• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Going to be spending a week in downtown Denver in March. Already planning on hitting Epic, but what other breweries/assorted beer places should I make sure I visit during that time?

riotous

Banned
Enjoyed the Victory Java Cask b-barrel aged last night.

Incredible nose on that beer; smells like a delicious creamy vanilla coffee. Flavor was less sweet than the nose and the coffee was a bit overpowering for my pallete but still had a nice subtle complexity; vanilla, hints of licorice and the coffee flavor itself was delicious. For a 14% beer it went down like water, only had a slight bourbon flavor.

Mitch

Banned
May get to try out some Zombie Dust this weekend when I go up to Cleveland. Only three places in town that get it. Fingers crossed.

Going to be spending a week in downtown Denver in March. Already planning on hitting Epic, but what other breweries/assorted beer places should I make sure I visit during that time?

We were just there over Thanksgiving. Our favorites in the downtown area were:

Our Mutual Friend
Epic
Crooked Stave

I would avoid Zephyr personally. Everything else we hit around there was pretty good. The Brewer at Our Mutual Friend also recommended Spangalang, but we never made it.

t-ramp

Peppercorn Saison sounds so dope would probably be amazing with some salmon or ahi tuna
Does Goose Island still make Pepe Nero? That was pretty good.

Also, pseudoSue is in pint cans now, so I picked up a pack yesterday. Haven't had it in a while, so I can't say how it compares to recent batches from Iowa/Florida, but it's solid.

Expensive day for me.
Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break Bourbon Aged
The Perfect Nose
Prairie Coffee Okie
Stone NXS
Xocoveza (place only got one case, so it was individual bottles only. Something is better than nothing)
Xocoveza Charred (had no idea they were doing this. Great surprise)

Having Perfect Nose now. Christ, the cognac flavor overpowers everything, and not in a good way. It might be better as it mellows with age, but I am not experimenting at $22 a bottle. Tastes like drinking rubbing alcohol sometimes.

gzPdRgx1koCGo53zt65xpsXZI06RAgNvLfoEclMduTn4cL9ByyUGLKzbbj7ICjsEgfTJBL1EuztDX3ZDOE9MPGmJLMXsyHtNhnVaURhsEcCe0pQU0zcQfuSQzwcP6ogbgoT_WAJWK_64R5emDKTRjwvYDnGKyY0NrP4wsVDk0r2ckR5br8xs2FdX1ZEtep1kqpsVJmU2pu1-vNKVoxpew4NDMJJ503nKlh3M3tydfT-4YM3ogbCJ7dzz34i5m3Scw4WZiHXto43XV1QeFdMaTl4PFYWOkrgvYzd6eEsqmAEjqpSa-yP2t7WCWohYmRrhmJyPbeP5IPXtwmQhKLimXf87idfuu75jafrXvlCPX9NikpSszjknB0NiAEA3ckNLt4JrKqJYr59zNf9R4AVVw-SWQqY1fx-ZtCSzoxjUxEzatv4Sc-YQOq562yILO2KAU6E5uYiNDr5m-78RdPTusF3lzqzv07E9mk-Aq--0h1upaZVg3X4lQe1nnyEsn-spTougMAzW8lJqwheSJyUdye3BTJ8kGSbd-uOmrjE5pqOwiIOxjoiD9ichkXcvkie4=w939-h1252-no

Nice haul from yesterday. That Ching Ching sour is wonderful.

Its a pretty great pale that is tough to come by...hence the chase.
I don't deny that it's good. But it's not magic. Chances are there's a brewery in your state that makes a Citra pale that's comparable, and probably better if you're getting it fresh.

I dunno. I just get a lot of hype backlash over it, I guess.

Zombie Dust is good, but the hype is just stupid. And yes, you probably have access to a solid Citra pale in your region already.

Besides, Gumball Head is the real FFF GOAT.

Nice haul from yesterday. That Ching Ching sour is wonderful.

Ching Ching is damn good. It was created by Tonya Cornett who is now in charge of the sour program at 10 Barrel (the Crush beers).

Zombie Dust is good, but the hype is just stupid. And yes, you probably have access to a solid Citra pale in your region already.

Besides, Gumball Head is the real FFF GOAT.

More partial to Alpha King myself, but Gumball Head is quite good.

And, Sefskillz, when you are in BG tomorrow be sure to look out for this:
07272015B.jpg

Liquor Barn got in a couple of cases today, so hopefully they will still be there tomorrow. Wino's and Shenanigans will probably get it as well. I know you were looking for other Country Boy stuff.

ShinAmano

I don't deny that it's good. But it's not magic. Chances are there's a brewery in your state that makes a Citra pale that's comparable, and probably better if you're getting it fresh.

I dunno. I just get a lot of hype backlash over it, I guess.
There are very few beers that live up to hype...many are really good but never met a magic beer ;)

It is very good. Gotta get some 2014 and 15 to go with the cellar pack I bought the other week.

Still have a bottle of 2003 (first bottling?) in the cellar. I need to get around to that sometime. Ommegang has always been a great value play. I remember when the 750's of Abbey Ale were $5. Absolute steal.

Still have a bottle of 2003 (first bottling?) in the cellar. I need to get around to that sometime. Ommegang has always been a great value play. I remember when the 750's of Abbey Ale were $5. Absolute steal.
Their bombers are normal around here, like about $10-11. But their four packs are insanely marked up. A four pack of Three Philosphers is $23 most places. It should only be like $15-17. For $23 I can just get Abt 12.

Doing the cellar pack last year was interesting though. The older the bottle, the less fruity sweetness came through. Still great though.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
My neighbor just gave me a glass of his Barrel Aged Darkness. This is some tasty, tasty beer.

Alpha King >>>>>

BUT, Dreadnaught and Permanent Funeral da real FFF MVPs

Dreadnaught is usually the only one I'll definitely try to grab when some comes in (which isn't often enough). The others are good but the hype is way over the top. Place around the corner from me just tapped a Jackie O's Citra DIPA which was fantastic.

tmac456

Dreadnaught is usually the only one I'll definitely try to grab when some comes in (which isn't often enough). The others are good but the hype is way over the top. Place around the corner from me just tapped a Jackie O's Citra DIPA which was fantastic.

hype is what it is. people take craft beer way too seriously and that includes hyping everything. it's beer. drink it with an open mind and ignore all the bs.

they do countless quality beers. their pale/ipa offerings are truly fantastic

Or Arctic Panzer Wolf.

To sum it up, Three Floyds is really damn good at IPAs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

ZB6ELhK.jpg

My wife got me this cool reclaimed wood beer caddy for Christmas. Holds one growler/four 12 oz/two bombers on each side.

Buddy went to Vancouver after Christmas and brought me a couple Four Winds bottles. The Vexillum is super solid, had it at the brewery last Spring.

Big thank you to Sefskillz and friends for the BCBS 14 and 15. It was nice meeting some new people. Hope you all have a safe and happy new year celebration while in town.

I only got two bottles lol, also got a bottle of Prairie Bomb (only one because they're charging $7.99) and a bottle of Abyss... Oh and I'm gonna open one of my BCBS and Big Bad Baptist tonight... WHEW
Had Limo Tint after lunch when I met Sefskillz. Before dinner had Xocoveza. Just finishing a bomber of Imperial Biscotti Bourbon aged. Might stop for a bit since there is champagne for later. But might dip into something else.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
2 delerium tremends and 3 rochefort, shoot me please lol kill this pain right now

kendrid

Banned
Yesterday I picked up a four pack of Founders Backwoods Bastard at a hole in the wall store where most people just buy Miller/Bud. I had one last night.

Today I went back and bought their last two 4 packs. This stuff is good.

Top Bottom