• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

60 dollars for a bottle, lol

I didn't know the Party Source was that large, I feel bad now that I can never find the really limited shit there as I always seem to be a day late.

The Party Source also paywalled their rare shit once they started their beer club. Gotta pay to play there. That's why I haven't spent a dollar there since they started that BS. And they did it right before BCBS release last year. So many people were willing to pay up and it's far from cheap too.

I posted this thread recently, asking suggestions on what beer to drink (since I'm not a fan of the usual stuff - Budweisers, Heinekens and so on). I will try most of the suggestions eventually, but right now this is what I tried today:

ImageGen.ashx

And I loved it. Very soft beer, 2,5% ABV, Lambic, peach flavored. Delicious. But so damn expensive here. I also have a Cider Magners Irish Berry in the fridge. :D

Bacon

I posted this thread recently, asking suggestions on what beer to drink (since I'm not a fan of the usual stuff - Budweisers, Heinekens and so on). I will try most of the suggestions eventually, but right now this is what I tried today:

And I loved it. Very soft beer, 2,5% ABV, Lambic, peach flavored. Delicious. But so damn expensive here. I also have a Cider Magners Irish Berry in the fridge. :D

That's awesome. I'm of the opinion that there is a beer out there for everyone. Glad you could find something you liked

Kinda disappointed with all the bars I've hit so far. Same stuff everywhere, Abita out the ass, and almost no stouts or porters.
Bulldog and Avenue Pub are a bit of a trek on foot, but I will try and hit them before leaving NOLA. They at least look like they have great tap lists.

Moppet13

Does anyone know if Firestone ships out barrelworks, I haven't seen any here in San Diego with the exception of a wine bar which had several bottles.

PG2G

Does anyone know if Firestone ships out barrelworks, I haven't seen any here in San Diego with the exception of a wine bar which had several bottles.

Agrestic is the first one to see limited distro, all others have been brewery only releases

PG2G

That's what I figured, but it really caught me off guard, so I shouldn't be expecting to find many others I guess.

For now, yeah. It's the first, wouldn't be surprised to see them increase production of some of the easier/more popular ones and for them to see some limited distro. Typically they hold 'liberation' events for each of their releases, this time Agrestic and Bretta Weiss didn't have them and were just released. I could see stuff like Bretta Rose following that path in the future. Probably less likely for stuff like the fancy wine hybrids.

Hop Trip is yet again a boring malty pale ale. If this beer happens to be your only fresh hop experience this year, please don't take that as being reflective of the style. Deschutes' other FH, Chasin' Freshies, is really hit or miss depending on the year. The Mosaic version wasn't bad last year, but previous years it was like a sweet pilsner. Hopefully the Lemon Drop version this year is good, as it's one of the few PNW fresh hops that has a big national distribution footprint.

Hop Trip is yet again a boring malty pale ale. If this beer happens to be your only fresh hop experience this year, please don't take that as being reflective of the style. Deschutes' other FH, Chasin' Freshies, is really hit or miss depending on the year. The Mosaic version wasn't bad last year, but previous years it was like a sweet pilsner. Hopefully the Lemon Drop version this year is good, as it's one of the few PNW fresh hops that has a big national distribution footprint.

Sucks to hear that. I'll still grab both. We don't get too many FH brews around here, Founders Harvest and FatHead's Hop Stalker just came in, but other than Deschutes there isn't much else. Rogue maybe? Sierra too.

Alpine/GF bottles just dropped here as well. Grabbed Duet and Hoppy Birthday yesterday.

Sucks to hear that. I'll still grab both. We don't get too many FH brews around here, Founders Harvest and FatHead's Hop Stalker just came in, but other than Deschutes there isn't much else. Rogue maybe? Sierra too.

Alpine/GF bottles just dropped here as well. Grabbed Duet and Hoppy Birthday yesterday.

Rogue and Sierra do them, but I've never been impressed with either of their FH offerings.

I had Founders' FH last year when I was visiting my in-laws in Omaha. I really liked it.

Fat Heads' Portland brewery did a couple fresh hop beers, but they don't bottle anything nor do they send it up to WA.

Was excited to finally get a hold of a couple of these guys. Had yet to see it in Atlanta. Bottled on 10/2

FiqI3AD.jpg

You won't see it in Atlanta. Russian River only distributes to OR (kegs only, no more bottles), CA, CO and PA. We used to get them here in WA but they pulled out of the state at the end of 2012.

With that depressing bit of news, enjoy!

I'm trying to decide which one I'll buy today... I'm not into bitter beer.

http://imgur.com/a/wm1Er

Thinking of getting either Fuller's Black Cab, Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale,
Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout or Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar.

Not sure which one to get '-'

EDIT: ended up getting Black Cab and AV's Oatmeal Stout.

At Avenue Pub in NOLA now. After a week or mediocre at best beer selections in this city, it is a bright beacon. Totally worth the 2 mile walk to get here on our last day. 40+ amazing taps. 160+ bottles. Amazing bourbon selection for my wife. A phenomenal place.
Everywhere else has sucked for beer selection, but this place is overcompensating for the rest of the city. Totally worth it.

Lotto

Had a bunch of wet hopped beers last night for the first time. The flavors are almost exaggerated, very intense. It was real nice to pick up on all the different hop profiles. I still have a hard time describing them but most of them were yummy. There was one made by Sierra Nevada that used experimental hops that I wasn't really sure of though, had an intense tire/rubber aroma and taste. Pizza Port's Wet Lamborghini (Mosaic) and Hess's Forty Acre (Willamette) were my favorites of the flight of 6 I had. Really want to try more.

Had a bunch of wet hopped beers last night for the first time. The flavors are almost exaggerated, very intense. It was real nice to pick up on all the different hop profiles. I still have a hard time describing them but most of them were yummy. There was one made by Sierra Nevada that used experimental hops that I wasn't really sure of though, had an intense tire/rubber aroma and taste. Pizza Port's Wet Lamborghini (Mosaic) and Hess's Forty Acre (Willamette) were my favorites of the flight of 6 I had. Really want to try more.

Come to Seattle next fall. Or Portland. The hop fields are calling and 95% of all breweries out here make at least one FH beer.

Had an Amarillo FH over at Bainbridge Island Brewing today. Picked up three new FH bombers from Three Magnets out of Olympia at Bottleworks. Citra, Mosaic and El Dorado/Amarillo. I'm drinking the Citra FH right now, it's really nice.

Lotto

Come to Seattle next fall. Or Portland. The hop fields are calling and 95% of all breweries out here make at least one FH beer.

Had an Amarillo FH over at Bainbridge Island Brewing today. Picked up three new FH bombers from Three Magnets out of Olympia at Bottleworks. Citra, Mosaic and El Dorado/Amarillo. I'm drinking the Citra FH right now, it's really nice.

I really need to make a roadtrip up there some time. I've been wanting to go to Seattle or Portland for what seems to be forever now but just haven't had the time or funds but I'll definitely try to go during wet hop season (between the beginning of August and end of October?) Don't think I saw any Amarillo wet hopped beers on tap over here but there were about 30+ still. Other ones I tried had Dry Creek Valley Cascades, Columbus, and Citra hops.

Well, NOLA was a pretty shitty town for beer except for Avenue Pub, which was insane.

But now that I am back home, relaxing with a 2014 Ten Fidy.

Maybe in a few days I will break open that 2010 Rochefort 10.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wife planned a surprise birthday beer tour in downtown Indy yesterday (Saturday). Intended to hit up 5 breweries, but had too much fun at The Tap downtown and only hit up 3. Got to try like 30 different beers though (I LOVE samplers holy shit).

Well, that was an expensive day. There are two new barrel aged Old Rasputin bottles out there. One aged in rye whiskey barrels, another in wheat whiskey. Grabbed both and the aged Old Stock Cellar Reserve.

Oh, and 2015 Ten Fidy hit, canned on 10/2/15. The 13, 14, 15 vertical is in my future this week.

And ugh, the other store had ten cases of Prairie Bomb randomly, so I grabbed a few bottles of that too.

???? That's one of the least bitter beers you can find. Wrong picture maybe? Wee bit confused. If you don't like hazelnut I get that though.

I read many people saying it was 'sweet'. There's nothing sweet about that beer, imo. And it definetely did not taste like Hazelnut either. Unless my bottle was expired or sth lol

Had the two new barrel aged Old Rasputin's over the last two nights. Last night was the Rye Whiskey one, which was pretty damn tasty.
Tonight was the Wheat Whiskey one, which was better in my opinion.

I am glad I got them both and tried them, but don't feel compelled to go get more to save for later. Although I am feeling I should have grabbed that last bottle of the bourbon one from last year and saved it.

Now, the Old Stock Cellar Reserve, I plan on getting a few bottles of that to save. That shit was godly.

Winding down the down with some straight bourbon instead. Some Four Roses Single Barrel.

Did a vertical of Ten Fidy 14-15 last night. Damn good, but like Founders stout, age is better for this beer. It is almost too thick and sweet when fresh.

This weekend I will probably do the 13-15 vertical.

I just mean nothing could be possibly too thick for me unless it came out like molasses.

I love me some thick beers. Obviously since stouts seem to be the thing that make me happiest. But sometimes it is harder to have a few of the thick stuff.

EDIT: And it is good for me lately that the local distribution guy recognizes me from one of the liquor stores. Anytime some new stouts or rare stuff comes in he is saving them for me without me even asking. He knows how much of a sucker I am for them. It is nice to be friendly with the staff at some places. :)

Top Bottom