• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Going to hit up Bootleggers or The Bruery in a week or 2 (Anaheim, CA). Anyone been?

Yeah I'd skip Bootleggers as well, never liked a beer I had from them. Definitely hit up The Bruery but also maybe check out Noble Ale Works or Bottle Logic too while you're in Anaheim (if they're nowhere near the others I'm sorry, my knowledge of the area is terrible).

Speaking of Noble, I'm drinking a Citra Showers right now and have a Girardin Black Label lined up for when I catch up on the latest Mad Men episode later tonight, can't complain!

God damn I forgot how tasty lambic and cheese can be. Sipping on this Girardin black label gueuze (labelled 2013 so it's at least a couple years old now) with some sharp cheddar. I'm really glad I picked up the last bottle in the shop today, even the more common lambics are becoming a lot harder to find. Hopefully Cuvee Rene will be around forever but I'm sure people will catch on and ruin it for the rest of us sooner rather than later ;_;

overcast

My buddy lives in Fullerton and it isn't that far so if I miss out on one I can go another time. I'll look into Noble Ale and Bottle Logic. Bruery would definitely be my first choice cause those brews look great, but the damn place closes at 10. Not sure we'll get to spend a lot of time there if that's the case.

Milchjon

So Shelton has been overloading my spots with expensive ass Mikkeller and they have so many offerings that I feel as though I must indulge soon. What are the best Mikkeller brews? Also what about Prairie?... Was gonna get America but wasn't sure if worth it.

Mikkeller has been more disappointing than not in my experience. Try the darker stuff.

Prairie is guuuuuuuud. Haven't had a bad beer by them.

Jarnet87

Mikkeller has been more disappointing than not in my experience. Try the darker stuff.

Prairie is guuuuuuuud. Haven't had a bad beer by them.

I really like Better Half from Mikkeller. 1000 IBU was pretty good too. Haven't tried much else from there.

I've heard good things about Praire, mainly the bomb brews. I tried Merica and maybe it's just I don't like Farmhouse Ales but I thought it was terrible.

skynidas

Banned
Mikkeller has some awesome beers. Their IPA's are great, their sour stuff is really good too, and their dark stuff might be their best. They have a wide offering of beers but I think is worth it to try them and see what you like.

Milchjon

I've had some terrible Mikkeller IPAs.
Maybe they just age worse than the average, but damn, at those prices, they were among the most disappointing beers I've ever had.
But yeah, their dark stuff is good.

RELAYER

Banned
I got Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA.

It's like B.O. in a bottle. Mixed with grapefruit and the taste of crunched up aspirin. Horrible.

Might be my first drain pour in a while.

edit: The B.O. taste is growing on me.

skynidas

Banned
I've had some terrible Mikkeller IPAs.
Maybe they just age worse than the average, but damn, at those prices, they were among the most disappointing beers I've ever had.
But yeah, their dark stuff is good.

what ipas have you had that were terrible? and what prices are we talking about?

Milchjon

what ipas have you had that were terrible? and what prices are we talking about?

Looking at my Untappd ratings, I may have slightly exaggerated. Had a pretty bad Mosaic single hop and disliked Peter, Pale & Mary (which I guess is only a pale ale). Tomahawk single hop was meh, Mikkellerberger was meh, etc.

Not the same styles, but Drink'n in the Sun and Gravol were among my least favorite beers from "respectable" breweries last year. Gravol in particular was just terrible.

Prices tend to be in the 4-5€ range for these beers around here. In my experience, To Ol and Omnipollo (and also Evil Twin) have been much more convincing at similar price points and with a tiny bit less hype.

skynidas

Banned
Looking at my Untappd ratings, I may have slightly exaggerated. Had a pretty bad Mosaic single hop and disliked Peter, Pale & Mary (which I guess is only a pale ale). Tomahawk single hop was meh, Mikkellerberger was meh, etc.

Not the same styles, but Drink'n in the Sun and Gravol were among my least favorite beers from "respectable" breweries last year. Gravol in particular was just terrible.

Prices tend to be in the 4-5€ range for these beers around here. In my experience, To Ol and Omnipollo (and also Evil Twin) have been much more convincing at similar price points and with a tiny bit less hype.

well. Gravol and Drinkin in the Sun are really fucking weird beers, don't judge them with those ones.

Try some more regular ipas, their american style ipas are pretty good, their spontan-anything line is great, they have some interesting stuff.

And To Ol and Omnipollo are awesome breweries, I would put them in line with Mikkeller, specially To Ol.

Fuck yeah! Awesome ipa.

Picked up that and The Calling from Boulevard. I'm loaded on hops now.

Drinking a Victory Kirsch Gose (sour cherry) right now. It's like it's not sure what it wants to be. Nice tart cherry flavor with the gose aspect coming in a little at the end. I think the Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose was done better.

Just went to a Boulevard/Ommegang/Duvel USA event at my local spot. They were hosting one of the nine Master Cicerones. I brought a bottle of my imperial stout to impose on him.

Got a positive review. Makes me feel pretty good.

HiResDes

Jungle was out of Bells but the dude told me to check back in a few days. Should be getting more Mars. I got some Barrel Aged BORIS and some Prairie Farmhouse Ale.

Bell's Saturn sounds delicious, one of my favorite styles in affordable six-packs? Hell yeah. I'm gonna be in Michigan for a couple days next week so hopefully I can find it though I know how crazy things get. Definitely gonna try to get my Schramm's Mead on and see what all the fuss is about. Worst case I'll just drown my sorrows in Odd Side Citra Pale Ale and waffle fries.

Just picked up a Stone Ruination 2.0. It's definitely a clever marketing strategy and a pretty decent DIPA. I haven't had Ruination in years so I can't really tell if anything's changed, it's more tropical than I remember and pretty close to Enjoy By. I can't complain, though, especially since it's several dollars cheaper than most bombers on the shelf.

Local store only sold Saturn by the bottle, not 6 packs. Grabbed a bottle to try. Also got a bottle of Green Flash Silva Stout. I didn't know it would be $19 for the bottle until I got to the front. This better be good.

First I have heard of Ruination 2.0 though. I will definitely be on the lookout for it.

First I have heard of Ruination 2.0 though. I will definitely be on the lookout for it.

Yeah I think Stone relaunched Pale Ale as Pale Ale 2.0 recently and is doing the same for Ruination which is a pretty smart move. It's in six-packs (I guess they're phasing out the four packs) and bombers, I got a bomber but kinda wish I'd gotten a six-pack. Reading the description it seems like they're adding a lot of Simcoe/Citra/Azacca which is a pretty nice combination. If they keep this fresh I'll definitely pick up more in the future.

From what I remember they hinted at remaking their 15th Anniversary imperial black IPA so I'd wager they're gonna relaunch that in place of SSR.

Lotto

I got Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA.

It's like B.O. in a bottle. Mixed with grapefruit and the taste of crunched up aspirin. Horrible.

Might be my first drain pour in a while.

edit: The B.O. taste is growing on me.

whaaaat, I remember this being pretty good when I had it, best I had from them imo.

codhand

got some sweet new glassware

SvYk2Ny.jpg

Milchjon

Some German beer shop got Ballast Point at horrifying prices. Which are must haves?
Was thinking:

Sculpin
Grapefruit Sculpin
Victory at Sea
Dorado

codhand

Some German beer shop got Ballast Point at horrifying prices. Which are must haves?
Was thinking:

Sculpin
Grapefruit Sculpin
Victory at Sea
Dorado

never had dorado, the others i think qualify as must haves though, Victory at Sea is a personal favorite. i think VaS is about $15 a 6 pack here,

overcast

Was thinking:

Sculpin
Grapefruit Sculpin
Victory at Sea
Dorado
Sculpin and Victory at Sea are musts. Grapefruit Sculpin is good, but I prefer the original. So I would personally suggest you see how much you like the original one.

Don't know about Dorado, but I haven't heard great things.

Milchjon

damn, so basically double, well the shit is coming from san diego....

They also self-imported, which at this point means that they're the only ones offering Ballast Point at least in Germany, if not most of Europe (think you can get some in the UK sometimes).

codhand

They also self-imported, which at this point means that they're the only ones offering Ballast Point at least in Germany, if not most of Europe (think you can get some in the UK sometimes).

yeah in that case i would try to spring for it, grapefruit sculpin sold out in a couple of days here on the east coast. i heard it's coming back in cans which is cool.

Triz

Sculpin is the most overrated IPA Ive had. It cost $16 a mixer up here in nor cal, Ill stick to the Stone or Lagunitas at $8-$10.

overcast

I prefer Sculpin to any IPA from Stone or Lagunitas I think. Though I love those breweries (especially Lagunitas).

Ballast is hit or miss. Their best beer is Victory At Sea for me personally.

Top Bottom