• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Grabbed two bottles of the Stone Encore Chocolate Oatmeal Stout tonight. Still no Enjoy By here in KY. Grrr. Now thinking I should have gotten those when I was in CA last week. But, whatever.

Lotto

Really digging Lost Abbey's barrel aged beers. Had the Track 8 and Deliverance and both are exceptional.

Track 8 is so good, it's one of my favorite beers. Tastes like goddamn bourbon raisin bread. It's my favorite from them next to Duck Duck Gooze, but it's way more accessible. Got 2 bottles in storage, one from 2014 and one from 2015. Need to find an occasion to pop one open.

PG2G

Track 8 is so good, it's one of my favorite beers. Tastes like goddamn bourbon raisin bread. It's my favorite from them next to Duck Duck Gooze, but it's way more accessible. Got 2 bottles in storage, one from 2014 and one from 2015. Need to find an occasion to pop one open.

Wouldn't sit on Track 8 too long, definitely gets worse with time.

riotous

Banned
Wouldn't sit on Track 8 too long, definitely gets worse with time.

It's bewildering not knowing what to age and what to drink right away.

Guess it will just take time and experimentation as I haven't been at this long.

Anything with fruit added it seems like you wouldn't want to wait too long; but then again.. you have stuff like wine that kind of makes that thought illogical.

riotous

Banned
Damn back problem still bugging me; might need to wheel chair it around the Seattle Center for this Belgian fest. That should be fun lol.

Wife is out town, parents keeping the kid overnight.

I'm at Cloudburst. Gonna hit Holy Mountain, Mollusk and then end up at Slowboat Tavern for Guy's night.

I might be heading your way Saturday, could drop one off for ya. Is there much Central State Brewing floating around BG? I read they distribute to KY but I can't remember ever seeing it

I don't recognize anything on their beer list, so doubt they hit around here.

And I haven't checked around town since getting back from CA earlier this week, so no idea what leaked in. Although I did hear that barrel aged Prairie Bomb is hitting next week, which makes me happy.

PG2G

It's bewildering not knowing what to age and what to drink right away.

Guess it will just take time and experimentation as I haven't been at this long.

Anything with fruit added it seems like you wouldn't want to wait too long; but then again.. you have stuff like wine that kind of makes that thought illogical.

Anything with any sort of adjuncts (cinnamon, vanilla, etc) you're going to want to drink fresh. Only beers I sit on on purpose are stuff like lambic or beers that are too boozy.

riotous

Banned
That was my plan tonight as well. Assuming I can get my wife to stop playing Destiny lol.

@PG2G: Thanks for the advice; I guess that makes sense. Most of these beers offer up a suggestion somewhere; if not on the bottle/label on the brewery site. I guess it'd just be nice to have a list of adjuncts and what they typically "do" over time; if something merely fades in flavor vs. changes in some way (and what people's opinion of said change.) I'll certainly be aging quite a few adjuncts so I guess I'll learn the hard way lol.

Adjuncts don't age well regardless of what they are.

Coffee turns into green peppers.
Oh man. I've tasted so many coffee beers that do that even when fresh. I typically blame it on using a roast that's too light. A lot of people seem to think that a lighter roast will give you more subtle flavors. In brewed coffee, maybe that's true. For a beer, you're going to lose most of the subtlety of the coffee, anyway. You're better going for a real dark roast. It means you can use less coffee and the high heat cooks off a lot of that disgusting vegetal stuff.

Every time I taste a green pepper coffee beer, it makes me wonder if they never properly piloted the stuff before production.

riotous

Banned
Well you mentioned the CBom aged fine for a year distanmantra; I imagine chocalate might age OK too.

edit: Either way appreciate the feedback, I'll definitely be buying less of the adjunct beers in the future for aging purposes. I've been buying 2 of everything so I just have too many to get through so almost by way of necessity some will end up aged. But I'll prioritize drinking them/bring them to parties, etc. based on the feedback here.

riotous

Banned
I love the Christmans Bomb; my wife and I have been looking around for the Prarie Bomb but they claimed they aren't getting another shipment until March.

Lotto

I saw someone mention prairie bomb.

Is that popular here on gaf? Here in ok it's a pretty regular drink lol

I have one sitting in my cabinet but they're quite pricey, around $11 a 12oz bottle here. Would love to call it a regular drink down here since I've heard the flavor profile is comparable to Xocoveza but with that price I don't think I can.

I love the Christmans Bomb; my wife and I have been looking around for the Prarie Bomb but they claimed they aren't getting another shipment until March.

I had Bomb on tap last night at Slowboat Tavern. It was fine.

I'm not just saying that to be "cool" or anything. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't all that impressed with it.

Speaking of Slowboat, very cool little bar down in Columbia City.

DP1uIPT.jpg

fat pat

I had Bomb on tap last night at Slowboat Tavern. It was fine.

I'm not just saying that to be "cool" or anything. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't all that impressed with it.

Speaking of Slowboat, very cool little bar down in Columbia City.

I actually really didnt like Bomb! that much. Maybe i had a bad bottle, but i thought it was an acetaldehyde monster. Unbalanced and hot and weird.

I much prefer the Orval in your glass.

riotous

Banned
Yeah I've only had the Christmas Bomb!; that's interesting that you guys aren't real keen on the regular Bomb.

I definitely recommend the Christmas Bomb! if you like spiced beers.

I feel like Bomb is overly soy sauce-ish and one dimensional. [shrug]

I actually really didnt like Bomb! that much. Maybe i had a bad bottle, but i thought it was an acetaldehyde monster. Unbalanced and hot and weird.

I much prefer the Orval in your glass.

That's not Orval in the glass. Holy Mountain's Covenant barrel-fermented saison. One of my favorite HM beers.

There was one bottle of Bo & Luke on the shelf. I almost got it, but they had a bottle of Nates Coffee Stout as well, which I hadn't tried before. I feel I made the right choice.

I bought a 2 dollar can of IPA beer today that was disgusting! I had to throw it away. This has never happened to me before with a beer.

(I think it was Sierra Nevada.)

tmac456

doing cellar inventory right now and a little shocked at just how much beer i've accumulated in the past year

trying to figure out the best way to organize all of it... any recommendations?

doing cellar inventory right now and a little shocked at just how much beer i've accumulated in the past year

trying to figure out the best way to organize all of it... any recommendations?
I would say by style or brewery. And maybe date each bottle.

I've never done it, but it seems the most logical way.

PG2G

Received a pretty awesome box from MA today. Have only had one beer from Trillium before, it was a damn good Ipa. Looking forward to trying these.

Also got an awesome box from Seattle last weekend. Got into the Holy Mountain and DE Garde already. Can't wait to try the Fremont

Yes, I have waaaaaay too much beer

Lotto

God. Damn.

Jealous.

I have a pretty ridiculous collection growing myself, but based on what I've read in this thread I should probably start drinking them.

riotous

Banned
Was in the middle of building my racks and doing inventory when I threw my back out. It's one rack and a pile of boxes at this point lol.

skynidas

Banned
how much do you guys pay for Founders KBS in the US? I just bought one for 9 euros here in Madrid and they gifted me a Founders Glass, is that a lot? It's the first time I see it out here.

how much do you guys pay for Founders KBS in the US? I just bought one for 9 euros here in Madrid and they gifted me a Founders Glass, is that a lot? It's the first time I see it out here.

$25/4pack I think is "retail". Stores will obviously take advantage of hype and mark up accordingly.

Xun

Top Bottom