• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Finally getting through an Oil of Aphrodite, more bitter and boozy than I remember, but the creaminess and richness of flavors become more apparent after it warms up. Two stouts and I'm a little buzzed. Becoming a lightweight

Nah. Two strong stouts is about all you should take in a night. Unless it is stretched over a long period of time.

And what is this Oil of Aphrodite? I must try it. Always wanting new stouts.

http://jackieos.com/brews/oil-of-aphrodite/

Damn good stuff. But then again, just about all of the limited Jackie O's are pretty awesome.

Stout brewed with walnuts? Oh, man. That sounds awesome. But I don't recognize the brewery, so don't think we get them here in southern KY.

I was in TN for the afternoon and stopped by the one liquor store I saw while out. Nothing of consequence there. Was hoping to find something I couldn't find in KY, but to no avail. Dammit.

Was hoping for Bourbon County or Xocoveza.

Prez

Got a lot of great beers today:

Gouden Carolus X-Mas (75cl)
Fantôme-Santé 19 (75cl)
Rodenbach Caractère Rouge (75cl)
Bush de Nuits (75cl)
N'Ice Chouffe (75cl)
St. Bernardus Christmas Ale
Tilquin Oude Gueuze
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Viven Imperial IPA
Préaris Quadrocinno
Inglorious Quad
De Dolle Arabier
De Dolle Oerbier
Vicaris Winter
Enfant Terriple
De Ranke XX Bitter

jMqgbic.jpg

More new beers!

My first attempt at brewing an IPA:

ABV: 7.5% notes of honey and a light caramel with a moderate but not overly aggressive hoppy after taste. Proud of the effort, but can already imagine ways to tweak the next batch. Next in the fermenter: Saison!

Is there any way I can get Siren's Caribbean Chocolate Cake in the US?

Maybe? Shelton Brothers has distribution rights to Siren in the US, so that's probably a headache. It's a collaboration with Cigar City, which we don't get out here. The only Siren product I've ever seen in the Seattle area is their collab Limoncello IPA (bottle) they did with Hill Farmstead.

I do see recent bottles on Untappd, but all on the East Coast. Looks to be on tap at Cigar City's taproom in Tampa.

You could trade for it, but you won't likely be able to buy a bottle in Seattle.

Chris R

Just found out when the new A Deal With The Devil will be released, Jan 10th

So glad it wasn't the week before since I'll be in Denver and wouldn't be able to grab a bottle.

Now to decide how early I need to queue up since there are only 200 bottles...

Just found out when the new A Deal With The Devil will be released, Jan 10th

So glad it wasn't the week before since I'll be in Denver and wouldn't be able to grab a bottle.

Now to decide how early I need to queue up since there are only 200 bottles...

Jesus, I wish it would get released here again. So expensive, but worth every penny.

And had a great haul today from the store.

Excited for the bourbon barrel aged and port barrel aged stuff.

I am terrified of the Molotov Cocktail Heavy though. A bomber at that ABV? Don't make plans for the next day, and pace it over the entire evening...

Socreges

Banned
Made it to Holy Mountain

Got a sampler of the Grisette and a 6oz of the Cascade Table sour. I really liked the Grisette, but couldn't justify $15 on the bottle. Had already spent too much. :/

Next.... Pine Box and Stumbling Monk. :)

Thanks for the help, distant

$15 for a 750ml bottle and totally worth it. I bought three yesterday. Bought one Cascade Table sour as well, but that was limit one per person.

Glad you liked Holy Mountain!

Chris R

I need a car or need to learn to Uber next time I'm in Seattle, all those places sound great, but I've always just used the light rail to get into downtown and it doesn't go to the cool places :(

tmac456

2015 bcbs

holy bourbon. chocolate. cherries. so good. going to get even better with age. even happier i spent the money on a case

I need a car or need to learn to Uber next time I'm in Seattle, all those places sound great, but I've always just used the light rail to get into downtown and it doesn't go to the cool places :(

Take the bus and walk some. I've got a car but loads of the places are pretty walkable.

injurai

Banned
Whiskey is the only liquor that can truly pair with beer. I refuse to accept otherwise at this point. Everything else conspires against the soul nurturing nature of the former.

ShinAmano

Picked up a crazy awesome bunch of beer yesterday at Hardywood. ..it was a madhouse but I left after trades with so much liquid love itwas inincredible.

I'm seeing a lot of different Hair of the Dog beers around here. What are your favorites?

Bourbon Fred from the Wood and Cherry Adam from the Wood are pretty phenomenal. They're brewery only releases for the most part, though. Adam, Fred, Doggie Claws and Blue Dot are the standard line up that hit store shelves. I respect what Matt is, but I don't particularly like beers that taste like meat.

I also take issue with HotD's current QA problems. All their big beers (the from Wood and other limited releases) have been flat the last couple years when this was never the case in the past. My buddy brought this one over tonight, but I'm not buying bottles from them until Alan figures this shit out.

ShinAmano

Place was packed. Just happy I got my Apple Brandy GBS.
Yeah it is so good. Interested to try kxm out of the bottle...think it was good but apple brandy was the star...royal dubbel was super complex but grew on me.

Now someone with parabajava hit me up and ill send a bottle of each plus a trickery!

Yeah it is so good. Interested to try kxm out of the bottle...think it was good but apple brandy was the star...royal dubbel was super complex but grew on me.

Now someone with parabajava hit me up and ill send a bottle of each plus a trickery!

The apple brandy was really good, but a bit too sweet for me to drink an entire bottle by myself. Luckily the Kentucky Christmas Morning offset it a bit, but that meant I finished two pours real fast and I was too messed up to even try the dubbel.

Hope they make the apple brandy again, but it will probably be like the rum gbs from last year that that is all they made of it.

ShinAmano

The apple brandy was really good, but a bit too sweet for me to drink an entire bottle by myself. Luckily the Kentucky Christmas Morning offset it a bit, but that meant I finished two pours real fast and I was too messed up to even try the dubbel.

Hope they make the apple brandy again, but it will probably be like the rum gbs from last year that that is all they made of it.

I don't know...rum was only made last year since the barrels came late for the rum pumpkin...was surprised it didn't show up again this year tbh...

I am imagining that we will get at least one new variant next year as well...Vanilla or Chocolate?

pablito

How fucking depressing.

They were one of my favourite breweries and now they've fucked it all up.

Have they been making breweries change? I've tried quite a bit of the breweries under the local champions section on their wiki. I don't know what they were like before and after, though. But Goose Island Bourbon County Stout is fantastic, so is 10 Barress Joe IPA, and I like Golden Road as well. So hopefully they aren't ruining them.

Had a Beer Geek Breakfast/Brunch Big Blend tonight. Really good, but nowhere near as good as Brunch Weasel is. The blend of all the different things just feels like everything is trying to overshadow each other and it just comes out kind of confusing. You can taste some of the liquors in there and the coffee, but everything is fighting for attention it seems.

10 Barrel was also started as a means for a big cash buyout. Two brothers who ran a bar in Bend whose Dad worked for the local AB distributor. Too bad they have some crazy talented brewers like Shawn Kelso and Tonya Cornett who are stuck with big non-competes if they try to leave any time soon.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Good beer pickup day for me. Went by New England Brewing a got a growler of the first release of G-bot (rebrand of Gandhi-bot) and of Imperial Stout Trooper. After that went to store down the block and got a 4 pack of Sip of Sunshine, a few bottles of Dogfish 120, and some various Evil Twin stouts.

Top Bottom