• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

tmac456

Gumball Head rules. I think it's so much better than Zombie Dust.

I prefer ZD, but Gumball Head is a very very close 2nd. I don't know anything about Yum Yum, so we'll see how that pans out.

the following and overall popularity over zombie dust has gotten beyond annoying. it's a damn good beer, but it has gotten pretty ridiculous. Three Floyds does so many other great beers yet people that don't know any better just want zombie dust because of the hype.

shit is frustrating

edit: and yes gumballhead is fantastic. yum yum is a nice session pale ale. nothing crazy. super drinkable though

the following and overall popularity over zombie dust has gotten beyond annoying. it's a damn good beer, but it has gotten pretty ridiculous. Three Floyds does so many other great beers yet people that don't know any better just want zombie dust because of the hype.

shit is frustrating

edit: and yes gumballhead is fantastic. yum yum is a nice session pale ale. nothing crazy. super drinkable though

Agreed. And there's always those people that walk into a store and right up to an employee "Do you have any Three Floyds?" like it's the ONLY beer that exists. The only 3F brew I'm looking out for is Dreadnaught because it never comes in (and it's my favorite from them). I also think people just want to check it in on Untappd for the attention. Whalez bro!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

shit is frustrating

I don't disagree with you. But I've had a LOT of their stuff since in in Indiana, and I really do prefer ZD to most of their selection. To be frank, 3F DOES do great beer. They also have a much wider distribution net than someone like Sun King (local brewery here in Indy). Throw in Dark Lord Day and the notoriety associated with it...Find me good, readily available ZD from anyone else and I'll be content.

One of the biggest bullshit issues I have with 3F is that they choose to be stingy with supply. I'm friends with a bunch of liquor store managers near me, and they have all said that 3F is the worst to work with. They're rude, pompous, and give zero fucks about local stock. They know they have good beer and will send it anywhere they damn well please because it will sell. That's why I've been looking for good alternative options. DFH 60 and 90 are my go to easy to find beers.

I'm drunk, so pardon the disconnected nature of my post...I also can't stand the 3F or just type of people. There are so many great beers out there. But 3F does some stuff very well and they've earned their reputation of good beer. But it's annoying that people do put them on a pedestal. It's just fun to find stock locally given how insanely popular it is. They get it in friday's around noon and it's gone before 1PM.

Well, that was a particularly tasty and brutal flight I did.

ba8ef22531a1360b817b81a85f62898e_640x640.jpg

Hammerheart Host Ol
Abyss 2014
Against the Grain 70k
Dogfish Head Bourbon Barrel Aged Palo Santo Marron

So damn good. So potent. Time for Rock Band.

tmac456

Agreed. And there's always those people that walk into a store and right up to an employee "Do you have any Three Floyds?" like it's the ONLY beer that exists. The only 3F brew I'm looking out for is Dreadnaught because it never comes in (and it's my favorite from them). I also think people just want to check it in on Untappd for the attention. Whalez bro!

Dreadnaught is so goddamn delicious. That and Permanent Funeral are 2 of my favorite douple IPAs anywhere.

I don't disagree with you. But I've had a LOT of their stuff since in in Indiana, and I really do prefer ZD to most of their selection. To be frank, 3F DOES do great beer. They also have a much wider distribution net than someone like Sun King (local brewery here in Indy). Throw in Dark Lord Day and the notoriety associated with it...Find me good, readily available ZD from anyone else and I'll be content.

One of the biggest bullshit issues I have with 3F is that they choose to be stingy with supply. I'm friends with a bunch of liquor store managers near me, and they have all said that 3F is the worst to work with. They're rude, pompous, and give zero fucks about local stock. They know they have good beer and will send it anywhere they damn well please because it will sell. That's why I've been looking for good alternative options. DFH 60 and 90 are my go to easy to find beers.

I'm drunk, so pardon the disconnected nature of my post...I also can't stand the 3F or just type of people. There are so many great beers out there. But 3F does some stuff very well and they've earned their reputation of good beer. But it's annoying that people do put them on a pedestal. It's just fun to find stock locally given how insanely popular it is. They get it in friday's around noon and it's gone before 1PM.

Hey, zombie dust is damn good. Maybe I'm soured on it having it at my fingertips all the time and also dealing with people that only want that one beer.

I don't know much about the distro part of the operation. I get a lot of Indy people coming in and saying they have a really hard time finding any of our beer. Hopefully things change going forward with the big expansion and eventually tripling the amount of barrels produced each year.

Had Boneyard Brewing's Notorious Triple IPA (12% ABV!) Friday night, and it was amazing. Need to make my way over to Bend sometime soon and hang out for a weekend.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Dreadnaught is so goddamn delicious. That and Permanent Funeral are 2 of my favorite douple IPAs anywhere.

Hey, zombie dust is damn good. Maybe I'm soured on it having it at my fingertips all the time and also dealing with people that only want that one beer.

I don't know much about the distro part of the operation. I get a lot of Indy people coming in and saying they have a really hard time finding any of our beer. Hopefully things change going forward with the big expansion and eventually tripling the amount of barrels produced each year.

Do you work for 3F?

The problem I have even here in Indy is that even though we're close to 3F (few short hours), what and when stuff shows up is a crap shoot. And liquor store managers can't ask for certain stuff because they get told to (basically) like what they get or get nothing at all. So I like me some ZD, but I also love just about everything else they do (although I wasn't a huge of the Oyster Stout I had a few years ago). But getting it is half the battle.

Unrelated, what other Dogfish Head beers are worth trying besides 60 and 90 minute? I've heard mixed things on the rest of their stuff.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Unrelated, what other Dogfish Head beers are worth trying besides 60 and 90 minute? I've heard mixed things on the rest of their stuff.
Burton Baton is probably my favorite of their standard offerings.

and +1 to permanent funeral from 3F, thats my favorite of theirs

As you mentioned, 60 and 90 minute are great. If you find a bottle of 120 Minute, grab it. I know some on here despise it, but a few of us love it as well.

Palo Santo Marron and Olde School are my favorites of theirs though. Sadly, Olde School is seasonal only, but is releasing in November.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
As you mentioned, 60 and 90 minute are great. If you find a bottle of 120 Minute, grab it. I know some on here despise it, but a few of us love it as well.

Palo Santo Marron and Olde School are my favorites of theirs though. Sadly, Olde School is seasonal only, but is releasing in November.

I've had a 120 sitting here for a few months now. Just waiting to find the perfect day to crack it open.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for some of these others you guys are mentioning.

I will also back Palo Santo Marron. It is really good.

http://www.bonappetit.com/drinks/beer/article/craft-beer-trends-2015

Hair of the Dog just released Adam from the Stone, a batch of Adam aged for 8 weeks in their concrete egg (pictured in the article). Buddy snagged me a bottle down in Portland. What a unique concept that I guess they've been doing with wine for a while now. Weird.

Samuel Smith has basically been doing this forever. They open ferment in stone slabs. Love their beers too.

http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/site/
Samuel Smith’s ales and stouts (except draught Sovereign and Extra Stout) are fermented in ‘stone Yorkshire squares’~ fermenting vessels made of solid slabs of slate ~ which give the beers a fuller bodied taste, using the same strain of yeast since the nineteenth century.

http://www.bonappetit.com/drinks/beer/article/craft-beer-trends-2015

Hair of the Dog just released Adam from the Stone, a batch of Adam aged for 8 weeks in their concrete egg (pictured in the article). Buddy snagged me a bottle down in Portland. What a unique concept that I guess they've been doing with wine for a while now. Weird.

Benson brewing has been playing around with Amphora over the last year or so. I don't think they've released anything thing yet, but it's a really interesting concept. Although now that Andy left, I'm not certain what plans the new brewer has.

tmac456

Do you work for 3F?

The problem I have even here in Indy is that even though we're close to 3F (few short hours), what and when stuff shows up is a crap shoot. And liquor store managers can't ask for certain stuff because they get told to (basically) like what they get or get nothing at all. So I like me some ZD, but I also love just about everything else they do (although I wasn't a huge of the Oyster Stout I had a few years ago). But getting it is half the battle.

Yes I do. I actually had someone bring up that oyster stout recently. I never had it or knew anything about it haha. But yeah having access to our beer is always the big challenge. I do recommend making a trip to the brewpub. The tap list, food and to-go beer offerings have been so damn good recently that it assuredly will be worth the trip

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yes I do. I actually had someone bring up that oyster stout recently. I never had it or knew anything about it haha. But yeah having access to our beer is always the big challenge. I do recommend making a trip to the brewpub. The tap list, food and to-go beer offerings have been so damn good recently that it assuredly will be worth the trip

I'd like to get up there at some point. I have heard the brewpub selection is wonderful. When I was there for DLD in 2012, I had intended on hitting up the brewpub, but the line was gross. I opted to just drink whatever was around. I ended up not being a fan of Dark Lord (too sweet for me), so I've just checked that off my list and said it was an experience worth having.

Looks like the "pub only" offerings are more diverse than I remember seeing, so that adds a lot of exciting beers for me to try one day. But if I don't count those, I'm fortunate to have a friend who travels all over to get craft stuff from a bunch of stores (and he's got a lot of friends he does beer trades with), so I've had almost everything else 3F shows on their site. Nothing has been terrible, but the fact that some are "easier" to get tends to sway my opinion on liking them more.

Off the 3F talk...I snagged another New Glarus sampler (well, the student staying with my wife and I grabbed it when she visited Wisconsin this past weekend). Same beers I had before, except instead of Yokel, it's time for Octoberfest (yay seasonal!). I am a fan of their beers. I wish they distributed to Indy so I could get it more regularly.

LOL. I just lucked into some old Rochefort 10. The main shelf in this store is usually stocked with it, but they have an area near the back of the store that I have occasionally found some old gems just sitting there. Well, I found some bottles of Rochefort 10 from 2010 and 2011.

Yes, I snagged those with a quickness.

My parents went over to Yakima for a wedding on Saturday. Two more growlers of fresh hop.

Hop Nation - Fresh Ego IPA
Bale Breaker - Piled High Imperial Fresh Hop DIPA

My wife and I are heading to New Orleans for the rest of the week. Are there any particularly great bars there? Particularly near Bourbon Street or French Quarter?

PG2G

It only gets worse every year. This year will be no different. Larger, single bottles effectively means fewer bottles to go around.

That's assuming they didn't increase production. Sounds like they have q massive barrel house and are putting that ABInbev money to work.

Though the market keeps growing and growing too.

That's assuming they didn't increase production. Sounds like they have q massive barrel house and are putting that ABInbev money to work.

Though the market keeps growing and growing too.

This too. The two largest craft stores in N. KY get nothing anymore compared to what they used to get. Last year I think it was 3-4 cases TOTAL. One of these stores is the largest by volume in the country (The Party Source) yet I see pics of 30 case stacks in Whole Foods in FL and WA. Also hearing about stores in the absolute middle of nowhere getting regular BCBS, Coffee and Barleywine while these two got regular only. I know a lot of that is on the distributor but it seems more like GI is shitting on the area to send more out to other markets. So much for those stores selling GI products for 10+ years just to get shut out on one of the most sought after releases in the area (we don't compare to what the West coast has to offer). I know that's how the game is played but it doesn't sit well with these stores.

Not sure if I'm going to try and get any this year. It's really becoming not worth the effort.

Bacon

Last year the BCBS in my local store was going for $30 a 4 pack. They're good but they're just not worth that much money to me.

I'll try and get a few off the tap but other than that I'll probably pass

My local spot split the four packs up and charged $10 a bottle for regular BCBS so I'm not exactly optimistic. Should be entertaining watching the Rare 2.0 shitshow though.

No more four packs. Proprietary 16.9 oz bottles that will probably be $10+ each.

Rare 2.0 is so not rare. Fremont did a batch of Bbomb (called the Ancient One) in the same year of Heaven Hills barrels and gave them away at the Heron Hunters Club. Now that's rare.

People figure there are between 60-80k bottles of the new Rare. Welcome to Shit Show 2.0.

This too. The two largest craft stores in N. KY get nothing anymore compared to what they used to get. Last year I think it was 3-4 cases TOTAL. One of these stores is the largest by volume in the country (The Party Source) yet I see pics of 30 case stacks in Whole Foods in FL and WA. Also hearing about stores in the absolute middle of nowhere getting regular BCBS, Coffee and Barleywine while these two got regular only. I know a lot of that is on the distributor but it seems more like GI is shitting on the area to send more out to other markets. So much for those stores selling GI products for 10+ years just to get shut out on one of the most sought after releases in the area (we don't compare to what the West coast has to offer). I know that's how the game is played but it doesn't sit well with these stores.

Not sure if I'm going to try and get any this year. It's really becoming not worth the effort.

A store in DC was the closest to the northern VA area to get anything other then the standard and barleywine last year iirc. I found everything on tap more then I was able to get bottles for myself. They did come around with a few kegs of the Vanilla Rye and proprietors a month or so back as well though, and I was really happy I got to try both. The proprietors was really good and I'm sad I'll never be able to get that one again.

I was told that last year the supply was more limited because of growing pains and it should get better, but I'll believe it when I see it.

PG2G

The price of BCBS is one of those things I simply cant complain about. Even with a growing price, it is still a much better deal than pretty much anything else out there.

PG2G

No more four packs. Proprietary 16.9 oz bottles that will probably be $10+ each.

Rare 2.0 is so not rare. Fremont did a batch of Bbomb (called the Ancient One) in the same year of Heaven Hills barrels and gave them away at the Heron Hunters Club. Now that's rare.

People figure there are between 60-80k bottles of the new Rare. Welcome to Shit Show 2.0.

Hope that's the case, someone claiming to work for AB on beer advocate said all of Oregon is getting 14 cases.

HiResDes

60 dollars for a bottle, lol

I didn't know the Party Source was that large, I feel bad now that I can never find the really limited shit there as I always seem to be a day late.

Top Bottom