• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Milchjon

Got some links?

I will be getting the Hellboy ale if it ever hits here. I want it just for the bottle with custom Mignola artwork.

http://weirdtv.blogspot.de/2013/07/rogue-brewery.html
http://www.reddit.com/r/beer/comments/1fql1b/the_short_time_i_spent_working_for_rogue_ales_in/
http://www.nwlaborpress.org/2011/0617/6-17-11IBT.html
http://www.reddit.com/r/beer/comments/r59vh/has_anybody_ever_read_rogues_employment_page/
http://aleheads.com/2013/06/17/we-do-not-plan/

Edit: My favorite. Anonymous comment, but it fits the impression one gets from all other accounts:

That’s hilarious that Rogue says they don’t have a dress code. There is a fairly well-known story among those who have worked for them or with them (I worked with them for about 2 years) about the CEO publicly terminating someone on a conference call because they weren’t wearing a Hawaiian shirt that day…

…While they were working from home

Ask around, I wasn’t on the call but I know 2 employees I trust who were on that call, and it sort of epitomizes all these articles above.

Anyone in Seattle needs to head over to Holy Mountain for their Grisette. Barrel aged farmhouse wheat beer that reminds me of Ale Apothecary, Upright and Hill Farmstead. Amazing.

No growler fills, otherwise id be drinking it at home right now.

Thanks for the links.

Most of the time Rogue stuff scares me because of the supposed flavors. The only thing I ever had from them that I am aware of is their imperial stout, and it is because the bottle (the really awesome, heavy, resealable bottle) was a gift from a coworker. I did enjoy the beer, but it is hard to fuck up a regular imperial stout.

Since then, I have never had anything by them, nor have I been interested. At least until the Hellboy ale, but that intrigues me mainly because of the bottle.

To be honest now I really want one and some of the coffee myself so I will make every effort (I think I will be there 7AM - ish) ;)
The last two years, the glassware was the hottest item there and limits, when they had them, were not well enforced. With a few thousand glasses and damned near ten thousand people, I wish you luck.

The last two years, the glassware was the hottest item there and limits, when they had them, were not well enforced. With a few thousand glasses and damned near ten thousand people, I wish you luck.

That's why I'm thinking 7 might not be early enough... It gets crazier by the year and too many people are getting them for aftermarket profit. Oh I miss the days of '06 DLD (last year was the first one I missed since).

dubc35

One of my local stores has variety packs now. Grabbed a six pack of cans that had: Bale Breaker Field 41 and Top Cutter, Ballast Point Sculpin, FW Easy Jack IPA, Fremont Interurban IPA, & Goodlife Descender IPA.

t-ramp

One of my local stores has variety packs now. Grabbed a six pack of cans that had: Bale Breaker Field 41 and Top Cutter, Ballast Point Sculpin, FW Easy Jack IPA, Fremont Interurban IPA, & Goodlife Descender IPA.
Nice. How much? They two Hy-Vee grocery stores in town bumped their price up from $9 to $10 about a year ago, but added some stuff from Founders, Green Flash, and other slightly more pricey beers to the selection, so I didn't mind. It's been a great way to try new stuff, especially when they add beers from breweries that just began distributing to Iowa.

dubc35

Nice. How much? They two Hy-Vee grocery stores in town bumped their price up from $9 to $10 about a year ago, but added some stuff from Founders, Green Flash, and other slightly more pricey beers to the selection, so I didn't mind. It's been a great way to try new stuff, especially when they add beers from breweries that just began distributing to Iowa.
It was $10.49 so not too bad. A 6 of most of that stuff (sans Sculpin) is usually $8-9 around here.

FIELD 41 IS GOD TIER. OH YEAH.
It really is. I would not be against it replacing water as an essential requirement for life....maybe that's taking it a little far.

It really is. I would not be against it replacing water as an essential requirement for life....maybe that's taking it a little far.

Nah, I could live off Field 41 six packs if not for the whole alcohol poisoning thing.

What store do you shop at? Bottleworks lets you pull a single of anything in a bundled 4- or 6-pack, fyi.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
My birthday is in a couple of days and a good friend of mine knitted me a Totoro beercoaster :)

17027860068_552e46ee69.jpg

ShinAmano

That's why I'm thinking 7 might not be early enough... It gets crazier by the year and too many people are getting them for aftermarket profit. Oh I miss the days of '06 DLD (last year was the first one I missed since).
Any idea how it works? Csn I buy the stuff based on group or do I have to be in a different line?

injurai

Banned
yeah today, i realize it's absurd, but i knew this shipment was coming for about a month. all these arrived today from the same distributor

Well I'm certainly not judging. I would totally stock up in a similar fashion. I've just never found myself stocking up as much as that.

Are you going to age any of them?

HiResDes

So Shelton has been overloading my spots with expensive ass Mikkeller and they have so many offerings that I feel as though I must indulge soon. What are the best Mikkeller brews? Also what about Prairie?... Was gonna get America but wasn't sure if worth it.

codhand

off-topic Des, but yesterday i finally got to try that Rivertown Geuze you sent, i just posted it to untappd. it was really fucking great. glad i got to try it, thanks again!

mikkeller, America is good, if you see the Beer Geek stuff, those are a personal fave

oh their take on geuze, the Hues, is definitely worth copping

So I made an imperial stout and I'm not really sure if it's good. I can't really pick out anything wrong with it. It's just kind of over the top, but I don't really know if it shouldn't be.

It's thick and sweet, but with some good roasty bitterness. Had some medium toast oak in there that had been soaking in tawny port. The oak is a bit mild and the port gives it a punch of fruitiness. More than anything, though, it's boozy. Came in around 13%.

I suspect it needs some more time to come together.

So I made an imperial stout and I'm not really sure if it's good. I can't really pick out anything wrong with it. It's just kind of over the top, but I don't really know if it shouldn't be.

It's thick and sweet, but with some good roasty bitterness. Had some medium toast oak in there that had been soaking in tawny port. The oak is a bit mild and the port gives it a punch of fruitiness. More than anything, though, it's boozy. Came in around 13%.

I suspect it needs some more time to come together.
You can send it here and I can taste test it. :)

dubc35

Nah, I could live off Field 41 six packs if not for the whole alcohol poisoning thing.

What store do you shop at? Bottleworks lets you pull a single of anything in a bundled 4- or 6-pack, fyi.

Cool thanks, good to know. I think Total Wine does the same as well. I bought this one at Bobs on LCW. Besides the grocery store I usually go there or Last Drop.

Cool thanks, good to know. I think Total Wine does the same as well. I bought this one at Bobs on LCW. Besides the grocery store I usually go there or Last Drop.

Bob's is awesome when you're looking for limited release stuff, but I don't particularly like how they store shelf beer in direct exposure to those lights. Last Drop rocks, too.

Total Wine sucks balls.

Jarnet87

Was in the Carolinas this weekend. Went to Asheville one afternoon. Ended up not going to as many beer places I'd have hoped, had a big group with us that kind of wanted to go all over. Checked out Wicked Weed, this bar called The Thirsty Monk. Also went to Greensville, SC for a bit and checked out one place called Barleys Taproom. It was really cool how a lot of these taprooms had multiple floors with different themes. I also went to a Total Wine in Greenville, SC and they had a ton of stuff I hadn't seen back home, but was again rushed because of having a big group. Probably could have spent an hour or two grabbing different things to try. I did get my hands on some stuff from Westbrook, their IPA was real solid.

*maniacal laugh* Liquor Barn has Southern Tier Mokah for growler fills. $20 for a 64oz growler aint bad when it is usually $9 or so for a 750ml bottle. This growler won't last long.

Sometimes growler fills are cheaper, sometimes more expensive. Here a growler of Ten Fidy is $30. For a buck or two more I could have 8 cans of it. Sure, I know it is better on draft and all, but it is a big price hike.

Usually the only time I get a growler is if it is something that is close to the same price or less. Or that I can only get on tap.

Bacon

Sometimes growler fills are cheaper, sometimes more expensive. Here a growler of Ten Fidy is $30. For a buck or two more I could have 8 cans of it. Sure, I know it is better on draft and all, but it is a big price hike.

Usually the only time I get a growler is if it is something that is close to the same price or less. Or that I can only get on tap.

Yeah there are 2-3 places around me that fill growlers and one of them absolutely gouges you price-wise but the other two are much more reasonable. I generally don't get them filled if it costs me more than $15.

Top Bottom