• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Mono is a fucked up beer, smells like an IPA, tastes like a pils.

I really dig hoppy Pilsners. Four Winds up in British Columbia does a Mouteka hopped Pils. Fremont does one with Amarillo. Yum.

how much was the 6er?

$14.99. Ballast Point is ridiculously expensive, but I said "what the hell, why not once."

Soul Style IPA is great, nice choice.

Needed it for an Untappd badge, and didn't want a sixer (same with the Pinner).

codhand

yeah totally, just saw this tweet on my feed

"Super excited that our new dry hopped pilsner hopped with motueka/Saphir is about a week out."
tumblr_mtebc5Vs751qdlh1io1_400.gif

oh and if you see Yacht from Stillwater it's a german dry hopped lager. basically they read my diary

beer_321441.jpg

injurai

Banned
Sculpin is the most overrated IPA Ive had. It cost $16 a mixer up here in nor cal, Ill stick to the Stone or Lagunitas at $8-$10.

What? It's not over-rated. It's a casually enjoyed IPA. People aren't after it because it's a Pliny or Zombie dust.

codhand

That sounds delicious. Classique is one of my favorite canned beers, really wish I could find it more often.

Classique is the shit! i was lucky enough to have a log of it last year. never got sick of it. it's Stillwater's version of PBR, corn and rice, based belgian beer. really tasty stuff.

also cracked that Stillwater rice DIPA which was cool too. not sure the shelf life on a rice ipa, but i imagine it will fall off quickly

980XN2o.jpg

Right on.

The de Garde anniversary party is next Saturday. Bottles and special keg email should be going out today. There were some public tickets left so I got one for my dad. Gonna be an awesome day trip down the Oregon coast.

de Garde details:

THE BOTTLES
Thanks again!

The Anniversary:
A blend of three years of golden wild ale aged in oak barrels. $14/btl, limit 1
Special Rouge:
A wild red ale aged in oak barrels with Montmorency cherries and raspberries. $13/btl, limit 2
Imperial Stone Bu:
A Berliner Weisse inspired ale, aged in oak barrels with peaches and apricots. $10/btl, limit 1
Imperial Cherry Bu:
A Berliner Weisse inspired ale, aged in oak barrels with cherries. $10/btl, limit 1
Petit Lee:
A sour red ale, aged in oak bourbon and wine barrels. $13/btl, limit 1
Petit Azacca:
A wild farmhouse ale aged in oak wine barrels and dry hopped. $10/btl, limit 2
Amarillo Hose:
A Gose style ale, aged in oak barrels and dry hopped. $9/btl, limit 1
Citra Hose:
A Gose style ale, aged in oak barrels and dry hopped. $9/btl, limit 1
Petit Amarillo:
A wild farmhouse ale, aged in oak wine barrels and dry hopped. $10/btl, limit 1
Nectarine Premiere:
A wild farmhouse ale aged in oak wine barrels with nectarines. $14/btl, limit 1
Total for full allocation: $135
Remaining bottles will be available during our normal tasting room hours on Sunday with the same limits applied.

THE KEEPERS
Thrice over!

For our Wild Members;

Oude Rruin:
A sour brown ale. This beer aged in oak barrels that previously held Oregon Rum. After 14 months, they were transferred to virgin oak tanks along with Montmorency cherries where they refermented for two more months before blending and packaging. Huge notes of cinnamon from the spicy cherries and oak coupled with the wild yeast, and a light balancing sweetness and moderate acidity. One of our favorites. Ever.

Beaucoup Violet:
Our Biere Violet aged for five more months in young oak wine puncheons. Why are we releasing a similar beer to the last allocation? The extra aging lends a softer though equally fruit forward profile, with a more elegant oak character and 'roundness.' Delicious stuff. We think you'll very much enjoy.

For our Berliner Members;

Imperial Nectarine Bu:
You know the drill. Our Imperial Bu aged in oak barrels. This iteration was with just a hair under four pounds per gallon of Oregon Nectarines. Big Nectarine. Moderate acidity. Much yum. Dig it.

Imperial Marion Bu:
Hey Mr. Marion Berry. Three pounds per gallon of ripe Oregon Marionberries added to each gallon of Berliner. Red. Tart. Juicy. Our brewer Jared says it's the most 'pie filling' and fruity yet. If that's your thing... If not, maybe it should be?

OH MAN THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT.

andylsun

I'm in China (again) and popped to the local Mall. Was strolling though walmart and found the following

NFqH2mHl.jpg

Brewed for Asda stores in the UK, shipped all the way to China and cost me 12 RMB each which is about $2...

Of course probably skunked to hell with the clear glass bottles. I normaly drink local and will grab a selection of local brews later. They did have Walmart Great Value Lager but I'm not quite that brave.

Edit: just had the golden ale at lunch with some sushi. Travelled pretty well! Tastes good

Need some help deciphering the "date" on a can of Sculpin. This is what I got:

14363 10:11
SC 708

I guess they use the Julian calendar, but what do I place in the converter?

Somebody shared a beer with me in line at DLD yesterday and I can't quite remember the name. It was a dry-hopped sour. I wanna say it had a name like Rimm or Vimm or something like that. Ring a bell to anybody?

Brutal night. Finished off the growler of Southern Tier Mokah, now having the bottle of Green Flash Silva Stout. I wasn't digging the Silva at first, but it definitely improves as it warms up.

That or my drunk level increases and I stop caring as much.

Jarnet87

I swear I looked everywhere on their site for that damn thing. Obviously, not everywhere. Hmm... I just bought this a week ago too and it is already past its best by date. Not fucking happy.

I hear ya. I think I'm gonna stick to local ipa's from now on since I only have a couple of beers a week. If I buy a sixer from some brewery where at best the bottling date is a month or two past then I end up having half of it sitting there past its best quality.

HiResDes

Alright guys so I got a bottle of Barrel Aged BORIS that I believe is from January 2013.

On the bottle are the numbers N/26 01 13

It was one of two bottles still on the shelf, safe to drink even if it weren't aged in an oak cast at low temperatures?

Alright guys so I got a bottle of Barrel Aged BORIS that I believe is from January 2013.

On the bottle are the numbers N/26 01 13

It was one of two bottles still on the shelf, safe to drink even if it weren't aged in an oak cast at low temperatures?

Of course it's safe. I've had 9 year old Stone Imperial Stouts that were still fine. Have at it!

It's alcohol. It might have oxidized (really doubt it), but it won't make you sick or anything.

I had a 2006 Abyss back in February that was really good. Got one left for my 10th wedding anniversary in 2016.

I hear ya. I think I'm gonna stick to local ipa's from now on since I only have a couple of beers a week. If I buy a sixer from some brewery where at best the bottling date is a month or two past then I end up having half of it sitting there past its best quality.

I drink pretty heavily, but I think I am with you. I can get Jai Alai a few days after it's canned, and Two Hearted in a little over a week. Sculpin is great, though, but I am not buying it if it isn't fresh(ish).

I drink pretty heavily, but I think I am with you. I can get Jai Alai a few days after it's canned, and Two Hearted in a little over a week. Sculpin is great, though, but I am not buying it if it isn't fresh(ish).
Word. We've got a local brewpub that some of the beer geeks in town like to shit on because they use extract in some of their beers. Say what you want, but they make some dynamite hoppy pales if only because they're heavy handed on the hops and you can drink a pint the day its kegged.

HiResDes

Yeah I'm not into just packing your beer with as much hops as humanly possible, maybe it's because I'm from the Midwest, but good balance with a strong malt backbone is usually just as important to me.

Word. We've got a local brewpub that some of the beer geeks in town like to shit on because they use extract in some of their beers. Say what you want, but they make some dynamite hoppy pales if only because they're heavy handed on the hops and you can drink a pint the day its kegged.

Some of the local stuff around me is phenomenal: Green Bench in St. Pete; Playalinda Brewing Company. I just wish they would get a decent distributor... I recently spent about $150 at Total Wine on singles and such to try a bunch of new shit, and all it did was remind me that it's the stuff I already drink that's great.

Give me Jai Alai, Ruination, Hop Manna, Maximus, Sculpin, Two Hearted, Torpedo, and Sweetwater IPA (that's my session, lol), and I think I'll be fine. With 120, Delicious, and Hopslam thrown in when they are available, of course.

Yeah I'm not into just packing your beer with as much hops as humanly possible, maybe it's because I'm from the Midwest, but good balance with a strong malt backbone is usually just as important to me.

I like the really hoppy stuff, I guess; even though some of those beers above do have "tastable" malt characteristics.

True. But I am glad for a bit more refinement to the ratings that we got.

Agreed. More options never hurt.

Probably going to check out a new brewery in the area (Cincy) tomorrow. Place is called Urban Artifact and they're focus is on sours. Should be interesting. They will be releasing bottles eventually.

Top Bottom