• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Salaadin

Finally got some Pumking around here. It's good. Really good.
But I think the Horseheads Pumpkin Ale that I had a few days ago was better.

Finally got some Pumking around here. It's good. Really good.
But I think the Horseheads Pumpkin Ale that I had a few days ago was better.

Now hunt down Warlock.

Best pumpkin beer is still a toss up between Sam Adam's Fat Jack and Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin though, which don't show up here.

HiResDes

I like Jolly Pumpkin's pumpkin offering. Guys I had my first fresh hop beer from Founder's twas pretty good, definitely has a sort of juicy flavor like it's really mouth watering. Also had Ten Fidy this year, perfect thickness for me my man.

Snagged two more bottles of Bell's 30th since someone took the trouble of hiding them behind other things at the store. Jokes on them since I spotted their ruse.
Also got the last bottle of Barrel Aged Old Rasputin from last year, the bourbon one. It was not as good as I remember it being.

Snagged two extra de Garde party guest tickets for my Dad and a friend. There were 187 tickets when they went on sale 10 minutes ago. They're now down to 32.

PG2G

Snagged two extra de Garde party guest tickets for my Dad and a friend. There were 187 tickets when they went on sale 10 minutes ago. They're now down to 32.

I'm planning to make it up there for one of the parties soon. Do you go to a lot of them?

Let me know what you think of the Casa Agria stuff. Did a blind buy of their membership, curious to see how the beer is lol

I'm planning to make it up there for one of the parties soon. Do you go to a lot of them?

My friend and I split the Keeper memberships for this past year, so we go down every other party (four a year). Was at the party in May. My friend happened to be in the area for the August party, he said the Casa Agria stuff was good.

They're doing away with the Keepers, but keeping the parties. And thank God the bottle share table is gone.

I overdid it on pumpkin/yam beers last year, so have mostly avoided them this year, except for the super interesting ones, including:
- Almanac Beer Co.'s Pumpkin Sour (Possibly the most sour beer I've ever tasted. Really interesting.)
- Oakshire Brewing's Big Black Jack (Imperial chocolate pumpkin porter)
- The Bruery's Autumn Maple (Just lovely)

Kjellson

So I don't know much about aging beer, but I'm thinking of buying a bottle of Chimay Blue tomorrow and put it in the attic for a while. Is there a general recommendation for how long you should have one standing?

So I don't know much about aging beer, but I'm thinking of buying a bottle of Chimay Blue tomorrow and put it in the attic for a while. Is there a general recommendation for how long you should have one standing?
I would worry about the attic being too hot in the spring and summer.

Hastati

Just having a kirin lager in downtown Seattle and wanted to pop in and lament about how much I miss Innis and Gunn. Anyone familiar? Does anyone in Scotland/ UK drink and enjoy it? can't get it in Washington state. Very easy to drink, lots of flavor. One of my favorites.

If anyone knows a way to get it on the US west coast I'm all ears!

Just having a kirin lager in downtown Seattle and wanted to pop in and lament about how much I miss Innis and Gunn. Anyone familiar? Does anyone in Scotland/ UK drink and enjoy it? can't get it in Washington state. Very easy to drink, lots of flavor. One of my favorites.

If anyone knows a way to get it on the US west coast I'm all ears!

It's available in California according to Total Wine's website.

Socreges

Banned
Going back to the US come December for the first time in a while. Seattle, specifically. Might day trip to Portland as well.

Talking to the gf about how we can see some live music, do Pike Place on the Sunday.

Meanwhile:

homer2.gif

I'll be back here in advance to ask for suggestions. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Turned 21 today

What are some good intro beers?

My wife does not enjoy beer. However, there are a few she will drink that may be a good intro:
  • Blue Moon
  • Shock Top
  • Leinenkugel Summer Shandy (doubt it's available because of seasonal)
  • A good Hefeweizen
Blue Moon is a really standard but simple drinking beer. A lot of non-beer drinkers like it. Shock Top is almost identical to Blue Moon, so if you can't find one, buy the other. Summy Shandy is probably not around right now (seasonal I think), but it's sweeter and has a lemonade taste to it. Again, great for non-beer drinkers (or for someone who wants to taste a little beer but is still trying to develop their tastes).

I mention a good Hefeweizen because my wife LOVES them - they tend to have a lot of carbonation and have a crisp, light flavor. I don't really know any great ones, but when my wife and I are out for food or out for drinks with friends, if they have a Hef on tap, she always drinks and enjoys that (unless the local Cream Ale is available).

I started with Magic Hat #9, but on tap. The bottle version is definitely not as good.

You're going to get BOMBARDED with suggestions, but I would say if you're not a big beer drinking, avoid anything eclectic right now - start with simple/lighter beers as to not develop an aversion to all things beer. I would avoid IPAs and Double IPAs for sure. Maybe even wait on Porters and Browns since they tend to have a distinct taste profile. It really depends on what you have had or what you enjoy. If you really have never had a sip of beer until now, you need to start slow and light to avoid hating all beer like some people.

PG2G

Am I the only one who thinks Pumpkin beers are gimmicky?

No there are alot of people. I think they are pretty bad for the most part, but there are a handful that are good. I find the pumpkin + rum barrel combination works out pretty well

Just got an email from The Bruery that I was selected in their latest lottery to get up to three bottles of their Black Tuesday 2015. Anyone had it, and can vouch for it being worthwhile?

PG2G

Just got an email from The Bruery that I was selected in their latest lottery to get up to three bottles of their Black Tuesday 2015. Anyone had it, and can vouch for it being worthwhile?

I, and all my friends, really enjoy it. Some people might think its too sweet or boozy. I think you should definitely give it a try.

HiResDes

Where do you live? Most of these have pretty wide distribution:

New Belgium Fat Tire
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Red Hook ESB
Widmer or Pyramid Hefeweizen
+ a good local pilsner or lager

Black Butte is pretty mouthwatering and can be found in most places, seek it out, and savor the taste...I know I do.

midwest.jpg

Got a can of Surly Wet and Toppling Goliath Pompeii today in exchange for the two Fremont Cowice fresh hops.

I was just making a silly innuendo.

Oh. Black Butt. Yeah.

It's an actual mountain in Bend so I don't think of it that way. Plus I've heard the joke a gazillion times. ;-)

I thought it was a legit list of gateway beers and styles, glad someone agrees! Hell, Fat Tire (and Alaskan Amber) was my gateway into beer when I was 19/20.

I can't tell what you're implying with your posts. If you disagree with our suggestions, please feel free to suggest otherwise for him. :)

I didn't like your suggestions to be honest. Too much macro-pseudo craft in there. If you want a Witbier, go with Allagash White (if you get Allagash).

I'd also suggest Boulevard Wheat. Whenever I go to Nebraska and visit my in-laws, it's on tap everywhere alongside Bud, Miller and Coors.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I didn't like your suggestions to be honest. Too much macro-pseudo craft in there. If you want a Witbier, go with Allagash White (if you get Allagash).

I'd also suggest Boulevard Wheat. Whenever I go to Nebraska and visit my in-laws, it's on tap everywhere alongside Bud, Miller and Coors.

Yeah, it's hard. We all have such varied tastes. Hell, I'm giving my Robert the Bruce away because I just don't like Scottish Ales. But my dad loves the shit out of the stuff. So beer palettes are so damn finicky. And, of course, very region dependent. ;)

Boulevard Wheat is delicious. However, the unfiltered nature of it turns some people off (the floaties and all).

Thats why I offered a porter, pale, ESB, hefeweizen and an amber. Pretty varied styles and none of them are super intense or intimidating to newcomers.

I know there's a few homebrewers who float around in here so quick question. Someone in my club is looking to get rid of a an older SABCO system for ~$800. I know it's a pretty awesome deal, but just wondering if it's worth it if I can get pretty solid consistency with my orange cooler / 10gal kettle system. Any opinions or thoughts on the SABCO or similar systems?

Top Bottom