• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I know there's a few homebrewers who float around in here so quick question. Someone in my club is looking to get rid of a an older SABCO system for ~$800. I know it's a pretty awesome deal, but just wondering if it's worth it if I can get pretty solid consistency with my orange cooler / 10gal kettle system. Any opinions or thoughts on the SABCO or similar systems?
I dunno. It's a flashy system and that is a great deal. I've brewed on one once before. It was cool, but kinda fiddly. Also, it's a way bigger system than I need. Very rarely do I want more than five gallons out of a batch. I like the brew more frequently than I can drink it, anyway.

Also, being the DIY kinda person I am, I felt like I could build a more tailored and flexible system on my own.

I'll tell you this. A system like this might make it easier for you to brew. It might help you make more beer than you make now. It won't cause you to make better beer. If you like working with the gear you've got now, I don't see any reason to spend a bunch of money just because it's a good deal.

god damn Born Yesterday is good, missed out on it last year but this is just delicious. I think the Sante Adairius fresh amarillo pale was the best fresh hop I had this year but this is a really close second

god damn Born Yesterday is good, missed out on it last year but this is just delicious. I think the Sante Adairius fresh amarillo pale was the best fresh hop I had this year but this is a really close second

I almost grabbed a six pack of Born Yesterday. Should have. I was blinded by Backwoods Bastard and that sounded so great after a shit day at work.

YOU DO NOT PASS UP FRESH HOPS. Backwoods Bastard will be there later.

Born Yesterday was phenomenal last year, and just as good this year. Easily in my top five fresh hops for 2015.

aae7bf9a777ddd4f291fe1758ada3cdd_640x640.jpg

YUM.

Backwoods either sits on the shelf here, or disappears in a day.
Perhaps I will snag Born Yesterday before going into work tomorrow. Still have Brewdoo I got too.

Spending the week in Austin, TX, and the beers available around here (some from TX, others from elsewhere) are incredible. Highlights include:

- Karbach Brewing Co's Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter (BBH) - Probably my favorite of the bunch.
- Real Ale Brewing Company's Scots Gone Wild (Mysterium Verum)
- Avery Brewing Company's Samael's Oak-Aged Ale (2015)
- Prairie Artisan Ales's Bomb!
- Community Beer Company's Legion With Rum-soaked Cinnamon Sticks - Only one keg of this variation made, and it was a treat.

Looking forward to seeing what I discover today.

Spending the week in Austin, TX, and the beers available around here (some from TX, others from elsewhere) are incredible. Highlights include:

- Karbach Brewing Co's Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter (BBH) - Probably my favorite of the bunch.
- Real Ale Brewing Company's Scots Gone Wild (Mysterium Verum)
- Avery Brewing Company's Samael's Oak-Aged Ale (2015)
- Prairie Artisan Ales's Bomb!
- Community Beer Company's Legion With Rum-soaked Cinnamon Sticks - Only one keg of this variation made, and it was a treat.

Looking forward to seeing what I discover today.

Get yourself to Jester King.

Looks amazing, but about 30 minutes out of town. With no rental car on this trip, they may have to wait until next time.

You might be able to find bottles around Austin, but they go really fast. My parents have friends in Austin and they go down a few times a year. Aside from Jester King, they really like 512.

HiResDes

Just figured out that Jungle Jim's has been selling a 4 pack of Innis and Gunn and Long Trail Harvest Ale (never heard of them but whatever) 6 pack for $3.99 so I know what I'm gonna be drinking on my current budget for a while. They're not bad either.

fenners

You might be able to find bottles around Austin, but they go really fast. My parents have friends in Austin and they go down a few times a year. Aside from Jester King, they really like 512.

You can get the 'normal' Jester King brews like Wytchmaker/Noble King relatively easily around town in bottles, but all the rares & interesting small batches are brewery only unfortunately.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Just saw this mentioned in a local newspaper: the MiniBrew. With the price they're aiming for ($1850) this isn't a gadget for someone who wants to try out brewing just for fun once in a while and people already into homebrewing will probably consider it overpriced. But maybe there's a market for people who'd be interested but don't have the time or skilfullness for the DIY set-ups?

Brewing beer. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

MiniBrew is the easiest and smartest brewing machine. MiniBrew simplifies the entire beer brewing method including the fermentation process.

We enhance the accuracy of each brew, allowing anyone to create and experiment with your own recipes right at home.

Brew volume : 5 Liters or 1.3 Gallons
Efficiency : 72%-84% (Craft industry standard 72%)
Dimensions : 28cm x 55 cm x 43cm
Weight : 8 kg
Frame : Light weight aluminum
WiFi : IO5 - Own Wi-Fi station in your MiniBrew
Energy Level A : 15 Watt
Heating : Electric
Mashing : Up to 7 mashing steps
Hop Extraction : 3 hop containers
Flavour Extraction : 3 flavour containers
Cooling : Under 30 min
Fermentation : Automated fermentation
Filtering : Automated filtering
Cleaning : Clean in place, semi automatic, 20 min.
Casing : Walnut wood, brushed RVS and the keg is finished in copper
Tapping : Included
Controls : Via unique app (iOS first)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Any good websites for people in uk to buy drinks from ? Looking to try new beers n stouts etc

Kjellson

I just put an order on pack with these Mikkeller beers:

Forêt de Tronçais Light Toasted
Forêt de Tronçais Medium Toasted
Forêt du Centre Light Toasted
Forêt du Centre Medium Toasted
Forêt Limousine Light Toasted
Forêt Limousine Medium Toasted

It was crazy expensive but I'm still stoked!

skynidas

Banned
thats great ^^

the ones that say coffee etc do they taste strongly off it cos im not a coffee fan

mmm not really. it's beer with some coffee flavor, i'm not sure how to explain it. but i never drink coffee and i like all of those beers so i think that you would be probably be okay with them.

you should try IPAs though, i think that you might like them.

Drinking Gueuze Tilquin and watching the latest episode of The Knick, can't think of a better Sunday night.

Speaking of Tilquin, this blog post about how they operate is a great read.

Brutal release day here in KY.

Stone Double Bastard in the Rye (Double Bastard aged in rye whiskey barrels)
Dogfish Head Pennsylvania Tuxedo (although this was cheap, but it was limited to one bottle per person)
Dogfish Head Higher Math (20th anniversary ale)
Stone Bastard Box

The Bastard Box is a great deal again this year. Four bombers for $20. One each of Arrogant Bastard, Oaked Bastard, Double Bastard, and the new Depth Charged Bastard, which is Double Bastard brewed with espresso beans.

pxleyes

Banned
YOU DO NOT PASS UP FRESH HOPS. Backwoods Bastard will be there later.

Born Yesterday was phenomenal last year, and just as good this year. Easily in my top five fresh hops for 2015.

aae7bf9a777ddd4f291fe1758ada3cdd_640x640.jpg

YUM.

Finally had one of these last night. It was alright, but I don't think it's a top 5 fresh hop IPA for me, maybe just outside of the top 5.

1. Swamp Head Gainesville Green
2. Sixpoint Sensi
3. Founders Harvest Ale
4. Terrapin So Fresh, So Green
5. Sierra Nevada Celebration

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Lunch pickups:

1. Tin Man Damascene Apricot Sour - had this on tap a while back and loved it. Very good, but not an "everyday" beer.
2. Some Hefeweizen I can't remember the name.
3. 3F Gumball Head
4. 3F Alpha Kong bomber - I'm worried about this one because the taste profile seems to be all over the place.
5. Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail Single Simcoe Hop Edition - I didn't realize this was different from the rotating bottle. Just grabbed it because I've never had it. Excited about it, but at 13%, it'll be tough to solo.

HiResDes

Celebration isn't that great to me doesn't really stand out too much from their other offerings, I probably would rather have a torpedo, but I'm not crazy about most of their IPAs.

Beers acquired today:

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.'s Ovila Abbey Golden w/ Pomegranate
Brouwerij Verhaeghe's Duchesse de Bourgogne
Seven Brides Brewing's Becky's Black Cat Porter
Black Isle's Organic Oatmeal Stout
Breakside Brewery's La Tormenta
The Bruery's 8 Maids A Milking
Epic Brewing's Big Bad Baptist
Firestone's Velvet Merkin

Stone did a collab with Bale Breaker called Sorry Not Sorry. BB is from Moxee, WA and is situated on a hop farm. They're the farmers who first grew Simcoe. Very cool to see them get some national attention.

Top Bottom