewery isnt too far, everyone goes pretty crazy for their beer when they end up on shelves. Never been to the brewery myself though.

HiResDes

Finally had Heady Topper over the weekend from a trade. It was good, but a little mellow for my taste. While I'm glad I tried it, I'll say that I'm so glad I didn't go to this surprise Heady Topper thing in Cali last year. Expensive to get in, and I think you just got a 4 oz pour. I would have been so mad lol.
Heady Topper has a pretty good balance for as hop heavy as it is, but it's far from mellow in any regard to me.

KBS finally showed up here in Bowling Green, KY, but it was annoying. I was walking into Liquor Barn to get some, and I see some people leaving with 4 packs. I was happy, because that is all I wanted. But then they tell me it is 2 bottle limit per person. Apparently as I was in line they changed the limit, which is bullshit. Only the first three people were allowed a four pack. And the guy in front of me was coincidentally the third person. To top it off, he brought his girlfriend who bought two bottles for him. So, I, and everyone else that showed up, was only allowed two bottles, but we got to watch a guy leave with 6. That's some bullshit.

I was out running errands, so decided to swing by one other place in town. As I pull in, I see someone jump out of their car, and it was a guy that was several people behind me in line at Liquor Barn. He sped from one place to another trying to snag as much as he could. I couldn't help but laugh at it, which I think annoyed him. I asked him how much over the limit he was going since he was several people behind me in line, which annoyed him more.

I am not one to talk since I drove to two places to try and get some of it, but the guy speeding around town to clear them out, and hearing others in that store plotting a route around town to get more just makes me cringe some. People are way too intense when it comes to getting limited release beers. I realize that I am part of the problem by going to two places to try and get some, but the intensity of these other people frightens me.

I am happy just to have something at all in the end.

pablito

Yeah it's a double edged sword. It's cool craft beer is coveted enough to sell so breweries can keep it going. But it's annoying that some stuff is so hyped that you gotta fight people for it.

Pliny bottles are annoying to get outside the brewery. Usually only every other Friday, 2 bottle limit, and you have to go when liquor stores open or else you'll miss it. I'm lucky that Russian River is only an hour and a half away, so I can just go get cases of it if I want.

So what's up with KBS this year, slightly better, slightly worse?... Basically should I bother trading for it?

I thought it wasn't as good as last year (I still have some of both, need to meet up so you can have some!). Then again I had it after having the Sunday Morning Stout so it seemed tame in comparison. Party Town will have it on tap Friday night (5-7ish).

Crux did a collab sour with Crooked Stave for the Craft Brewer's Conference next week. Woke up this morning with a free bottle waiting for me to take home.

Knowing people is cool.

HiResDes

I thought it wasn't as good as last year (I still have some of both, need to meet up so you can have some!). Then again I had it after having the Sunday Morning Stout so it seemed tame in comparison. Party Town will have it on tap Friday night (5-7ish).

I'm probably going to Taft this saturday!

For anybody in central Illinois, Medici in Normal is pouring CBS.

I don't really chase many beers, but I've been looking forward to this one. It's pretty glorious.

I'm probably going to Taft this saturday!

It's awesome. Was there on Saturday for the friends and family soft opening. Had 7 of the 10 on tap. Weakest one for me was the Keylime Ale (didn't have the pale, IPL or pilsner). The chocolate porter is liquid chocolate and the coconut brown was awesome (if you like coconut). The IPA is very solid (Amarillo, Simcoe & Citra - hard not to like). Cherrywood amber was nice w/ a hint of the smoked malt. Great variety of brews and the food is great too. Alehouse sandwich. Do it.

HiResDes

It's awesome. Was there on Saturday for the friends and family soft opening. Had 7 of the 10 on tap. Weakest one for me was the Keylime Ale (didn't have the pale, IPL or pilsner). The chocolate porter is liquid chocolate and the coconut brown was awesome (if you like coconut). The IPA is very solid (Amarillo, Simcoe & Citra - hard not to like). Cherrywood amber was nice w/ a hint of the smoked malt. Great variety of brews and the food is great too. Alehouse sandwich. Do it.
Good looks you always have the scoop.

If you ever find yourself in Pacific City, Oregon...

The owner of Twist Wine is the sister of Vinnie at Russian River.

Drinking cheap pints of Pliny and Blind Pig with locals is awesome.

Rang up a guy at work tonight wearing a shirt for Beaver Dam or whatever brewery. I feel bad for not remembering but it was something Beaver. He said it is a micro brew pub he is opening in May in my town. Just random pub food and custom brews only at their place once they open. Excited for it to see what a local can pull off.

Opened my first bottle of KBS from this year. It is not as good as I remember it being last year. The bourbon flavor is nowhere near as strong, and it is more coffee forward. It basically tastes like a mildly boozy version of regular Breakfast Stout.

Let's see how much that changes as it warms up a little bit.

Top Bottom