• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I'm having a Berryessa Winters Imperial Pale right now from a crowler, it's probably my least favorite beer they've done so far but it's still pretty good. I think the problem is that I don't love El Dorado hops; every beer I've had featuring them (Noble's El Dorado Showers, Stone Delicious, etc.) has had a slight weird peppery taste. Now that description makes it sound terrible but it's not, it's crisp and tasty like all of Berryessa's hoppy offerings but nowhere near as good as, say, Double Tap or Jude's. Still a brewery I love visiting and supporting whenever I'm in the area.

Gonna have some more Avery Lilikoi Kepolo once Hannibal's on tonight. Anyone else here tried it yet? I had a few last night and it's fucking delicious, tons of real passionfruit. That said, 12 dollars for a four-pack of 12oz cans is ridiculous. I get that passionfruit isn't the cheapest ingredient to source but cmon, this is a witbier. It should be a six-pack or at least they could've used 16oz cans especially for a beer this drinkable.

thespot84

http://munchies.vice.com/articles/ipas-are-giving-you-man-boobs

Do I need to panic? I mostly drink IPAs (about 6 beers over a week).

there's a reason we have allopathic medicine and no longer rely on 'herbalists' to inform ourselves.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10372741

The presence of 8-prenylnaringenin in hops may provide an explanation for the accounts of menstrual disturbances in female hop workers. This phytoestrogen can also be detected in beer, but the levels are low and should not pose any cause for concern.

kris.

Banned
So my grandpa is a huge beer drinker and loves trying out new stuff. He picked up some Hibiscus Gose by Boulevard the other day. I guess he didn't like it because he gave me two of them when we visited on Father's Day. I've never had a gose before but I might have to watch out for some more because this stuff is fantastic.

Boulevard_Hibiscus-Gose_2014-Edit.jpg

Salaadin

Was in Hermitage, PA yesterday and saw a single 4 pack of Fatheads Head Hunter sitting a fridge all by itself. I felt so bad for it so I bought it.

Forgot how much I loved it. Really wish Fatheads was closer to me :(

I would have been disappointed, thanks man.

It's a seasonal release by Lagunitas in six packs. I think you know what baseline to expect. I have said it before in here, but Lagunitas doesn't really have anything amazing, but they are reliable in quality and are almost always cheap. About the only amazing thing by them in my book is Sucks. And thank god that is year round now.

Speaking of Lagunitas, apparently they're gonna open a third brewery location in Azusa (a bit east of Los Angeles in the San Gabriel Valley). I'm honestly surprised that they're doing this in Southern California and not another part of the country given how dire the water situation is. I can't say I've ever been to Azusa but at least the Gold Line is planned to expand there in the future so it'll hopefully be accessible by public transportation.

Also anyone try their Citrusinensis pale ale yet?

overcast

It's a seasonal release by Lagunitas in six packs. I think you know what baseline to expect. I have said it before in here, but Lagunitas doesn't really have anything amazing, but they are reliable in quality and are almost always cheap. About the only amazing thing by them in my book is Sucks. And thank god that is year round now.
I personally love Little Sumpin and Brown Shugga. Sucks is pretty damn good too. I've heard some good things about Hop Stoopid. But those 3 are my go to's.

Speaking of Lagunitas, apparently they're gonna open a third brewery location in Azusa (a bit east of Los Angeles in the San Gabriel Valley). I'm honestly surprised that they're doing this in Southern California and not another part of the country given how dire the water situation is. I can't say I've ever been to Azusa but at least the Gold Line is planned to expand there in the future so it'll hopefully be accessible by public transportation.

Also anyone try their Citrusinensis pale ale yet?
I happened to find myself accidentally at the Chicago brewery this weekend. And I happened to try Citrusinensis while I was in. I liked it. Bright and fresh. Was catching some juicy Citra-like mango-iness. Pretty good.

codhand

I personally love Little Sumpin and Brown Shugga. Sucks is pretty damn good too. I've heard some good things about Hop Stoopid. But those 3 are my go to's.

fresh Hop Stoopid used to be one of the best IPAs in the country, new batch of Sucks is pretty good too

injurai

Banned
Beer is just not as good in the summer...

Where is my foot of snow, sub zero temps and mid terms during the worst storms.

I'm too happy and in need of hydration for beer to benefit me.

dekline

Beer in the summer is amazing! Perfect on a hot day with some friends. A nice stout around November/December when you're trying to stay warm is pretty damn nice though.

Yeah, I'm gonna crack a ten fidy now.

Having a second bottle of I Love You With My Stout tonight.

I still have one can of 2013 Ten Fidy in the fridge. I need to go get a pack of 2014 cans from the store, and then find somewhere with some 2015 cans so I can do all three in one night.

injurai

Banned
Having a second bottle of I Love You With My Stout tonight.

I still have one can of 2013 Ten Fidy in the fridge. I need to go get a pack of 2014 cans from the store, and then find somewhere with some 2015 cans so I can do all three in one night.

Having a 2014 right now. My Whole Foods seems to have a lot of old beers. Guess most people that shop there are winos instead.

Having a 2014 right now. My Whole Foods seems to have a lot of old beers. Guess most people that shop there are winos instead.

I don't think I have actually seen any 2015 cans. They had it on the growler bar at Liquor Barn here but I never got one. And they haven't gotten cans for months now.

But the smaller liquor store down the road had a ton of four packs of Oct 2014 cans left, but I looked in their cooler and found a pack of 2013 cans the other week and of course snatched it right up.

I love beer in the summer but nothing heavy/high in alcohol. Imperial stouts/barleywines/imperial IPAs just make me feel terrible in the heat. It's almost 90 degrees out most days right now so I'm mostly sticking to sessionable stuff. Just finished up a sixer of Stillwater Classique which is just way too good, wish I had kegs of this stuff (hook me up codhand). There'll be a lot of that, Anderson Valley Gose, and hoppy pale ales like Modern Times Fortunate Islands in store for me this summer.

I know I could always cellar them but I'm so reluctant to buy stuff like Firestone Walker's barrel-aged beers during weather like this, even though I could go get Stickee Monkee and Parabola right now. I might pick up a bottle of Helldorado when it comes out next month because I loved it on tap but I can't imagine drinking it anytime soon!

...?

Does not compute. Give me a nice pale ale, berlinerweisse, saison or Gose on a hot summer day. That sounds pretty amazing.

Speaking of summer beer, one of the craft breweries here in Toledo Spain does a Wee Heavy for their Summer ale. Huh.

Lulubop

Soo Sam Smith Oatmeal is my favorite thing to sip on. Looking for some recommendations on other Milk/Oatmeal Stouts to latch onto.

Also looking recommendations on stores that have a good variety of beer here in lower Manhattan. I suppose whole foods selection ain't so bad

Grabbed a four pack of Double Trouble, and a bottle of Zombie Dust. I don't go crazy or out of my way for Zombie Dust, but it was sitting there on the counter. And it was bottled only about 10 days ago. I couldn't pass that up.

Lotto

Soo Sam Smith Oatmeal is my favorite thing to sip on. Looking for some recommendations on other Milk/Oatmeal Stouts to latch onto.

Also looking recommendations on stores that have a good variety of beer here in lower Manhattan. I suppose whole foods selection ain't so bad

I just had a marshmallow milk stout from Garage brewing that was real nice. no idea of their distribution but if you ever stumble upon it, try it out, it's delicious.

I just had a marshmallow milk stout from Garage brewing that was real nice. no idea of their distribution but if you ever stumble upon it, try it out, it's delicious.

Garage as in Barcelona, Spain? I went there on Sunday and enjoyed their Galaxy Pale. I doubt they distro outside Barcelona at this point.

Edit: there's a Garage Brewing in California. Garage Beer Co. is in Barcelona.

Lotto

Garage as in Barcelona, Spain? I went there on Sunday and enjoyed their Galaxy Pale. I doubt they distro outside Barcelona at this point.

Edit: there's a Garage Brewing in California. Garage Beer Co. is in Barcelona.

heh, yeah, i meant the one from temecula, CA. they're fairly new, opened up in 2013 but from the beer i had from them they seem promising.

Xun

Whilst I like mostly any type of beer in the summer, lagers are where it's at.

A good lager is perfect for the summer.

What beers do your dads drink? I drink a lot of craft beer, but my dad still drinks mostly Budweiser and O'Douls. He recognizes that they're not great beers, but says he is nostalgic for them. I think this is very indicative of the age difference in beer purchasing. How say you?

Tarkus

Just had 2 pints of Sierra Nevada Hoptimum at a restaurant. Didn't realize they were 10.4%. I added another pint of local IPA. I'm fucked right now.

Bacon

What beers do your dads drink? I drink a lot of craft beer, but my dad still drinks mostly Budweiser and O'Douls. He recognizes that they're not great beers, but says he is nostalgic for them. I think this is very indicative of the age difference in beer purchasing. How say you?

My dad drinks the same craft beers and stuff that I do, it makes gifts easy for him. He will never be upset when I come home with a bottle of lagunitas/dogfish head or something for his birthday.

HiResDes

I really really like BORIS by Hoppin Frog, Rogue's Shakespeare is also good but has a much thinner mouthfeel. BORIS might seriously be my favorite Oatmeal Stout.

Top Bottom