• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

HiResDes

Oh rad, I definitely wouldn't recommend it it's kind of dry and not so delectable to me to ever want to pick up another bomber ever again. Definitely can taste a shit ton of dry hops

Had the Peche n Brett last night. Didn't have a cork, actually, just wax and a cap so I was pleasantly surprised. Tasted a bit weird at first but as it warmed up the peach flavor and funk really came through. Alcohol was hidden super well (10%!) but it was a little sweet, which makes me prefer the dryer peach beers I've had like Farm to Face. Still a fantastic beer, though.

Tonight I opened an Almanac Farmer's Reserve Blueberry. I wasn't impressed with the first batch, which I tried on draft and thought was kinda dull. Out of the bottle this year it's fantastic. Gorgeous red/purple color that I definitely don't remember my pour having and the fruit flavor is melded really well. Reminds me more of a Rare Barrel beer than an Almanac one and I mean that in a good way.

bGP3DA4.jpg
More beer acquisitions today. Very happy.

overcast

Even down here all the Xoco's disappeared. Saw two 6 packs though. Just got one on tap the other night, so 17 was too steep for me.

Enjoying a Victory At Sea right now.

Prez

I decided I want to taste all the best Belgian beers and I've come up with a list of 120 beers. Since I'm from Belgium it's easy to get most of them, but about 15-20 are harder to find. Are there any other Belgians in this thread who might be able to help me out? I already have 6 bottles of Westvleteren 12, 3 bottles of Westvleteren 8 and 6 bottles of Orval (aged for 3,5 years) so maybe we can even trade :)

Prez

It looks like I'll have no trouble getting 110 out of 120 Belgian beers from my list from 4 different stores, the remaining 10 I will have to get from the breweries but luckily most of them are less than a 45 minute drive away.

codhand

It looks like I'll have no trouble getting 110 out of 120 Belgian beers from my list from 4 different stores, the remaining 10 I will have to get from the breweries but luckily most of them are less than a 45 minute drive away.

let's see the list

Xocoveza sat on my grocery store's shelves for a couple weeks so I ended up buying 3 six-packs over the course of that. I really prefer the 12oz bottle format; I get kinda sick of the spices by the end of the bomber but a smaller bottle really hits the spot on cold nights.

Prez

let's see the list

Still working on it, apparently my source wasn't very good and half the beers on the list aren't that great. Now I'm making a list of every Belgian beer on Ratebeer with a weighted average of 3.5/5 and more. Any other sources I could use?

I had 3 pours - one right out of the fridge, one "lightly chilled" after sitting on my counter for 15 minutes or so, and one after having been out for about an hour. The profile changed a bit, but still wasn't great.

DFH is still one of my goto beers (the 90 minute). That said, 60 minute is too bland, 90 is a hair heavy. They need like a 75-80 minute that gets the flavor and texture right between them. ;)

Yeah, I wasn't the biggest fan of it either, just noticed how much i disliked it when it was really cold compared to it being enjoyable when it was less so.

Also there is a 75 minute, but think it is some sort of limited release. I have seen people order a 90 mixed with a 60 at the Dogfish head alehouse near me, so maybe that would be to your liking. Personally my favorite beer that I can get from them all the time is the Palo Santo Marron. Completely different style from the ipas though so not comparable.

Prez

I ended up with this list of 100 beers (only abbey and ales, no lambics yet) with a weighted average of 3.6 and up on Ratebeer:

Abbaye des Rocs Brune
Abbaye des Rocs Grand Cru
Abbaye des Rocs Speciale Noel
Abbaye des Rocs Triple Impériale
Achel 8 Bruin
Achel Blond
Achel Blond Extra
Achel Extra Bruin (de 3 wijzen)
Aflligem Tripel
Bière De Beloeil
Bush de Noël (Scaldis Noël)
Bush de Nuits (Scaldis Prestige de Nuits)
Bush Prestige (Scaldis Prestige)
Bzart Session Triple
Chimay Bleue (Blue) / Grande Réserve
Chimay Rood
Chimay Tripel / Blanche / Cinq Cents
Chouffe Houblon Dobbelen IPA Tripel
Corsendonk Agnus
Corsendonk Christmas Ale
Corsendonk Pater
De Dochter van de Korenaar Embrasse
De Dolle Dulle Teve 10°
De Dolle Arabier
De Dolle Boskeun
De Dolle Lichtervelds Blond
De Dolle Oerbier
De Dolle Stille Nacht
De la Senne Brussels Calling
De Leite Cuvée Mam’zelle
De Leite Enfant Terrible d’Hiver
De Ranke XX Bitter
Delirium Noël
Delirium Tremens
Deus Brut des Flandres
Dupond Cervesia
Dupont Avec les Bons Voeux
Duvel
Fantôme Pissenlit Special
Fantome Santé-16
Gouden Carolus Classic
Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw
Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer Rood
Gouden Carolus Easter Ale
Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor
Gouden Carolus Noël
Gouden Carolus Tripel
Gulden Draak
Gulden Draak 9000 Quadrupel
Gulden Draak The Brewmasters Edition
Inglorious Quad
La Binchoise Spéciale Noël
La Chouffe
La Rulles Estivale
La Rulles Triple
Lefebvre Floreffe Prima Melior
Malheur Bière Brut (Reserve)
Malheur Dark Brut (Brut Noir)
Maredsous 10 Tripel
Mc Chouffe
Moinette Biologique
Moinette Blonde
N'Ice Chouffe
Orval
Petrus Aged Pale
Piraat 10,5
Préaris Grand Cru (Makers Mark Bourbon BA)
Préaris Quadrupel
Rochefort Trappistes 10
Rochefort Trappistes 8
Rochepart Trappistes 6
St. Feuillien Cuvée de Noël
St. Feuillien Triple
St. Bernardus Abt 12
St. Bernardus Christmas Ale
St. Bernardus Pater 6
St. Bernardus Prior 8
St. Bernardus Tripel
Straffe Hendrik Brugs Quadrupel
Straffe Hendrik Heritage (2011-)
Straffe Hendrik Wild
Struise Pannepeut Real Ale
Struise Pannepot
Struise Pannepot Reserva
Struise St. Amatus – Oostvleteren 12
Struise Tsjeeses
Struise XXX Rogge Tripel
Tripel Karmeliet
Troubadour Magma
Urthel Samaranth
Val-Dieu Grand Cru
Vicaris Generaal
Vicaris Winter 10°
Viven Imperial IPA
Watou Tripel
Westmalle Dubbel
Westmalle Tripel
Westvleteren 12
Westvleteren 8
Winterkoninkske Grand Cru

I also have these 62 beers which are also recommended but have a score of less than 3.6:

Antigoon
Augustijn Grand Cru
Barbar
Belgoo Saisonneke
Bière Du Boucanier Rood
Bink Blond
Bocq Christmas
Boerinneken
Bokrijks Kruikenbier
Bush Ambrée
Bush Triple Blonde (Scaldis Triple)
Caracole Saxo
Caulier Bon Secours Brune (3.51)
Chimay Dorée
d'Oude Maalderij Qantelaar
De Dochter van de Korenaar Noblesse Very Special Old Pale (VSOP)
De la Senne Jambe-de-Bois
De la Senne Schieve Tabarnak
De la Senne Taras Boulba
De la Senne Zinnebir
De la Senne X-Mas Zinnebir
De Proef Knock Out (K-O)
Duvel Tripel
Fantome BBB Dark White
Gageleer
Gouden Carolus Ambrio
Gouden Carolus Classic
Grottenbier Bruin
Hop-Ruiter
Jandrain-Jandrenouille V Cense
Kapittel Watou Prior
La Binchoise Blonde
La Guillotine
La Rulles Blonde
La Rulles Cuvée Meilleurs Voeux
Les 3 Fourquets Lupulus
Malheur 10
Malheur 4
Mardesous 8 Bruin
Maredsous 6
Melchior Oak Aged Calvados Barrel
Moinette Brune
Morpheus Extra R.A.
Omer
Papegaei
Pauwel Kwak
Piraat 9
Poperings Hommelbier
Préaris Quadrocinno
Seef Bier
St. Feuillien Blonde
St. Feuillien Brune
Straffe Hendrik Brugs Tripelbier 9°
Struise Kloeke Blonde
Struise XXX Rogge Tripel
Ter Dolen Armand
Urthel Hop-It
Urthel Saisonnière
Val-Dieu Triple
VI Wheat
Witkap Pater Singel
Wolf 7

I think the second list is just as important despite the score though since one of my favorite beers (Omer) only has a weighted average of 3.36.

taylor910

Would anyone be willing to help me compare ratios on a beer trade? I would really appreciate it. Total newbie, just looking for a "that's fair" from someone in the know. I can shoot you a pm.

Local growler place put Xocoveza on tap this weekend, and it blew before I was able to head on over.

Guess I'll have to try one of my bottles, and maybe grab a 6-pack for aging/sharing.

Prez

Chimaaaaaaaay Bleue!

And everything similar

Forgot to say, I've already had Chimay Bleue, Orval, every Chouffe, Duvel and Rochefort many times :) That's why those are missing. I'm looking beyond the typical dozen or so suggestions for Belgian beers. Mainly Christmas beers because they won't be available anymore next month! Luckily I already managed to get 6 bottles of Stille Nacht.

Local growler place put Xocoveza on tap this weekend, and it blew before I was able to head on over.

Guess I'll have to try one of my bottles, and maybe grab a 6-pack for aging/sharing.

Xocoveza really isn't an aging beer. Lowish ABV for a stout, not barrel aged and full of adjuncts that will fade with time. Drink that beer yo!!

Prez

St. Bernardus Christmas Ale is great.

I will look for that one. Other winter beers I will try to get:

Abbaye des Rocs Speciale Noel
Achel Extra Bruin (de 3 wijzen)
Bush de Nuits
Corsendonk Christmas Ale
Fantome Santé-16
Gouden Carolus Cuvee van de Keizer Blauw
Gouden Carolus Noël
Winterkoninkske Grand Cru

Had the Stone/Sierra Nevada NxS, and enjoyed it, but wasn't absolutely in love with it. One pint was enough for me.

Also grabbed a five-pack of Xocoveza so I can finally taste it, the 2015 Dissident, and Higher Math, which I don't think I've heard much about.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Had the Stone/Sierra Nevada NxS, and enjoyed it, but wasn't absolutely in love with it. One pint was enough for me.

Also grabbed a five-pack of Xocoveza so I can finally taste it, the 2015 Dissident, and Higher Math, which I don't think I've heard much about.

Beware the Higher Math. Its....different.

Forgot to say, I've already had Chimay Bleue, Orval, every Chouffe, Duvel and Rochefort many times :) That's why those are missing. I'm looking beyond the typical dozen or so suggestions for Belgian beers. Mainly Christmas beers because they won't be available anymore next month! Luckily I already managed to get 6 bottles of Stille Nacht.

Maybe Pannepot or its variants if you haven't had it yet? Fantome Noel or Hiver if that's around.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Got a 6 of these boys today. Have had two so far and they are suuuper tasty. A very different flavor compared to a coffee stout which I'm accustomed to.
I'm not sure yet if I prefer it over the Stone Coffee Milk Stout. It has a fizzier taste, and isn't as thick. But the coffee is still there, and it's really smooth.

aI5kXhE.png

After that Stone/Sierra NxS moved onto a KBS and now drinking a local, Taft's Ale House Liquid Advent. It's a chocolate brown porter brewed with cinnamon, chilies, cacao nibs, and roasted cacao husks from a local chocolatier. They do a chocolate bar that this is based on and it's pretty awesome. Not sure if Des has had this one yet but he needs to if not!

Got a 6 of these boys today. Have had two so far and they are suuuper tasty. A very different flavor compared to a coffee stout which I'm accustomed to.
I'm not sure yet if I prefer it over the Stone Coffee Milk Stout. It has a fizzier taste, and isn't as thick. But the coffee is still there, and it's really smooth.

aI5kXhE.png
I had a phase a couple of years ago where I was making big wheaty porters. It's kind of an interesting addition in a dark beer. I should do another one of those soon. It's been a while.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
beereverywherenqus4.jpg

This is me in this beer warehouse on the Belgian-Dutch border where they sell an idiotic amount of beers and where stuff like Chimay, Bernardus, Westmalle etc goes by the crate, casually. Fun times.

HiResDes

After that Stone/Sierra NxS moved onto a KBS and now drinking a local, Taft's Ale House Liquid Advent. It's a chocolate brown porter brewed with cinnamon, chilies, cacao nibs, and roasted cacao husks from a local chocolatier. They do a chocolate bar that this is based on and it's pretty awesome. Not sure if Des has had this one yet but he needs to if not!
You have to buy in growlers right?

Prez

beereverywherenqus4.jpg

This is me in this beer warehouse on the Belgian-Dutch border where they sell an idiotic amount of beers and where stuff like Chimay, Bernardus, Westmalle etc goes by the crate, casually. Fun times.

Which town is that warehouse in? I live very close to the border.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Which town is that warehouse in? I live very close to the border.

DeCaigny in Essen. Don't expect much for decoration, it's really a warehouse filled with an insane amount of beer. And some decent prices for good stuff by the case.

Prez

DeCaigny in Essen. Don't expect much for decoration, it's really a warehouse filled with an insane amount of beer. And some decent prices for good stuff by the case.

It doesn't seem to have more Belgian beers than the one I currently go to, but it has a lot of international beers? That alone would make it worth a visit. I'm especially interested in Scandinavian beers but I don't know of any stores that sell any outside of Carlsberg.

I had a Chimay Triple (white) today and I absolutely love this one. I have no idea how to describe tastes and aromas but this is definitely my kind of beer. Other people describe it as a heavy beer but it's actually just right for me.

HiResDes

Finally getting through an Oil of Aphrodite, more bitter and boozy than I remember, but the creaminess and richness of flavors become more apparent after it warms up. Two stouts and I'm a little buzzed. Becoming a lightweight

Top Bottom