• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Heading down to Alameda/Oakland for a quick business trip next month. Anyone have brewery/bar recommendations for the area?

Like distantmantra said, Cellarmaker and The Rare Barrel are your best bet for breweries. I'd also add Faction (which is in Alameda, great hoppy beers) and Fieldwork (in Berkeley, near The Rare Barrel). Make sure you check the hours, TRB is only open Fri-Sun and has kinda annoying hours.

As far as bars go, it depends where you're staying but you'll have a lot of great options. Any styles you like in particular?

So now I am at Aces and Ales. I took a cab since it was faster. But after that cab ride cost $50, I think I will take the $5 train back. That is insane.
At least the beer list is fantastic. And the food better be good. I am going to take my sweet time here now after paying that much for a damn cab.

So now I am at Aces and Ales. I took a cab since it was faster. But after that cab ride cost $50, I think I will take the $5 train back. That is insane.
At least the beer list is fantastic. And the food better be good. I am going to take my sweet time here now after paying that much for a damn cab.

Tenaya Creek Brewing is within walking distance, too.

Shit. Full lunch and a flight of six beers was only $25. Worth it.

Edit: Uber ride back was only $21, and that was before $15 off. So ride back was only $6. Makes that ridiculous cab ride hurt less.

HiResDes

Just drank my last Xocoveza that I was trying to keep until my birthday in 3 weeks, I have no willpower and now I'm super sad. If I'm honest with myself I think I'd easily rank it in my top five favorite stouts I've ever had.

Just drank my last Xocoveza that I was trying to keep until my birthday in 3 weeks, I have no willpower and now I'm super sad. If I'm honest with myself I think I'd easily rank it in my top five favorite stouts I've ever had.

The base Xocoveza was better than the aged variants I thought. I think it is in the "if it aint broke..." category now.

Place around the corner from me (Brentwood Spirits) got another case in yesterday. I didn't pick up more bottles.

Anyone in Orange County/Anaheim area? Do you guys get Modern Times regularly? We're taking our daughter to Disneyland for her birthday next month and while I'd love to check out Noble, Bottle Logic or Bruery (this trip is for her, not beer), I'd also be ok with just having some MT cans to drink back at our AirBnB at night.

edit: Looks like they do based on some recent store reviews I found.

Also, Fort George is teaming up with Melvin and Barley Browns for the 2016 edition of 3-Way IPA. That might just give 2014 3-Way (Boneyard, Block 15) a run for it's money.

Had a glass of Barley Brown's Beer's Don Vanuchi "The Killer" 2015 Bourbon Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout yesterday, and it was really great. Good stuff coming out of northeast Oregon.

Had a glass of Barley Brown's Beer's Don Vanuchi "The Killer" 2015 Bourbon Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout yesterday, and it was really great. Good stuff coming out of northeast Oregon.

Barley Browns is awesome. Pallet Jack is a killer everyday flagship IPA, and they make some of the best fresh hop beers every Fall.

Lotto

Anyone in Orange County/Anaheim area? Do you guys get Modern Times regularly? We're taking our daughter to Disneyland for her birthday next month and while I'd love to check out Noble, Bottle Logic or Bruery (this trip is for her, not beer), I'd also be ok with just having some MT cans to drink back at our AirBnB at night.

Also, Fort George is teaming up with Melvin and Barley Browns for the 2016 edition of 3-Way IPA. That might just give 2014 3-Way (Boneyard, Block 15) a run for it's money.

Check out Mr. K's Liquor right next to the Bruery tasting room. It's awesome, I just went there last weekend after visiting both Noble and Bottle Logic! Crazy good selection of beers.

Check out Mr. K's Liquor right next to the Bruery tasting room. It's awesome, I just went there last weekend after visiting both Noble and Bottle Logic! Crazy good selection of beers.

Cool. Not sure if I'll get to check out any of the breweries, but we'll see. We're spending one day down in Long Beach visiting a cousin, so I'll at least get to have lunch and beers at Beachwood.

PG2G

Modern Times is pretty much at any decent bottle shop. If you're looking for anything specific I can probably pick it up and drop it off for you. I'm like 20 minutes from Long Beach

R1FyT_PYx9RumKKHFirEm_36u4IFKN6upZx5X9Jan92rHZOfncJLSMyZr7TbIv7ndJhiUWhKIC28IKbHqF78EaqBaSBSPconiWadRvY7cayAcLB6piyV5J2vMpD4HSyiOLvpccUh4v1XihEwbVSkwKUPVXOZ5KGPGEInKst8mSCS_T-zQ8CZjyUyulw0P8G0J_ptdX6LoNvlEL0ZR3svE2W_ZrfcjIcKnos3v3RQ7XERfBcPfjI6DGJ23UAvJ-vChZvZ1oQv-MHaqGcSmjRC0JAgZkx7hNIgznjX2nBptHuFLZuobqb2qxK6Mw7o3nXvrH1i5r_QmmpdfzWWGvtlQOvvFhx_O8Lizw5qSSExWq0_-0FR6c0KU27SFieBCQcoqjzQ5mP8gr02f2TueP9gw9ec08R0axOR5gfiso3xPU_FPXGWCKsNSAPUmc5vkJMCTa6C5qaCLSLpKO9ti1-dJ49duvq_nBAHrv3JiVAJ6DmdI9ZHFL_xi4i6ZLRhH8yDc3KT1pTfi89qJdBQEQI5_sSP1JavwKpA2hbMa5-n2t8RRjELOK4UBbsXpCupBjA-=w925-h1245-no

Ooo, baby.

Rye Whiskey variant coming into my local shop tomorrow.

Not a fan of the Cognac Abyss, but the Rye version is damn good.

Modern Times is pretty much at any decent bottle shop. If you're looking for anything specific I can probably pick it up and drop it off for you. I'm like 20 minutes from Long Beach

Nothing specific, wife reminds me constantly that this is our kid's trip. I'm happy to enjoy some shelf beers.

riotous

Banned
Have you tried that yet distantmantra?

I saw that at Chuck's last night but didn't grab one. Couldn't find any info online about it.

Have you tried that yet distantmantra?

I saw that at Chuck's last night but didn't grab one. Couldn't find any info online about it.

Nope, looks like a new beer with only something like 19 check-ins on Untappd.

Most de Garde purchases are blind buys for me unless it's a beer they pour at the parties in Tillamook, since we don't get kegs up here yet.*

*Holy Mountain sometimes (ie. twice) gets kegs since they send beer down to de Garde for the parties.

Nope, looks like a new beer with only something like 19 check-ins on Untappd.

Most de Garde purchases are blind buys for me unless it's a beer they pour at the parties in Tillamook, since we don't get kegs up here yet.*

*Holy Mountain sometimes (ie. twice) gets kegs since they send beer down to de Garde for the parties.

12592749_1131644300209703_5684928072463507789_n.jpg

De Garde's last image on their FB page. Looks like you got hit by a bit of a markup.

Well I filled up my Hydroflask growler with beer for the first time. Got me some North Wind Imperial Stout. Not my first choice but I was dying to use the growler and the price was just about right for the beer. Gonna enjoy me some this weekend.

boxter432

Liqour store a block from me was randomly closed tonight, lights off, not sure why. Went to another and randomly picked up Hop Nosh IPA by Uinta Brewing. Never heard of the brewery but felt like trying something new (and strong ha). Isn't too bad! Pretty piney but still drinkable/not too harsh. Had a couple deschuttes fresh squeezed earlier as well. Picked up some Grain Belt Premo for when I get sick of hops. (Yes I live in MN)

HiResDes

Finally checking out PAM and I just have to say it's very very interesting actually. Cold I feel like the hops have more room to breathe and are more apparent, but it seems to get sweeter as it warms and the maple/higher alcohol content kind of lend it this woodsy barleywine feel. It has this piney taste from the hops and then coupled with this maple finish makes for like an edible version of a maple tree. Barrels definitely would have been better used for CBS, but this is still not bad.

Lotto

Always jealous of de Garde postings here. Only had Stone Bu and Spruce Desay from them but they were phenomenal. Any news if they're going to expand distribution in the future?

Top Bottom