• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

3.3% pale ale. 3# Marris Otter, 3# wheat, 2# flaked barley, hopped with a crap ton of experimental pine fruit hops. Awesome beer.

uY0By9v.jpg

3.3% pale ale. 3# Marris Otter, 3# wheat, 2# flaked barley, hopped with a crap ton of experimental pine fruit hops. Awesome beer.

Interesting. And the 3.3% is the ABV? I am always impressed with low ABV beers that cram a ton of flavor into them.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I had the bottle of Country Western Vol 3 tonight. I cheated a bit on Untappd with it too. It has two separate check ins for it, one for each brewery that collaborated on it. Funny enough, each check in lists it as a different style beer, with only one matching the bottle.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I had the bottle of Country Western Vol 3 tonight. I cheated a bit on Untappd with it too. It has two separate check ins for it, one for each brewery that collaborated on it. Funny enough, each check in lists it as a different style beer, with only one matching the bottle.

gotta love crowdsourced data. that said, the breweries can apply for admin access to anything listed under their name and maintain it. I imagine they're just slacking a bit.

Embearded

Hey beer GAF!
Its been a year since a friend of mine got me into craft beer and I love it since then.
Some of my favorites are:
Flying monkeys Chocolate Manifesto
Mikkeller Black Hole
Brewdog Old World Russian Stout
Brewdog Jackhammer
To Øl Sort Mælk

Tommorow I am ordering a homebrew starter kit and a Mr.Malt IPA kit with some extra yeast in order to start home brewing!
I've read guides and watched videos, but if you feel like giving advices please do it freely!
I am excited GAF!

injurai

Banned

Some things I've hauled since last post.

The Stones was fascinating. Extremely unique Quad using a genetically spliced strain of barley malt.

Victory at Sea as wonderful.

Three Eyed Raven turned out to be my favorite of the GoT Ommegang series. Never had an Imperial Saison before, and man it's a treat.

Jackie O's Chomolungma is just a really solid brown ale. Great cheap pick up when you want a 6 pack. I've gotten a couple over the past few weeks.

Now begins a self-imposed dry month.

Ah, the joys of digging into he backs of shelves at random liquor stores. Found a four pack of Ten Fidy that was canned in November 2013. This time I might actually keep a can around and do a night where I do the 2013, then a 2014. I have yet to find any 2015 around here.

injurai

Banned
Ah, the joys of digging into he backs of shelves at random liquor stores. Found a four pack of Ten Fidy that was canned in November 2013. This time I might actually keep a can around and do a night where I do the 2013, then a 2014. I have yet to find any 2015 around here.

Isn't it lovely. That Stone's was a real pleasant surprise. I find liqour stores get less traffic for beer, and most people don't really jump for strange sounding beers anyways. Especially not 24oz single bottle beers. You can get decent mileage in finding limited runs.

Which reminds me, there are 8 Three Eyed Ravens at one of my local stores. I'll have to grab at least one more soon.

Isn't it lovely. That Stone's was a real pleasant surprise. I find liqour stores get less traffic for beer, and most people don't really jump for strange sounding beers anyways. Especially not 24oz single bottle beers. You can get decent mileage in finding limited runs.

Which reminds me, there are 8 Three Eyed Ravens at one of my local stores. I'll have to grab at least one more soon.

Around here it is about finding the right store. Nothing last long at Liquor Barn here since it is a huge store and in prime location. But go a mile or two in either direction and get the smaller stores in ok locations and you can find some gems gathering dust.
A place around town still has some 2011 or 2013 Old Guardian I think.

The place I found the 2013 Ten Fidy tonight still had cases of the Jan 2014 release of Narwhal. I grabbed a four pack of that as well.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Three Eyed Raven turned out to be my favorite of the GoT Ommegang series. Never had an Imperial Saison before, and man it's a treat.
I still prefer Valar Morghulis, but their GoT offerings have definitely gotten a lot better. They started off pretty weak, which was especially disappointing coming from Ommegang.

codhand

looks like Against The Grain's cans should be hitting shelves this week, basically means their pricing will come down pretty significantly.

I was trying to figure out where to go for lunch, and the guy at Liquor Barn said Lost River Pizza had Against the Grain 70k stout on tap. That made my decision easy.

But right now, this is a bit strong for a lunch beer. Still yummy.

injurai

Banned
I was trying to figure out where to go for lunch, and the guy at Liquor Barn said Lost River Pizza had Against the Grain 70k stout on tap. That made my decision easy.

But right now, this is a bit strong for a lunch beer. Still yummy.

I was going to say "For lunch?" But yeah, sounds like something to hit up.

Damn I'm really impressed with this Almanac Farmer's Reserve Pluot. I haven't bought an Almanac bottle in a while but this was tempting me enough and it's probably my favorite of the series so far. The fruit flavor really comes through and even though it's not the most complex beer it's really refreshing and tart.

TNphET8.jpg

Went to Toronado tonight with a couple buddies to split a ($65) Cable Car. We're sitting there drinking it when the owner comes over with a second bottle.

"Some guy on Instagram bought you another one."

Wow.

That sounds fantastic. What yeast did you use? The use of wheat and flaked barley is smart because it adds a fair amount of body to a low alcohol beer.

I leave for 3 weeks in Belgium tomorrow morning. My body is ready.

codhand

This supposed to be pretty good?

im super excited, it was released in europe a few months back, but first time here in the US.

just found out it's aged in calvados barrels for six months, not sure why they didnt say that on the bottle. im not usually this certain if im going to like a beer or not, but i dont see how this can be bad.

i'll post my thoughts when i pop one here soon.

That sounds fantastic. What yeast did you use? The use of wheat and flaked barley is smart because it adds a fair amount of body to a low alcohol beer.

I leave for 3 weeks in Belgium tomorrow morning. My body is ready.

Have a great time! I'll be on Brussels July 1st and 2nd after spending 10 days in Spain. You'll find me at Moedr Lambic and Cantillon. My favorite places in the city.

Have a great time! I'll be on Brussels July 1st and 2nd after spending 10 days in Spain. You'll find me at Moedr Lambic and Cantillon. My favorite places in the city.

Thanks for the tip, we will be in town then too (I think) I'm along for the ride
and beer
with friends. The train stop from the airport looks like a very short walk to Cantillon and then to where we're staying. That works for me.

It's been at most of the places that carry Abt 12 here in Nebraska, but I haven't yet been able to bring myself to drop $27 for a 750 of it.
I normally balk at beer that high, but Abt 12 is too good for me to pass that up. I would hate myself for skipping it. I will see if the stores around here will get it.

t-ramp

So, this was pretty damn good

ZHxv7be.jpg
And apparently their original brewmaster and owner reconciled, so hopefully they'll get their barrel program kicked up a notch, as they'll have Brew Hub in Florida helping make their core stuff. Speaking of which, I should go grab a 4-pack of 12oz pseudoSue before the first batch sells out.

PG2G

Yeah I'm glad to hear that. Excited to see what comes out of TG, hopefully in larger numbers so its not such a pain in the ass to trade for. Managed to get an Assassin too, but it'd be nice to try KBBS one of these days.

t-ramp

Oh, hey, I guess we're getting Not Your Father's Root Beer here in Iowa this week.

Not that I'm particularly interested in it, but I'll probably snag a bottle if it appears in the mix-and-match 6-pack section.

Milchjon

There's a small chance I'll get to have

KBS
Pliny the Elder (on tap)
Stone Enjoy By
Heady Topper
Westvleteren XII

plus tons of other stuff that rarely makes it over here

within a span of a few hours in the next few days. Wish me luck, if this doesn't work out, my trophy whoring ass will be bummed out.

Top Bottom