• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

My wife is in Boston for work, she snagged me some Night Shift Whirlpool and Awake cans, and a bomber of Pretty Things' East Kent Saison. Probably my last PT beer. :-(

Enjoying a can of Sixpoint's Global Warmer again tonight. Do love me some red ales, but they seem to be few and far between.

What are some good red ales you all would recommend that I might be able to get in southern Kentucky? I think the last one I found was Lagunita's Imperial Red.

Enjoying a can of Sixpoint's Global Warmer again tonight. Do love me some red ales, but they seem to be few and far between.

What are some good red ales you all would recommend that I might be able to get in southern Kentucky? I think the last one I found was Lagunita's Imperial Red.

Great Lakes Nosferatu? Probably gone by now. I know Ballast Point just came into KY so maybe Tongue Buckler if it's available. Or you could just drink all the Sculpin you can find.

Great Lakes Nosferatu? Probably gone by now. I know Ballast Point just came into KY so maybe Tongue Buckler if it's available. Or you could just drink all the Sculpin you can find.

Derp! Got Nosferatu last year but didn't this year. It is still easily found. And Sculpin and Grapefruit Sculpin just showed up here last Thursday.

injurai

Banned
Nosferatu is good. I think I picked it up first in an off season. I did pick up some Blackout Stout this year. But I've been moving towards less sweet stouts recently.

Land Grant Beard Crumbs is great, it's an Oatmeal Raisin Stout. It has a slight dry tinge to it, and sweetness profile is right about where I'd want it to be. It's just light enough that you could have a couple of them, but rich enough that you could stop after one. Though it's not quite session status, it sits at 7.3 abv.

If you see Habanero Sculpin, run. Shit is hot fire.

Only beers with chiles in it that I bother with are Prairie Bomb and Stone Xocoveza. And in those the chile is very subdued or almost nonexistent.

Nosferatu is good. I think I picked it up first in an off season. I did pick up some Blackout Stout this year. But I've been moving towards less sweet stouts recently.

Land Grant Beard Crumbs is great, it's an Oatmeal Raisin Stout. It has a slight dry tinge to it, and sweetness profile is right about where I'd want it to be. It's just light enough that you could have a couple of them, but rich enough that you could stop after one. Though it's not quite session status, it sits at 7.3 abv.
Blackout Stout was good. They had it at the growler bar here last year and a growler was a couple bucks less than a 4 pack. Hoping to see that happen again.

Only beers with chiles in it that I bother with are Prairie Bomb and Stone Xocoveza. And in those the chile is very subdued or almost nonexistent.
I actually really like Habanero Sculpin. It's pretty hot, but it's also got a nice fruity note. I find habanero does that. I did a habanero rye porter a while back that had some of the same kind of thing.

Lotto

What's the most any of you have spent on a single beer? I think today might be the most (~$40 each) for 4 different beers. I had Duck Duck Gooze before at the Lost Abbey tasting room and it was one of the best beers I've ever had. I don't think I'll ever spend that much on a beer ever again but I feel it's worth it.

HiResDes

Where can I get this?
Not sure man, should be easier on the west-coast though forreal
The more beer I drink, I really find that I don't like most European stuff.

What's out there thats good/I should try? Don't really like wheat beer, basically like a good IPA/stout.

edit: Wasn't a fan of fireside chat btw.
Belgian Strong Ales, Tripels, Quads, and everything else are incredible dude.

Man, you really need to get over to my house and I can open up the cellar for you. You'd be able to knock a lot of "wants" off your list. If it's nice again this weekend I'll be firing up the smoker and you're more than welcome to head over.
Man if I can get the okay from the girl I'd absolutely love to

Clown Shoes' Rex my man.

11902585_10153463445202752_2837400494294730087_n.jpg

What's the most any of you have spent on a single beer? I think today might be the most (~$40 each) for 4 different beers. I had Duck Duck Gooze before at the Lost Abbey tasting room and it was one of the best beers I've ever had. I don't think I'll ever spend that much on a beer ever again but I feel it's worth it.
Samuel Adams Utopias.

False alarm, they managed to not bring any of the announced intriguing stuff besides Xocoveza.

Idiots. That's the 3rd time in 4 months that they couldn't manage to bring the amount or type of beer that they announced to Hamburg. All that bombast and faux-Jesus acting and they can't do the most basic things.

I can imagine that's frustrating. But if it is any consolation, I just picked up a 6 pack of Xocoveza and I think it is phenomenal. If you can manage to grab a pint or two, I'd recommend running for it

Probably $35-$40 on an Ale Apothecary 750ml.

Not sure man, should be easier on the west-coast though forreal

Belgian Strong Ales, Tripels, Quads, and everything else are incredible dude.

Man if I can get the okay from the girl I'd absolutely love to

Clown Shoes' Rex my man.

11902585_10153463445202752_2837400494294730087_n.jpg
No Clown Shoes here. :(

I miss Galactica by them.

My wife and I are taking our daughter to Disneyland in February. I'll probably have time to visit one or two breweries, was thinking Bottle Logic and The Bruery. Any suggestions?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I really want to try Pliny the Elder and Heady Topper. Anyone able to get any want to trade for some 3F stuff? :p

E: I MAY be able to get an Upland Sour for trade bait, too. But no promises.

E2: I also have regular access to local stuff from Sun King and Tin Man. Also New Day Meadery, but their offerings change regularly. Basically anything around Indy is not terribly hard to get.

My wife and I are taking our daughter to Disneyland in February. I'll probably have time to visit one or two breweries, was thinking Bottle Logic and The Bruery. Any suggestions?

Yeah Bottle Logic and Bruery are probably your best bet if you can only visit one or two. Noble Ale Works is good too and I've heard great things about the Good Beer Co in Santa Ana, though. Also possibly El Segundo if you're flying into LAX.

A friends brother is coming to visit from Washington state for Christmas. What are some good things I can tell him to bring over that don't make it far/to the east coast? He doesn't drink so can't offer any advise on what he should get.

A friends brother is coming to visit from Washington state for Christmas. What are some good things I can tell him to bring over that don't make it far/to the east coast? He doesn't drink so can't offer any advise on what he should get.

Holy Mountain, Fremont, Reubens, Black Raven and Bale Breaker all bottle or can their beer.

HiResDes

Local liquor store just got the new Stone/Sierra Nevada collaboration, I was gonna cop, but the description threw me off a bit:

STONE said:
A California collaboration blend of dry-hopped IPA and barrel-aged IPA
FIRST RELEASE: December 7, 2015
For many, California is considered an epicenter for brewing innovation, particularly where hoppy IPAs are concerned. We teamed up with longtime craft compatriots and mutual hop admirers Sierra Nevada to create a truly one-of-a-kind IPA. This special-edition beer conveys the true character of collaboration with touches of inventiveness and creativity. Two batches of an IPA were brewed and expertly blended to craft this multilayered beer. The first batch was split down the middle, with 50% being aged in gin-infused bourbon barrels and the remaining half aged in rye whiskey barrels. These beers were blended with the fresh second batch of IPA, which was generously dry-hopped to impart rich aromas to accompany the citrusy, piney, woody, herbaceous flavors achieved from this truly one-of-a-kind collaboration.

Also they had bottles of this amazing sounding red ale by Maine Beer Company called Zoe:

10382878_10152448900297752_9642643654983266_n-720x460.jpg

HiResDes

I've seen collabs before, they usually go pretty well.

Not talking about the collab, but the methods that went into making the beer. So let's sum up what I'm reading half of the beer is aged in gin infused bourbon barrels, the other in rye whiskey barrels, then that resulting beer is then combined with a regular dry-hopped IPA.

injurai

Banned
Not talking about the collab, but the methods that went into making the beer. So let's sum up what I'm reading half of the beer is aged in gin infused bourbon barrels, the other in rye whiskey beers, then that resulting beer is then combined with a regular dry-hopped IPA.

It's missing some genetically engineered hop strain or something. All I can say is I'm glad someone has the gusto to do such a brew. I'm not as familiar with Sierra, but Stone's is crazy with what they pull off.

It's missing some genetically engineered hop strain or something. All I can say is I'm glad someone has the gusto to do such a brew. I'm not as familiar with Sierra, but Stone's is crazy with what they pull off.

The Hi-Fi Lo-Fi Mixtape was one of their more interesting blends this past year. I want to try this new collaboration, but I am curious how well they are going to blend. Especially in an IPA.

Now, if Stone and Sierra Nevada pulled that combo with Old Guardian/Bigfoot...oh boy!

Top Bottom