• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Try and find some coffee vanilla stout from Brickway. Pretty good stuff.

Saw some at Hy-Vee tonight. Gonna pick up more beer to last the week for my brother-in-law and I at Beertopia tomorrow, plus a thing or two to take back to Seattle. Crowlers now is nice.

My father-in-law and I are on our own Sunday afternoon. Haven't been to Farnam House Brewing, think we'll go there for lunch.

Saw some at Hy-Vee tonight. Gonna pick up more beer to last the week for my brother-in-law and I at Beertopia tomorrow, plus a thing or two to take back to Seattle. Crowlers now is nice.

My father-in-law and I are on our own Sunday afternoon. Haven't been to Farnam House Brewing, think we'll go there for lunch.

Been to Scriptown? Right up the road and nice atmosphere.

bFnb78y.jpg

Went to Beertopia. The guys instantly recognized me, much to my wife's chagrin. "You're SeatteBeerPenguin, right?"

And a case of Lucky Bucket lager for my FIL's family tomorrow night.

ShinAmano

Yesterday was a good day...got a few boxes in which included things like:
2014 & 15 coffee bcbs
Regal Rye
kane anniversary
carton anniversary
imperial blud
vanilla hunter

And

Cherry Rye :)

Sipping on a Bourbon Barrel Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat. Not too bad, but I feel like it could stand to be a bit bigger beer to hold up everything going on in here.

Expensive but definitely worth it. Glad others haven't caught onto it too much around here. Just had a '11 and it was awesome.
Oh, there are still tons of bottles in town due to price. But damn, is it worth it.
I debated between a four pack of St. Bernardus Abt12 and a bottle of this. Either way, I won. This just didn't last as long.

Still got a bottle of bourbon anyways. Four Roses single barrel.

Oh, there are still tons of bottles in town due to price. But damn, is it worth it.
I debated between a four pack of St. Bernardus Abt12 and a bottle of this. Either way, I won. This just didn't last as long.

Still got a bottle of bourbon anyways. Four Roses single barrel.

That and Eagle Rare are two of my favorites for the $ bar none.

They had some limited batch Four Roses here. Stuff just for the liquor store. Each store in town has their own barrel strength single barrel that is just for them. Problem is they are $65 a bottle. I can get two bottles of normal Single Barrel for that price, and it is damn fine as is.

Bourbon is also the only liquor my wife will take straight. She decided to try some and we are both getting into it since moving to Kentucky. It is bourbon country after all.

And did try a crazy thing one guy told me which is to put a small amount of bourbon in the pint glass and coat the sides before pouring a stout in. Did it once and was a nice little addition of flavor but nothing to do often.

HiResDes

All the stouts that have been piling up even though I'm drinking like two a day, not sure what to attack tonight, maybe the last Tiny.

Also picked up some Rico Suavin since I saw Cod gave it some decent ratings and the can looked cool, not gonna lie.

Got a new Hydro Flask, gonna try and fill it up with some Hawaiian Speedway Stout if I can help it.

BTW, Stone Xocoveza never hit KY, but the shipment should be there within the next week. So I'll be checking Party Town in Florence.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
They had some limited batch Four Roses here. Stuff just for the liquor store. Each store in town has their own barrel strength single barrel that is just for them. Problem is they are $65 a bottle. I can get two bottles of normal Single Barrel for that price, and it is damn fine as is.

65$ is a little on the high end, I've seen them from 50-60 here. The appeal is in being able to try the 10 various recipes. With regular single barrel you're likely only getting to try OBSV. Most of these cask strengths clock in around 120 proof and are hot as hell but the flavor is killer and definitely worth splurging depending on the recipe your store bought.

65$ is a little on the high end, I've seen them from 50-60 here. The appeal is in being able to try the 10 various recipes. With regular single barrel you're likely only getting to try OBSV. Most of these cask strengths clock in around 120 proof and are hot as hell but the flavor is killer and definitely worth splurging depending on the recipe your store bought.
Thanks for the tip. One store here is $65, and a different one is $75 I think. It isn't flying off the shelf so I might bite someday just to try it.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i love the trappistes rochefort 10 but its killied my christmas haha, my stomach is saying fuck that nope to christmas dinner

riotous

Banned
Didn't even think to find a NeoGAF beer thread.

Been on a huge bourbon barrel aged beer binge the last month.

Some pics of some of my purchases:

Really good: Goose Island Bourbon County (black label) is amazing obviously, love the Arrogant Bastard Southern Charred.. and ALL of the Fremont's (4 varieties) but in particular the gold wax'd Cinnamon special brew. The Pellican is similar to the Dark Star from Fremont.

Pretty good: The Sierra Nevada was nice and smokey and toasty, the Rye Bourbon County isn't quite as good as the regular but I still really enjoy it. That 2013 Old Stock Ale was decent as well. My grocery store has been keeing them in the cellar I guess, they have quite a few from 2012-2014 not just brand new ones. (Central Market in Shoreline for the Seattlites I've seen lurking.) That Unitas Pumpkin barrel age just tasted like a really thick pumpkin ale but certainly was good.

Not so good: Wasn't impressed with Overhang or the Arrogant Rye.

Yet to try: the purple labled Bourbon County.. it was brewed with raisins IIRC.

Didn't even think to find a NeoGAF beer thread.

Been on a huge bourbon barrel aged beer binge the last month.

Some pics of some of my purchases:

Really good: Goose Island Bourbon County (black label) is amazing obviously, love the Arrogant Bastard Southern Charred.. and ALL of the Fremont's (4 varieties) but in particular the gold wax'd Cinnamon special brew. The Pellican is similar to the Dark Star from Fremont.

Pretty good: The Sierra Nevada was nice and smokey and toasty, the Rye Bourbon County isn't quite as good as the regular but I still really enjoy it. That 2013 Old Stock Ale was decent as well. My grocery store has been keeing them in the cellar I guess, they have quite a few from 2012-2014 not just brand new ones. (Central Market in Shoreline for the Seattlites I've seen lurking.) That Unitas Pumpkin barrel age just tasted like a really thick pumpkin ale but certainly was good.

Not so good: Wasn't impressed with Overhang or the Arrogant Rye.

Yet to try: the purple labled Bourbon County.. it was brewed with raisins IIRC.

SEATTLE BROS WITH THE FREMONT

The purple BCBS is blackberries and sea salt.

riotous

Banned
SEATTLE BROS WITH THE FREMONT

The purple BCBS is blackberries and sea salt.

Ah that's right; and yeah the Fremont BA's are awesome, and seem readilly available.

Was on a run for some Christmas morning cinnamon rolls and found a random beer mart with the Descutte's Abyss BA:

UxRF71c.jpg

A deep, dark Imperial Stout, The Abyss has almost immeasurable depth and complexity. Hints of molasses, licorice and other alluring flavors make it something not just to quaff, but contemplate.

As for the great “drink it now or let it age” debate, we stand clearly on the fence. Distinct and delicious on release, the flavors meld and fuse into an entirely different pleasure after a year or more in the cellar.
Officially released 12/17/15.

Drink one, age one.

One of my Dad's best friends created The Abyss back in 2006 when he was at Deschutes. Now at Crux, his Tough Love is pretty similar but only Bourbon barrel aged unlike Abyss which is now a weird blend of wine, bourbon and non-barrel aged.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
My former GF returned from Luxembourg for holidays and she brought me a pack of Battin Gambrinus. Quite good stuff, very similar to Bernard lager, only with a bit sweeter aftertaste.

sefskillz

Thanks for the tip. One store here is $65, and a different one is $75 I think. It isn't flying off the shelf so I might bite someday just to try it.

btw, I'll be up your way early on NYE. Winos does a killer deal on Pappy flights that day. I can bring some xocoveza for ya if it still hasnt dropped there.

riotous

Banned
One of my Dad's best friends created The Abyss back in 2006 when he was at Deschutes. Now at Crux, his Tough Love is pretty similar but only Bourbon barrel aged unlike Abyss which is now a weird blend of wine, bourbon and non-barrel aged.

Interesting; it is a bit of a weird sounding blend but I'm curious to try it.

Any recommendation on beer stores in the North End?

Socreges

Banned
Will be finally opening my 2014 Mirror Mirror. Might be best to leave it another year, but I'd rather get more familiar with such beers before really investing the time

Gave a couple Enjoy By 12-25 to friends who drank them today and reported back good things. Delicious beer. Wish Stone shipped them to BC :/

btw, I'll be up your way early on NYE. Winos does a killer deal on Pappy flights that day. I can bring some xocoveza for ya if it still hasnt dropped there.

I shall let you know. Anything this way you want me to snag in exchange? Heck, do you have any BCBS to trade? I still have a bottle of Bo & Luke if it is wanted.

sefskillz

I shall let you know. Anything this way you want me to snag in exchange? Heck, do you have any BCBS to trade? I still have a bottle of Bo & Luke if it is wanted.

Yea I've got got some '14 and '15 BCBS I could let go of. Not sure if '14 made it your way or not last year. I'd be interested in a Bo&Luke, been a couple years since I had it last. If you have any of those special Country Boy bottlings that'd be cool too. Im sure we can figure something out

Chris R

Also, anyone in the thread in the Denver area? I'm visiting next week and trying to finalize a list of places to hit up, both in the downtown core and within a days drive.

Thinking about hitting up Coors just for the hell of it along with at least Wynkoop.

Yea I've got got some '14 and '15 BCBS I could let go of. Not sure if '14 made it your way or not last year. I'd be interested in a Bo&Luke, been a couple years since I had it last. If you have any of those special Country Boy bottlings that'd be cool too. Im sure we can figure something out
No 14 either. I can part with Bo and Luke for something. I will see if I can hunt down the other rarer Country Boy stuff. See if I can find Constant Sorrow again.

I will PM ya later. Awesome!

Also, anyone in the thread in the Denver area? I'm visiting next week and trying to finalize a list of places to hit up, both in the downtown core and within a days drive.

Thinking about hitting up Coors just for the hell of it along with at least Wynkoop.

Core: Falling Rock and Cheeky Monk. Funkwerks in Ft. Collins. Avery in Boulder.

terrible

Banned
2015_BastardBox_3D.png

The regular Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard are better than the special versions in this set. Still nice though. Probably the definitive American Strong Ales.

riotous

Banned
Firestone's XIX Anniversary Ale is super great. Enjoyed it immensely, and may have to hunt down a few more to age.

Cool; they have this at my grocery store but haven't tried it yet.

distantmantra: thanks for the beer store recommendations; going to check those 2 out (been to Chuck's I'm pretty sure) and also Beer Authority in Lake City (since I'm north-north end).

Top Bottom