• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

PillarEN

Hello guys and gals. A friend of mine who is from Europe is on business in New York City and obviously isn't too fond of the mainstream beers (he's Czech) so I wanted to let him know that in the States it's all about the craft beers. However I'm not from the New York area so I don't have a clue on what to recommend him. He said he tried some Brooklyn beer but didn't think too much of it.

Perhaps there are some specific beers from that brewing company I could recommend or some other beers from the state? Help me out.

Hello guys and gals. A friend of mine who is from Europe is on business in New York City and obviously isn't too fond of the mainstream beers (he's Czech) so I wanted to let him know that in the States it's all about the craft beers. However I'm not from the New York area so I don't have a clue on what to recommend him. He said he tried some Brooklyn beer but didn't think too much of it.

Perhaps there are some specific beers from that brewing company I could recommend or some other beers from the state? Help me out.

Find a taproom that does flights of beer. Let him get a couple of flights and go from there!

hDdI79H.jpg

Peche n Brett get!

Thanks for the info, will look into all of them. Any particular bottles in particular you would recommend?

Sure. I'll just mention stuff that is available right now in bottles or cans. Most WA beer is draft only.

Holy Mountain - whatever is available. Bottles released randomly and don't last long.

Fremont - Bourbon Abominable, Coffee/Cinnamon Bourbon Abominable, Coffee Bourbon Barrel Dark Dark Star, Bourbon Barrel Dark Star, Session Pale (cans)

Black Raven - Grandfather Raven

Reubens - Holiday Gose, Crikey IPA, Life on Mars, Roasted Rye.

Bale Breaker (cans) - Field 41 Pale, Top Cutter IPA.

Sure. I'll just mention stuff that is available right now in bottles or cans. Most WA beer is draft only.

Thanks a lot again. Figured there was a bunch of one time brew or draft only stuff from those places because when I was searching for info on each individual beer they had I was only getting pictures of growlers.

I really do like any opportunity to try some stuff that doesn't make it to my area.

ShinAmano

So since I am finding more traders here...

I have a ton of hardywood bourbon gbs and will have some coffee gbs (xmas morning) come Saturday. ..also snagged a couple Abraxas and have a bunch of other stuff.

I am looking for KDS, Parabajava, Rare 15, Bo & Luke, BA Cake, Double Barrel Huna, Cherry Rye, Vanilla Rye and basically anything I havent tried.

Have a deep cellar so if you have any of above hit me up ill make it worth it.

tmac456

still want to get my hands on some regular BCS bottles. anyone in the Chicagoland area have a hookup? I've got access to Three Floyds stuff and straight cash, homie

Having a bomber of Country Boy Constant Sorrow tonight. It is a double IPA aged in bourbon barrels. This is an interesting beast. You can taste the hoppiness of the IPA under the bourbon flavor, but the two combined give it this strangely sweet and crisp flavor as you drink it. Almost like a sweet syrup with a hint of bitterness. Very, very interesting.

So since I am finding more traders here...

I have a ton of hardywood bourbon gbs and will have some coffee gbs (xmas morning) come Saturday. ..also snagged a couple Abraxas and have a bunch of other stuff.

I am looking for KDS, Parabajava, Rare 15, Bo & Luke, BA Cake, Double Barrel Huna, Cherry Rye, Vanilla Rye and basically anything I havent tried.

Have a deep cellar so if you have any of above hit me up ill make it worth it.

That Bourbon GBS is really good. Was down there for it's release as well but don't think I will make it back this weekend. Maybe the one after this for the Bourbon Christmas Morning, and the Apple Brandy GBS. Going to be a limit of only 2 bottles per person with those though.

Good luck on the trades. Hear from people that the Hardywood things can pull some good stuff but I've had a hard time not just drinking it myself.

Walked into my local Market of Choice grocery store, and they had multiple cases of BCBS just laying out on the floor. I'm aging the three bottles I already own, but I might buy a fourth just to finally be able to try some.

And they're apparently trying to get some of the barleywine, which I understand is pretty tasty, too.

HiResDes

Speaking of DIPAs is anyone daring enough to try this:

0770faf5-11c0-4eb8-b2a8-653b5af609ad-630x472.jpg

Also apparently the Yuengling IPL is pretty good, sounds like a good pizza beer lol

Walked into my local Market of Choice grocery store, and they had multiple cases of BCBS just laying out on the floor. I'm aging the three bottles I already own, but I might buy a fourth just to finally be able to try some.

And they're apparently trying to get some of the barleywine, which I understand is pretty tasty, too.

As someone who adores high gravity stouts, I will continue to argue that BCBS (along with most of the "super rare" beers) is more hype than substance. I would put Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Prairie Bomb, Black Dolphin, Noda Monstro, and a half dozen other stouts up against it any day. :)

So drink it, enjoy it, cellar it even, but just remember that you are dozens of craft brewers out there making equal if not better beers these days.

As someone who adores high gravity stouts, I will continue to argue that BCBS (along with most of the "super rare" beers) is more hype than substance. I would put Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Prairie Bomb, Black Dolphin, Noda Monstro, and a half dozen other stouts up against it any day. :)

So drink it, enjoy it, cellar it even, but just remember that you are dozens of craft brewers out there making equal if not better beers these days.
Here's the thing about BCBS, it's one of the few "rare" beers that's actually not that hard to get. It's limited, sure. But it's released on a predictable schedule and pretty broadly available. If it shows up in your market, there's a pretty good chance you can get a bottle or two. It's got a reputation because it's pretty good and enough people actually get to try it to keep the word going around.

HiResDes

Yeah I was able to snag four bottles of BCBS total, though I traded two of them, and I haven't been able to find Stone Xocoveza anywhere yet (been to at least five different beer spots)

Here's the thing about BCBS, it's one of the few "rare" beers that's actually not that hard to get. It's limited, sure. But it's released on a predictable schedule and pretty broadly available. If it shows up in your market, there's a pretty good chance you can get a bottle or two. It's got a reputation because it's pretty good and enough people actually get to try it to keep the word going around.

I wish that was true around here. No variants other than Barleywine. Bud distributors are killing this area while it sits for weeks in other markets...

It's the first BA beer that really blew me away back in '06 when I first had it. Yes, there are way more BA offerings available but it's still the one I hold them up against. There have been some really fantastic ones but they're always super limited or not available around here. Bell's Black Note (and before it had a name) and Jackie O's Bourbon Black Maple are two that have been amazing but very limited.

If a brewery could brew something comparable on a big enough scale then maybe the Bourbon County hype might subside (not much though). Craft beer is super trendy right now and everybody wants to have HYPE beers and whalez bro. That's not going to change anytime soon.

Anyways, picked up that Stone/Sierra collab and a Revolution Death's Tar. Also grabbed some BA Outta Kilter Scotch Ale from Hoppin' Frog for $5/bomber (marked down from $15) and Stillwater Autumnal for $3.99/4 pack. Gotta love closeout brews (that aren't IPAs).

Des, I've got some extra Xocoveza if you can't find any.

HiResDes

I wish that was true around here. No variants other than Barleywine. Bud distributors are killing this area while it sits for weeks in other markets...

It's the first BA beer that really blew me away back in '06 when I first had it. Yes, there are way more BA offerings available but it's still the one I hold them up against. There have been some really fantastic ones but they're always super limited or not available around here. Bell's Black Note (and before it had a name) and Jackie O's Bourbon Black Maple are two that have been amazing but very limited.

If a brewery could brew something comparable on a big enough scale then maybe the Bourbon County hype might subside (not much though). Craft beer is super trendy right now and everybody wants to have HYPE beers and whalez bro. That's not going to change anytime soon.

Anyways, picked up that Stone/Sierra collab and a Revolution Death's Tar. Also grabbed some BA Outta Kilter Scotch Ale from Hoppin' Frog for $5/bomber (marked down from $15) and Stillwater Autumnal for $3.99/4 pack. Gotta love closeout brews (that aren't IPAs).

Des, I've got some extra Xocoveza if you can't find any.
Thanks, what a deal on that Hoppin Frog, so underrated man. Great brewery! I'm gonna keep hunting around, word is that this random BP got some Xocoveza, wtf

Bacon

Thanks, what a deal on that Hoppin Frog, so underrated man. Great brewery! I'm gonna keep hunting around, word is that this random BP got some Xocoveza, wtf

What are your favorite varieties of Hoppin Frog? I always see them at my local grocery store but have never tried them.

Pleasant Ridge BP and Blue Ash Shell are showing it on beermenus. Let me know if you can head over Saturday, I'll get something to smoke (on the smoker).

HiResDes

What are your favorite varieties of Hoppin Frog? I always see them at my local grocery store but have never tried them.

Barrel Aged Naked Evil
B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout
D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout
Gangster Frog IPA
Café Silk Porter

Well, that is why InBev bought them and upped their production of the beer. Around here we are having to fight InBev to allow for craft brewers to sell beer directly to consumers and retailers. Inbev is spending a ton of money lobbying state officials to prevent consumer choice. :(

Yet another reason to skip BCBS and find another stout. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Swung by the liquor store today over lunch (even though shipment is tomorrow). Got a bottle of Amber Smashed Face by 3F and a bottle of Dantalion by Upland (sour). Fallout 4 + Amber tonight = good night.

Also grabbed a 6-pack of Alpha King to give away at the liquor exchange I'm going to tomorrow night.

thabiz

Well, that is why InBev bought them and upped their production of the beer. Around here we are having to fight InBev to allow for craft brewers to sell beer directly to consumers and retailers. Inbev is spending a ton of money lobbying state officials to prevent consumer choice. :(

Yet another reason to skip BCBS and find another stout. :)

I've been a long time lurker of this thread, and I have to say the support for big brew in here is rather shocking. Although it's probably my fault thinking this was a craft brew thread.

Found out today that Funkwerks is leaving Nebraska next week. It seems like every brewery that has left this state in the last 2 years has been under one distributor and it makes me sad. I really hope they find a way to make it back here, but I doubt it.

HiResDes

Pleasant Ridge BP and Blue Ash Shell are showing it on beermenus. Let me know if you can head over Saturday, I'll get something to smoke (on the smoker).

Word, might not be able to make out until late, they're throwing my daughter an early birthday get together since hers is so close to Christmas.

OK went and grabbed D.O.R.I.S. today. Thanks Des

Hope you like that's a top five NON-BA stout for me

Hope you like that's a top five NON-BA stout for me

This guy knows whats up. Amazing beer held back by terrible label design.

I've been a long time lurker of this thread, and I have to say the support for big brew in here is rather shocking. Although it's probably my fault thinking this was a craft brew thread.

I couldn't care less what other people drink, I just think it is important for people to know that InBev is buying up alot of the smaller brewers and using those profits to try and crush the industry.

injurai

Banned
Speaking about Hoppin' Frog. Frog's Hallow Double Pumpkin Ale is probably the best pumpkin beer I've ever had.

Didn't care much for that one. Too many spices thrown in.

I haven't cracked one open yet. I love 21st's He Said, and their barleywine is great.

Milchjon

It's weird how extremely dependent on "additives" craft brewers have become. I think I read a beers of the year list from Draft magazine, and as far as I remember there was one single beer in there that did not rely on adding spices/fruit/cocoa/coffee/barrels.

I spend most of my working days trying to help people to get over their weird Reinheitsgebot fetish, but it's still strange how gimmicky the overall beer scene has become. Lots of Euro breweries too. Omnipollo, Mikkeller, Lervig, To Ol, Freigeist etc are all doing the weirdest shit.

I still chase all of them

Top Bottom