• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

HiResDes

gmtbGSW.jpg

Omg this thing is amazing, one of the most balanced and yet incredibly complex stouts I've had, though I believe the age made the body and mouth feel a bit thinner. Pours a viscous, very little light comes through. Smell is mostly Bourbon with a slight oakiness. The flavor is silky smooth. Oats, Bourbon, a little chocolate, a little Raisin maybe, with the alcohol coming through on the tail end. Phenomenal

I have a stupid question for you, and some online searches have made me leery. What about floaters in my beer? I know about leftover yeast at the bottom of bottles like some belgian quads and whatnot, but this bottle of Molotov Cocktail has a lot of weird floaters in it. It happened with a four pack I got of it before, and I thought it was just an old pack. But this is a fresher, like only a month or so old and it is still there. What the hell is it, and is it going to kill me faster than beer normally would?

t-ramp

Nothing to worry about usually. I know Sierra Nevada's regular pale ale has a bunch of floating stuff, there's a FAQ on their website about it that I remember reading.

I have seen people's checkins on Untappd showing weird slimy stuff under the cap a time or two, which might weird me out.

terrible

Banned
I have a stupid question for you, and some online searches have made me leery. What about floaters in my beer? I know about leftover yeast at the bottom of bottles like some belgian quads and whatnot, but this bottle of Molotov Cocktail has a lot of weird floaters in it. It happened with a four pack I got of it before, and I thought it was just an old pack. But this is a fresher, like only a month or so old and it is still there. What the hell is it, and is it going to kill me faster than beer normally would?

Either yeast, proteins, or similar. It's pretty common with many unfiltered beers. If you just don't like how it looks you can usually just pour carefully and leave a bit of beer in the bottom of your bottle or can to avoid the floaters but I personally don't. I don't mind it myself.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Had 3:33 Black IPA tonight (picture stolen from internet).

I didn't really like it. Reminded me of a brown or a porter (both of which I do not enjoy at all).

B8C7BbKIYAA9kJl.jpg

Local place is selling 22 oz Lagunitas Imperial Stout bottles for $5.00 a pop. Whew.

$5 was the going price for 22oz Lagunitas stuff in CT. Down here in KY it is about $6.50. Still a good deal, but not as amazing as a $5 bomber. Always a good and reliable deal though. I do need to get their latest bomber, Equinox. I never tried that one before, and they are always reliable.

Funny enough, I stopped by the store for a bottle of Molotov Cocktail tonight, only to come home and see my wife stopped by the store and got me a four pack of Breakfast Stout. Oh, woe is me. And that is after he grabbing me a growler full of Mokah last week too. She may not know what stuff to get me that I never tried, but always remembers beers that I love and will gladly drink.

Now to pray for the day she spoils me and I come home to a four pack or more of St. Bernardus Abt. 12.

codhand

Omg this thing is amazing, one of the most balanced and yet incredibly complex stouts I've had, though I believe the age made the body and mouth feel a bit thinner. Pours a viscous, very little light comes through. Smell is mostly Bourbon with a slight oakiness. The flavor is silky smooth. Oats, Bourbon, a little chocolate, a little Raisin maybe, with the alcohol coming through on the tail end. Phenomenal

got some friends that swear early batches of this are god tier. i had it once in Denver, but fresh. also had 2010 DORIS recently that held up really nice.

damn ive been looking for that veggie choppper too! i got one that i thought was like yours, but it was a stupid pull-cord system like a lawnmower startup, disappointed....

HiResDes

got some friends that swear early batches of this are god tier. i had it once in Denver, but fresh. also had 2010 DORIS recently that held up really nice.

damn ive been looking for that veggie choppper too! i got one that i thought was like yours, but it was a stupid pull-cord system like a lawnmower startup, disappointed....
Not sure you want that man, you have to press down with like hulk strength to get through potatoes and other hard veggies.

HiResDes

So I just happened upon a BP in Pleasant Ridge Ridge with a great selection of things I want:

The Bruery - Oude Tart
Prairie Artisan Ales - Eliza5beth
Ale Smith - Speedway Stout
New Belgium - 2015 La Folie
Deschutes - Fresh Squeezed
Mikkeller - Spontan Cherry
Crown Shoes - Undead Party
Jackie O's - Wood Burner
Hoppin Frog - BA Naked Evil BBW
Dogfish Head - Burton Baton
Dogfish Head - Namaste
Bell's - Saturn

... Not even sure what to focus on, not trying to spend over fifty, but I think I have to have the new La Folie.

So I just happened upon a BP in Pleasant Ridge Ridge with a great selection of things I want:

The Bruery - Oude Tart
Prairie Artisan Ales - Eliza5beth
Ale Smith - Speedway Stout
New Belgium - 2015 La Folie
Deschutes - Fresh Squeezed
Mikkeller - Spontan Cherry
Crown Shoes - Undead Party
Jackie O's - Wood Burner
Hoppin Frog - BA Naked Evil BBW
Dogfish Head - Burton Baton
Dogfish Head - Namaste
Bell's - Saturn

... Not even sure what to focus on, not trying to spend over fifty, but I think I have to have the new La Folie.
Grab Bell's Saturn while you can. That is a limited release. Clown Shoes Undead Party Crasher was pretty damn tasty when I had it last year.

t-ramp

Anybody here had this year's Surly Pentagram? Picked a bottle up last night on a whim, sounds interesting. I think it beat or at least came pretty close to beating Stone's Southern Charred for the priciest beer per ounce I've bought, so hopefully it's good.

The de Garde anniversary party was amazing.

Tons of de Garde, SARA, Modern Times, Hill Farmstead, Perennial, O'so, Rare Barrel, Block 15, Fremont, etc.

Greetings, all. Just found the group.

If any of you use the Untappd app to track/rate your beers, I'm at https://untappd.com/user/mtsmylie, and would love to link up!

iniFvbo6XM2Z3.png

Just updated my list of beers (and one port) that I'm currently aging in the cellar. Only been doing it for about a year now, and really enjoy it.

Typically buy two of each, drink one, age the other.

"If Budweiser is the king of beers, then obviously Bud Light is the shit covered peasant of beers." -John Oliver

EDIT: John Oliver did a piece on the failed Bud Light marketing campaign, and the skit had a slew of awesome taste comparisons for Bud Light. The video should go on youtube soon I think.

"You know your parents disappointment at you still being a bartender? If you made that into a beer, that is what Bud Light would taste like."

welcome bro, and might i suggest not aging the Firestone Anniversary.

Thanks! Oddly enough, a friend and I had the XVIII Anniversary last night, and it was great. What happens to it if it ages too much?

Super excited about Firestone's Stickee Monkey coming out at the end of the month. Last year's was my Beer of the Year.

codhand

Thanks! Oddly enough, a friend and I had the XVIII Anniversary last night, and it was great. What happens to it if it ages too much?

Super excited about Firestone's Stickee Monkey coming out at the end of the month. Last year's was my Beer of the Year.

it's a blend of so many different beers, that it just becomes kind of a mess. it's balanced to drink fresh. i had a Seventeen recently, and it wasnt as good as when fresh.

i need to make a hoard spreadsheet, im long overdue

The de Garde anniversary party was amazing.

Tons of de Garde, SARA, Modern Times, Hill Farmstead, Perennial, O'so, Rare Barrel, Block 15, Fremont, etc.

List of everything I had at de Garde on Saturday.

de Garde
Imperial Cherry Bu
Imperial Nectarine Bu
Beaucoup Violet
Imperial Marion Bu
Oude Rruin
Amarillo Hose
Citra Hose
Ex Novo/DG Wonder Twins IPA
Biere Noir
Special Rouge
Imperial Stone Bu
Imperial Raz Bu
Petit Lee

Guest Breweries
SARA -- Farmhouse Noir
Hill Farmstead -- Dorothy
SARA -- Saison Bernice
Modern Times -- Funky Universal Friend (keg)
Modern Times -- Black House with Cocoa and Coconut (keg)
Upright -- Late Harvest
Perennial -- Regalia
O'so -- Fox and Grapes
Hill Farmstead -- Arthur
Block 15 -- Sticky Hands

PG2G

it's a blend of so many different beers, that it just becomes kind of a mess. it's balanced to drink fresh. i had a Seventeen recently, and it wasnt as good as when fresh.

i need to make a hoard spreadsheet, im long overdue

Hmm, I have heard from people that it's drinking great all the way back to 15th but 14th had started to fall off

dubc35

What's the best way to ship two 6 packs of cans? I am thinking of putting them in something waterproof-ish and then wrap in bubble wrap and newspaper (or similar) in a larger box.

dubc35

I may or may not have shipped booze via USPS before so we'll see...

Worst case scenario I drive it myself, lol (only down to Portland).

I may or may not have shipped booze via USPS before so we'll see...

Worst case scenario I drive it myself, lol (only down to Portland).

What are you sending? Holy Mountain, Fremont, Bale Breaker and Black Raven are pretty much the only WA beers they don't get down there.

PG2G

What's the best way to ship two 6 packs of cans? I am thinking of putting them in something waterproof-ish and then wrap in bubble wrap and newspaper (or similar) in a larger box.

Instead of waterproofing the cans I typically just wrap the entire inner box in a trash bag. That way I don't have to waste a bunch of zip locks.

Picked up an Avery Raspberry Sour today since I finally found it at my corner store. I like that it comes in bombers and is $12 or so (suck it, Almanac) and I'm really pleasantly surprised. It's dark and feels like a more Flanders-y base but without the disgusting vinegar parts. Just nice tartness, a bit of funk, and a shitton of raspberry flavor. Think a less sweet and more complex Founders Rubaeus, or a fruitier and less shitty La Folie.

Sorry it's been a while, I was away for a week visiting Michigan, Boston, and Maine. I'll have plenty of pics/writeups about the distressing amount I drank there when I have the time!

Tunic

Enjoying my final 2 days of vacation/birthday time. Just cracked open Fremont 2014 Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Star Oatmeal Stout. So good! Freaking awesome week of beers to celebrate my 30th birthday. Finally got to try and throughly enjoy Notorious Triple IPA and Hop Venom Double IPA both from Boneyard. Also got a bottle of The First Nail for a birthday present. I LOVE BEER!

Enjoying my final 2 days of vacation/birthday time. Just cracked open Fremont 2014 Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Star Oatmeal Stout. So good! Freaking awesome week of beers to celebrate my 30th birthday. Finally got to try and throughly enjoy Notorious Triple IPA and Hop Venom Double IPA both from Boneyard. Also got a bottle of The First Nail for a birthday present. I LOVE BEER!

What color wax?

Sparkly disco wax = 2014 (kinda meh at this point)
Black wax = 2015 (awesome cinnamon stout)

codhand

X7O5c1T.jpg

smallish haul

the Stillwater is an Italian collab http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23519/88707/

had one earlier this week, very good stuff.

the Schlenkerla is a 2010 oak smoke, special vintage release. supremely excited to try it as you can see.

fresh Humboldt 500 BC... i heard it's a decent DIPA, never had it.

and the Bock is from Schmaltz and is bourbon barrel aged. the Coney Island (same owners? as Schmaltz i believe) BA Bock was amazing, so i think that this one will be a sleeper hit.

oh and the Weyerbacher orange small bottle is a "session sour" im predicting it sucks, who knows tho

good shit, happy 30th too

I got the 2015 with the black wax. The cinnamon part is what excited me the most about it!

Fremont sat on the 2014 bottles way too long before releasing them, so the cinnamon fell off. The 2015 bottles had a stealth retail release. I've had it on tap a couple times, it's really nice.

I also still have a bottle of Rusty Nail. 2012 First Nail aged in bourbon barrels. Aside from The Ancient One, it's the smallest bottle run Fremont has ever done.

New Belgium Rampant is alright. Easy drinking imperial IPA. I've had 2 and now I'm buzzed. It's only 4:00 :-/
It was my jam not so long ago. I like that Mosaic/Calypso combo. Especially good for something you can find at an average grocery store. And it's mad affordable for an imperial IPA. I paid $7.00 for a six last week.

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/X7O5c1T.jpg?2[/IMG]

smallish haul

the Stillwater is an Italian collab http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23519/88707/

had one earlier this week, very good stuff.

the Schlenkerla is a 2010 oak smoke, special vintage release. supremely excited to try it as you can see.

fresh Humboldt 500 BC... i heard it's a decent DIPA, never had it.

and the Bock is from Schmaltz and is bourbon barrel aged. the Coney Island (same owners? as Schmaltz i believe) BA Bock was amazing, so i think that this one will be a sleeper hit.

oh and the Weyerbacher orange small bottle is a "session sour" im predicting it sucks, who knows tho

good shit, happy 30th too
Wasn't very impressed with the Weyerbacher.

Drinking a Not Your Father's Root Beer (5.9%), damn it's good.

codhand

the 500 BC was deec, malty rich, a bit too sticky to kill all 22oz, im still staring at a bit of it left in the mug. the schlenkerla oak vintage is ridiculous. still really smoky, but more caramel sweetness comes through. /beernerd

Apri Hop and Festina are both fine, just not my thing. i prefer Festina if im choosing

they all just have a metallic yogurt taste, i cant do it.

Top Bottom