• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

injurai

Banned
How strong is the bourbon in KBS?

Don't take this comparison as in insult to KBS, but I remember not being too found of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale upon having it a second time. But it was for the opposite reason. The bourbon was too overpowering. It was a good starter beer when I was just beginning to form my beer palette. But eventually it wasn't working for me.

Don't take this comparison as in insult to KBS, but I remember not being too found of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale upon having it a second time. But it was for the opposite reason. The bourbon was too overpowering. It was a good starter beer when I was just beginning to form my beer palette. But eventually it wasn't working for me.

So far not that strong. I remember it being stronger, yet still smooth last year.

Strongest bourbon flavor in anything recently was London Balling, followed by Earth and Flame by Victory.

This year, I think I have come to the realization that the aged beers I enjoy the most are barleywines. Those seem to latch onto the flavors most to my liking.

HiResDes

I'd guess that it's much stronger than that, that beer is like overpowered by a ton of sugar and Bourbon that only exists on the initial taste and doesn't linger on the palette.

torontoml

Was finally able to get someone in Calgary to pick up some delirium tremens for me. Cleaned out the liquor store since I don't know when I'll get there myself or know someone else heading that way. They only had 21 bottles though.

tfIlSzWl.jpg

I only bought a case of beer.

Some guys bought six.

dekline

Happy National Beer Day, BeerGAF! =]

CCB2g64XIAE7YNn.jpg:large

Ugh. A local spot in town here had KBS in stock. I've never seen it anyway NEAR this place before. Two purchase max per customer and they sold out the same day. I didn't find out about it until several days later when my friend was raving about it. I was crushed.

I Immediately made the decision to drown my sorrows in Old Rasputin.

Haul from my Oregon trip:

YxphCOWl.jpg

L-R: Tableau Rouge, Saison Deuxieme x2, Saison Quatrieme x2, Hose x4, Yer Bu, Hop Bu.

80OcCp0l.jpg

L-R: Buoy IPA, Barley Brown's Belmont Black CDA, Crux/Crooked Stave Golden Sour, Crux Freakcake with Cranberries, Logsdon Peche n Brett, Silver Moon High Desert Museum Pale Ale, Bend Brewing Outback XX 20th Anniversary, pFriem Saison, Crooked Stave St. Bretta.

Yeah, it seems the thinness seems a common complaint. But no noticeable affect on aroma/taste?

I really like it, but mostly as a unique glass. I really like thin wine glasses too, so that might factor in. I have the IPA and the stout and am going to try and pick up the Bell's wheat if it makes its way next door. I've gotten to the point where pouring a beer into a glass gets you 95% there, and the last bit is all about experience and the tiny difference shape makes. My favorite glasses are still the Sam Adams glasses, New Belgium glasses and the taller tulip glasses. (See Below). I have about every glass shape out there and while I love drinking out of most of them, these 3 are my "go to's."

edit: While we're on the glassware topic, post your favorite or go-to glass. Don't worry, my Odell's Isolation shaker was my go to for the longest time.

Jarnet87

I got a bottle of KBS today, Total Wine by me was limiting it to 1 bottle per person, only reason I was able to get it.

Opened up this Cigar City collaboration called Evander. It's a Belgian white, pretty meh. I've tried a few of CCBs seasonal and special releases and most of the time they don't impress, their flagship brews are far better.

I really like it, but mostly as a unique glass. I really like thin wine glasses too, so that might factor in. I have the IPA and the stout and am going to try and pick up the Bell's wheat if it makes its way next door. I've gotten to the point where pouring a beer into a glass gets you 95% there, and the last bit is all about experience and the tiny difference shape makes. My favorite glasses are still the Sam Adams glasses, New Belgium glasses and the taller tulip glasses. (See Below). I have about every glass shape out there and while I love drinking out of most of them, these 3 are my "go to's."

edit: While we're on the glassware topic, post your favorite or go-to glass. Don't worry, my Odell's Isolation shaker was my go to for the longest time.
My go-to (of the 6 Duvel glasses I have):
237131-2.jpg

t-ramp

I got 4 (well, 3 after breaking one recently) Libbey iced tea goblets for like $5 at Walmart that I use quite a bit. Besides those, a Shipyard pint glass, Toppling Goliath snifter, and a big Hacker-Pschorr mug from Goodwill are among my most-used glasses.

Piggus

Results:

The the Ninkasi dark rye is a little dark for my tastes but still pretty good. Ashland Amber from my home town is still my current favorite.

The Fosters tastes like typical cheap lager but it's not the worst I've had.

Good effort, Australia. But you LOSE.

injurai

Banned
I don't really get the point of the different glasses for different beer types. Not at that level.

I sort of get it to be honest. I think sometimes too much emphasis is put on the vessel from which you drink. But if every style has one glass that has been the standard from which the brews taste is refined around. Then I'm not going to scoff at that.

Honestly I'd like to invest in some more glasses. I'd really like to get a snifter.

overcast

I sort of get it to be honest. I think sometimes too much emphasis is put on the vessel from which you drink. But if every style has one glass that has been the standard from which the brews taste is refined around. Then I'm not going to scoff at that.

Honestly I'd like to invest in some more glasses. I'd really like to get a snifter.
I mean I legitimately don't understand the science(?) behind the whole thing. I definitely need more glasses either way. Some of them are just nice looking tbh.

My favorite glasses are still the Sam Adams glasses, New Belgium glasses and the taller tulip glasses. (See Below). I have about every glass shape out there and while I love drinking out of most of them, these 3 are my "go to's."

Do you drink IPAs from the New Belguim and Sam Adams glasses? I have ever just used standard pint glasses for everything, so I'm a bit of a glass noob.

Stone Delicious IPA picture

How's that Stone? Been looking for it everywhere. Even my local Total Wine hasn't stocked it.

Oh, and thanks for the reply distantmantra.

Do you drink IPAs from the New Belguim and Sam Adams glasses? I have ever just used standard pint glasses for everything, so I'm a bit of a glass noob.

I just drink out of whatever I feel like at the moment, I don't put a whole lot of stock in the right glass for the right style. I drink lagers out of Teku glasses and sours out of nonics. I really don't think drinking a beer out of a shaker has ever lessened my enjoyment, its just fun to have different glassware.

injurai

Banned
I mean I legitimately don't understand the science(?) behind the whole thing. I definitely need more glasses either way. Some of them are just nice looking tbh.

I wouldn't really know the science either. I've heard part of it is different glasses introducer different amounts of air as you pour the drink into your mouth. Especially so when you are trying to sip it more gently, you're more likely to let some air in.

I know wine glasses and snifters are meant to bring the smell to you more. Much of our taste is actually based on our smell. We experience two different smells for most food and drink. That of breathing in, and that of breathing it out from that back of our mouth. That later is a major component our experience of fine taste.

Then finally the step of a glass is just so your hand doesn't warm up a cold drink.

I just drink out of whatever I feel like at the moment, I don't put a whole lot of stock in the right glass for the right style. I drink lagers out of Teku glasses and sours out of nonics. I really don't think drinking a beer out of a shaker has ever lessened my enjoyment, its just fun to have different glassware.

Yeah, I'm not going to go crazy and buy a bunch of different glassware, I only drink IPA anyway, but I just bought the New Belgium glass to give it a shot.

Alos, picked up some Terrapin Hi-5. Sounds good.

t-ramp

I've gotten to the point where pouring a beer into a glass gets you 95% there, and the last bit is all about experience and the tiny difference shape makes.
I definitely agree with this. I don't like drinking most beers out of the bottle at all, as most seem to taste significantly off if I do, but the particular glass I choose doesn't matter much to me. That said, it feels right drinking imperial stouts and sours and more exotic stuff from a snifter, so I'll do so usually.

My local liquor store has the IPA and stout glasses in stock, but I've never seriously considered spending so much on them. I'd probably end up breaking one anyway, so I prefer using glassware that's fairly sturdy.

Also, said liquor store (Cyclone Liquors) just opened their tasting room/bar in the back of the store. It's pretty neat - they have a couple good beers on tap now (Ten Fidy for one, Founders Black Rye is another), and I'm sure more to come on a rotating basis. I just checked it out yesterday, though, didn't try anything. Might have to swing back next Friday for a glass of Ten Fidy though, if it's still on.

I did pick up a Prairie Eliza5beth, Toppling Goliath Smoove Opferator, and Clown Shoes Royal Standard though. Looking forward to all three, a good range of styles between them.

How's that Stone? Been looking for it everywhere. Even my local Total Wine hasn't stocked it.
Honestly, I'm not a huge fan. There's a bit of lemony flavor from the lemongrass hops I suppose, but otherwise it's a fairly unremarkable bitter IPA in my opinion. It's good, but I probably won't get it again.

said liquor store (Cyclone Liquors) just opened their tasting room/bar

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan. There's a bit of lemony flavor from the lemongrass hops I suppose, but otherwise it's a fairly unremarkable bitter IPA in my opinion. It's good, but I probably won't get it again.

My local ABC (yeah, I know) has a new growler section. You buy the growler for a one time fee and they fill it with rotating kegs-- I think they even have a card or something that nets you discounts. Never seen that before in a big chain store.

Shame about the Stone, but they are hit or miss for me. I love their Ruination and Got-To-- hate their IPA. Far too malty for my taste.

Just tried the new glassware with a Ballast Point Sculpin and the aromatics/flavor are much more intense. I could be wrong and just trying to justify my purchase, tho. :)

I have a ridiculous amount of glassware, but these are probably my favorites.

JVny07Dl.jpg

My grandpa's old Seahawks mug, Cantillon flute, Fremont goblet and a Minoh taster glass.

I'm jealous of my parents' oversized wine glass from Jester King.

Any chance you lot know the hops used in the following beers? I have looked on the company websites, but nothing. It seems some breweries are not forthcoming with what they use.

Sierra Torpedo: I thought it was Cascade, but no more labeling on the bottles/case/cases.
Sweetwater IPA
Dogfish 120
Bells Hop Slam
Ballast Point Sculpin/Big Eye
SixPoint Resin/Bengali
Stone Ruination
Uinta Detour/Hop Nosh
Lagunitas Maximus
Terrapin Hopsecutioner

My IPA Journal demands ANSWERS!

Milchjon

So uh, apparently Maine Beer Company released a new batch of Dinner today

10729285_419184284916869_1918785066_n.jpg

Does this happen with a lot of breweries?

Americans are crazy.

terrible

Banned

Americans are crazy.
11138002_364993313693906_1827020715_n.jpg

I was in this lineup last week (not my pic though). It's Bellwoods Brewery in Toronto for their Motley Cru 2015 release. I wouldn't do that by myself but it's bearable with a friend.

Anyone used the Spiegelau IPA glass?

They just remind me of an Aventinus glass. I actually don't know which glass came first though.

My favourite glass is probably my Tripel Karmeliet glass personally but I have tons of beer glasses and switch things up depending on the style.

Americans are crazy.

This does not happen in the Pacific Northwest. You Midwest and East coasters are fucking crazy. I said just as much on MBC's Instagram post.

Top Bottom