• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

codhand

yeah i doubt it, i read recently the dude Jeppe of Evil Twin was being accused of putting "Natural Flavors" on his beers to hide ingredients, and he basically came out and said, you have to say "natural flavors" per FDA lemme find the thread on BA

EDIT
http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/evil-twin-molotov-lite-natural-flavors.269042/

i hear Funky Buddha is killin the adjunct beer game. i know plenty of purists, respect to that of course, i just appreciate the variety

Spoiled myself tonight by getting a bottle of Rochefort 10. I try to have one every few months at least. Best not to ruin the specialness of it by having it too often.

XOm0ZQPm.jpg

Yeah, that's a rye barrel aged tripel, in a 19.2 oz can. Pretty damn tasty as well.

Speaking of tasty, Sierra Nevada has stepped up their mix pack game this summer. That Kölsch is delicious and the Nooner Pils is as solid as ever. I'm digging the craft light lager uptick that's been happening lately (granted, Kölsch isn't a lager, but character wise...).

Ft. George used to can their Bourbon Barrel-aged Cavatica Stout, but now it's bomber only. Those were fun times.

Shark, you gotta get out to the PNW. Amazing craft lagers and pislners. Four Winds in British Columbia, Chuckanut in Washington and Heater Allen in Oregon.

Jarnet87

yeah i doubt it, i read recently the dude Jeppe of Evil Twin was being accused of putting "Natural Flavors" on his beers to hide ingredients, and he basically came out and said, you have to say "natural flavors" per FDA lemme find the thread on BA

EDIT
http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/evil-twin-molotov-lite-natural-flavors.269042/

i hear Funky Buddha is killin the adjunct beer game. i know plenty of purists, respect to that of course, i just appreciate the variety

I love Funky Buddha, can't wait till they start bottling and distributing more seasonal and speciality beers. Nothing against their flagship stuff like hop gun and Floridian, but the creative stuff is what makes them amazing. I'm always checking the tap list and go on weekends when I like what they are serving. Thy are having a 2nd anniversary party at the end of the month, gonna be so much hype shit to drink.

Ft. George used to can their Bourbon Barrel-aged Cavatica Stout, but now it's bomber only. Those were fun times.

Shark, you gotta get out to the PNW. Amazing craft lagers and pislners. Four Winds in British Columbia, Chuckanut in Washington and Heater Allen in Oregon.
Yeah, I'm working on it. Started a new job in Nov. and getting married in a few months kind of kills the vacation time. I spent a good deal of time at the Chuckanut booth at GABF, great stuff. Some point in the next couple years I will do a Portland or Seattle trip, but until then, I'll take what I can get here in the Midwest haha.

Speaking of tasty, Sierra Nevada has stepped up their mix pack game this summer. That Kölsch is delicious and the Nooner Pils is as solid as ever. I'm digging the craft light lager uptick that's been happening lately (granted, Kölsch isn't a lager, but character wise...).

That definitely have, those two beers are great, and on top of that I was happy to pick up some Hopitmum last night, a must buy for me every year.

Didn't know this was coming out in bottles but I snagged one tonight, this is really really good. I can't even keep up with all their releases anymore!

trXQke1.jpg

Butt plug, lava lamp or beer glass? You decide.

It was the Keeper's glass for the anniversary party. And honeatly, it's not that different from the Spiegl IPA and stout glasses.

A local bar here started using those. I really like how much more sturdy they are than the Spigl glasses. Much more of an everyday type of glass.

Got a little local beerfest today. I'm in a group with some of the homebrewers that hang out at the associated bar and we've got a booth to hand out samples of our brews. Should be a fun time.

I'll be pouring a strawberry rhubarb berliner weisse. Came out real tart, but I expect it'll go over well.

I've had some good beer at Kona's brewpub on Oahu. Nice exclusive stuff. The bottled stuff we get here in the mainland is "meh," and actually made in Oregon.

Grabbed two Heavy Seas bottles tonight. Siren Noire and Blackbeard's Breakfast. A stout brewed with chocolate and a porter brewed with coffee, and both aged in bourbon barrels. Sounds right up my alley.

Having the Siren Noire right now, and quite enjoying it. Nothing I would break down doors to have again, but damn am I happy I got it.

HiResDes

Jungle Jim's had this weird half Mikkeller Beer Geek half something else that I'm gonna cop next... I picked up a six-pack of Not Your Father's Root Beer and I feel whoever recommended this disgusting shit owes me ten dollars lol. It has an awful after taste and tastes worse than any root beer I've ever had. I would have been better off just getting some Sprecher Hard Root Beer. Avoid this shit at all costs.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
impossible to follow that ShinAmano post, but KBS '14, KBS '15 and CBS on tap tonight was pretty nice :)

I think my palate would be shot after all those beers. We've started paring bottle shares down to 6-7 things in a night so we can actually decipher subtleties.

I'm not sure how much I'd pick up on saisons, lambics and wilds after a bunch of big ass barrel aged stouts.

codhand

Jungle Jim's had this weird half Mikkeller Beer Geek half something else that I'm gonna cop next... I picked up a six-pack of Not Your Father's Root Beer and I feel whoever recommended this disgusting shit owes me ten dollars lol. It has an awful after taste and tastes worse than any root beer I've ever had. I would have been better off just getting some Sprecher Hard Root Beer. Avoid this shit at all costs.

RG0BS1U.gif

ShinAmano

I think my palate would be shot after all those beers. We've started paring bottle shares down to 6-7 things in a night so we can actually decipher subtleties.

I'm not sure how much I'd pick up on saisons, lambics and wilds after a bunch of big ass barrel aged stouts.

Was over an eight hour period...we drank the saisons, lambics and wilds in prep for the big ones. Started with rare and swapped in a barleywine after a couple stouts.

That said...towards the end I would say that subtly was lost on a couple.

andylsun

My lagering fridge died at the weekend so making an emergency brewing change. Was going to do a third attempt at my SMASH Pilsner but as I can't lager anymore going to brew a clone of Thornbridge Jaipur.

I've had it on draft (in Hong Kong of all places) and really like it. Hoppy, no caramel malt and not too strong. Should be good as long as I can find Ahtanum hops.

andylsun

Jaipur is underrated.

The whole English IPA thing didn't even exist when I lived in the UK, so I completely missed out on it. Going back to the UK next month for a couple of weeks, so really looking forward to trying all the beers I've missed, rather than my old favourites.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Had a Dead Guy Ale the other night for the first time in a long time, and I forgot how damn good it is. Maybe all of the other trash Rogue puts out colored my memory of it. Definitely won't wait very long to have it again.

The whole English IPA thing didn't even exist when I lived in the UK, so I completely missed out on it. Going back to the UK next month for a couple of weeks, so really looking forward to trying all the beers I've missed, rather than my old favourites.

I'm not the biggest fan of Thornbridge but Jaipur is good. Have a look out for it's big brother Halcyon (at 7.4% it's got a bit more kick).

Depending on where abouts you are going i'd recommend Lotus IPA from Ilkley brewery or Cannonball from Magic Rock (they're both northern and don't tend to get very far south though)

Having a Stone Chai Imperial Stout tonight. Yup. Tastes like chai, for better or worse. Definitely tastes better as it warms up a tad.

Also grabbed a bottle of their Mutt Brown Ale tonight. I didn't try the Sproketbier last year from the spotlight series, but a brown ale from Stone sounded really intriguing. I think that will be my brew for tomorrow night.

Top Bottom