• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Table beer on my table. So meta.

16971587417_24e735b9d7.jpg

Finishing up a Noble Citra Showers right now, was pretty glad to see it back after having a bottle last year. I think Nelson Showers has been my favorite of the series so far but this is a close second. Makes me wish Modern Times Booming Rollers didn't end up having so many problems with oxygen in the cans because as uncontroversial of an opinion it is damn do I love citra hops. I can't believe the flavors beers like this can get out of them.

Those 120 minute/WWS blends sound terrifying. I haven't had either but I can't imagine that blend being pleasant.

Drpunch

Neo Member
I love getting all this Fat Tug up in Canada. Can't believe I've never had it before. Definitely will keep my eye out for it in the future. Always good to support Canadian breweries!!

PG2G

Heard today that Small Town Brewery (Not Your Fathers Root Beer), Maine Brewing Company, and Founders are all headed to Cali. Can't wait.

Oh, and Silva Stout sucks

Heard today that Small Town Brewery (Not Your Fathers Root Beer), Maine Brewing Company, and Founders are all headed to Cali. Can't wait.

Oh, and Silva Stout sucks

I knew Founders was but it's good to hear about Maine Brewing Company though I'm sure as hell not waiting in a line like that Dinner line posted on instagram lol. I saw Mission Brewery jumped on that hard root beer wagon, didn't try it but I don't like normal root beer anyway.

Yeah I saw Silva Stout at a store nearby but didn't bother, can't believe they're charging that much for a beer that isn't even entirely barrel-aged. I'm not buying the "blending the fresh beer in to meld the flavors" bullshit.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
just had that Chimay for the first time last week, so nice. hope we see it on shelves more now.

A bottle shop nearby me actually drive to Chimay themselves 2 times a year to buy straight from the monastery. A Belgian beer run of sorts, they pick up beer left and right. I asked them if they could bring Doree with them and now it has a permanent spot on their shelves :). The Westmalle is still harder to find.

codhand

A bottle shop nearby me actually drive to Chimay themselves 2 times a year to buy straight from the monastery. A Belgian beer run of sorts, they pick up beer left and right. I asked them if they could bring Doree with them and now it has a permanent spot on their shelves :). The Westmalle is still harder to find.

never had the Westmalle extra, but Bernardus extra recently came to our state, and is great, maybe my second favorite Bernardus after 12

codhand

I think I like dogfish Head's lower tier experiments more than their mainstays. Namaste, Chicory Stout, Sahti, and Theobroma.

i guess i like their specialty 12oz bottle releases more than there specialty 24oz releases

i got a box of ww stouts and 120 mins, i wish they would hurry up and be ten years old! that black and tan idea has me wanting to say fuck it and try it though

some DFH beers i like

burton baton
palo santo
raison d'dextra
beer thousand

big bottle stuff is tougher
Bitches Brew is good

My new favorite!

Brofist! Though it isn't my fav, it is in my top 5. I also think Cigar City secretly changed the recipe around a year ago... it began to taste a bit different--better.

Have you tried Bell's Two Hearted?

Oh, since we are on the subject of Dogfish, 120 is my favorite, no question. Just massive...

HiResDes

Yo the Raisin is on point forgot about it and I didn't get to try Burton, but it sounded great, but I didn't want to succumb to hype at that moment.

I recently picked up the Rivertown Berliner and a bomber of this Stout called Black Xantus... Will review later.

codhand

Yo the Raisin is on point forgot about it and I didn't get to try Burton, but it sounded great, but I didn't want to succumb to hype at that moment.

I recently picked up the Rivertown Berliner and a bomber of this Stout called Black Xantus... Will review later.

im still sitting on the geuze you sent me, will pop soon and post impressions,

nice to have sun shining for lighter beers

kolsch
berliners
goses
geuzes

Linius

Bought some Newcastle Brown Ale, curious to find out what it's like. I mostly picked it because I like the design of the bottle, and it's clear glass :p

Bacon

Bought some Newcastle Brown Ale, curious to find out what it's like. I mostly picked it because I like the design of the bottle, and it's clear glass :p

It's pretty inoffensive. Standard brown ale. I agree I like the bottle design as well. Not often you see a darker beer in a clear bottle

HiResDes

Very very easy to drink, nice session beer to have, especially if you're gonna be around bros and don't wanna offend them with your beer snobbery.

Xun

People in here will probably call it shit since it's a lager, but here's what I just had:

F48URIJ.jpg

I bought it along with other German beers recently (which you can't get here).

It certainly takes me back to drinking in Munich.

Try a mild mannered one.

It helps if you have buddies that do love them. That way they can give you a taste of something and you're not potentially wasting a 6 pack/bomber. Beer is slowly growing on a friend of mine because we pour her a little bit of ours each time.
I'll definitely explore a bit more with them, but I'll probably go with half pints at first.

Linius

Very very easy to drink, nice session beer to have, especially if you're gonna be around bros and don't wanna offend them with your beer snobbery.

I read it's actually considered a worker's beer in the UK. But as of recently it got adopted by hip young men abroad to show off they know beer :p

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I read it's actually considered a worker's beer in the UK. But as of recently it got adopted by hip young men abroad to show off they know beer :p

It's a bit in the same vein as those 'oud bruin' beers every major Dutch brewery has in their line-up but which you never hear them talk about. It's not really my thing, too sugary. But could be I only had weak examples of the style.

overcast

Just broke into the first Monk's Blood. It taste very similar to Mad Tree Thunder Snow if you've had that. Which is a Spiced Scottish Ale.

This is a Belgian Dark Ale, also spiced.

Des you'd probably like this.
Sounds delicious man.

I had 3 beers recently.

Black Market - Seek and Destroy (Smoked Quadruple IPA): This title scared the shit out of me honestly. It was actually quite good. Hops with a lingering smokey flavor. Like barbecued. Haven't had that in a beer really. Sounds gross, but it is warming. Not overly hoppy, but it was quite strong in alcohol taste. It was 12.7% though. Liked it more than I thought.

Dogfish Head - Aprihop: A pretty good floral IPA, but the Apricots add to it in such a tasty way. Really enjoyable. The Apricots stand out, but aren't overpowering.. whether you like that aspect or not is up to you.

Bell's - Expedition Stout: Holy shit this is good. Drinking it right now. Smooth and rich, great stout!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Omnipollo's Mazarin. Gotta admit, sorta bought it because of the beautiful label, but it was actually a really enjoyable pale ale.

17010731950_396f6710d0_n.jpg

HiResDes

I got too drunk and forgot to do an untapped for all the beer I had but Black Xantus definitely stood out.

The smell is extraordinary, like chestnuts roasting on an open fire with some caramel and coffee notes. Pours quite black with very little light peaking through. The mouthfeel is quite thick and syrupy. The taste is quite sweet initially, reminding of some of Southern Tiers offerings, but it has a much cleaner less lingering finish that dissipates off of the palette fairly quickly. Taste is like the smell chestnuts, carmel, vanilla, and the roasted malt come through the strongest for me. Has a slightly oaky quality as well and the 11 percent is completely hidden to the point of being dangerous. Siberian Night and Boris would taste boozy in comparison, but it loses a bit of complexity as a result. Phenomenal dessert brew nonetheless.

Milchjon

Omnipollo's Mazarin. Gotta admit, sorta bought it because of the beautiful label, but it was actually a really enjoyable pale ale.

17010731950_396f6710d0_n.jpg

If you ever get your hands on their Nebuchadnezzar...

Had it the same night as Heady Topper, and it didn't come in too far behind in comparison. Great, great beer.

andylsun

People in here will probably call it shit since it's a lager, but here's what I just had:

I bought it along with other German beers recently (which you can't get here).

It certainly takes me back to drinking in Munich.

I'll definitely explore a bit more with them, but I'll probably go with half pints at first.

Nothing wrong with good German lager. No one should give you crap about that beer at all.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Omnipollo is the shit, they just opened a brick oven pizza joint in Sweeden, that looks amazing!

i should getting some glassware of theirs soon.

All their labels are cool af too

http://www.omnipollo.com/beer

Damn, they have amazing stuff indeed! I got the Mazarin and Leon beer. But their 'Free Beer' design is kick-ass too. Hopefully I'll stumble upon their beers again sometime.

Edit: okay, this is the weirdest thing ever. Ikea might start selling Omnipollo and Närke Kulturbryggeri beers in my country.

ShinAmano

Dark Lord Day Role Call!

I am Group A...will be bringing a bunch of Richmond/VA beers up to share and trade. Would love to crack some with GAF friends.

Hit me up!

Milchjon

Damn, they have amazing stuff indeed! I got the Mazarin and Leon beer. But their 'Free Beer' design is kick-ass too. Hopefully I'll stumble upon their beers again sometime.

Edit: okay, this is the weirdest thing ever. Ikea might start selling Omnipollo and Närke Kulturbryggeri beers in my country.

WTF, link pls

Linius

I had an Ikea branded beer when I was at Ikea a month a go. Tomorrow Ikea will finally deliver my furniture so I can move out to my own place. Gonna need some proper beer glasses of my own now. Don't think my dad will allow me to snatch those with me lol.

EDIT

http://biernetwerk.nl/ikea-start-met-verkoop-van-zweeds-craft-beer/

That's cool! Love that the beer culture is growing.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Dark Lord Day Role Call!

I am Group A...will be bringing a bunch of Richmond/VA beers up to share and trade. Would love to crack some with GAF friends.

Hit me up!

Group A as well, coming from Nashville with lots of stuff from anywhere but Nashville.

injurai

Banned
welp it's been a while, but I finally just deferred to some usual picks today

can't always be trying a new brew each week, Dirty Bastard has never lead me wrong

I got really lucky with that GOT Dark Saison last time I went out. Because they are all gone. I actually didn't pull it off the shelf I snagged it out of a shipping crate of them that was on a stocking cart.

Top Bottom