• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Socreges

Banned
Oh my

obscuritas-2015-product-photo-wet.png

Driftwood Dark Sour. Just bought one. Can't wait to try it

For the uninitiated, which is likely everyone but distantmantra, Driftwood is one of the best breweries in Canada. One of the only truly great ones. They do excellent sours. Obscuritas is their latest - just finished brewing this week.

Oh my

obscuritas-2015-product-photo-wet.png

Driftwood Dark Sour. Just bought one. Can't wait to try it

For the uninitiated, which is likely everyone but distantmantra, Driftwood is one of the best breweries in Canada. One of the only truly great ones. They do excellent sours. Obscuritas is their latest - just finished brewing this week.

:)

DRIFTWOOD RULES.

Please come back to Washington. I'm only in BC a couple times a year.

So, I might be up the rest of the night now. Had a Lagunitas Sucks before dinner. Then did the bomber of Stone Mutt Brown Ale during and after dinner. Then had a bottle of Stone Cali-Belguique IPA after that.

Oh, it was a good night, but now I think I will be up all night. I get tired after a lot of alcohol, but then quickly get wired for hours on end if I go over a certain amount. I went well over that tonight.

3jNNIHAl.jpg

I still can't believe I got to visit Ale Apothecary yesterday. Incredibly small mountain brewery in the Deschutes National Forest 11 miles outside Bend, OR. Very rarely ever open to the public, and this little open house was only for about 35 people. So increibly grateful for the experience.

aoXKNrml.jpg

Then we ended our final night in Bend with a little share and homemade pizzas in the outdoor oven.

Damn I'm jealous of that Ale Apothecary visit, sounds gorgeous.

I'm near Sacramento this weekend so I stopped by Berryessa Brewing and picked up some cans now that they started canning. Really cute location and friendly staff. The cans are all a pretty hefty 32oz, 3 Double Tap DIPAs and 2 Jude's IPAs. They're making some damn solid beers and I'm glad to see them canning and not just showing on tap sporadically in the area.

A2WtmM8l.jpg

Did a locals for locals trade with a guy in Vermont. Impetus was him wanting No Li's Brass Monkey, so I sent him two of those, a de Garde Bu Weisse, Fremont Sister DIPA, Fremont Summer Ale, Bale Breaker Field 41, Silver City Seattle Beer Week Sieben Brau and a Ft. George Overdub.

bhpforWl.jpg

overcast

Man, there were so many different great beers at The Bruery.

Particularly fond of Loakal Red, Saison Rue 2014, Autumn Maple (though this one was way more proper for a seasonal brew) and the Coffee Smoking Wood. My buddy was even given a sampler of one of their member sours (a peach one) that was great. I'll have to go again to get some more thoughts in and figure out favorites.

A2WtmM8l.jpg

Did a locals for locals trade with a guy in Vermont. Impetus was him wanting No Li's Brass Monkey, so I sent him two of those, a de Garde Bu Weisse, Fremont Sister DIPA, Fremont Summer Ale, Bale Breaker Field 41, Silver City Seattle Beer Week Sieben Brau and a Ft. George Overdub.

bhpforWl.jpg

You know people in way too many places

I'm considering riding with my family out to Denver for a few days to visit with some other family. Is it bad that my decision is teetering on whether I'll have time to visit a couple of breweries while I'm there?

I'm considering riding with my family out to Denver for a few days to visit with some other family. Is it bad that my decision is teetering on whether I'll have time to visit a couple of breweries while I'm there?

No, brewery visits are always a good idea. Crooked Stave, Vine Street (One of my favorite places in the Boulder/Denver Area to eat and drink), Breckenridge (Their 6 pack stuff might suck, but their bar by Coors Field is awesome), Great Divide, Falling Rock, Jagged Mountain are all pretty close to downtown.Go!

thespot84

No, brewery visits are always a good idea. Crooked Stave, Vine Street (One of my favorite places in the Boulder/Denver Area to eat and drink), Breckenridge (Their 6 pack stuff might suck, but their bar by Coors Field is awesome), Great Divide, Falling Rock, Jagged Mountain are all pretty close to downtown.Go!

denver is awesome even without beer but yeah everything sharkmuncher said

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Picked this up on a whim today since I really love their IPAs(the 90 Minute is my sweet spot):

HOt9pJ1.jpg

Holy lord, what a fucking amazing beer, and probably one of the top 5 I've ever had. 12% ABV but does not taste like it at all. Super smooth and balanced with some caramel, vanilla and roasted malt. Highly recommend!

Love it!!

Beer this weekend is Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga ale...shit delicious

Lagunitas is phenomenal. I haven't had a beer from them I didn't love.

cyber_ninja

Picked this up on a whim today since I really love their IPAs(the 90 Minute is my sweet spot):

HOt9pJ1.jpg

Holy lord, what a fucking amazing beer, and probably one of the top 5 I've ever had. 12% ABV but does not taste like it at all. Super smooth and balanced with some caramel, vanilla and roasted malt. Highly recommend!

Lagunitas is phenomenal. I haven't had a beer from them I didn't love.

Palo is my all time favorite beer. Soo good.

Xun

Not long now till I'm back in Munich.

From the sounds of things the weather will be good, which should be perfect for drinking beer!

HOt9pJ1.jpg

Yeah, that stuff is great. Guy at a Total Wine recommended me it like a year ago when he always saw me picking up darker beers/stouts.

Moppet13

Just got a bottle of stickee monkee, anyone try it before? Im pretty confused because the bottle says quad but everything else says barley wine.

Just got a bottle of stickee monkee, anyone try it before? Im pretty confused because the bottle says quad but everything else says barley wine.

Last year's was the first time I had it, and it was amazing. Looking forward to getting several this year, and aging it.

PG2G

It was always called a barleywine but when they started bottling it they changed the style to 'Central Coast Quad' lol. Its a barleywine, they probably just wanted to differentiate it in their line up

Moppet13

Thanks guys, If I went into this expecting a quad I would have been very disappointed I think from what im hearing lol. How does it match up against Sucaba?

Grabbed a bottle of Country Western by West Sixth and Country Boy, as well as a four pack of Devil Dancer. I had Devil Dancer before and was indifferent to it. I felt it wasn't worth the price. But, this batch is only a few weeks old, and damn does freshness make this thing better.

Bar near my work is having a tap takeover by Siren (and collabs), had a cheeky couple during my lunch break. A sour braggot (Uncle Zester), and a lemon IPA (Limoncello).
Both really nice, and both cleansed the palate of each other so I was sitting there happily switching between the two.

FStop7

Banned
Hello, BeerGAF.

I just subbed to this thread. For a lot of years I was never much of a beer drinker. Something over the past few months obviously changed, because now I'm really enjoying it a lot. My M.O. is pretty much to go to the beer aisles at my local chain liquor store (BevMo), find something that sounds cool, look it up on my phone to make sure it's not completely hated, and buy a bottle. I do this maybe twice a week.

So far I've figured out that I'm not crazy about strong floral/hoppy beers. Like I tried a Racer 5 IPA and I thought it was perfume-y. I wouldn't call it "bad", but it didn't work for me. I like stouts quite a bit. A well-poured Guinness on tap is still my favorite. That's one of the few beers I enjoyed prior to my recent interest. I tried a Belhaven Scottish stout and thought that was pretty good, too. I also seem to like some weissbier. I tried a Saint Archer White Ale and thought that was pretty solid, for example.

I tried Affligem blonde and (don't laugh) Pelforth when I was in Europe - I liked them both. Pelforth seems to have a bad rep.

I'm actually about to try Gulden Draak ale, I have high hopes for it as it seems to be pretty well loved.

ccbfan

Anyone had the 2015 KBS yet?

Should I age it or drink it?

I found it at a store but they only allowed one per person and it was gone the next day when I went back.

I found it at a store but they only allowed one per person and it was gone the next day when I went back.

My experience with KBS is that it comes out about as good as it gets. The aged versions I've had have been good, but not necessarily improved. My thoughts, if you have one, drink it when you want, it won't get any better or worse if you store it well.

Jarnet87

Was able to get one bottle, I enjoyed it. I've only had 2014 and 2015, and honestly it's hard to remember the difference from a year ago. I did enjoy it a lot more then Weyebacher Sunday Morning Stout.

Top Bottom