• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Swung by the liquor store today over lunch (even though shipment is tomorrow). Got a bottle of Amber Smashed Face by 3F and a bottle of Dantalion by Upland (sour). Fallout 4 + Amber tonight = good night.

Also grabbed a 6-pack of Alpha King to give away at the liquor exchange I'm going to tomorrow night.
Had Upland's Malefactor at FoBAB a few weeks ago and could use more of that in my life.

HiResDes

It's weird how extremely dependent on "additives" craft brewers have become. I think I read a beers of the year list from Draft magazine, and as far as I remember there was one single beer in there that did not rely on adding spices/fruit/cocoa/coffee/barrels.

I spend most of my working days trying to help people to get over their weird Reinheitsgebot fetish, but it's still strange how gimmicky the overall beer scene has become. Lots of Euro breweries too. Omnipollo, Mikkeller, Lervig, To Ol, Freigeist etc are all doing the weirdest shit.

I still chase all of them
I just think of beer as being like liquid bread, it can be quite deliciousness without anything, but it makes the perfect vehicle for relishes as well.

HiResDes

I'm currently drinking some Tiny by Weyerbacher and I read a lot of reviews that stated that they couldn't detect the Belgian yeasts that supposedly went into this beer and I have to disagree wholeheartedly. To me it tastes like a Dark Belgian Strong Ale with an Imperial Stout finish, the booze on this thing really lingers, but somehow it only makes it taste better mixed with its dark fruit flavors. Loving this thing. Reminds me of the Boulevard's Dark Truth, but a bit more boozy and less dry/sour on its finish. The only weakness is the somewhat rather thin mouthfeel.

I'm currently drinking some Tiny by Weyerbacher and I read a lot of reviews that stated that they couldn't detect the Belgian yeasts that supposedly went into this beer and I have to disagree wholeheartedly. To me it tastes like a Dark Belgian Strong Ale with an Imperial Stout finish, the booze on this thing really lingers, but somehow it only makes it taste better mixed with its dark fruit flavors. Loving this thing. Reminds me of the Boulevard's Dark Truth, but a bit more boozy and less dry/sour on its finish. The only weakness is the somewhat rather thin mouthfeel.

Oh, how I miss Tiny and all of Weyerbacher's stuff. If you are feeling in a particularly brutal mood, try and find Blasphemy from them. It is their quad but aged in bourbon barrels.
Merry Monks is a great tripel from them as well if you haven't gotten it.

Really, the only beer of theirs I hated was Heresy. Such an odd and freaky flavor to it. I had a hard time hate drinking that four pack.

overcast

Might celebrate finishing the toughest week of school this semester this weekend. Might grab a Xocoveza, or maybe try out something new. How's that Yeti oatmeal stout?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I need to stop buying beer, haha.

IK3pAmA.jpg

E: Or I need a better way to store it. No basement or cellar setup.

Mitch

Banned
Is there anyone in the southern California area that would be willing to trade some beer? Mainly looking for Pliny The Elder. I'm out of Houston, so I have access to quite a few breweries here in Texas.

My Whole Foods had Peche n Brett. I couldn't NOT buy one...

Wax isn't that bad. Helps keep air out. I use a butter knife and run around the bottom of the cap and then it comes right off with an opener.

Surprised I found a Peche n Brett yesterday so I'm gonna brave that tonight. I'm really excited to try it (though I'm not excited to go through their usual wax/cap/cork/gushing ordeal).

Socreges

Banned
Heading to Seattle next weekend! Driving down the I5 from BC - what's the best beer store along the I5 or in Seattle itself?

And is Lagunitas Sucks still making its way to Washington? Thought I'd heard they don't brew as much these days.

Gonna have to find a good brewpub or tap house to drop into as well

Heading to Seattle next weekend! Driving down the I5 from BC - what's the best beer store along the I5 or in Seattle itself?

And is Lagunitas Sucks still making its way to Washington? Thought I'd heard they don't brew as much these days.

If I ever make it to Seattle I'd like to hit Bottleworks. Nice tap list too. And the inside.

Bottleworks, Last Drop, Beer Junction, Chucks Hop Shop, Whole Foods, Bob's Liquor, Central Market, etc.

I think so. Not really sure. Too much good local stuff to bother.

Fremont Brewing, Reubens Brews, Urban Family and Holy Mountain for breweries. Uber Tavern, Brouwers, Burgundian, Latona Pub, Toronado, Pine Box, Noble Fir, Sixgill, etc. for bars.

Socreges

Banned
Bottleworks, Last Drop, Beer Junction, Chucks Hop Shop, Whole Foods, Bob's Liquor, Central Market, etc.

I think so. Not really sure. Too much good local stuff to bother.

Fremont Brewing, Reubens Brews, Urban Family and Holy Mountain for breweries. Uber Tavern, Brouwers, Burgundian, Latona Pub, Toronado, Pine Box, Noble Fir, Sixgill, etc. for bars.
OK. I get it. Your city has lots of wonderful beer. ;) Gotta narrow it down. Where do I go for the best sour selection? Quality or quantity, no matter

OK. I get it. Your city has lots of wonderful beer. ;) Gotta narrow it down. Where do I go for the best sour selection? Quality or quantity, no matter

That's a crap shoot. Holy Mountain makes the best sour beer in WA, but the only thing they have on right now at the brewery is their Gose. All the bottles are sold out of everything. You might find a bottle of The Hart (tart saison) somewhere random around town, but that's a strong maybe.

Proppolis makes good farmhouse and wild ales. Won't likely find them on tap but bottles are around.

Wrong time for sour beer. It's barrel aged dark stuff right now. Bbomb and Kentucky Dark Star from Fremont and Reubens has their BA RIS coming out soon.

If you just want to buy sour bottles, go to Chucks or Beer Junction or Bottleworks.

Also, download the Brew Notice app. Seattle is well represented on it. Should answer your questions about what's on tap where. There is no "sour bar" per se. Just whatever places have on tap.

Also, if you're willing to go down to Tacoma, go to Engine House No. 9. They're doing great wild and farmhouse beers and some are bottled, but only for sale at the brewery.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What temperature did you try it at? Every time I've had it it has tasted way different.

I had 3 pours - one right out of the fridge, one "lightly chilled" after sitting on my counter for 15 minutes or so, and one after having been out for about an hour. The profile changed a bit, but still wasn't great.

DFH is still one of my goto beers (the 90 minute). That said, 60 minute is too bland, 90 is a hair heavy. They need like a 75-80 minute that gets the flavor and texture right between them. ;)

Socreges

Banned
That's a crap shoot. Holy Mountain makes the best sour beer in WA, but the only thing they have on right now at the brewery is their Gose. All the bottles are sold out of everything. You might find a bottle of The Hart (tart saison) somewhere random around town, but that's a strong maybe.

Proppolis makes good farmhouse and wild ales. Won't likely find them on tap but bottles are around.

Wrong time for sour beer. It's barrel aged dark stuff right now. Bbomb and Kentucky Dark Star from Fremont and Reubens has their BA RIS coming out soon.

If you just want to buy sour bottles, go to Chucks or Beer Junction or Bottleworks.

Also, download the Brew Notice app. Seattle is well represented on it. Should answer your questions about what's on tap where. There is no "sour bar" per se. Just whatever places have on tap.
Excellent, thanks. I'll report back after the weekend...

Also, if you're willing to go down to Tacoma, go to Engine House No. 9. They're doing great wild and farmhouse beers and some are bottled, but only for sale at the brewery.
Can't do it but I'll keep that in mind

Urban Family has some sour bottles as well around town, but they're pretty expensive for 375 ml bottles.

All the Crooked Stave is in Bellingham, by the way. They don't distribute to Seattle.

HiResDes

Did you score any Xocoveza?
Fuck no. Went to a shit ton of different places too.

Anyway this NxS is kinda interesting. It's pretty much the a variant of Enjoy by in tastes but the herbal spiciness of the gin really starts to solidify on the tail end leaving this minty feeling in the pit of my stomach after it settles.

Fuck no. Went to a shit ton of different places too.

Anyway this NxS is kinda interesting. It's pretty much the a variant of Enjoy by in tastes but the herbal spiciness of the gin really starts to solidify on the tail end leaving this minty feeling in the pit of my stomach after it settles.

I got some I can hook you up with. I have a NxS in the fridge but not sure I want to drink that after this BA Narwhal. If you see Revolution Deth's Tar grab it. Good stuff.

Top Bottom