• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
The reason for why I was so excited about this year's version of Imperial Stout Trooper releasing. I won a bottle from 2008 and 2006 a few months ago during a charity auction. Doing a taste test today.

r4R7M8H.jpg

gK2Ua8T.jpg

w6rprnr.jpg

UkeD1kF.jpg

The 2015 is fantastic as usual. The 2008 has held up surprisingly well. A little funky, but still really drinkable. Just about to get to the 2006.

Edit - Just drank some of the 2006. It held up even better than the 2008. Amazing beer.

My parents are spending a couple weeks in Austin. They're picking me up beer. They rock.

Texts from my mom today at Jester King with what they got me. Did I mention they rock?

eM2mXeI.jpg

oVfEUfN.jpg

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
My parents are spending a couple weeks in Austin. They're picking me up beer. They rock.

Texts from my mom today at Jester King with what they got me. Did I mention they rock?

one of my favorite places to visit. nice timing on their part too with the Cerveza de Tempranillo release today

Probably have that one tomorrow during football I'll let you know.

@distantmantra knows the brewer IIRC though so he can probably elaborate sooner.

I do. I've actually helped bottle it in the past as well. I think Tough Love is a seriously under the radar BA stout. Great mouthfeel, really nice bourbon and wood notes. Price point is a bit crazy, which I like to remind Larry of on a regular basis.

PG2G

I do. I've actually helped bottle it in the past as well. I think Tough Love is a seriously under the radar BA stout. Great mouthfeel, really nice bourbon and wood notes. Price point is a bit crazy, which I like to remind Larry of on a regular basis.

Sweet, I'll pick some up then

Scratchtown Brewing out of Ord, Nebraska has a Citra/Mosaic IPA called Wonder Twins. I had two pints of it earlier today. Absolutely fucking goddamn amazing. Best beer I've ever had from Nebraska. Hands down. Wow.

Scratchtown Brewing out of Ord, Nebraska has a Citra/Mosaic IPA called Wonder Twins. I had two pints of it earlier today. Absolutely fucking goddamn amazing. Best beer I've ever had from Nebraska. Hands down. Wow.

I would agree. They have been making amazing beers. Their Black Eye imperial porter is excellent as well. Not Wonder Twins excellent, but very good.

riotous

Banned
Really enjoying this False Summit from Elevation (b-barrel aged quad ale.) I believe it's a 2013 release; might have to snag up the stock from the store that cellar'd it.

Went around stocking up the cellar with Fremont B-bom/dark star; still have one of each of the 4 in my fridge to enjoy but also have 15 of them in the cellar; 7 cinnamon, 6 regular abom and 2 of the dark star. Only have 1 of the coffee dark star not sure if I will add it to the cellar or not.

Really enjoying this False Summit from Elevation (b-barrel aged quad ale.) I believe it's a 2013 release; might have to snag up the stock from the store that cellar'd it.

Went around stocking up the cellar with Fremont B-bom/dark star; still have one of each of the 4 in my fridge to enjoy but also have 15 of them in the cellar; 7 cinnamon, 6 regular abom and 2 of the dark star. Only have 1 of the coffee dark star not sure if I will add it to the cellar or not.

The coffee KDS fades pretty quick.

ShinAmano

Send me some...seriously if you are up for trading let me know.

Hmmm... coffee in general not good for aging, or will the coffee flavor just dissipate?

Coffee beers generally age poorly. The actual coffee favor fades and it can develop into weird vegetal/bellpepper-ish flavors that I find pretty unpleasant. Not to say that it's gonna go bad in a month or anything but I wouldn't age it.

riotous

Banned
Coffee beers generally age poorly. The actual coffee favor fades and it can develop into weird vegetal/bellpepper-ish flavors that I find pretty unpleasant. Not to say that it's gonna go bad in a month or anything but I wouldn't age it.

Hmmm.. got me second guessing aging all these coffee cinnamon one's too then; can't say I'm that dissapointed I might have to just bite the bullet and drink them lol.

I had a 2014 CCBbomb the other day and it was still really good. I think BA beers where coffee is the only adjunct don't age well.

You should always drink a beer fresh. Then if you have any left do what you want.

riotous

Banned
Thanks for the feedback. Haven't cellar'd anything that I didn't try first. I've saved my impression of each cellar'd beer to my google calendar recurring every 6 months; will decide what to try at each interval and see how patient I can be lol.

Thanks for the feedback. Haven't cellar'd anything that I didn't try first. I've saved my impression of each cellar'd beer to my google calendar recurring every 6 months; will decide what to try at each interval and see how patient I can be lol.

Google Calendar? You beer way harder than I beer. I just put things in boxes in my garage. Heh.

Also, you should join Untappd. I'm SeattleBeerPenguin.

riotous

Banned
Google Calendar? You beer way harder than I beer. I just put things in boxes in my garage. Heh.

Also, you should join Untappd. I'm SeattleBeerPenguin.

LOL; I only recently tried my first when I happened to stop into Total Wine the morning Goose Island released. I've gone a bit overboard but like you I'm just using my garage for now. I was going to buy a wine fridge but threw a gague in my garage and turns out the back wall stays right near 55 degrees day and night.

Got a bottle of Boon Oude Geuze for christmas from an awesome relative and was craving lambic today so I opened it up. I didn't even notice at first that it was a 2012-2013 bottle so it was great to try it with a couple years on it. I generally like Boon's offerings a lot, Marriage Parfait is usually great and the Oude Geuze is solid for the price/availability. This is by far the best offering I've had from them, though. Shelf aged lambic can be kind of a gamble at times (looking at you, Beersel) but this paid off. Perfect balance of funk, dry, lemony flavors and way too drinkable.

Also had a bottle of Hanssens Kriek a few days ago. Tasty but hilariously sour. I generally like their gueuze but that's already on the sour side and this took it even further. Fun to drink once in a while but when it's straight-up Warheads level sour it's not gonna be something I seek out regularly.

LOL; I only recently tried my first when I happened to stop into Total Wine the morning Goose Island released. I've gone a bit overboard but like you I'm just using my garage for now. I was going to buy a wine fridge but threw a gague in my garage and turns out the back wall stays right near 55 degrees day and night.

My garage is partially underground and stays really cool year round. Works perfect for my bottles. My wife likes to remind me that the collection keeps growing, so I've been making a real effort to actually drink the stuff.

Got a 2013 Dark Lord and a bunch more normal BCS for Christmas. Stuff to sit on I guess. Also friend opened a 2011 Dark Lord that he was keeping so that was good.

On the disappointing side, didn't realize a relative from Wisconsin was coming to town before it was too late so couldn't get him to bring me some New Glarus stuff. Also the brother of a friend that was coming from WA decided to just not bring anything with him. Thank you distantmantra for the list of suggestions anyway. Was really hoping to try some of that Fremont stuff. I can't complain too much since I am really enjoying the Hardywood stuff that I got.

How do you all store the beers you're aging/cellaring. Right now I have them all laying out alphabetized on a table in our basement, but I want something better. Wine racks, maybe? Cardboard boxes? Something else?

Also, picked up a bottle of Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg Samichlaus based on that Christmas/Winter Beers list upthread. Looking forward to enjoying it.

ShinAmano

Got a 2013 Dark Lord and a bunch more normal BCS for Christmas. Stuff to sit on I guess. Also friend opened a 2011 Dark Lord that he was keeping so that was good.

On the disappointing side, didn't realize a relative from Wisconsin was coming to town before it was too late so couldn't get him to bring me some New Glarus stuff. Also the brother of a friend that was coming from WA decided to just not bring anything with him. Thank you distantmantra for the list of suggestions anyway. Was really hoping to try some of that Fremont stuff. I can't complain too much since I am really enjoying the Hardywood stuff that I got.
13 is super sweet...honestly no need to age it. I had to cut it with a burial skillet to take away the sweetness.

Drank a bottle of this last night:

Would certainly recommend it.
One of God's beers. And best just below room temp. Shit, it is great at room temp.

Party Town in Florence Kentucky only received two cases of Xocoveza, good luck Pbone
Sigh. I didn't hit the store after work today to check. Will tomorrow. Had such a shitty day at work convinced my wife to drive to Mellow Mushroom. Had a flight with Dogfish Head Chateau Jiahu, Christmas Bomb, St. Bernardus Abt 12, and St. Bernardus Christmas Ale. Worth it.

Top Bottom